Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Early Childhood Reading

Message 1 of 7

@rker321 wrote:

RK  I would appreciate if you don't consider yourself a racist because of the article that you have posted, believe me, we in this message board are pretty intelligent adults and know and read a lot.

So, yes, home and parenting have a lot to do, in all of  this, and schools and laws have also to do  in  order to create a more impartial society.

What the article mentions is nothing new. and it has nothing to do with black families, come to the South and see who teaches their children about racism  and then make your own conclusions.

I fully agree - it was about the contribution of parenting to education or all children. As was the earlier topic which, for some reason, was declared racist.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

@gruffstuff wrote:

Early Childhood Reading

The best path to keep low income families out of poverty is family planing.

The best path out of poverty is education.

Maxwell seems to suggest a liberal education can be self taught, which in effect is what a liberal education is.

I don't know about young children doing that, growing up what I wanted to do was go outside and play. That from a middle class family that owned a home with both parents.

Maxwell said he could read before he started school, I could count to ten, knew my ABCS,  knew colors, and could print my name when I started school at five.

So he had me beat.

I don't disagree learning can be self taught, I just question how many people actually do that, particularly children.

This is why we have schools and public education, , affordable books have been around since the 1400s. 

Books and reading are part of the solution, but schools and schooling are still necessary.

Blaming children of what their parents did or didn't do is not the solution.

The best path is to give children everything they need to succeed at an early age, and I'm not just talking about books, food ( hard to read when hungry ) , shelter, that quiet place Maxwell mentions, medical care, ( can't read if you need glasses or have a tooth ache right? ) 

A comprehensive approach, not just saying your parents should have taught you better.

I grew up like you did and I agree with your points about family planning and education.

I do believe that education is very much based on the mind set and preparation a child takes to school. That is where the parents get involved.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

@nctarheel wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Here is an interesting op/ed on a subject brought up earlier. In the earlier discussion of the point those who see the world through their prism of race accused the op and others of racism.

I wonder if I will be considered racist because of this or if the author will.

https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/columns/maxwell-the-joy-of-reading-from-father-to-son-to-daughter-t...

If you remember, the prism of race was injected into an otherwise uplifting story of a BLACK MAN who had lifted himself into one of the top positions in the nation with the help of reading and his mother.

The prism of race was the use of this image of Ben Carson, a SUCCESSFUL BLACK MAN, to send the two messages "DON'T BLAME" and "DON'T MAKE EXCUSES". These "INSTRUCTIONS" were highlighted in red and inserted directly below Ben Carson's image so it was clear that there was a racial component to it.

While you argued that those instructions are good advice to anyone; their placement on that particular post made it clear the "INSTRUCTIONS" were not directed to the public at large.

It is good advice for PEOPLE. Anyone seeing a racial component has a problem that they should seek help for.

Maxwell is black was his advice for blacks, for whites, or for people?

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

RK  I would appreciate if you don't consider yourself a racist because of the article that you have posted, believe me, we in this message board are pretty intelligent adults and know and read a lot.

So, yes, home and parenting have a lot to do, in all of  this, and schools and laws have also to do  in  order to create a more impartial society.

What the article mentions is nothing new. and it has nothing to do with black families, come to the South and see who teaches their children about racism  and then make your own conclusions.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

Early Childhood Reading

The best path to keep low income families out of poverty is family planing.

The best path out of poverty is education.

Maxwell seems to suggest a liberal education can be self taught, which in effect is what a liberal education is.

I don't know about young children doing that, growing up what I wanted to do was go outside and play. That from a middle class family that owned a home with both parents.

Maxwell said he could read before he started school, I could count to ten, knew my ABCS,  knew colors, and could print my name when I started school at five.

So he had me beat.

I don't disagree learning can be self taught, I just question how many people actually do that, particularly children.

This is why we have schools and public education, , affordable books have been around since the 1400s. 

Books and reading are part of the solution, but schools and schooling are still necessary.

Blaming children of what their parents did or didn't do is not the solution.

The best path is to give children everything they need to succeed at an early age, and I'm not just talking about books, food ( hard to read when hungry ) , shelter, that quiet place Maxwell mentions, medical care, ( can't read if you need glasses or have a tooth ache right? ) 

A comprehensive approach, not just saying your parents should have taught you better.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

@rk9152 wrote:

Here is an interesting op/ed on a subject brought up earlier. In the earlier discussion of the point those who see the world through their prism of race accused the op and others of racism.

https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/columns/maxwell-the-joy-of-reading-from-father-to-son-to-daughter-t...

If you remember, the prism of race was injected into an otherwise uplifting story of a BLACK MAN who had lifted himself into one of the top positions in the nation with the help of reading and his mother.

The prism of race was the use of this image of Ben Carson, a SUCCESSFUL BLACK MAN, to send the two messages "DON'T BLAME" and "DON'T MAKE EXCUSES". These "INSTRUCTIONS" were highlighted in red and inserted directly below Ben Carson's image so it was clear that there was a racial component to it.

While you argued that those instructions are good advice to anyone; their placement on that particular post made it clear the "INSTRUCTIONS" were not directed to the public at large.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Early Childhood Reading

Message 7 of 7

Kudos
Views
Replies