Honored Social Butterfly

E-Verify should be the law everywhere

"Florida Ron DeSantis (R-FL) signed into law this week a statewide mandatory E-Verify law that will ban public employers from hiring illegal aliens over American citizens and legal immigrants."

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
Honored Social Butterfly

I think we are all ok using e-verify.  Think of the home grown rapists, murderers, and thieves we can catch this way. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Since its inception, E-Verify has been one of the most successful tools available to address illegal employment, which is widely acknowledged as the primary motivation for illegal immigration. The Center's new Data Portal for government statistics includes noteworthy current data showing continued growth in E-Verify usage.

https://cis.org/Huennekens/EVerify-Continues-Grow

Social Butterfly

Did Trump e-verify his employees at Miro Swampo and all the other resorts he hired illegals to mop the floors? Lets see those records.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Since its inception, E-Verify has been one of the most successful tools available to address illegal employment, which is widely acknowledged as the primary motivation for illegal immigration. The Center's new Data Portal for government statistics includes noteworthy current data showing continued growth in E-Verify usage.

https://cis.org/Huennekens/EVerify-Continues-Grow

It has had its share of problems but most of them are from under funding. I love the idea of hitting the businesses which support the Regressive movement with huge fines when E Verify tells them it is ok to hire someone who is not a legal resident. 

Another thought is to expand E-Verify so it catches fugitives, child support scofflaws, and people with too many unpaid parking tickets.  This is going to be a great tool. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva   If I remember correctly the biggest  employers of illegal aliens were the Construction industry and the service industry.
Many small businesses operated with many illegals because they would save money not only on salaries but also on taxes. 
I have been  speaking in this message board about a comprehensive immigration Law sine the days of Bush as President. and we still do not have one.
So now is a problem? It has always been a problem. and it has never been a priority for any party to resolve.
I don't know if we ever will see a fundamental and comprehensive program regarding immigration. because the people that need to do that have always been too partisan in resolving this issue.

no name
Social Butterfly

Who will pick our fruit and wash our cars and do the lawn?

Certainly not white teenage American kids out of school.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777   Where has De Santis been. E-verify has been the law in many States for over 30 years I thought that it was a Federal Law. and that all employers had to e-verify before they hired.
Supposedly e-verify can check the immigration status thru INS and whether  those provided papers are ok or not. 
 We used to verify immigration status of all that applied for welfare in California 20 years ago. and we never  encoutered any fraud.  once we used the e-verify method.
I was not aware that Florida didn't use e-verify but is not surprising this is the South, what can you expect.

no name
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Apparently Trump did not e verify his staff at all of his resorts, and Miro Swampo Largo, either.

Honored Social Butterfly

Ive been gone a while, but i see some things never change. like you being wrong. I was using e verify 20 years ago in Michigan. Why was DeSantis so far behind the times?

So it begins.
Social Butterfly

Kudos to Governor DeSantis!  👍

TRUMP-PENCE 2020!!! To Save This Country From The Insanity of The Dems!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Bronx Cheers to GOPerGov DeSantis! His ignorant Toad Worship is going to kill tens of thousands of elderly Floridians and his anti-immigrant legislation will reward employers for paying their workers $4.35/hour while treating them like slaves.

Regressives automatically cheer whatever Fox tells them is laudable and are tearful when someone points out the reality of their fraudulent heros and heroism.

Honored Social Butterfly

"Ten of thousand elderly will die"... that title is already taken by Gov "Fredo" Cuomo. 

How do you feel about the current reigning champion of death? 

Average farm wage in FL is $11.93 plus OT.  Although it's not a living wage by city standards, in a rural small town by me (Indiantown), it's enough to get by,  especially when most live together multiple family units.  Always remember and never forget... the bottom rungs on a ladder are the most important. 

In addition the co op pays daily if asked. My church is active there and 

< 50% of the population is Hispanic (mostly Guatemalan).  The schools are A rated too. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Some of these number might shock you.... of course you have to read it. You can also find your home state on this site as well. This is Florida's stats.

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/data/unauthorized-immigrant-population/state/FL

Top Industries of Employment
Civilian employed population ages 16 and older406,000100%
Construction80,00020%
Accommodation and food services, arts, entertainment, and recreation78,00019%
Professional, scientific, management, administrative, and waste management services72,00018%
Retail trade49,00012%
Other services (except public administration)42,00010%

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In addition to deporting the undocumented workers discovered by enforcing his new law, Regressive darling DeSantis will impose a crippling $500.00 FINE on those who hire the undocumented workers.

But a study of unfair labor practices by Target proved the following: Depositions from both sides also showed that the janitors often worked 60 or more hours each week, yet according to testimony, were never paid overtime. While Target kept records of the workers’ hours, Jim’s Maintenance did no such thing and instead tracked only days worked. The wages the workers did receive often came out well below minimum wage — in at least one case to the equivalent of $4.35 an hour.

Quick math quiz: How many hours labor at the sub-standard rates paid undocumented workers does a Regressive hiring said workers need to cover the DeSantis fine?\

$7.25/hr - $4.35/hr = $2.90/hr, $500/$2.90/hr = 172 HOURS, or less than 3 workers for 1 week at the "average" 60 hour week.

Yeah, GOPers sure are getting tough on the ones who prey on the undocumented - why I bet nobody will risk that $500 fine just to save $2.90 for every hour their quasi-slave is worked - and if you believe that, let's talk about this great ocean-front property I've got for you in Arizona.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Olderscout66 wrote:

In addition to deporting the undocumented workers discovered by enforcing his new law, Regressive darling DeSantis will impose a crippling $500,00 FINE on those who hire the undocumented workers.

I think the Regressives should push this one through and the Democrats should demand that the program have metrics to judge its success.  How much time does it add to the hiring process, for instance.  Which companies have been excused from paying the fines?  Then sit back and watch the first time Chick-Fil-A catches a couple hundred grand in fines and watch the legislation get rolled back. 

In short, the usual from the Regressives.  No real legislation. Just posturiing for the base. 

Honored Social Butterfly

I am good with using E-Verify but the Libertarian Cato institute found that 54 percent of unauthorized workers got through.  If we are going this route, requiring every American Citizen to have something like SecureID.  I am not excited about the idea of requiring "papers" for all citizens but if that is what the right wants. 

An audit of the system by the firm Westat found that an estimated 54 percent of unauthorized workers were incorrectly found to be work authorized by E-Verify because of rampant document fraud. E-Verify relies upon the documents presented by the workers themselves to their employer.

https://www.cato.org/blog/serious-problems-e-verify#:~:text=An%20audit%20of%20the%20system,workers%2... 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png