Honored Social Butterfly

Dozens protest Pence at Taylor University commencement

Dozens of graduates and faculty have protested the selection of Vice President Mike Pence as the commencement speaker at Taylor University in Indiana by walking out moments before his introduction.

The Indianapolis Star reports the protesters in caps and gowns rose and quietly walked down the aisle and out of the auditorium in the Kesler Student Activities Center at the university in Upland, Indiana.

The protest was planned and discussed prior to Saturday's ceremony. Some faculty and students at the nondenominational Christian liberal arts school debated the appropriateness of the former Indiana governor at the commencement ceremony.

Most of Taylor's graduating class did not leave. Pence received a standing ovation.

Graduate Laura Rathburn said Pence's "presence makes it difficult for everyone at Taylor to feel welcomed."

NOTE - Taylor University is a private, interdenominationalevangelical Christian college in Upland, Indiana, United States. Founded in 1846, it is one of America's oldest evangelical Christian colleges.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

The complaint by the University Staff and Students was about equal rights and acceptance of people in the LGBTQ community.     That small break is what many of the far-right evangelical churches are seeing, including the grand-daddy - Baptist flock.    So yea to that!

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

Thanks, Centrist. I had heard this discussed on NPR yesterday morning, and they said students might protest. One kid (sorry, adult, lol) said that he felt very uncomfortable with Pense’s support of Trump, who has very questionable moral character and policies. I meant to follow up to see what actually happened, so thanks for the article.

I know several very young evangelical Christians (early 20s) who are turning away from Trump and the Republican party. That’s anecdotal only, of course. But they are not following down their parents’ path. They are NOT liberals. But the Republican party is not comporting with their idea of Christian values. They are turning out to be more compassionate independents....it’s fascinating to watch. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Thanks, Centrist. I had heard this discussed on NPR yesterday morning, and they said students might protest. One kid (sorry, adult, lol) said that he felt very uncomfortable with Pense’s support of Trump, who has very questionable moral character and policies. I meant to follow up to see what actually happened, so thanks for the article.

I know several very young evangelical Christians (early 20s) who are turning away from Trump and the Republican party. That’s anecdotal only, of course. But they are not following down their parents’ path. They are NOT liberals. But the Republican party is not comporting with their idea of Christian values. They are turning out to be more compassionate independents....it’s fascinating to watch. 

Whew!  So there is hope in our future,,,,,

Image result for winking gif

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png