Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Donald Trump may be the worst President in our country's history

Message 11 of 89

The following is the most hypocritical and ironic comment of the day. "You vote for the anti-American, pro death abortion rights Democrats with all their support for anything illegal and immoral. "

Illegal and Immoral? I would be LOL if it weren't so serious. The author of the sentence above offers 100% support to a President who:

• is a PATHOLOGICAL LIAR
  • surrounds himself with CONVICTED FELONS
  • is in love with brutal dictator KIM JONG UN
  • has no respect for 'THE RULE of LAW"
  • listens to Vladimir Putin and ignores U.S. Intelligence Reports
  • has been accused of sexual assault by 24 women
  • describes the FREE PRESS as an "Enemy of the People"
  • believes the U.S. Attorney General works for him as opposed to the American people
  • etc.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Donald Trump may be the worst President in our country's history

Message 12 of 89

I'm addressing your specific comment that President Trump never served in the military and that he is less deserving of being president because of that, which means by your reasoning only presidents that served in the military were fit for office. As for abortion, prior to Roe v. Wade if a woman made a poor choice to seek a back alley abortion that is her responsibility, not mine, not anyone pro-life, only her. You don't like funding things with your taxes, I don't like funding murder of innocent children under the sick guise of women's right to choose. I'd stand for the right of a baby to live before I would a criminal on death row. You think they're both innocent? Try again. Planned Parenthood is just a front to funnel money to doctors, whether legally or illegally. If Roe is ever overturned you can bet abortion doctors will run the streets even redder than they are now. You vote for the anti-American, pro death abortion rights Democrats with all their support for anything illegal and immoral. I'll vote for life and true liberty. Keep your head stuck in the sand.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 89

@lk152 wrote:

Tex; Herbert Hoover did not serve in any elected office. However he did serve eight years as Secretary of Commerce under the Harding and Coolidge adminstrations. Many historians believe that he was one of the best Secretaries of Commerce. So, perhaps I should amend my phrase that Donald Trump is the first President in our history to have never served in the military, held any elected office or any other government position. There, does that satisfy you.

What is the difference if Trump has never served in the military, especially when a comparison is made with Clinton's non-service.  In my opinion it has nothing to do with either being elected President.  Especially when many here hasn't served either.  In fact there is some here who is concerned about that when they themselves managed to avoid service during the Vietnam conflict.  I cannot understand how anyone who avoided military service in some way themselves can denigrate Trump or anyone for doing the same.

It doesn't matter if one supports either Trump or Clinton when bringing this comparison up.  Nixon served in the military, yet had to resign to avoid impeachment.  Other military leaders in our history proved to have poor records as President.  What matters is if a President received the sufficient electoral votes to be elected to that office.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 89

Lk152 wrote-Donald Trump has none of Reagan's qualities or respect for the office. Instead Trump sees the office of President of the United States as a means of enriching himself and implementing his racist beliefs. Unlike Reagan, when Donald Trump is out of office and dead, there will be no public buildings, airports or any schools bearing his name. In addition most likely all the buildings presently carrying his name will be carrying another name as well.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Trump has a lot  more Reagan  traits than any of the Dem. wanna be`s.  Don`t think Trump is making Great again to have buildings and highways named after him .(He has 50 other buildings and other structures named after him.) Of course the present Trump haters will never see what great things are happening but their children and grand children will benefit from them.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 89

easyed; Ronald Reagan was a good President, but not a great President. I voted for him twice and although I did not agree on everything he did during his presidency, I never doubted his sincerity and conviction that he had the nation's best interests at heart. Reagan was also a decent man who never demonized his political opponents. In fact, he had many spirited discussions with House Speaker Tip O'Neil. Then after the discussions, he and O'Neil would sit and have some whiskey like two Irishmen. Ronald Reagan had a lot of respect for the office of President as well as the traditions of the office. 

Donald Trump has none of Reagan's qualities or respect for the office. Instead Trump sees the office of President of the United States as a means of enriching himself and implementing his racist beliefs. Unlike Reagan, when Donald Trump is out of office and dead, there will be no public buildings, airports or any schools bearing his name. In addition most likely all the buildings presently carrying his name will be carrying another name as well. 

Last fall I spent a weekend in Baltimore. Spiro Agnew was from a Baltimore suburb and was governor of Maryland, then Vice President under Richard Nixon. To my knowledge, no Marylander has ever been elected President so Agnew being Vice President was a pretty good honor. Except that Agnew resigned as part of a plea deal involving corruption while he was governor of Maryland. I noticed that there are no public buildings in Baltimore or Annapolis bearing Spiro Agnew's name on them.

In fact I wonder is there are any public buildings or structures in Maryland bearing his name. BTW, Spiro Agnew died in 1996 at the age of 77. He lived out his life in obscurity in a small town in Maryland. 

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 89

Tex; Herbert Hoover did not serve in any elected office. However he did serve eight years as Secretary of Commerce under the Harding and Coolidge adminstrations. Many historians believe that he was one of the best Secretaries of Commerce. So, perhaps I should amend my phrase that Donald Trump is the first President in our history to have never served in the military, held any elected office or any other government position. There, does that satisfy you.

That still doesn't make Donald Trump a competent President. Trump has no clue about how government operates as well as the constitutional system of checks and balances. Being President of the United States is radically different than being the head of a closed family corporation. In fact I doubt that Donald Trump could pass the test on American history and government required for citizenship.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 89

lk152 WROTE-But you cannot turn back the clock, nor can you put the toothpaste back into the tube once it is out. Donald Trump's presidency is the last gasp of a dying demographic in the United States. After he is no longer President and even after his death; i do not expect any high schools or public buildings bearing his name. He will be forgotten and remembered only as being the most corrupt as well as most incompetent President in history------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------SIMILAR THINGS WERE SAID ABOUT REAGAN-NOW CONSIDERED THE BEST PRESIDENT IN MODERN TIMES. LINCOLN WAS THE MOST UNPOPULAR PRESIDENT IN HISTORY BEFORE HE Was WAS ASSASSINATED. HATED BY BOTH THE SOUTH AND THE NORTH BUT NOW CONSIDERED THE GREATEST PRESIDENT IN HISTORY. I THINK I`LL BOOK A FLIGHT TO REAGAN AIRPORT IN D.C. ON MY NEXT TRIP.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 89

The GOPerLords have ALWAYS used immigrants to drive down American wages, including children younger than 10 in the shops, mines and factories where they worked naked because it was less likely they would get pulled into the machinery.

We the People were so outraged at the conditions GOPerLords forced on those children we passed Child Labor Laws, but the GOPerLords simply paid to elect GOPers who passed legislation that allowed child labor to continue under the guise of "contract labor".

If you buy a stolen car, you don't get to keep it because somebody else stole it.

If you use undocumented immigrants, including children, the fact someone else smuggled them across the border should not keep YOU out of jail.

Want the laws changed, stop electing GOPers committed to continuing the supply of cheap immigrant labor to suppress American wages and enhance GOPerLord profits.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 89

@lk152 wrote:

Donald Trump is the first President in our history who has not served in the military or held any previous elected office. 

I don't believe that Hoover had any military service when he was elected President, nor did he ever held a previous elected office.  Appointed as Secretary of Commerce, yes, plus being involved in several special appointed positions.  Technically there are other Presidents that could be said not to have military service such as Jefferson, Adams, etc.

One would have to wonder how many of those here who avoided the draft in one way or another during Vietnam never served either.  In my opinion, anyone criticizing Trump for avoiding the draft should at least say that Clinton was as guilty at avoiding military service.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 89

ChrisF949972; again you seem to engage in selective reading. This is from the article you shared in your post:

While conditions were poor under Obama's administration, some things appear to have grown worse during Trump's tenure. A report by The Marshall Project found that the average daily population of migrants in detention centers has risen under Trump. During Obama's time in office, the number of detained migrants was generally between 30,000 and 40,000 on any given day. As of last year, the average under Trump was nearly 46,000—and that number has been on the rise. This has led to even more overcrowding and less resources, while conditions were already considered inhumane by many.

Hundred of migrant minors have also reportedly been held by CBP longer than the 72 hours legally allowed in recent months, according to data reported by The Washington Post at the end of May. In some cases, the children were kept in CBP custody for more than a week. Most of those children arrived in the country without a parent or legal guardian, but the Trump administration previously implemented a "zero tolerance" policy that resulted in thousands of family separations.

Under that decision, migrant children were separated from their parents. Although that controversial policy was ordered halted by a federal judge last year, DHS has struggled to account for all the children impacted and also to reunite all the separated families. Although family separations did occur under Obama and previous administrations, such decisions were relatively rare and not used to deter migrants from coming to the country.

There were also no migrant children who died while in CBP custody during the final six years of the Obama administration. Former DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen previously admitted that it had been more than a decade since a child had died in CBP detention until December of last year, when an eight-year-old Guatemalan national passed away on Christmas eve. Since then, at least four other children have died while detained.

Conditions were bad, but have gotten much worse under Trump. Also, improving those conditions requires money and that money has to be allocated by Congress. During the last six years of the Obama adminstration, the House was controlled by Republicans who were loathe to approve funds for anything that reeked of making conditions better for immigrants held in detention on our southern border. I am sure that had the congress been controlled by his party, that the conditions might have improved under President Obama. 

In addition Donald Trump is treating those immigrants who are seeking asylum as criminals. They are not criminals. They have not broken any of our laws and in fact are complying with both United States law and international law regarding immigrants seeking asylum in another country. Donald Trump is using his racism to stoke up his base of bigots against any immigrants of color. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors