From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Donald Trump may be the worst President in our country's history

Message 41 of 111

@lk152 wrote:

Donald Trump is the first President in our history who has not served in the military or held any previous elected office. 

I don't believe that Hoover had any military service when he was elected President, nor did he ever held a previous elected office.  Appointed as Secretary of Commerce, yes, plus being involved in several special appointed positions.  Technically there are other Presidents that could be said not to have military service such as Jefferson, Adams, etc.

One would have to wonder how many of those here who avoided the draft in one way or another during Vietnam never served either.  In my opinion, anyone criticizing Trump for avoiding the draft should at least say that Clinton was as guilty at avoiding military service.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 111

ChrisF949972; again you seem to engage in selective reading. This is from the article you shared in your post:

While conditions were poor under Obama's administration, some things appear to have grown worse during Trump's tenure. A report by The Marshall Project found that the average daily population of migrants in detention centers has risen under Trump. During Obama's time in office, the number of detained migrants was generally between 30,000 and 40,000 on any given day. As of last year, the average under Trump was nearly 46,000—and that number has been on the rise. This has led to even more overcrowding and less resources, while conditions were already considered inhumane by many.

Hundred of migrant minors have also reportedly been held by CBP longer than the 72 hours legally allowed in recent months, according to data reported by The Washington Post at the end of May. In some cases, the children were kept in CBP custody for more than a week. Most of those children arrived in the country without a parent or legal guardian, but the Trump administration previously implemented a "zero tolerance" policy that resulted in thousands of family separations.

Under that decision, migrant children were separated from their parents. Although that controversial policy was ordered halted by a federal judge last year, DHS has struggled to account for all the children impacted and also to reunite all the separated families. Although family separations did occur under Obama and previous administrations, such decisions were relatively rare and not used to deter migrants from coming to the country.

There were also no migrant children who died while in CBP custody during the final six years of the Obama administration. Former DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen previously admitted that it had been more than a decade since a child had died in CBP detention until December of last year, when an eight-year-old Guatemalan national passed away on Christmas eve. Since then, at least four other children have died while detained.

Conditions were bad, but have gotten much worse under Trump. Also, improving those conditions requires money and that money has to be allocated by Congress. During the last six years of the Obama adminstration, the House was controlled by Republicans who were loathe to approve funds for anything that reeked of making conditions better for immigrants held in detention on our southern border. I am sure that had the congress been controlled by his party, that the conditions might have improved under President Obama. 

In addition Donald Trump is treating those immigrants who are seeking asylum as criminals. They are not criminals. They have not broken any of our laws and in fact are complying with both United States law and international law regarding immigrants seeking asylum in another country. Donald Trump is using his racism to stoke up his base of bigots against any immigrants of color. 

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 111

Chris949972; you didn't read my line completely. I stated that Donald Trump is the first President in our history who has not served in the military or held any previous elected office. There have been several Presidents that never served in the military. FDR never served in the military and he is regarded by historians as one of this country's greatest Presidents. Also several Presidents never held any previous elected office. Dwight Eisenhower never held any previous elected office before becoming President. But he did lead the allied forces to victory in the Second World War. 

Donald Trump's presidency indicates that he lacks the dignity and respect for the office as well as the self discipline to serve as President of the United States. The fact that all five living former Presidents as well as well as the previous two Republican nominees for President (John McCain and Mitt Romney) did not vote for him speaks volumes regarding his fitness for the office. After Donald Trump's presidency is over and done; history will not be kind to his presidency. 

As far as abortion being a fundamental right, that is a fact and that issue was settled back in 1973. No one is forced to have an abortion, but if one doesn't believe in abortion, they simply don't have to have one. I would never vote for any candidate who would restrict any fundamental right as an American and that includes the right to a safe and legal abortion. If you believe that making abortions illegal again would stop them; guess again. It would be as effective as prohibition was as far as making Americans stop drinking alcoholic beverages. Abortions will go back underground where it was before 1973 with no regulations and no controls. In this country, everyone is entitled to have their own beliefs, but no one has the right to impose their beliefs on others. 

As far as illegal immigration, I addressed that in a previous post. But from reading your latest post, I believe that you fear more that because of immigration, by the middle of this century that white people will be a minority in the United States. Throughout his campaign and his presidency, Trump has relied on white fear as well as latent racism and bigotry. 

But you cannot turn back the clock, nor can you put the toothpaste back into the tube once it is out. Donald Trump's presidency is the last gasp of a dying demographic in the United States. After he is no longer President and even after his death; i do not expect any high schools or public buildings bearing his name. He will be forgotten and remembered only as being the most corrupt as well as most incompetent President in history. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 111

Neither Barack Obama nor Bill Clinton had any military service either, so that comment about President Trump never having served in the military holds no weight. You go ahead and vote for whichever candidate you want to. I expect that since military service is so important to your choice of who to vote for you should vote for Pete Buttigieg. I won't vote for any candidate who believes in abortion as a fundamental right, who believes that law enforcement officers are the enemy, that my life matters less because I'm white, or any candidate who believes that immigrants can live in America regardless of our laws that make it illegal for them to be here without a visa.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 111

@ChrisF949972 wrote:

He is certainly better as president of the United States than Obama. 

Putin's treasonous cowardly bone spur lying puppet is far less than half as good as any road kill skunk chosen at random...

History will record the details of tRump's mentally deranged perfidious treasonous behavior...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 111

The ACLU, in 2015, filed suit against CBP detention centers, citing the poor conditions, freezing temperatures, no access to decent medical care, showers, all the things the Trump administration is being charged with. Read this article:

https://www.newsweek.com/migrant-detention-centers-trump-obama-1447160

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 111

Chris, the point is that at least President Obama treated the migrants like humans, not as animals like Trump.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 111

So you think every minor in these Obama built camps are accompanied by their legal guardians? And you don't even know that not every minor during Obama's presidency in these detention centers was accompanied by their parents/legal guardians? You think they should be taken at their word? I'm fine with them staying with their parents, just not in America until they have attained legal citizenship. 

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 111

easyed598; go read my response to Chris949972's post. My post is rather long, but touches on a television program on a scandal involving illegal immigrants working at a poultry plant in your neck of the woods in Marion Ohio. 

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Donald Trump may be the worst President in our country's history

Message 50 of 111

The Fox propaganda network and right wing talk radio create a false illusion of America based on an array of lies. Trump supporters live and die with Fox because they incredibly believe it's a news program. They have no clue that Fox has mastered the techniques of Germany's Minister of Propaganda, Joseph Goebbels.

Since facts and the truth mean nothing in Trump World, they live in a FAKE NEWS environment, created by masters of propaganda who know their audience is putty.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors