Explore your flexible work options with AARP's Flexible Work Online Expo from 2-5 p.m. ET Tuesday! Register now.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Does the Republican base understand what a tariff does?

Message 31 of 118

@Richvawrote:

@rk9152wrote:

I believe that the intelligent American understands that international trade agreements are incredibly complex and do effect many parts of our economy. Some prices go up, some go down, some jobs are lost, some are gained. The bottom line is to let our trading partners around the world know that we have a new sheriff in town and he will protect American interests. It is the overall not the small picture specifics that determine success or failure.

I am not sure what prices go down when Trump implements a tariff which was declared against the General Agreement on Tariffs and Taxes once.  

Which products will come down in price because of this tariff? 

It is the other stuff that are part of the negotiations empowered by the use of tariffs.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 118

@Olderscout66wrote:

Der Trumper is a spoiled brat who takes no advice from anyone...but he does respond to a visit to the woodshed administered by his owners, the Oligarchs who run the businesses his stupidity would harm. So virtually nobody is being tarrifed except China, and they've already announced enough counter-tarrifs to erase any benefit we'd get from higher prices for steel and aluminium, so they will be "negotiated" away shortly.

Trump is a wandering disaster in everything he's ever tried, and the morons who elected him are getting to see this first hand. Good for them.

There are other issues involved in international trade agreement such as a nation subsidizing an industry so as to give it an advantage over competing industries in other nations. Tariffs are just one chip on the negotiating table - sorta like those tax cuts that brought Delta to GA.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 118

@john258wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

@john258wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

@john258wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

@Richvawrote:

@rk9152wrote:

I was addressing your comments about tariffs. Am I correct in my assumption that you are not Sec State? 

Heck dude. I did not originate the "Trump is a xxxxx moron" statement, Rex Tillerson did.  I did not originate the stories about how Trump can't read. His staff in NYC did.  Do some research dude.  Tariffs are legal if they are imposed under the conditions set forth in the international trade agreement the United States and the rest of the world signed.  I am trying to get you to read about it..................oh wait...............is that part a problem? Well, anyway, American and the world agreed not to impose tariffs except under certain well defined circumstances as adjudicated by the World Trade Association.  That does not make them illegal but it makes it part of international treaty. 

We can ignore those though, right? I mean, who needs international treaties like 

Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons? I mean, we can pick and chose which treaties to follow right?  And, which administrations have to follow them?  Of course, then we get back to the "moron" comment. 

Tillerson is not posting here.

Oh wait - any agreement can be renegotiated - that is the point of constant trade agreement negotiations. 

Here you see the far right show that they understand nothing about Tariffs. Trade agreements usually have a date when then end or can be renegotiated. History will tell you that after WW2 the use of Trade arguments was one of the big changes that took place to stop what had been never ending problems between nations over trade. It has worked and we now see a world economy. The WTO was formed so trade disputes between countries can be solved in a court rather than the battlefield. If you look at the supply chain between Canada, US, Mexico which came into play after NAFTA you get a better understanding of real trade. In my own state there are plants making things that go across the border and are used in MFG plants in Mexico, then back across the border and used as major parts in MFG in the US. My last car was 52% parts made in the US and Canada, engine made in Mexico, and assembled in the US. No the far right does not understand Tariffs, just like they do not understand any thing else about how government works. We now see what happens when you have Trump around. The end of what works. Our great depression was given its final push by new Tariffs. If Trump has his way we will see the same thing again. By the way what Trump is doing will destroy the WTO, so back to wars. I know that makes the far right happy as people will be hurt and killed.

Many words bouncing off the walls with a variety of subjects. But, despite the suggestion, is there any international trade agreement that the Administration has entered into in violation of any law or agreement? If not, your point is pointless.

You are asking questions again. You are not permitted to do that until you answer all of my questions. One thing all can see is that the far right do not understand anything about Tariffs so once again they prove what the experts tell us about them. Uneducated, rural, can not think for themselves, etc.

If course I can - don't be silly. However, as a public service, I shall attempt to answer any serious questions you have on this topic - please list them.

If you do not know about the legality of tariffs (the issue raised by Rich) you are not required to add your half-cent.

You can not and you get no answers so that proves it.  Try that again in rational English. When  the far right posts nothing but the lies their leaders tell them to I post truth. What would be great if everyone would limit their posting to people who can think and post for themselves not their masters.

Did you have something to offer on the topic or possibly you have prepared that list of questions that you are demanding that I answer.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 118

@rk9152wrote:

I believe that the intelligent American understands that international trade agreements are incredibly complex and do effect many parts of our economy. Some prices go up, some go down, some jobs are lost, some are gained. The bottom line is to let our trading partners around the world know that we have a new sheriff in town and he will protect American interests. It is the overall not the small picture specifics that determine success or failure.

I am not sure what prices go down when Trump implements a tariff which was declared against the General Agreement on Tariffs and Taxes once.  

Which products will come down in price because of this tariff? 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 118

Der Trumper is a spoiled brat who takes no advice from anyone...but he does respond to a visit to the woodshed administered by his owners, the Oligarchs who run the businesses his stupidity would harm. So virtually nobody is being tarrifed except China, and they've already announced enough counter-tarrifs to erase any benefit we'd get from higher prices for steel and aluminium, so they will be "negotiated" away shortly.

Trump is a wandering disaster in everything he's ever tried, and the morons who elected him are getting to see this first hand. Good for them.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 118

@rk9152wrote:

@john258wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

@john258wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

@Richvawrote:

@rk9152wrote:

I was addressing your comments about tariffs. Am I correct in my assumption that you are not Sec State? 

Heck dude. I did not originate the "Trump is a xxxxx moron" statement, Rex Tillerson did.  I did not originate the stories about how Trump can't read. His staff in NYC did.  Do some research dude.  Tariffs are legal if they are imposed under the conditions set forth in the international trade agreement the United States and the rest of the world signed.  I am trying to get you to read about it..................oh wait...............is that part a problem? Well, anyway, American and the world agreed not to impose tariffs except under certain well defined circumstances as adjudicated by the World Trade Association.  That does not make them illegal but it makes it part of international treaty. 

We can ignore those though, right? I mean, who needs international treaties like 

Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons? I mean, we can pick and chose which treaties to follow right?  And, which administrations have to follow them?  Of course, then we get back to the "moron" comment. 

Oh wait - any agreement can be renegotiated - that is the point of constant trade agreement negotiations. 

Here you see the far right show that they understand nothing about Tariffs. Trade agreements usually have a date when then end or can be renegotiated. History will tell you that after WW2 the use of Trade arguments was one of the big changes that took place to stop what had been never ending problems between nations over trade. It has worked and we now see a world economy. The WTO was formed so trade disputes between countries can be solved in a court rather than the battlefield. If you look at the supply chain between Canada, US, Mexico which came into play after NAFTA you get a better understanding of real trade. In my own state there are plants making things that go across the border and are used in MFG plants in Mexico, then back across the border and used as major parts in MFG in the US. My last car was 52% parts made in the US and Canada, engine made in Mexico, and assembled in the US. No the far right does not understand Tariffs, just like they do not understand any thing else about how government works. We now see what happens when you have Trump around. The end of what works. Our great depression was given its final push by new Tariffs. If Trump has his way we will see the same thing again. By the way what Trump is doing will destroy the WTO, so back to wars. I know that makes the far right happy as people will be hurt and killed.

Many words bouncing off the walls with a variety of subjects. But, despite the suggestion, is there any international trade agreement that the Administration has entered into in violation of any law or agreement? If not, your point is pointless.

You are asking questions again. You are not permitted to do that until you answer all of my questions. One thing all can see is that the far right do not understand anything about Tariffs so once again they prove what the experts tell us about them. Uneducated, rural, can not think for themselves, etc.

If course I can - don't be silly. However, as a public service, I shall attempt to answer any serious questions you have on this topic - please list them.

If you do not know about the legality of tariffs (the issue raised by Rich) you are not required to add your half-cent.

You can not and you get no answers so that proves it.  When  the far right posts nothing but the lies their leaders tell them to I post truth. What would be great if everyone would limit their posting to people who can think and post for themselves not their masters.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 118

@Richvawrote:

@rk9152wrote:

OK. The serious question is whether the GOP base understands that a tariff on steel will raise the price of domestically manufactured goods and not touch the price of imported goods? Why should we be making our products more expensive?

Does the base understand that other countries will retaliate with tariffs on our exports making our balance of trade worse?

Does the base understand that tariffs are remarkably ineffective in accomplishing any positive results?

The American keg company in the link below has been forced to lay off workers because of the tariff and more will come. 

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/24/596744980/trumps-tariffs-lead-to-layoffs-at-steel-beer-keg-company

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 118

@rk9152wrote:

OK. The serious question is whether the GOP base understands that a tariff on steel will raise the price of domestically manufactured goods and not touch the price of imported goods? Why should we be making our products more expensive?

Does the base understand that other countries will retaliate with tariffs on our exports making our balance of trade worse?

Does the base understand that tariffs are remarkably ineffective in accomplishing any positive results?

The American keg company in the link below has been forced to lay off workers because of the tariff and more will come. 

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/24/596744980/trumps-tariffs-lead-to-layoffs-at-steel-beer-keg-company

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 118

@john258wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

@john258wrote:

@rk9152wrote:

@Richvawrote:

@rk9152wrote:

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 118

Hmm, how about this:  While some wil wax poetically  we do have practical examples: 

Another controversial Trump administration policy took effect yesterday - tariffs on imported steel and aluminum. Some businesses are already feeling the impact. When the tariffs were first proposed, we talked to Paul Czachor. He's the CEO of the American Keg Company in Pottstown, Pa. The company bills itself as the only American keg manufacturer that uses 100 percent domestic steel. A few weeks ago, he was cautiously optimistic. But things look different for Czachor now.

PAUL CZACHOR: Ten out of 30 employees were let go, unfortunately. It's very disappointing. I mean, all of our employees count on us to help them support their families, so any time we have to let someone go, especially for no fault of their own, it's devastating.

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views