Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you have "SLIDER CRIMES" happening in your part of the country ?

Message 1 of 17

@GailL1 wrote:

@mickstuder 

Do you really think that has a place in this topic?

These incidents happen in a blink of an eye -

• you pull up to the gas pump
  • leave your car unlocked while pumping gas or have on the keyless start feature
  • women may leave their purse in the car and not lock it
  • the perpetrator (2) in the car - pass the car at the pump and the passenger gets down low and opens the car door on the other side of the pump (the "slider action")
  • sometimes they may just steal what is readily handy but other times it is the car itself they are after
  • when the pump is removed from the car by the owner doing the pumping, the car immediately pulls away followed by the other car.
  • gone is the car and whatever was in it - even the owners kid(s)

No wonder car insurance is getting higher here - Seems to me that if the insurance company can prove that the owner was negligent (leaving the car unlocked, leaving the keyless start in tack), the claim should be rejected.  Perhaps people will learn then to lock their car no matter for how long they are out of it -

I don't think you understand the concept - these Walls are legitimate - they are extremely portable - set up in under a minute & completely eliminate Slider Crimes .......

It's all about understanding the problem & then being willing to do the extensive research consulting with experts etc until you find the correct solution

You know just like Trump

Walls Work - Some would argue they can solve every - "Security Threat" - you've identified a serious threat to public safety & I share my solution & your critical

Thanks

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 17

@gruffstuff wrote:

Yea, you are pretty safe but still don't leave your keys in it.

But I do.

I don't lock the doors on it either.

I don't lock the doors on my house either, I don't even know where the house door keys are.

Well Don't post your address anywhere with this info -and don't take these habits to another area -

and don't buy/lease a 2019 luxury car or SUV and leave the keys in it or keep it in the keyless start mode.

Yes, it is different living in close proximity to major urban / suburban areas - my area is pretty rural but only because of the zoning (Water Protected area - everybody has have at least 3-acres to build).  I'm 30 miles outside the City of Atlanta but borders on several big suburban area.  Yes, gang activity (or maybe I should call it groups of affiliated teens) is emerging -

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 17

@mickstuder 

Do you really think that has a place in this topic?

These incidents happen in a blink of an eye -

• you pull up to the gas pump
  • leave your car unlocked while pumping gas or have on the keyless start feature
  • women may leave their purse in the car and not lock it
  • the perpetrator (2) in the car - pass the car at the pump and the passenger gets down low and opens the car door on the other side of the pump (the "slider action")
  • sometimes they may just steal what is readily handy but other times it is the car itself they are after
  • when the pump is removed from the car by the owner doing the pumping, the car immediately pulls away followed by the other car.
  • gone is the car and whatever was in it - even the owners kid(s)

No wonder car insurance is getting higher here - Seems to me that if the insurance company can prove that the owner was negligent (leaving the car unlocked, leaving the keyless start in tack), the claim should be rejected.  Perhaps people will learn then to lock their car no matter for how long they are out of it -

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 17

@mandm84 wrote:

Watching Fox5 , what a shock !! Fox Nation - Opinions Done RIGHT !!

?????????

Fox5 is our local news station - This is news.

Want me to post a link to the other local news stations - it is the same.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 17

Watching Fox5 , what a shock !! Fox Nation - Opinions Done RIGHT !!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 17

@GailL1 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Not here, at least not that I know of. But enough people in wealthy neighborhoods (Bethesda and Chevy Chase, I’m looking at you) leave their car doors unlocked in their driveways, and people steal stuff out of the cars ALL THE TIME. 

Yes, that happens here too -'that's where guns get stolen too.

Now, criminals -again young ones - are figuring out how to open garages and not only get to the cars but into the house too.

WHERE ARE THESE KIDS PARENTS????  Where ever they are, this is making it easy for gang recruitment.  BTW, girls and boys.

I can’t speak to other areas, but in my areas, in these wealthy neighborhoods, it’s a combo of petty criminals coming across the DC line AND the wealthy neighborhood teens, looking to sell stuff for more drug money.  Both groups of them.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 17

We get some of those in resort towns like Aspen, Vail, Steamboat Springs, Telluride, etc. - but very few in the town near where I live - we are one of the bedroom communities where those who commute for the big bucks in the resorts come home to sleep - and where ranchers live.

Last year some guy tried to steal a rancher's shiny new truck - the rancher uses a walking stick instead of a cane ever since a bull charged him on a horse and damaged his knee.

He jammed the walking stick through the window and got the guy that was trying to get the truck started right in the side of the head.   The guy's lawyer tried for a suit for personal injury and damages - thrown out of court - injuries incurred while committing a felony...

Personally I prefer dealing with the critters - deer, elk, moose (since transplantation, they are spreading throughout the mountains) bears, mountain lions, etc - to living anywhere near a metropolitan area with problem humans...

Lock the car?  

My newest vehicle is 18 years old - mechanically perfect - but the body is dented and the paint is ugly.  Nobody has tried to steal what looks like a "beater"...  Function is beauty - the rest is optional...

Lock the house?  So far the Rottie dogs and Pittie dogs keep strangers who enter from leaving once in the house...

One guy filed suit against me because the dogs kept him in the same place in a corner on the floor for most of the day until I came home...   

Suit thrown out of court - he was trespassing.   No evidence of dog tooth marks anywhere on him.

The dogs recognize and welcome friends.  (friends have been shown where doggy treats are located)

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 17

@GailL1 wrote:

Here in Atlanta, we are being inundated with them - everywhere.

I have always locked my car when I get gas - just do a mind check to have keys and credit card in my hand before locking my car. I immediately lock myself in after the transaction -

But I guess some people still forget cause everyday there are several incidents reported.

Fox5 02/21/2019 - Video: Thieves almost run over woman during slider crime

Pretty sure a lot of this is gang related - Course the cops are looking but few arrest made -   when there is, it is usually young to older teens.

Fox5 did an analysis last year and found they mostly occurred during morning rush hours - 6 am to 10 am - now it is happening at the evening rush hour ttoo.

Just be careful out there in case this begins to spread to your area.  Don't hold onto the car,  - even if you think you have a clear shot.

Not a issue for me here in NH - I carry a Portable Inflatable Trump WALL - it's with me in the back of my Pickup Truck at all times................................best part it was free - Mexico Paid For it!

Trump Inflatable Wall.png

Source - https://survitecgroup.com/media/342408/survitec_walls.pdf

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 17

Yea, you are pretty safe but still don't leave your keys in it.

But I do.

I don't lock the doors on it either.

I don't lock the doors on my house either, I don't even know where the house door keys are.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 17

Even though I do live out here with the deer and cougars, I started locking my sweet 93 Honda Accord in 2018 when learning it was the 2nd most stolen car in 2017.  The Civic was number 1.  (I think they're made into hot rods).

With all the snow and ice everyone has been experiencing, I haven't heard of cars stolen while left with the engine running to warm up.  People may just be being smart and not doing that anymore.

No sliders around here yet.

I was friends with a woman who was kidnapped in a large parking lot while attempting to get her baby buckled in its seat.  The criminal just took over and she complied with his directions.  He took them to a hotel room, made her take off her clothes, proceeded to drink one beer after another, allowed her to nurse the babe.  Hours went by, criminal finally passed out, she RAN with her baby out into the public, received help immediately.  Somehow the jerk got away.  Anyway, it is always good to be aware of your surroundings and have a plan for avoiding trouble whenever possible.

I also never stop anymore at night when an (apparent) police car wants to pull me over and we're in the middle of nowhere.  I'll wait to reach some form of civilization before stopping.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Call-in Event: Coronavirus: Maintaining Your Well-Being

Ask experts about the coronavirus, learn how to protect yourself, stay connected and cope with stress and anxiety brought on by the pandemic. Join AARP for a special call-in event April 9, at 1:00 pm (EDT).

You can participate by calling toll-free 1-855-274-9507.

Learn more about the event on our Tele-Town Hall page.

Top Authors