Social Butterfly

Do You Wear a Mask

If Yes why?

If no why?

Honored Social Butterfly

Just because the odds of catching this virus outside are lower does not mean that it's impossible.

YES I wear a mask, a compromised immune system is an 'extra' reason for me to do so, but I would still wear one if my immune system were normal. I have a few antiviral masks that I save to wear when I know I will be in a situation where I cannot social distance, I always wear one at the grocery or the doctor's office.  I have not been able to locate any more antiviral masks that I can purchase so I at least wear a regular exam or surgical mask under other situations. I wear one when I play golf, only in place over my nose and mouth when I am close to another. I wear one when I take walks, only having it in place if someone approaches me to talk, when alone I let it hang below my chin.

Anyone not wearing a mask today is simply being irresponsible and if they are ever infected (with or without knowing it) they are either directly or indirectly responsible for the death of others. This is simply the truth. Dangerous fools.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Esteemed Social Butterfly

Wear and have an assortment of masks, N-95 and cloth.

The cloth covers are for stores, post office, etc. N-95, gloves etc are work. Prefer not to put my paws on or in filth. And face shield appears if I need to clean c💩 from fans and chip coolers.

When walking or practice hiking, no mask required podunk town of 400, rest are self-isolating. 
But, always have spare on me, for black flies. 

You request one person back off and you’re given a wide berth.😷 

Have seen such an array of masks up here, everything from home made from socks to double filter Army surplus which could be used for gas attacks.

Young and old seem to know the rules, back off and don’t get in the face of anyone else.

No more than 4 people excluding employees are allowed in the convenience store at one time. And stand 6’ away, or further if you’re from away = anywhere other than MAine.

Yes, we have wingnuts who won’t wear masks, and our whippersnappers (16 and up) suggest they back-off (politely)😇

No one in our town has been infected, and our county number is low <14. The thing about a small population state is most everyone is aware of what a bugger this Pandemic can be.

And knows at least one or two who didn’t wear masks, and ended up with a respirator shoved down their throat for 2 weeks or more, until they either recovered or died.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

Do You Wear a Mask

Depends,  if I go into a store I do, I put one on when I pump gas, I wear one when I go into people's homes.

If a lot of people are on a job I won't work there.

I've been working Saturdays and Sundays to avoid people.

If I'm on the job by myself or it's just my crew I don't wear a mask.  Just play it by ear,  if others are on the job and working outside and we're inside we don't wear them, but we have them handy  in case people want to talk.

Right now it's hot, and a mask just makes that worse.  We've been running fans,  opening doors and windows,  really moving the air through the job.

Social Butterfly

I live alone in a "senior" community.

Before I open the door (for grocery delivery or to go to the dumpster) I don a mask.

I also have a "wipe" (Lysol) in hand due to having to touch surfaces (stair rails, etc.).

I try to protect others and myself with mask and sanitizing wipe (and have gloves should I need to go beyond the property).

I am particularly alarmed because the nearest neighbor takes his coffee every morning hanging over the rail in front of multiple apartments; he "holds court" with anyone using the staircase without considering they want to move on and away from possible infection.

He has NEVER worn a mask (but he does "sanitize"  (wipe down) his own groceries before taking them into his unit). I'm pretty sure he doesn't "get it".

I so wish our governor would mandate masks at all times outside of private residences and in public. We've seen an uptick that is alarming to me and scares me for my grandchildren. I want this to end but think it won't...

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Honored Social Butterfly

Whenever I am going to be within 6 feet of other people. I went to a BLM support caravan the other day and we met in a parking lot.  Everyone wore masks even though we tried to maintain distance as well.  Certainly if I have to go into a building. 

Why? Because it protects me but mainly because I try to be  a responsible citizen. 

Honored Social Butterfly

YES!    In TX, where the governor is waffling and cases are on the rise,  San Antonio government has taken a stand and they want everyone to wear masks and stores, esp. grocery stores are making them mandatory for customers.

I am currently blockwalking to GOTV, and when I encounter a home with a "ring' device,  I push the button, move back and pull my mask down so they can see my face and leave a message.    Then  I reposition my mask and leave information or have a conversation with the homeowner. 

When doing my AM outdoor exercise,  I do not wear a mask, but I carry one in case I encounter someone along the route.  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

when outside in the public and at stores, heck yes!
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Only when others are in close contact indoors. It's useless and not needed outside unless you absolutely cannot distance (or are in the act of protesting or looting I guess). I laugh when I see someone walking down a sidewalk with no one else in sight wearing a mask. And instead of a mask I wear a bandana, more comfortable and I've worn one for years to keep from choking in the dust and dirt kicked up from working.     

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

YES I'm a believer of science I wear it wherever there are other people around. 

However,  most of the time instead of the usual "mask" I wear a head scarf already in my possession containing  some waterproofing, doubling over in material  where it counts  which I find more comfortable.to wear, economical   and I wash after every use as it dries quickly.   .It has velcrow ties.   

Honored Social Butterfly

I hike a lot.   When I first started back a month ago or so, everyone on the trail was wearing a mask.  Two weeks in, and about half were.   This past Saturday, almost nobody was, and two men told me to NOT wear my mask.  I told them it protects them, not me.   They seemed confused. 

Anyway, yes, I always wear one in stores.   I wore an n95 mask today to get my blood drawn.   I don't wear one when out walking or biking because I'm not near anyone else, really.  It's easy to stay at least six feet away, if not more.   But on this particular trail, which can be as narrow as 2 feet with thick brush on either side, yes, I wear a mask.   

Honored Social Butterfly

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I hike a lot.   When I first started back a month ago or so, everyone on the trail was wearing a mask.  Two weeks in, and about half were.   This past Saturday, almost nobody was, and two men told me to NOT wear my mask.  I told them it protects them, not me.   They seemed confused. 

Anyway, yes, I always wear one in stores.   I wore an n95 mask today to get my blood drawn.   I don't wear one when out walking or biking because I'm not near anyone else, really.  It's easy to stay at least six feet away, if not more.   But on this particular trail, which can be as narrow as 2 feet with thick brush on either side, yes, I wear a mask.   

Better to be safe than sorry.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

I do try to whenever there is contact with other people. My mask protects you, your mask protects me. But many here do not pay attention to that...so I do try to avoid them.

Honored Social Butterfly

At home? No, no reason to except scare the dog and cat.

When I go shopping, yes, because I definitely don't want to catch it, or to pass it along (if I were infected).

This is a very small effort on my part and while I hate wearing it, there's no good reason not to do it.

Honored Social Butterfly

Living in the redneck city of  the Panhandle you have the problem that people here do not wear masks outside   practically     nowhere. So, now we have  1024  cases     and climbing in this dinky    little town.
The   people here are either ignorant of  stupid.  and continue to live in the era of Gone with the Wind.
Hoping that I can survive  this.                                                                 

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

NO, because scientific studies have shown that almost all transmissions of Covid-19 occur INDOORS. With the exception of being in a large crowd, outdoor transmissions are very rare during normal outside activities.

Therefore, the only time I wear a mask is when I go to the supermarket, Costco, BJs, or Walmart.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png