Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Do You Know Your Name ?

Message 1 of 8

There are so many ways this could get messed up.

A Latino voter may go by Gonzales Marambio. But it’s only listed as Gonzales. Or Gonzales-Marambio and the hyphen gets it put on the pending list.  

Someone may be in the process of changing to their married name. The Social Security card got changed, but they haven’t had a chance to do the voter registration yet.

My kids all have two middle names.  It’s on their passports and their drivers licenses. But the voter registration form doesn’t have enough room for two middle names, and one child had hers listed as a suffix by mistake, which I don’t understand at all. And I’ve always told them to just use their first middle name if space is a problem. So in some places they have one middle name and in others they have two.

These types of mistakes will disproportionately impact lower income and lower educated individuals who don’t always have the knowledge or means to check and remedy the error.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 8

@GailL1 wrote:

I am sure you have probably heard about the controversy involving Georgia's (and some other states) "exact match" voter verification procedure,

For the like of me, I don't understand how people allow this to happen to themselves especially in this day and age.  The "exact match" verification runs a match of the registered voter against the states drivers license list and the Social Security number rolls - something does not match.

Everybody has a legal name - everybody has a Social Security number - if you have a drivers license it is suppose to be your legal name; same with your Social Security number.  If your name changes, you are suppose to get these files changed ASAP.   

Verification of this is not just something that is applicable to a voter registration.  Exact match verification is used in many things - your credit file with the major credit bureaus, to name one.  Any property or other assets should also be assigned to your legal name.  The identification of parents and newborns on birth certificates is their legal name.  Sometimes shortened to First name and middle initial and last name. 

I believe the IRS is now also running an exact match verification between name and SS# to keep down identity theft & fraud -   If you sign up for an ACA exchange insurance plan, you are even required to go thru ID proofing.

https://marketplace.cms.gov/outreach-and-education/your-marketplace-application.pdf

I have no idea why this problem is stated by the MSM to adversely affect minority populations more than the majority - shouldn't everybody know their legal name, regardless of minority/majority status.  It sure helps out with other things in life - making things easier.  It doesn't matter who is affected as much as that it gets corrected and perhaps the people involved will learn something from it.  Make sure important registrations are legible and have the correct (proper/ legal) name and your numbers from Drivers License or Social Security match your name or get it corrected.

As I understand - these 53,000 people will be allowed to vote if they can produce a valid photo id showing who they are as any other voter in Georgia has to do - then their registration can be corrected as to what the problem might be - matching their name to their drivers license and/or social security number.

It could be a problem with just a spelling - Many times these voter registrations submitted by various GOTV groups are poor on legibility making it hard to input the data. 

Anyway - just wanted to make sure everybody here knows their name.

How about when he sent his armed agents into a GA town and arrested people who did nothing more than help people fill out the forms. He even arrested those who put the forms into the mail. All charges were thrown out. How about when he said there would not be nor was there anyone hacking the election system in GA after he was warned by the Feds there was. The fact is there was (Russians) and he kept up his lie for a few years. How about the fact he has used the voting system to keep blacks from registering to vote. Did you see the clip on TV of what he said. He has been sued for keeping blacks from voting and lost. Why is he still overseeing this election when he is a candidate. If he has his way the 53,000 will not vote just as he kept people in previous elections from voting. How can any thinking person vote for someone like him. He should have been charged years ago. I would hope all thinking people in the state are up in arms over him, and doing everything they can to stop him. He does not deserve one vote. All should go watch the stories that ran on TV the last few days, some of the stories use his own words to prove their point.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8

@GailL1 wrote:

I am sure you have probably heard about the controversy involving Georgia's (and some other states) "exact match" voter verification procedure,

For the like of me, I don't understand how people allow this to happen to themselves especially in this day and age.  The "exact match" verification runs a match of the registered voter against the states drivers license list and the Social Security number rolls - something does not match.

Everybody has a legal name - everybody has a Social Security number - if you have a drivers license it is suppose to be your legal name; same with your Social Security number.  If your name changes, you are suppose to get these files changed ASAP.   

Verification of this is not just something that is applicable to a voter registration.  Exact match verification is used in many things - your credit file with the major credit bureaus, to name one.  Any property or other assets should also be assigned to your legal name.  The identification of parents and newborns on birth certificates is their legal name.  Sometimes shortened to First name and middle initial and last name. 

I believe the IRS is now also running an exact match verification between name and SS# to keep down identity theft & fraud -   If you sign up for an ACA exchange insurance plan, you are even required to go thru ID proofing.

https://marketplace.cms.gov/outreach-and-education/your-marketplace-application.pdf

I have no idea why this problem is stated by the MSM to adversely affect minority populations more than the majority - shouldn't everybody know their legal name, regardless of minority/majority status.  It sure helps out with other things in life - making things easier.  It doesn't matter who is affected as much as that it gets corrected and perhaps the people involved will learn something from it.  Make sure important registrations are legible and have the correct (proper/ legal) name and your numbers from Drivers License or Social Security match your name or get it corrected.

As I understand - these 53,000 people will be allowed to vote if they can produce a valid photo id showing who they are as any other voter in Georgia has to do - then their registration can be corrected as to what the problem might be - matching their name to their drivers license and/or social security number.

It could be a problem with just a spelling - Many times these voter registrations submitted by various GOTV groups are poor on legibility making it hard to input the data. 

You're Oversimplifying Again

The Problem is not Knowing your name - it's proving it's your name

I Have 27 Year Old Triplets - Their SS#'s - Drivers License #'s - in fact almost all their Alpha-numeric identifiers are only 1 character different

Plus their First Names all start with A and Last Names Start with S

I cannot tell you how many times - The Government - has mixed up their records

My Father & I have the same name except that I'm a Jr - same thing with he & I

We go to the same Medical Practice - always mix ups - we were both born in the same month as well

All of us in my family have the means to keep track of our information and to correct issues when they arise - if and it's a big if - if we know about it in advance - before we find ourselves in a critical situation

It can take hours and hours of internet research - phone calls and in-person visits to identify and then correct misidentification and because we are all anticipating it could happen - we are alwasy vigilant - but it happens anyway

People in Rural Areas who are underserved by Internet - Phone - and even unkowing about who what and where the Local Information is stored & what the requirements are - are the ones in jeopardy

We don't all live in the Cities & Suberbs - we don't all have equal access to even our own information

We don't do this everyday - There are years in between voting cycles and the requirements are constantly changing - voting - how to vote - where to vote - when to vote - is not something most people worry about until the days before it's time to vote -

As far as this issue - there is nothing in the US Constitution that requires a person to read write and communicate like a Savant in order to exercise the right to vote.......................

Government regardless of the level should design Citizen information collection - storage - management and retrival so it's not a impediment to it's citizens - especially when it comes to exercising your Constitutionally Guaranteed - Right to Vote

Instead in many areas Government is using their Power to disenfranchise Citizens - to make it so complicated and difficult - it's impossible for many

We are the only Country in the World that makes the Voting process so difficult as to discourage their Citizens from Voting

It's Ridiculous - It's Unfair - It's Unconscionable

AND

Those who try to minimize the difficulty are not helpful

Those of us who depend on Social Security to Live - a payment we receive monthly - should know what the COLA is going to be and yet you found it might be helpful to let people know - 4 months in advance

But on Voting you think everyone should already be informed and if they aren't it's their fault!

That's Not Helpful

I'm sitting here this afternoon watching a College Football Game - one of the Players on one of the teams spells his name on the back of his Jersey as...................... FFRENCH

How many times do you think some Government Clerk messed up the recording of his name?

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

I just checked three IDs.

Social Security card and Driver's Licence my name does match.  Both contain middle name.

Voter ID card only has middle initial.

MyVote.wa.gov - shows my registration without a middle name or initial at all.

Gail - The "exact match" verification runs a match of the registered voter against the states drivers license list and the Social Security number rolls"

So I feel (kind of) safe with that and the fact we have mail in ballots.  I don't know yet if the state having my Voter ID name 2 different ways and neither being the same as Social Sec Card and D. License has ever caused my vote to be tossed.

The deadline has passed for me to make changes but I will be contacting MyVote as my name should match on all three.

Thanks for your post Gail.  Someone besides me has made a mistake and I'm glad you brought this issue to our attention.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

Don’t forget to make sure the person keying the information in all three (or more) times doesn’t make a mistake. It can sometimes take years to get something as simple as an input typo corrected and then ensure that the correction gets out to all the different entities using that information.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

@n566192l

Yes, that is a problem - I can only speak to Georgia - those areas in Florida could be more difficult.

Depending upon how the physical aspects of the affected areas come together in the next few weeks - the options might be to delay the official election day awhile, extending early voting days up to another set date or we do have mobile units (trailors) that could be equipt but then you have all those poor folks who might have lost their ID all together and will need time to get this back.  Who knows at this point because right now other things are more important to get online - power, water, communications. 

SOS, Brian Kemp, said this a day or so ago according to local news -

"In the aftermath of Hurricane Michael, it is critical to assess the storm’s impact on Georgia’s election infrastructure and plan for the start of early in-person voting next week," Kemp said. "My office remains in ongoing communications with Governor Nathan Deal’s office and first responders to grasp the full extent of the damage, but I want to see firsthand what we can do to lend assistance to the election workforce. Once I meet with local leaders, I will have a better understanding of their needs and work with federal, state, and regional partners to deploy the necessary resources to those areas."

Absentee by mail voting is already underway for the November election. Early in-person voting is set to run October 15 through November 2.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8

Gail1

I hope the people affected by the recent hurricanes find out where their new voting stations will be. 

I remember when Sandy hit New Jersey, we had people from different counties trying to vote at our local voting station. These recent storms may have people trying to vote different counties as well. I just hope that everyone is able to do their civic duty and vote

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Do You Know Your Name ?

Message 8 of 8

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Replies