Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Did Trump reiterate his promise to not cut Social Security or Medicare during his speech?

Message 11 of 18

In the thread dealing with the fiction that three high ranking dems didn't stand up to honor the wife of Ryan Lewis, a video if tge whole speech apoears.  Look there-as i said earlier, i didnt hear him mention it, but you may hear simething I didn't. As others have said, Trump manipulates his language so one may think he said one thing, but actually mens something wlse.  Temember he is a con man who settled racketeering charges for millions if $ just before taking office.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Did Trump reiterate his promise to not cut Social Security or Medicare during his speech?

Message 12 of 18

I did hear the whole speech, and I have to say, that my ears would have perked up if the word Social Security would have been uttered.

So no. Social Security or Medicare was mentioned, I believe that Medicaid because of the spansion was mentiones when he was describing what the new "obamacare" would look like.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 18
I didn't watch his speech. I don't like listening to Dictators who have truth issues. I can tell you he has said in the past no cuts, BUT, his Wall Street buddy, Mnuchin, said the other day that potential cuts are "not on the table, for now." That should tell you a lot! Meanwhile Ryan desperately wants to change Medicare to Medi-voucher, and I am sure like my Cathy McMorris Rogers wants to do, wants to "reform" Social Security. I think most of us know what "reform" means when a Republican utters that word, right? Bottom line with me is, I trust NO ONE who says they won't touch Medicare, Social Security or Obamacare. As long as Republicans control Congress they are NOT safe!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 18

So far, he's been occupied with the ACA and hasn't really mentioned SS and Medicare. However, when he says he's going to "preserve" them, what does that mean? Perhaps privatization of SS and a voucher plan for Medicare? With his plans for massive tax cuts and increased military spending, where will the money come from? I think the problem are those surrounding him who will convince him to change Medicare to a voucher system. Trump is a businessman who will do everything to make a profit for Wall Street.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 18

RE: CUTTING MEDICARE AND SOCIAL SECURITY --not sure he did during the speech, but I have heard him say in one of the multitude of interviews he gives that he doesn't plan to touch either. However, when he's not speaking out of both sides of his mouth, he's lying. Sooo.....

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 18

RE: CUTTING MEDICARE AND SOCIAL SECURITY sure he did during the speech, but I have heard him say that in one of the multitude of interviews he gives that he doesn't plan to touch either. However, when he's not speaking out of both sides of his mouth, he's lying. Sooo.....

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 18

Hello,

I did not hear even one sentence regarding social security.  Personally I wish that there was something we could do to prevent cuts in our investment and also have control of what full retirement age would be such as 60 to 62. 

I have worked for over 40 years and working with a young work force can be exhausting.  Many of us such as myself are treated as if we are the little old ladies that can not do the job, in which we have the skills and experience to do.  Sometimes the younger generation can be patronizing, and insulting.  I have been a secretary for many years and I can use a computer, do reports and can effciently use excel and databases to produce reports, etc. 

I think many of you know where I am coming from.  I would like to get out of the workforce and maybe have an retirement job that I enjoy.  But we are discrimanted and defeated because of our age, regardless of our skills and the management will give most of the work that we can do to someone younger.

I wish my full retirement age could be 62 with full benefits, gosh I earned it and even served 4 years in the military. I would like to retire in September of this year, wouldn't that be exciting and be able to afford the basics in life, such as a roof over my head, along with paying for food and utilities. 

I would love to step aside and let the youth have their chance to excel and advance in their careers.  I just do not see asking us to retire at 70 is fair when we invested in our retirement and also counted on it.  

No I did not even hear one word about social security, or even protecting our retirement.  We are turning into the population that this country would like to just put us on an iceburg and wait for a polar bear to eat us.........

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Did Trump reiterate his promise to not cut Social Security or Medicare during his speech?

Message 18 of 18

I did not hear any mention of Social Security or Medicare.   Did I miss it?

Does this worry anyone else?

Kudos
Views
Replies