Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Deport those who are UN-assimilated

Message 1 of 13

@afisher wrote:

The alt-right have been screaming about people who they believe have not assimillated into the US, gee it was even included in Donald's suggested plan.   If one looks at the freedom of religion along with liberty and equal treatment for all, the target of that would not be the Muslims in this country

And then the PEW foundation did some research and found that the group that more often outside the normal range of views about people in the US were the Evangelicals.

also    Muslims are more accepting of members of the LGBTQ that were white evangelicals.

If people in the US were really smart, we would eject those Republican,  uneducated white evangelicals - and most of the racial hate and associated problems racial attacks in the US would be significantly decreased.  Real patriots and REAL American's do.  The other's are nothing but AIMO's....Americans in Name Only.

ICYMI, a Mosque was bombed in Minnesota.    Donald has made no statement of condolence or call for end of terrorism, instead, one of his spox, responded that he believed that the attack could be a liberal hoax and that was the excuse that Donald didn't comment.     sigh. Well, I for one would prefer to see some evidence that it isn't a hoax before I suggest it was a terrorist act.  I'm a little suspicious about this one. 

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 13

I continue to noticed the attitude of most posters in this issue. They simply want to point fingers at each other party without realizing that this is not a party issue but a Government issue. and its laws.

Many simply feel proud of saying that we are the "Melting Pot" of the word when in reality we haven't melt at all.
Yes, eventually second and third generation immigrants become Americans in culture and in language. but it happens after a long time.
Again, not wanting to recognize the flaws that have existed to date, regarding the obligation that Governments have towards helping new immigrants assimilate into this culture is amazing to me.
Please start realizing that there are many things that we have done incorrectly and they need to be fixed.
But again i do believe that the ethocentricims that have always been present alwasy rises its ugly head.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 13

@Olderscout66 wrote:

I'd suggest these are the offspring of the folks who, during Vietnam when the difficulty of distinguishing friend from foe in somebody else's Civil War became apparent, "solved" the problem with the solgan "Kill 'em all - God will sort them out."

What does the children from Vietnam have to do with this or any topic?  Are you saying that my children are not welcomed here?  And what does inserting Vietnam have to do with the topic?  And in a prejudicial biased way.

We have many friends here who came over when Vietnam fell.  They are middle to upper class individuals who have taken advantage of opportunities and made something of themselves.  Our daughter-in-law, a professor at Bayor, is one of them. 

I had not problem sorting out who was friend or foe....if they were shooting at me, they were 'foe'...if not they were friendly.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 13

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@afisher wrote:

So the argument is that Republicans never assimilated into the US and for that we should  "blame" someone and make those Evangelicals victims.  ?????????????????

I'd say it goes further - the Republican decendants of immigrants have somehow UNassimilated by not only rejecting core values of America concerning inclusiveness and mercy, but now demand the rest of the country become just as mean spirited and bigoted as they are and want laws to enforce the conversion.

"Legally" arrived here immigrants - key point.

Assimilated to the point of understanding that we are a nation of law - not how scouts feels.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 13

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Repubicans are obsessed with the notion that since 10 million people broke the law to come to America for a better life, all of them, including children who were dragged and infants who were carried, are CRIMINALS and must be treated as such.

You left out a key word "illegal". Treated as "criminals"??? How about "here illegally".

I'd suggest these are the offspring of the folks who, during Vietnam when the difficulty of distinguishing friend from foe in somebody else's Civil War became apparent, "solved" the problem with the solgan "Kill 'em all - God will sort them out."

Confusing as always - those here illegally are the children of Nam vets????

We need to fix the problem, and Reagan had a good idea: In 1986, Ronald Reagan signed a sweeping immigration reform bill into law. It was sold as a crackdown: There would be tighter security at the Mexican border, and employers would face strict penalties for hiring undocumented workers.

But the bill also made any immigrant who'd entered the country before 1982 eligible for amnesty — a word not usually associated with the father of modern conservatism.

Yes, Reagan struck a compromise with the Dems. Normalize the situation for those already here and change circumstances to stop new illegals. He did his part and they......???

I say we give everyone here now who has not committed a felony since they arrived a green card. POOF! No more Criminals for GOPers to howl about. Then we go after the felons and anyone who hires the felons. The Dreamers who were brought here get to apply for citizenship when they turn 18 if they have no criminal record, or when they're 20 if they put in 2 "trouble free" years in the Guard or Reserve.

"Poof" ignores the circumstances of their arrivals.

How can that be a problem for anyone who claims to be Christian?

It is not a religious issue, it is a legal issue.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 13

@afisher wrote:

So the argument is that Republicans never assimilated into the US and for that we should  "blame" someone and make those Evangelicals victims.  ?????????????????

True - your post elicits ??????????

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 13

@rker321 wrote:

Immigrants of all races, nationalities, languages  etc  have been in many ways neglected when they enter the country.

The goverment have never done one thing to make those immigrants easier to assimiliate, learn our language and our culture. and then when they haven't we complain and start blaming the Republicans the Democrats ,

The government itself is as much responsible for not enabling dissemination by making publications, forms, ballots, etc available in multiple languages.  My wife was a little insulted the first time she voted...they noted her name and asked if she wanted a ballot in her native language.  She let them know that she was fluent in five langages, so English was no problem.

Immigrants are not encouraged to improve their English by using their native language.  We are on our way to becoming a nation of Babel.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 13

Immigrants of all races, nationalities, languages  etc  have been in many ways neglected when they enter the country.

The goverment have never done one thing to make those immigrants easier to assimiliate, learn our language and our culture. and then when they haven't we complain and start blaming the Republicans the Democrats , The Evangelicals etc. 
Instead of recognizing that the assimilation of an immigrant is a function of goverment. 
If the goverment of the US had ever done anything about this issue. we wouldn't have immigrants that don't speak English, even if they have been here 20 years, they have formed gettos because they have not assimilated into this coulture and look for the group that  is  simllar to them.

So, stop here and try to understand that the lack of assimilation of any immigrant in this country, the Government has a lot do with that.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 13

@afisher wrote:

I'd say it goes further - the Republican decendants of immigrants have somehow UNassimilated by not only rejecting core values of America concerning inclusiveness and mercy, but now demand the rest of the country become just as mean spirited and bigoted as they are and want laws to enforce the conversion.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 13

Repubicans are obsessed with the notion that since 10 million people broke the law to come to America for a better life, all of them, including children who were dragged and infants who were carried, are CRIMINALS and must be treated as such.

We need to fix the problem, and Reagan had a good idea: In 1986, Ronald Reagan signed a sweeping immigration reform bill into law. It was sold as a crackdown: There would be tighter security at the Mexican border, and employers would face strict penalties for hiring undocumented workers.

But the bill also made any immigrant who'd entered the country before 1982 eligible for amnesty — a word not usually associated with the father of modern conservatism.

I say we give everyone here now who has not committed a felony since they arrived a green card. POOF! No more Criminals for GOPers to howl about. Then we go after the felons and anyone who hires the felons. The Dreamers who were brought here get to apply for citizenship when they turn 18 if they have no criminal record, or when they're 20 if they put in 2 "trouble free" years in the Guard or Reserve.

How can that be a problem for anyone who claims to be Christian?

Kudos
Views