Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

Dems Demand Barr's Resignation, Call For Investigation, Hearings

Roger Stone backlash: Democrats demand Barr's resignation, call for investigation, hearings
The fallout comes after the Justice Department suddenly reversed its recommendation for a 7-9 year sentence for the Trump confidant.
Image: Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer speaks at a press conference at the Capitol on Feb. 11, 2020.
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer speaks at a press conference at the Capitol on Feb. 11, 2020.Mandel Ngan / AFP - Getty Images
 
 
Feb. 12, 2020, 10:25 AM CST / Updated Feb. 12, 2020, 12:52 PM CST
By Rebecca Shabad

 

WASHINGTON — Congressional Democrats on Wednesday called for an emergency hearing and investigation into the Department of Justice's decision to reduce the recommended sentence for longtime Donald Trump confidant Roger Stone.

Top Democrats are pushing for the GOP-led Senate Judiciary Committee to hold a hearing to review the decision that led to the sudden resignation of all of the four prosecutors Tuesday from the Ston.... Stone was found guilty in November of all seven counts against him including making false statements, witness tampering and obstructing a congressional probe.

 
 
Roger Stone prosecutors resign in DOJ fight over prison sentenceFEB. 12, 202003:16
 

"Something egregious like this demands that the inspector general investigate and demands that the chairman of the Judiciary Committee hold a hearing now," Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said in the Senate.

Schumer sent a letter to the Justice Department's Inspector General Michael Horowitz on Tuesday, writing that the development amounts to "improper political interference in a criminal prosecution."

"I therefore request that you immediately investigate this matter to determine how and why the Stone sentencing recommendations were countermanded, which Justice Department officials made this decision, and which White House officials were involved," Schumer said.

 

Late Tuesday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., reacted to the news, tweeting, "By tweet @realDonaldTrump engaged in political interference in the sentencing of Roger Stone. It is outrageous that DOJ has deeply damaged the rule of law by withdrawing its recommendation."

Nancy Pelosi
 
@SpeakerPelosi
 

By tweet @realDonaldTrump engaged in political interference in the sentencing of Roger Stone. It is outrageous that DOJ has deeply damaged the rule of law by withdrawing its recommendation. Stepping down of prosecutors should be commended & actions of DOJ should be investigated.

 
47K people are talking about this
 
Earlier in the day, Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., former attorney general of the state and a former federal prosecutor, sent a letter to Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., asking that he immediately schedule a hearing for Barr to testify "so that the committee and the American people can understand the Justice Department’s decision to overrule its career prosecutors in this case."

Graham, however, gave no indications on Wednesday that he planned to hold a hearing on the issue. He told reporters that he was briefed on the sentencing guidelines and that they are three and a half to four and a half years, unless there's "a threat against a witness."

The Justice Department had announced Tuesday that it was revising the original sentence of seven to nine years in prison, and is asking U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson for the District of Columbia to reduce the sentence, after Trump himself called the sentencing proposal "a miscarriage of justice." In response, all four federal prosecutors who made the original sentencing recommendation withdrew from the case Tuesday.

 

Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., another former federal prosecutor, said Wednesday that "Attorney General William Barr should be ashamed and embarrassed and resign as a result of this action directly interfering in the independent prosecution of Roger Stone, simply the latest examples of political interference by the president to alter the independent decisions of the Department of Justice."

In the House, Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, D-Calif., told reporters Wednesday that this is "an egregious violation of the rule of law." Rep. Jamie Raskin, D-Md., a constitutional law expert, said that the four prosecutors are "sending a message to America that the rule of law is under attack."

As for Republican reaction, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said Tuesday that he had nothing to say on the matter when pressed by reporters at a weekly news conference.

 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/roger-stone-backlash-democrats-demand-barr-resign-call-inv...


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Regular Social Butterfly

Unfortunately, it probably will never happen just like anything else The Donald puts his 2 cents into. The only way to stop all the crap is to vote him OUT.
Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
0 Kudos
333 Views
22
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Dems demand.... lol

The guy's a jerk for sure, but nothing he did rises to the level of what the prosecution recommended.

Pseudo outrage again

4 more years

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
331 Views
21
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Fishslayer777 wrote:
Dems demand.... lol

The guy's a jerk for sure, but nothing he did rises to the level of what the prosecution recommended.

Pseudo outrage again

4 more years

How many years should he get for what he was convicted of? Lying to Congress? lying under oath?  Witness tampering?  Federal prosecutors are supposed to be tough, it's a deterrent....the judge determines what the criminal receives as a punishment.  Bar is the jerk and should be impeached as well....


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

The same as Comey.


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
Dems demand.... lol

The guy's a jerk for sure, but nothing he did rises to the level of what the prosecution recommended.

Pseudo outrage again

4 more years

How many years should he get for what he was convicted of? Lying to Congress? lying under oath?  Witness tampering?  Federal prosecutors are supposed to be tough, it's a deterrent....the judge determines what the criminal receives as a punishment.  Bar is the jerk and should be impeached as well....


The judge determines the sentence and uses guidelines. Bench marks are always used and if the judge feels outraged, he'll adjust the sentence accordingly. 


Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
266 Views
16
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Fishslayer777 wrote:

The same as Comey.


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
Dems demand.... lol

The guy's a jerk for sure, but nothing he did rises to the level of what the prosecution recommended.

Pseudo outrage again

4 more years

How many years should he get for what he was convicted of? Lying to Congress? lying under oath?  Witness tampering?  Federal prosecutors are supposed to be tough, it's a deterrent....the judge determines what the criminal receives as a punishment.  Bar is the jerk and should be impeached as well....


The judge determines the sentence and uses guidelines. Bench marks are always used and if the judge feels outraged, he'll adjust the sentence accordingly. 


The point is not what you posted as that has always been true, and what also has been true the JD always gives the  judge what they think the sentence should be. The defence does the same thing. This happens after a jury finds a person guilty of a crime. What does not happen is the President telling the JD to change what they told the judge because it is one of the Presidents close friends and adviser. Only Dictators do what Trump did. Yes the judge will give the sentence she thinks is fair based on all facts she knows this time. That will not happen in the future as Dictator Trump takes more control on the courts. Dictator Trump will tell the judge (who will be his lackey) what the sentence will be. Go read up on Hitler and see how he did it as Trump will do it the same way. That is what every lover of democracy should be terrified about loosing and party should mean nothing.

Honored Social Butterfly


@john258 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

The same as Comey.


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
Dems demand.... lol

The guy's a jerk for sure, but nothing he did rises to the level of what the prosecution recommended.

Pseudo outrage again

4 more years

How many years should he get for what he was convicted of? Lying to Congress? lying under oath?  Witness tampering?  Federal prosecutors are supposed to be tough, it's a deterrent....the judge determines what the criminal receives as a punishment.  Bar is the jerk and should be impeached as well....


The judge determines the sentence and uses guidelines. Bench marks are always used and if the judge feels outraged, he'll adjust the sentence accordingly. 


The point is not what you posted as that has always been true, and what also has been true the JD always gives the  judge what they think the sentence should be. The defence does the same thing. This happens after a jury finds a person guilty of a crime. What does not happen is the President telling the JD to change what they told the judge because it is one of the Presidents close friends and adviser. Only Dictators do what Trump did. Yes the judge will give the sentence she thinks is fair based on all facts she knows this time. That will not happen in the future as Dictator Trump takes more control on the courts. Dictator Trump will tell the judge (who will be his lackey) what the sentence will be. Go read up on Hitler and see how he did it as Trump will do it the same way. That is what every lover of democracy should be terrified about loosing and party should mean nothing.

 

You are 100% correct, John!  Once again, trump interfers where he doesn't belong and demonstrates ANOTHER abuse of power!


 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
231 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly




@Fishslayer777 wrote:

The same as Comey.


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
Dems demand.... lol

The guy's a jerk for sure, but nothing he did rises to the level of what the prosecution recommended.

Pseudo outrage again

4 more years

How many years should he get for what he was convicted of? Lying to Congress? lying under oath?  Witness tampering?  Federal prosecutors are supposed to be tough, it's a deterrent....the judge determines what the criminal receives as a punishment.  Barr is the jerk and should be impeached as well....


The judge determines the sentence and uses guidelines. Bench marks are always used and if the judge feels outraged, he'll adjust the sentence accordingly. 

 

Yep, no kidding.  So you preferred to dodge the question.



"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
269 Views
12
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Say's the master dodger.

How would I know what he "supposed" to get? that's a feeling.... you tell me your estimation. From my basic understanding of the law 18 months to 2 years. However the judge having heard all the evidence, heard from witnesses and understands the law will be the final say.

However... I will bet Stone gets pardoned.

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
238 Views
11
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Fishslayer777 wrote:

How would I know what he "supposed" to get?   That's quite revealing when one makes the following comment, "but nothing he did rises to the level of what the prosecution recommended."  How would you know, indeed?!

 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
267 Views
10
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

How would I know what he "supposed" to get?   That's quite revealing when one makes the following comment, "but nothing he did rises to the level of what the prosecution recommended."  How would you know, indeed?!

 


Because I do not have the transcript from the trial... I trust the AG and I'll trust the judge to make the right decision and not feelings from the bias left who have open contempt for the judicial process. No matter... Stone gets pardoned. Wanna bet?

 

191 judges appointed so far ... all constitutionalists. more to follow Thank you Obama.

 

4 more years


Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
275 Views
9
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

How would I know what he "supposed" to get?   That's quite revealing when one makes the following comment, "but nothing he did rises to the level of what the prosecution recommended."  How would you know, indeed?!

Because I do not have the transcript from the trial... Yet you claim "nothing he did rises to the level of what the prosecution recommended"  How would you know if you didn't have the transcript.  This is another example of a Conservative talking out of their backside when they have no clue what the transcript say's, they rely on trump's or Fox's false distorted views and post them for all to see and spread their lack of information/disinformation.  Quite revealing for ALL to witness....

 

Of course it is and was for the judge to decide, just as it was before trump and his fraudulent crony AG step in and interfered with the justice process.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
269 Views
8
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

How would I know what he "supposed" to get?   That's quite revealing when one makes the following comment, "but nothing he did rises to the level of what the prosecution recommended."  How would you know, indeed?!

Because I do not have the transcript from the trial... Yet you claim "nothing he did rises to the level of what the prosecution recommended"  How would you know if you didn't have the transcript.  This is another example of a Conservative talking out of their backside when they have no clue what the transcript say's, they rely on trump's or Fox's false distorted views and post them for all to see and spread their lack of information/disinformation.  Quite revealing for ALL to witness....

 

Of course it is and was for the judge to decide, just as it was before trump and his fraudulent crony AG step in and interfered with the justice process.


OK... so you've read the transcript? and decided what's appropriate? come on.... who are you kidding. That a big pile...

 

I'm relying on the AG and the judge, Like the rest of the people do. Who made you judge and jury? The process is what it is... let the judge decide, but 7-9 years doesn't match the crime according to the AG. I'm going with that... who are you going with? counsellor

 

 


Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
263 Views
7
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

How would I know what he "supposed" to get?   That's quite revealing when one makes the following comment, "but nothing he did rises to the level of what the prosecution recommended."  How would you know, indeed?!

Because I do not have the transcript from the trial... Yet you claim "nothing he did rises to the level of what the prosecution recommended"  How would you know if you didn't have the transcript.  This is another example of a Conservative talking out of their backside when they have no clue what the transcript say's, they rely on trump's or Fox's false distorted views and post them for all to see and spread their lack of information/disinformation.  Quite revealing for ALL to witness....

 

Of course it is and was for the judge to decide, just as it was before trump and his fraudulent crony AG step in and interfered with the justice process.


OK... so you've read the transcript? and decided what's appropriate? come on.... who are you kidding. That a big pile...  More untruths from the Right when they can't get out of the hole they've dug themselves.  No one said they read the transcript?  So why make it up?  It's FAKE NEWS on your part.  Shame on you.....another FAKE Christian value.....

 

I'm relying on the AG and the judge, Like the rest of the people do. The AG is only involved because trump abused his power, AGAIN, and Cons are lapping it up.  It's what they do.  Everyone knows the prosecution and the judge determine the sentencing; not the POTUS and AG.  Why don't you?  Who made you judge and jury? Another fake suggestion....The process is what it is...Yes, it WAS...... let the judge decide, They always do, without interference from POTUS and the AG as directed by POTUS......but 7-9 years doesn't match the crime according to the AG. I'm going with that...of course you are....it's what Cons do....and show their lack of integrity.....who are you going with? counsellorThe judge, as always, after recomendations from the prosecution and defense.  The way the process is suppose to work.....impeach the bum AGAIN, and his little dog too....

 Image result for trump and his dog barr

 

 


 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

How would I know what he "supposed" to get?   That's quite revealing when one makes the following comment, "but nothing he did rises to the level of what the prosecution recommended."  How would you know, indeed?!

Because I do not have the transcript from the trial... Yet you claim "nothing he did rises to the level of what the prosecution recommended"  How would you know if you didn't have the transcript.  This is another example of a Conservative talking out of their backside when they have no clue what the transcript say's, they rely on trump's or Fox's false distorted views and post them for all to see and spread their lack of information/disinformation.  Quite revealing for ALL to witness....

 

Of course it is and was for the judge to decide, just as it was before trump and his fraudulent crony AG step in and interfered with the justice process.


OK... so you've read the transcript? and decided what's appropriate? come on.... who are you kidding. That a big pile...  More untruths from the Right when they can't get out of the hole they've dug themselves.  No one said they read the transcript?  So why make it up?  It's FAKE NEWS on your part.  Shame on you.....another FAKE Christian value.....

 

I'm relying on the AG and the judge, Like the rest of the people do. The AG is only involved because trump abused his power, AGAIN, and Cons are lapping it up.  It's what they do.  Everyone knows the prosecution and the judge determine the sentencing; not the POTUS and AG.  Why don't you?  Who made you judge and jury? Another fake suggestion....The process is what it is...Yes, it WAS...... let the judge decide, They always do, without interference from POTUS and the AG as directed by POTUS......but 7-9 years doesn't match the crime according to the AG. I'm going with that...of course you are....it's what Cons do....and show their lack of integrity.....who are you going with? counsellorThe judge, as always, after recomendations from the prosecution and defense.  The way the process is suppose to work.....impeach the bum AGAIN, and his little dog too....

 Image result for trump and his dog barr

 

 


 


Most descriptive cartoon, Centrist !!!!


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
0 Kudos
151 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Why do you talk in circles? and argue for the sake of arguing? The AG changed the recommendations and that's within his purview.

No one is reading the transcript, no one! and  the fact don't matter in a political trial ... so It's simple, wait for the trial to end, accept the outcome from the judge, or not. This pre outrage sounds like the Kavanaugh hearing.

Then prepare yourself for President Trump's pardon of Roger Stone.

4 more years


Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
252 Views
4
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Madame Speakers comments on Barr are just SPOT ON!!!!!!!

 

Pelosi on Barr: "He has deeply damaged the rule of law in this country." 

Couldn't agree more Madame Speaker!

Honored Social Butterfly


@Tom5678 wrote:

Madame Speakers comments on Barr are just SPOT ON!!!!!!!

 

Pelosi on Barr: "He has deeply damaged the rule of law in this country." 

Couldn't agree more Madame Speaker!


Indeed, Tom.  And the Conservatives don't seem to find supporting their Faux "Tough on Crime" POTUS.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
204 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Why do you talk in circles? I don't.  I asked you a question that you couldn;t answer, which was obvious from the beginning with your false claim.

 

and argue for the sake of arguing? It's easy to disagree with the false claims of some and easier to point them out.  They NEVER own their mistakes...just like trump.....The AG changed the recommendations after a whine fest from the President.....and that's within his purview.  Not POTUS?  Why do you distort the facts?

No one is reading the transcript, no one! So?  You commented that the sentence was too harsh, yet now admit you haven;t even read the transcripts..it's the prosecuters job to give sentencing recommendations, not the AG 's to step in.....and  the fact (sic) don't matter in a political trial ... it's a criminal trial and FACTS DO MATTER!!! so It's simple, wait for the trial to end, The trial has ended and he was found guilty, on all accounts. So his buddy steps in to effect the sentencing.....why are you arguing?  accept the outcome from the judge,or not. That should be your advice to POTUS and the AG, not encouraging more interferrence.....IMO.  This pre outrage sounds like the Kavanaugh hearing.  Yes it does, the outrage from trumps over-stepping his authority and setting the terms of the investigation; again, interferring with the justice system.  The patter is obvious!

Then prepare yourself for President Trump's pardon of Roger Stone.  Of course, just like he does with other criminals like the racist sheriff Arpario....."Tough on Crime"....another t-Rump Lie.

4 more years


 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

More circles, more fake outrage, more nothing. Good job

4 more years

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
207 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Fishslayer777 wrote:

The judge determines the sentence and uses guidelines. Bench marks are always used and if the judge feels outraged, he'll adjust the sentence accordingly. 


Today she denied Stone the new trial he had requested.  We'll see on the 20th the guidelines she uses to punish him for his crimes.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png