Regular Social Butterfly

Democrats are Twice as Worried as Republicans about Coronavirus

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/us/politics/coronavirus-trump-polling.html

Afraid of Coronavirus? That Might Say Something About Your Politics

Polls show that how much voters worry about the outbreak depends on their political views, to a degree that’s unusual for a national crisis.  Welcome to Poll Watch, our weekly look at polling data and survey research on the candidates, voters and issues that will shape the 2020 election.

The coronavirus has been detected in more than 1,500 people across the United States. Public schools are closing and mass gatherings are being canceled. The National Collegiate Athletic Association called off its March Madness tournaments. The stock market took a historic plunge on Thursday.  And yet polls show that many voters still don’t see the virus as a serious threat. How much it worries you depends heavily on your personal politics — to a degree that’s not typical for a national crisis.  In a Quinnipiac University poll released this week, roughly six in 10 Republican voters nationwide said they were not especially concerned that the coronavirus would disrupt their lives. Two-thirds of Democratic voters said the opposite. All together, a slight majority of Americans expressed serious concern.

And Democratic voters were about twice as likely as Republicans to worry that they or someone they knew could catch the virus, the poll found. Sixty-three percent of Republican voters said they were relatively unconcerned.

Geography could play a role, as Democrats are more likely to live in cities, which are the sites of the worst outbreaks. But this partisan divide may well be linked to the kind of media people consume: While most newspapers and TV networks are treating the crisis as a dire threat and covering local governments’ efforts to contain it, many right-wing pundits are casting doubt on the virus’s risks and even its very existence — following a precedent set by President Trump, who has played down the danger of the virus.  On his nationally syndicated radio show, Sean Hannity wondered aloud on Wednesday if the coronavirus might be a “fraud” — just hours before Mr. Trump delivered a televised address about the virus.  During that speech, Mr. Trump announced a temporary partial ban on travel to the United States from Europe, but he stopped short of instituting nationwide limits on public gatherings or the kind of other federal guidance that some world leaders have given to their countries.

Over all, Americans are skeptical of Mr. Trump’s ability to confront the crisis. Last month, before the virus had spread throughout the United States, 62 percent of voters nationwide said they were not very confident in the federal government’s ability to deal with it effectively, according to a Fox News poll. Democratic voters were more than twice as likely as Republicans to say that they had no confidence at all.  For weeks, Mr. Trump oscillated between reassurances that he had the situation under control and suggestions that the whole issue was vastly overblown. Democrats, including Speaker Nancy Pelosi and the party’s leading presidential candidate, former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr., have called the situation grave and pushed for an aggressive response.  Mr. Biden and his leading rival, Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, canceled in-person rallies this week and announced online campaign events in their stead. On Thursday, both candidates strongly criticized Mr. Trump’s address to the nation.  “Public fears are being compounded by pervasive lack of trust in this president,” Mr. Biden said. He offered his own plan to combat the crisis while condemning what he called Mr. Trump’s “colossal” failure to guarantee citizens access to coronavirus testing.

For Mr. Trump, the perception that he is a strong leader has been central to his appeal since the beginning of the 2016 presidential campaign. Gallup regularly asks Americans about their feelings about the president on a range of personal qualities. Out of the seven qualities Gallup tests, only one applies to Mr. Trump in the eyes of a majority of Americans: being a strong and decisive leader. When Mr. Biden attacks him over the coronavirus, he is taking a cut at Americans’ view of Mr. Trump as a forceful leader.  But the virus may have an effect on Mr. Trump’s public approval in ways that ripple far beyond his direct response to the crisis — particularly as the economy absorbs the severe impact of the virus.

Before the outbreak, Americans were more likely to describe themselves as satisfied with the way things were going in the country than at any point in the past 15 years, according to Gallup polling. Mr. Trump’s approval ratings have been in the mid- to high 40s in recent months — among the highest numbers of his presidency — lifted by the thriving economy. Americans generally tend to approve of his handling of the economy more than of his overall performance.  But as businesses close and the stock market craters, some persuadable voters may lose their main rationale for backing the president, even if they do not directly blame him for the virus’s spread.

My Comment:

Well, that explains this:

toiletrolls800.jpg

The Democrats are full of poo.

You are getting sleepy.
Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:

So many words ...most showing that whatever our President does you and your fellow left wing posters will try to twist what he has done and is doing.  What EXACTLY has "he done"?  Dropped the ball?

I am a conservative and over 80. I wish you well....good luck!  I'm not sure it's too difficult to "socially distance" oneself in Montana.  Am I mistaken?  Those Conservatives living in NY and Ohio may have another take.....
I'm worried that you do not see what our President is doing to protect us.  Maybe you can tell us EXACTLY what POTUS has done, from December to March....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:

==========================================================

So many words ...most showing that whatever our President does you and your fellow left wing posters will try to twist what he has done and is doing.

I am a conservative and over 80.
I'm worried that you do not see what our President is doing to protect us.

When I start seeing unicorns and pots of gold at the end of the rainbow, I will be able to see what Trump is doing to protect us. He does not bother to state his own policy decisions correctly when speaking to the nation from the Oval Office. He tells sick workers to go to work. He refuses test kits from WHO and then produces defective ones. He follows (not leads) the recommendations of states and cities. 

So.........how is he helping? 

Regular Social Butterfly

@MsStretch wrote:

@KidBoy2 wrote:
MsStretch posted..

The Democrats are overreacting. Everything is going to be OK.

You got that part right.

This part you got wrong..." Republicans are not worried. The head guy is not worried."

You forgot to C&P the part where I said I get it.

@MsStretch wrote:

OK, we get it.  Republicans are not worried.  The head guy is not worried.  The Democrats are overreacting.  Everything is going to be OK.

Shall we go to the realtime map again?  As of 3/16, 11:53 AM (EDT), there are 3813 cases, 69 deaths in the U.S.

Because there has been no definitive plan from the head guy, mostly mealy-mouth rhetoric, states and major companies are taking the initiative and issuing their own directives.  A travel ban from China and Europe?  COVID-19 already entrenched in this country.  Now Mexico wants to close the border to the U.S.!  Speculation about a travel ban from the hot spot states?  Huh?!

IMPOTUS is floundering and showing how impotent he is.  He's not doing a very good job of projecting strong leadership and pulling this nation together in a common cause; witness this very thread.  I'm glad there are those who think he is brilliant and are not worried.  Me?  Read my shirt: 

I am a Democrat and over 60.
I'm worried that you're not worried.
Please stay away from me.

As far as Republicans not being worried, some of your compatriots would disagree. Witness the OP and the responses in this very thread.

Huh?  I, the OP, am not very worried but I said that liberals should be.

You are getting sleepy.
Esteemed Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky wrote:

@MsStretch wrote:

@KidBoy2 wrote:
MsStretch posted..

You got that part right.

This part you got wrong..." Republicans are not worried. The head guy is not worried."

You forgot to C&P the part where I said I get it.

@MsStretch wrote:

OK, we get it.  Republicans are not worried.  The head guy is not worried.  The Democrats are overreacting.  Everything is going to be OK.

Shall we go to the realtime map again?  As of 3/16, 11:53 AM (EDT), there are 3813 cases, 69 deaths in the U.S.

Because there has been no definitive plan from the head guy, mostly mealy-mouth rhetoric, states and major companies are taking the initiative and issuing their own directives.  A travel ban from China and Europe?  COVID-19 already entrenched in this country.  Now Mexico wants to close the border to the U.S.!  Speculation about a travel ban from the hot spot states?  Huh?!

IMPOTUS is floundering and showing how impotent he is.  He's not doing a very good job of projecting strong leadership and pulling this nation together in a common cause; witness this very thread.  I'm glad there are those who think he is brilliant and are not worried.  Me?  Read my shirt: 

I am a Democrat and over 60.
I'm worried that you're not worried.
Please stay away from me.

As far as Republicans not being worried, some of your compatriots would disagree. Witness the OP and the responses in this very thread.

Huh?  I, the OP, am not very worried but I said that liberals should be.

Case in point, but @KidBoy2  disagrees with you (see his post at top).  I was just pointing that out to him.

Speaking of Democrats overreacting, my REPUBLICAN county just reported its first case and immediately called a local state of emergency.  Their REPUBLICAN government offices are only open on a limited basis.  DMV has suspended all operations.  Is this... this... REPUBLICANS overreacting?!  After all, it's only one out of 150,000 people. 

Actually, thank God some governments are being proactive instead of saying crap like, "It's only one case.  This will all go away by April."

Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:
MsStretch posted..

You got that part right.

Are you saying the Republicans and Trump ARE worried?  Then all that misinformation, being slow to address the crisis, and chaos is just Trump's incompetence and not apathy?  I think that is scarier.

Honored Social Butterfly

Yeah, that's why they won't reveal their health plan until after the election in November....LOL!!!

Regular Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Yeah, that's why they won't reveal their health plan until after the election in November....LOL!!!

I was talking about individual Republicans each having a personal plan to deal with coronavirus but, thanks for showing your liberal hallucination that it was about government.

You are getting sleepy.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Smiley Very Happy

Image result for cartoon trump won't reveal his health plan until after the election

Honored Social Butterfly

Science.

We are on the same trajectory as Italy.  

Honored Social Butterfly

ManicProgressive posted...

=============================================================

I do not think so.

Italy ....368 dead in the last 34 hours. 1809 dead so far.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:

I do not think so.

Italy ....368 dead in the last 34 hours. 1809 dead so far.DD1B67C2-A94D-44FE-8D02-4BCDDCE6A3DB.jpeg

Honored Social Butterfly

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@KidBoy2 wrote:

I do not think so.

Italy ....368 dead in the last 34 hours. 1809 dead so far.DD1B67C2-A94D-44FE-8D02-4BCDDCE6A3DB.jpeg

Nice graph....will bookmark for future reference.  Sure shows how trump squandered the extra time gained by stopping flights from China.  I', glad he's in control of the virus as he claimed yesterday.  Meanwhile, expect the markets to tank again today.

Most understand how important early testing is, all except apparently the US Government which is woefully behind....

Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:

I do not think so.

Italy ....368 dead in the last 34 hours. 1809 dead so far.

That proves what?  trumps BS claim that he has everything under control and then leaves the room so he can't hear the scientists or medical experts....

Image result for lalala finger in ear gif

Honored Social Butterfly

We cancelled a Democratic Party event at the Golf Clubhouse on Thursday because of the virus.  I had a beer at their bar while waiting to make sure someone was there in case a Democrat had not gotten the word.  While there, I was amused to see the Republicans were holding a fundraiser in a different room.  

One of the folks at the bar commented; "The Republicans all listen to Fox News so they showed up.  The Democrats all listen to the Science Channel so they cancelled".  THAT is going into the newsletter. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

We cancelled a Democratic Party event at the Golf Clubhouse on Thursday because of the virus.  I had a beer at their bar while waiting to make sure someone was there in case a Democrat had not gotten the word.  While there, I was amused to see the Republicans were holding a fundraiser in a different room.  

One of the folks at the bar commented; "The Republicans all listen to Fox News so they showed up.  The Democrats all listen to the Science Channel so they cancelled".  THAT is going into the newsletter. 

Add this too the newsletter if there is room.....

Trump claimed today he has everything under control, just as the virus is about to spread and kill hundreds....just like his white supremacists.  I'm sue glad he has everything under control.....aren't you?

shining-a-couple-of-weeks-of-isolation-with-the-family-what-can-go-wrong-jack-nicholson.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Polls show that how much voters worry about the outbreak depends on their political views, to a degree that’s unusual for a national crisis

========================================================
It does say a lot.

Whats not unusual about it it shows what the media is trying to do to the way we think about issues. As the media is doing their best to put blame for the handling of the Coronavirus outbreak on the Trump administration is it any wonder that the Democrats are more worried .

The fact is that the Trump team is doing a good job preventing the spread of Coronavirus.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

KidBoy2:   As the media is doing their best to put blame for the handling of the Coronavirus outbreak on the Trump administration is it any wonder that the Democrats are more worried .

The media is doing their job by reporting what is happening. Unlike Fox, they aren't fluffing it up first so that it puts Trump in the best light. Unless there is a shadow administration making the Coronavirus calls, this is owned by Trump.

Esteemed Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:
Polls show that how much voters worry about the outbreak depends on their political views, to a degree that’s unusual for a national crisis

========================================================
It does say a lot.

Whats not unusual about it it shows what the media is trying to do to the way we think about issues. As the media is doing their best to put blame for the handling of the Coronavirus outbreak on the Trump administration is it any wonder that the Democrats are more worried .

The fact is that the Trump team is doing a good job preventing the spread of Coronavirus.

Well, OK then.  We went from "having it under control" and "being a very small problem in this country" to eighth in the world.  Shall we go to the realtime map (click on US for more detailed into) and see the "good job of preventing the spread" in action?

BTW, no one is trying to blame the handling of the outbreak on the Trump administration.  The CDC tried to do its part.  No, this is entirely on IMPOTUS himself.  Those **bleep** hunches aren't always foolproof.

Honored Social Butterfly

The rest of the WORLD is twice as worried about the coronavirus as Republicans are. That is because the Republican's leader is actually Alfred E. Newman in disguise. 

Image result for what , me worry?

Regular Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

The rest of the WORLD is twice as worried about the coronavirus as Republicans are. That is because the Republican's leader is actually Alfred E. Newman in disguise. 

Image result for what , me worry?

Butt2.jpg

You are getting sleepy.
Honored Social Butterfly

Democrats are Twice as Worried as Republicans about Coronavirus

Geography could play a role, as Democrats are more likely to live in cities, which are the sites of the worst outbreaks

You Think?

Most Democrats tend to live on the coasts as well.

Bet a dollar they're more concerned about sea level rise then the Rocky Mountain Trump Party too.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png