Can blue light from your phone cause vision problems? Find out and learn more about your vision in the AARP Eye Center.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Democrats Are Commiting Suicide By Favoring Migrants

Message 21 of 24

@jfpinlvn wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

Planning on competing with Borowitz?

Still got a ways to go there...

Did you have a comment on the topic?

The topic?  

Well - given that I'm neither an alt-right or a racist like trump appears to be - I disagree with the entirety of the thrust and what I interpret to be the intent of it.

PNG

44>dolt45
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 24

@alferdpacker wrote:

Did you have a comment on the topic?

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 24

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Democrats Are Commiting Suicide By Favoring Migrants

Message 24 of 24

From the New Yorker:

"Democrats in 2017, in general, tend to criticize the use of immigration enforcement, and tend to side with those accused of violating immigration law, as a broad matter of principle beyond opposing the particular actions of the administration … Democrats are no longer as willing to attack “illegal immigration” as a fundamental problem anymore.

This is, to be blunt, political suicide. The Democrats’ current position seems to be that the Dreamer parents who broke the law are near heroes, indistinguishable from the children they brought with them; and their rhetoric is very hard to distinguish, certainly for most swing voters, from a belief in open borders. In fact, the Democrats increasingly seem to suggest that any kind of distinction between citizens and noncitizens is somehow racist. You could see this at the last convention, when an entire evening was dedicated to Latinos, illegal and legal, as if the rule of law were largely irrelevant. Hence the euphemism “undocumented” rather than “illegal.” So the stage was built, lit, and set for Trump.

He still tragically owns that stage. What Merkel did for the AfD, the Democrats are in danger of doing for the Trump wing of the GOP. The most powerful thing Trump said in the campaign, I’d argue, was: “If you don’t have borders, you don’t have a country.” And the Democrats had no answer, something that millions of Americans immediately saw. They still formally favor enforcement of immigration laws, but rhetorically, they keep signaling the opposite. Here is Dylan Matthews, also in Vox, expressing the emerging liberal consensus: “Personally, I think any center-left party worth its salt has to be deeply committed to egalitarianism, not just for people born in the U.S. but for everyone … It means treating people born outside the U.S. as equals … And it means a strong presumption in favor of open immigration.” Here’s Zack Beauchamp, a liberal friend of mine: “What if I told you that immigration restrictionism is and always has been racist?” Borders themselves are racist? Seriously?

The entire concept of a nation whose citizens solely determine its future — the core foundation for any viable democracy at all — is now deemed by many left-liberals to be a function of bigotry. This is the kind of madness that could keep them from power indefinitely."

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/10/the-issue-that-could-lose-the-next-election-for-democra...

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors