Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

Democratic socialism surging in the age of Trump

Last Friday, Maine Democrat Zak Ringelstein wasn't ready to consider himself a formal member of the Democratic Socialists of America, even if he appreciated the organization's values and endorsement in his bid to become a United States senator.

 

Three days later, he told The Associated Press that was ready to become the only major-party Senate candidate in the nation to be a dues-paying democratic socialist.

 

The swift evolution is latest evidence of a nationwide surge in the strength and popularity of an organization that, until recently, operated on the fringes of the liberal movement's farthest left flank. But as Donald Trump's presidency stretches into its second year, democratic socialism has become a significant force in Democratic politics. Its rise comes as Democrats debate whether moving too far left will turn off voters.

 

"I stand with the democratic socialists, and I have decided to become a dues-paying member," Ringelstein told the AP. "It's time to do what's right, even if it's not easy."

 

There are 42 men and women running for offices at the federal, state and local levels this year with the formal endorsement of the Democratic Socialists of America, the organization says. They span 20 states, including Florida, Hawaii, Kansas and Michigan.

 

The most ambitious Democrats in Washington have been reluctant to embrace the label, even as they embrace the policies defining modern-day democratic socialism: Medicare for all, a $15 minimum wage, free college tuition and the abolition of the federal department of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, also known as ICE.

 

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, Congress' only self-identified democratic socialist, campaigned Friday with the movement's newest star, New York City congressional candidate Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez, a 28-year-old former bartender who defeated one of the most powerful House Democrats last month.

Her victory poured gasoline onto a fire that was already beginning to burn brighter. The DSA's paid membership has hovered around 6,000 in recent years, said Allie Cohn, a member of the group's national political team.

 

Last week, its paid membership hit 45,000 nationwide.

 

There is little distinction made between the terms "democratic socialism" and "socialism" in the group's literature. While Ringelstein and other DSA-backed candidates promote a "big-tent" philosophy, the DSA constitution describes their members as socialists who "reject an economic order based on private profit" and "share a vision of a humane social order based on popular control of resources and production, economic planning, equitable distribution, feminism, racial equality and non-oppressive relationships."

 

 

Corey Butler, center, stands as he explains what democratic socialism means to him during a meeting of the Southern Maine Democratic Socialists of America at City Hall in Portland, Maine on July 16.

(Charles Krupa / AP)
 

Members during public meetings often refer to each other "comrades," wear clothing featuring socialist symbols like the rose and promote authors such as Karl Marx.

 

The common association with the Soviet Union, the first state to adopt a form of socialism, has made it difficult for sympathetic liberals to explain their connection.

 

"I don't like the term socialist, because people do associate that with bad things in history," said Kansas congressional candidate James Thompson, who is endorsed by the DSA and campaigned alongside Sanders and Ocasio-Cortez, but is not a dues-paying democratic socialist. "There's definitely a lot of their policies that closely align with mine."

 

Thompson, an Army veteran turned civil rights attorney, is running again after narrowly losing a special election last year to fill the seat vacated by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. Even in deep-red Kansas, he embraces policies like "Medicare for all" and is openly critical of capitalism.

 

In Hawaii, 29-year-old state Rep. Kaniela Ing isn't shy about promoting his status as a democratic socialist in his bid for Congress. He said he was encouraged to run for higher office by the same activist who recruited Ocasio-Cortez.

 

"We figured just lean in hard," Kaniela told the AP of the democratic socialist label. He acknowledged some baby boomers may be scared away, but said the policies democratic socialists promote — like free health care and economic equality — aren't extreme.

 

Republicans, meanwhile, are encouraged by the rise of democratic socialism — for a far different reason. They have seized on what they view as a leftward lurch by Democrats they predict will alienate voters this fall and in the 2020 presidential race.

 

The Republican National Committee eagerly notes that Sanders' plan to provide free government-sponsored health care for all Americans had no co-sponsors in 2013. Today, more than one-third of Senate Democrats and two-thirds of House Democrats have signed onto the proposal, which by one estimate could cost taxpayers as much as $32 trillion.

 

The co-sponsors include 2020 presidential prospects such as Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker, New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrandand California Sen. Kamala Harris.

Spokesmen confirmed that none of the senators consider themselves democratic socialists, but made no effort to distance from the movement's priorities.

 

Most support the push to abolish ICE, which enforces immigration laws and led the Trump administration's recent push to separate immigrant families at U.S.-Mexico border.

 

Of the group, only Booker hasn't called for ICE to be abolished, replaced or rebuilt. Yet Booker's office notes that he's among the few senators backing a plan to guarantee government-backed jobs to unemployed adults in high-unemployment communities across America.

 

"Half of voters already think the Democratic Party is too extreme, so embracing socialist policies like government-run health care, a guaranteed jobs program and open borders will only make Democrats more out of touch," RNC Chair Ronna Romney McDaniel said.

 

Despite Ocasio-Cortez's recent success, most DSA-endorsed candidates have struggled.

 

Gayle McLaughlin finished eighth in last month's Democratic primary to become California's lieutenant governor, earning just 4 percent of the vote. All three endorsed candidates for Maryland's Montgomery County Council lost last month as well. And Ryan Fenwick was blown out by 58 points in his run to become mayor of Louisville, Kentucky.

 

Ringelstein, a 32-year-old political neophyte, is expected to struggle in his campaign to unseat Maine Sen. Angus King, an independent who caucuses with Democrats. He is refusing to accept donations from lobbyists or corporate political action committees, which has made fundraising a grind. At the end of June, King's campaign reported $2.4 million cash on hand while Ringelstein had just $23,000.

 

He has tapped into the party's national progressive movement and the southern Maine chapter of the DSA for the kind of grassroots support that fueled Ocasio-Cortez's victory. As he has almost every month this year, Ringelstein attended the group's monthly meeting at Portland's city hall last Monday.

More than 60 people packed into the room. The group's chairman, 25-year-old union organizer Meg Reilly, wore a t-shirt featuring three roses.

 

She cheered the "comrades" softball team's recent season before moving into an agenda that touched on climate change legislation, a book share program "to further your socialist education," and an exchange program that lets community members swap favors such as jewelry repair, pet sitting or cooking.

 

Near the end of the two-hour gathering, Ringelstein formally thanked the group for "standing shoulder to shoulder with us throughout this entire campaign."

 

"We could win a U.S. Senate seat!" he said. "I want to say that over and over. We could win a U.S. Senate seat! So, let's do this."

 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-democratic-socialism-midterms-20180720-st...

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

Bring it!

 

 

 

 

 

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
394 Views
17
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Related image

Honored Social Butterfly

Congrats, comrades, on shaking Democrats up the right way

 

Columnist

 

“Socialism has known increments of success, basic failure and massive betrayal. Yet it is more relevant to the humane construction of the twenty-first century than any other idea.”

 

With those words, Michael Harrington began his book “Socialism,” published in 1972. In his day, Harrington was often called “America’s leading socialist.” He was also one of the most decent voices in politics, a view shared not just by his friends but also by most of his critics.

 

Harrington founded Democratic Socialists of America (DSA), which, in the often splintered politics of the left, was a breakaway group from the old Socialist Party. My hunch is that Harrington — whom I counted as a friend until his death in 1989 at the age of 61 — would be amazed, though not entirely surprised, by the extraordinary growth of DSA since Bernie Sanders’s 2016 presidential campaign.

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/democratic-socialisms-time-has-come-around/2018/07/18/de9072...

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

Bring it!  

 

 

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
392 Views
15
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

I don't think that many Americans are now becoming Democratic Socialists as you seem to think.

Personally, I don't think it will work in the US.  What they say Medicare for All and free truition At the Universities, is more of a dream that at least in the US will not come to be a reality.

One reason that even if Hillary was such a lousy candidate, Bernie Sanders in reality didn't win that many people behind  him.

Don't get me wrong, I am a full proponent on a Universal Health Care system. one that will be implemented in The US according to our needs.  Medicare would have to be changed in many ways to be able to become Medicare for all.  and  as far as free tuition that is more than a dream. is an impossibility. MOst Universities would have to declare bankruptcy.
So, don't even think  about calling Democrats Comrades,  Ir looks to me that the title is now more on the Republican side. Remember it is you guys the ones that think that alliance with Russia is a good thing.

no name
0 Kudos
385 Views
14
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Roxanna35 wrote:

I don't think that many Americans are now becoming Democratic Socialists as you seem to think.

Personally, I don't think it will work in the US.  What they say Medicare for All and free truition At the Universities, is more of a dream that at least in the US will not come to be a reality.

One reason that even if Hillary was such a lousy candidate, Bernie Sanders in reality didn't win that many people behind  him.

Don't get me wrong, I am a full proponent on a Universal Health Care system. one that will be implemented in The US according to our needs.  Medicare would have to be changed in many ways to be able to become Medicare for all.  and  as far as free tuition that is more than a dream. is an impossibility. MOst Universities would have to declare bankruptcy.
So, don't even think  about calling Democrats Comrades,  Ir looks to me that the title is now more on the Republican side. Remember it is you guys the ones that think that alliance with Russia is a good thing.


I don't see anything wrong with being friends with Russia yet some of the liberal persuasion would feel much more at ease with their type of government (Socialism/Communism). Their government is non workable here. It is better for us to be friends with as many countries as we can. After all, the opposite of friends is enemies.

 

Friends help each other and enemies fight with each other with devastating consequences.

Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

I don't think that many Americans are now becoming Democratic Socialists as you seem to think.

Personally, I don't think it will work in the US.  What they say Medicare for All and free truition At the Universities, is more of a dream that at least in the US will not come to be a reality.

One reason that even if Hillary was such a lousy candidate, Bernie Sanders in reality didn't win that many people behind  him.

Don't get me wrong, I am a full proponent on a Universal Health Care system. one that will be implemented in The US according to our needs.  Medicare would have to be changed in many ways to be able to become Medicare for all.  and  as far as free tuition that is more than a dream. is an impossibility. MOst Universities would have to declare bankruptcy.
So, don't even think  about calling Democrats Comrades,  Ir looks to me that the title is now more on the Republican side. Remember it is you guys the ones that think that alliance with Russia is a good thing.


I don't see anything wrong with being friends with Russia yet some of the liberal persuasion would feel much more at ease with their type of government (Socialism/Communism). Their government is non workable here. It is better for us to be friends with as many countries as we can. After all, the opposite of friends is enemies.

 

Friends help each other and enemies fight with each other with devastating consequences.


The "friend" you want us to roll over for is the international equivalent of the kid your momma told you to stay away from because he'd take you to juvie along with him. After many decades of being totally anti-Russian, strange GOPers now insist Russia is our new BFF... could it be they're trying to deflect approbation from their gutless leader as he makes a fool of himself on the World stage fawning over so many dictators and insulting so many democratically elected leaders? Is it because you KNOW he could never have been elected without the considerable help of Putin?

0 Kudos
360 Views
5
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Olderscout66 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

I don't think that many Americans are now becoming Democratic Socialists as you seem to think.

Personally, I don't think it will work in the US.  What they say Medicare for All and free truition At the Universities, is more of a dream that at least in the US will not come to be a reality.

One reason that even if Hillary was such a lousy candidate, Bernie Sanders in reality didn't win that many people behind  him.

Don't get me wrong, I am a full proponent on a Universal Health Care system. one that will be implemented in The US according to our needs.  Medicare would have to be changed in many ways to be able to become Medicare for all.  and  as far as free tuition that is more than a dream. is an impossibility. MOst Universities would have to declare bankruptcy.
So, don't even think  about calling Democrats Comrades,  Ir looks to me that the title is now more on the Republican side. Remember it is you guys the ones that think that alliance with Russia is a good thing.


I don't see anything wrong with being friends with Russia yet some of the liberal persuasion would feel much more at ease with their type of government (Socialism/Communism). Their government is non workable here. It is better for us to be friends with as many countries as we can. After all, the opposite of friends is enemies.

 

Friends help each other and enemies fight with each other with devastating consequences.


The "friend" you want us to roll over for is the international equivalent of the kid your momma told you to stay away from because he'd take you to juvie along with him. After many decades of being totally anti-Russian, strange GOPers now insist Russia is our new BFF... could it be they're trying to deflect approbation from their gutless leader as he makes a fool of himself on the World stage fawning over so many dictators and insulting so many democratically elected leaders? Is it because you KNOW he could never have been elected without the considerable help of Putin?


The ONLY leaders that would "roll over" for communists are liberals. Conservatives would attempt to work together peacefully (if possible) and not adapt their way of living. You are the guys that would love Communism/Socialism. You think everything is free. Like I said before, Russia is better off being our friend than our enemy while the left wants to embrace their way of life.

0 Kudos
305 Views
3
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

I don't think that many Americans are now becoming Democratic Socialists as you seem to think.

Personally, I don't think it will work in the US.  What they say Medicare for All and free truition At the Universities, is more of a dream that at least in the US will not come to be a reality.

One reason that even if Hillary was such a lousy candidate, Bernie Sanders in reality didn't win that many people behind  him.

Don't get me wrong, I am a full proponent on a Universal Health Care system. one that will be implemented in The US according to our needs.  Medicare would have to be changed in many ways to be able to become Medicare for all.  and  as far as free tuition that is more than a dream. is an impossibility. MOst Universities would have to declare bankruptcy.
So, don't even think  about calling Democrats Comrades,  Ir looks to me that the title is now more on the Republican side. Remember it is you guys the ones that think that alliance with Russia is a good thing.


I don't see anything wrong with being friends with Russia yet some of the liberal persuasion would feel much more at ease with their type of government (Socialism/Communism). Their government is non workable here. It is better for us to be friends with as many countries as we can. After all, the opposite of friends is enemies.

 

Friends help each other and enemies fight with each other with devastating consequences.


The "friend" you want us to roll over for is the international equivalent of the kid your momma told you to stay away from because he'd take you to juvie along with him. After many decades of being totally anti-Russian, strange GOPers now insist Russia is our new BFF... could it be they're trying to deflect approbation from their gutless leader as he makes a fool of himself on the World stage fawning over so many dictators and insulting so many democratically elected leaders? Is it because you KNOW he could never have been elected without the considerable help of Putin?


The ONLY leaders that would "roll over" for communists are liberals. Conservatives would attempt to work together peacefully (if possible) and not adapt their way of living. You are the guys that would love Communism/Socialism. You think everything is free. Like I said before, Russia is better off being our friend than our enemy while the left wants to embrace their way of life.


The words and thoughts of Russian trolls and bots have reached and infulenced some trump supporters, haven't they?

 

 

44>dolt45
0 Kudos
298 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@alferdpacker wrote:

 


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

I don't think that many Americans are now becoming Democratic Socialists as you seem to think.

Personally, I don't think it will work in the US.  What they say Medicare for All and free truition At the Universities, is more of a dream that at least in the US will not come to be a reality.

One reason that even if Hillary was such a lousy candidate, Bernie Sanders in reality didn't win that many people behind  him.

Don't get me wrong, I am a full proponent on a Universal Health Care system. one that will be implemented in The US according to our needs.  Medicare would have to be changed in many ways to be able to become Medicare for all.  and  as far as free tuition that is more than a dream. is an impossibility. MOst Universities would have to declare bankruptcy.
So, don't even think  about calling Democrats Comrades,  Ir looks to me that the title is now more on the Republican side. Remember it is you guys the ones that think that alliance with Russia is a good thing.


I don't see anything wrong with being friends with Russia yet some of the liberal persuasion would feel much more at ease with their type of government (Socialism/Communism). Their government is non workable here. It is better for us to be friends with as many countries as we can. After all, the opposite of friends is enemies.

 

Friends help each other and enemies fight with each other with devastating consequences.


The "friend" you want us to roll over for is the international equivalent of the kid your momma told you to stay away from because he'd take you to juvie along with him. After many decades of being totally anti-Russian, strange GOPers now insist Russia is our new BFF... could it be they're trying to deflect approbation from their gutless leader as he makes a fool of himself on the World stage fawning over so many dictators and insulting so many democratically elected leaders? Is it because you KNOW he could never have been elected without the considerable help of Putin?


The ONLY leaders that would "roll over" for communists are liberals. Conservatives would attempt to work together peacefully (if possible) and not adapt their way of living. You are the guys that would love Communism/Socialism. You think everything is free. Like I said before, Russia is better off being our friend than our enemy while the left wants to embrace their way of life.


The words and thoughts of Russian trolls and bots have reached and infulenced some trump supporters, haven't they?

 

 


NO!

0 Kudos
291 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

 


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

I don't think that many Americans are now becoming Democratic Socialists as you seem to think.

Personally, I don't think it will work in the US.  What they say Medicare for All and free truition At the Universities, is more of a dream that at least in the US will not come to be a reality.

One reason that even if Hillary was such a lousy candidate, Bernie Sanders in reality didn't win that many people behind  him.

Don't get me wrong, I am a full proponent on a Universal Health Care system. one that will be implemented in The US according to our needs.  Medicare would have to be changed in many ways to be able to become Medicare for all.  and  as far as free tuition that is more than a dream. is an impossibility. MOst Universities would have to declare bankruptcy.
So, don't even think  about calling Democrats Comrades,  Ir looks to me that the title is now more on the Republican side. Remember it is you guys the ones that think that alliance with Russia is a good thing.


I don't see anything wrong with being friends with Russia yet some of the liberal persuasion would feel much more at ease with their type of government (Socialism/Communism). Their government is non workable here. It is better for us to be friends with as many countries as we can. After all, the opposite of friends is enemies.

 

Friends help each other and enemies fight with each other with devastating consequences.


The "friend" you want us to roll over for is the international equivalent of the kid your momma told you to stay away from because he'd take you to juvie along with him. After many decades of being totally anti-Russian, strange GOPers now insist Russia is our new BFF... could it be they're trying to deflect approbation from their gutless leader as he makes a fool of himself on the World stage fawning over so many dictators and insulting so many democratically elected leaders? Is it because you KNOW he could never have been elected without the considerable help of Putin?


The ONLY leaders that would "roll over" for communists are liberals. Conservatives would attempt to work together peacefully (if possible) and not adapt their way of living. You are the guys that would love Communism/Socialism. You think everything is free. Like I said before, Russia is better off being our friend than our enemy while the left wants to embrace their way of life.


The words and thoughts of Russian trolls and bots have reached and infulenced some trump supporters, haven't they?

 

 


NO!


Now, now - don't plotz - it's obvious - that frantic, sweaty, panicky denial is a dead giveaway...

44>dolt45
0 Kudos
288 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Olderscout66 wrote:


The "friend" you want us to roll over for is the international equivalent of the kid your momma told you to stay away from because he'd take you to juvie along with him. After many decades of being totally anti-Russian, strange GOPers now insist Russia is our new BFF... could it be they're trying to deflect approbation from their gutless leader as he makes a fool of himself on the World stage fawning over so many dictators and insulting so many democratically elected leaders? Is it because you KNOW he could never have been elected without the considerable help of Putin?


Who considers Russia "our new BFF"? Or is that just one more of that extensive list of "those" facts?

 

As to the election - can you point to any knowledgeable person or group that can show that Russia effected the outcome of our elections? If not - just add that to "those" facts.

 

As to decades of "anti" - We on the right spent many decades as anti-Communists while you on the left supported them (hey, those Rosenbergs weren't all that bad). With the fall of the USSR (thank you President Reagan - tax cuts and all) Americans in general were inclined to cautiously accept the new reality in the world - Russia. But now, due to the hatred for President Trump some have to look at his reactions and automatically go the other way.

0 Kudos
331 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:


I don't see anything wrong with being friends with Russia yet some of the liberal persuasion would feel much more at ease with their type of government (Socialism/Communism). Their government is non workable here. It is better for us to be friends with as many countries as we can. After all, the opposite of friends is enemies.

 

Friends help each other and enemies fight with each other with devastating consequences.


Your words make me very very sad. Never in my mind did I imagine that I would hear an American say that is ok to be friends with Russia. Gee, if I had know that  Americans thought so well of Russians, I would have never come here. I would have probably done very well in my country.
But just the thought that I would be involved with a country that was so different from my beliefs., that would be the instigator of words that go against the freedom that we have enjoyed in this country. That we in this country would find nothing wrong to be the friends of our enemies. Is just too unimaginable for me to accept.
I am now extremely sorry for all of you.  I do believe based on my  own experience that you will all wake up and see what you have been entertaining the enemy. I really hope that your Democracy survives any of this. 
Americans that have died fighting Communism , families that have bee displaced because of Communism Those people will not be with any of you, and will despise your treason and your new alliance. 
Shame of any of you that have utter those words. shame on anyone that thinks that Russia is our friend or that could ever be our friend. 

What has happened to this country? where are the patriots in this country?  Where are the Vets in this message board,  Tx  where are you.?Is this what you fought for?

no name
Honored Social Butterfly


@Roxanna35 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:


I don't see anything wrong with being friends with Russia yet some of the liberal persuasion would feel much more at ease with their type of government (Socialism/Communism). Their government is non workable here. It is better for us to be friends with as many countries as we can. After all, the opposite of friends is enemies.

 

Friends help each other and enemies fight with each other with devastating consequences.


Your words make me very very sad. Never in my mind did I imagine that I would hear an American say that is ok to be friends with Russia. Gee, if I had know that  Americans thought so well of Russians, I would have never come here. I would have probably done very well in my country.
But just the thought that I would be involved with a country that was so different from my beliefs., that would be the instigator of words that go against the freedom that we have enjoyed in this country. That we in this country would find nothing wrong to be the friends of our enemies. Is just too unimaginable for me to accept.
I am now extremely sorry for all of you.  I do believe based on my  own experience that you will all wake up and see what you have been entertaining the enemy. I really hope that your Democracy survives any of this. 
Americans that have died fighting Communism , families that have bee displaced because of Communism Those people will not be with any of you, and will despise your treason and your new alliance. 
Shame of any of you that have utter those words. shame on anyone that thinks that Russia is our friend or that could ever be our friend. 

What has happened to this country? where are the patriots in this country?  Where are the Vets in this message board,  Tx  where are you.?Is this what you fought for?


yOU should consider how many Americans died fighting Japan, Germany, and Italy (shall we not enjoy pizza?).

 

tHE unfortunate reality is that this has  nothing to do with Russia (a reality in the world) and everything to do with Trump. To the shallow, what a President does has little meaning - who he is means everything.

0 Kudos
341 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

I don't think that many Americans are now becoming Democratic Socialists as you seem to think.

Personally, I don't think it will work in the US.  What they say Medicare for All and free truition At the Universities, is more of a dream that at least in the US will not come to be a reality.

One reason that even if Hillary was such a lousy candidate, Bernie Sanders in reality didn't win that many people behind  him.

Don't get me wrong, I am a full proponent on a Universal Health Care system. one that will be implemented in The US according to our needs.  Medicare would have to be changed in many ways to be able to become Medicare for all.  and  as far as free tuition that is more than a dream. is an impossibility. MOst Universities would have to declare bankruptcy.
So, don't even think  about calling Democrats Comrades,  Ir looks to me that the title is now more on the Republican side. Remember it is you guys the ones that think that alliance with Russia is a good thing.


I don't see anything wrong with being friends with Russia yet some of the liberal persuasion would feel much more at ease with their type of government (Socialism/Communism). Their government is non workable here. It is better for us to be friends with as many countries as we can. After all, the opposite of friends is enemies.

 

Friends help each other and enemies fight with each other with devastating consequences.


The communist party has been saying this for years. That the Russians only did and do the things that they do out of self defense and we should work with them. Of course, patriots see what they are doing and realize it is not in the best interest of America but hey, if it keeps your guy in power, what does that matter?

Honored Social Butterfly


@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

I don't think that many Americans are now becoming Democratic Socialists as you seem to think.

Personally, I don't think it will work in the US.  What they say Medicare for All and free truition At the Universities, is more of a dream that at least in the US will not come to be a reality.

One reason that even if Hillary was such a lousy candidate, Bernie Sanders in reality didn't win that many people behind  him.

Don't get me wrong, I am a full proponent on a Universal Health Care system. one that will be implemented in The US according to our needs.  Medicare would have to be changed in many ways to be able to become Medicare for all.  and  as far as free tuition that is more than a dream. is an impossibility. MOst Universities would have to declare bankruptcy.
So, don't even think  about calling Democrats Comrades,  Ir looks to me that the title is now more on the Republican side. Remember it is you guys the ones that think that alliance with Russia is a good thing.


I don't see anything wrong with being friends with Russia yet some of the liberal persuasion would feel much more at ease with their type of government (Socialism/Communism). Their government is non workable here. It is better for us to be friends with as many countries as we can. After all, the opposite of friends is enemies.

 

Friends help each other and enemies fight with each other with devastating consequences.


The communist party has been saying this for years. That the Russians only did and do the things that they do out of self defense and we should work with them. Of course, patriots see what they are doing and realize it is not in the best interest of America but hey, if it keeps your guy in power, what does that matter?


Are you referring to the "patriots" who defended and supported the USSR including assisting their spread into this hemisphere as in Nicaragua? And yet now - Russia is the enemy because those "patriots" hate Trump. 

 

(sigh) Very fickle people.

0 Kudos
357 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@rk9152 wrote:

Are you referring to the "patriots" who defended and supported the USSR including assisting their spread into this hemisphere as in Nicaragua? And yet now - Russia is the enemy because those "patriots" hate Trump. 

 

(sigh) Very fickle people.


No. I was pretty much talking about the people who fought and died for our way of life only to have Trump give it away to Putin in exchange for a Trump branded hotel in Moscow and a couple of hookers. 

0 Kudos
362 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Are you referring to the "patriots" who defended and supported the USSR including assisting their spread into this hemisphere as in Nicaragua? And yet now - Russia is the enemy because those "patriots" hate Trump. 

 

(sigh) Very fickle people.


No. I was pretty much talking about the people who fought and died for our way of life only to have Trump give it away to Putin in exchange for a Trump branded hotel in Moscow and a couple of hookers. 


Same as 321 - how many fought and died fighting Germany who is now buying energy from Russia?

 

The shallowness I described to 321 comes through in the hotels and hookers comment.

0 Kudos
339 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

I don't think that many Americans are now becoming Democratic Socialists as you seem to think.

Personally, I don't think it will work in the US.  What they say Medicare for All and free truition At the Universities, is more of a dream that at least in the US will not come to be a reality.

One reason that even if Hillary was such a lousy candidate, Bernie Sanders in reality didn't win that many people behind  him.

Don't get me wrong, I am a full proponent on a Universal Health Care system. one that will be implemented in The US according to our needs.  Medicare would have to be changed in many ways to be able to become Medicare for all.  and  as far as free tuition that is more than a dream. is an impossibility. MOst Universities would have to declare bankruptcy.
So, don't even think  about calling Democrats Comrades,  Ir looks to me that the title is now more on the Republican side. Remember it is you guys the ones that think that alliance with Russia is a good thing.


I don't see anything wrong with being friends with Russia yet some of the liberal persuasion would feel much more at ease with their type of government (Socialism/Communism). Their government is non workable here. It is better for us to be friends with as many countries as we can. After all, the opposite of friends is enemies.

 

Friends help each other and enemies fight with each other with devastating consequences.


The communist party has been saying this for years. That the Russians only did and do the things that they do out of self defense and we should work with them. Of course, patriots see what they are doing and realize it is not in the best interest of America but hey, if it keeps your guy in power, what does that matter?


I believe that we are doing what's best for the U.S.A. and I think your reference to Patriots are never liberals!

 

Patriot:

a person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it against enemies or detractors.
 
 
 
0 Kudos
379 Views
0
Report
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png