Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

Democracy is hard work

You can treat politics like it is something important, or, you can treat it like rooting for a sports team. If the later, you don't have to worry about facts, or the effect of your rooting (voting), it is just fun to support the home team. It doesn't matter if they kneel or win or whatever, you just root for them.

 

If you think politics is important, then you have some obligations. You must inform yourself, you must think about the issues, you must take the trouble to vote, If you don't do these things, you are not a good citizen.

 

If you sat out the last election, or you voted for a protest candidate, or you were uninformed when you voted, or if you refused to do your own thinking about the issues, then you must share the blame for the current state of affairs.

 

This year, you will have another chance to vote. You can vote for those congress persons who blindly supported their party, or you can vote for those who accepted the responsibility of supporting a democracy.

Honored Social Butterfly


@phyllisc6781 wrote:

@gordyfl—I haven’t really thought about superdelegates in a while, but I am glad you brought them up. I have to agree with you. Given the inappropriateness of both Brazil and

Wassermen-Schultz, I feel Super Delegates should be laid to rest,  along with the electoral college.

 

One man, one voice, one vote. This would absolutely diminish the ability to manipulate a candidate or, in the case of electoral college, an election,  and is something of which we should make our reps. aware now and again when Dems take back control of our country.

Thanks Gordy!  And for what  it’s worth, Bernie Sanders would have been a just, moral, and extremely competent president.

 

Gee, I miss having a real president!


True, but so would Hillary and Bernie was NOT a viable option on election day. There's a grass-roots move to defang the Electoral College by changing State Constitutions to give the electoral votes to the winner of the NATIONAL popular vote, but its going nowhere so long as GOPers control Statehouses. So voting for the Dems at all levels is the only way to end the power of the Filabuster in this century. Greens will not do it, Nadar will not do it and obvously GOPers will never even consider it.

Honored Social Butterfly

"Note that the calls for a “purge” of the FBI and DOJ are becoming more explicit, actually using the word “purge” and moving from the right-wing publications to sitting members of Congress. A small part of this is simple partisanship, what threatens the leader of your political party is bad and needs to be attacked. But what we’re seeing goes far, far beyond that and can only be explained by the Republican right’s broader embrace of authoritarianism, which both predates Trump, accounts for his rise and has in turn been accelerated by his presidency. "

 

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/the-trump-true-gop

Honored Social Butterfly


@xrepub wrote:

"Note that the calls for a “purge” of the FBI and DOJ are becoming more explicit, actually using the word “purge” and moving from the right-wing publications to sitting members of Congress. A small part of this is simple partisanship, what threatens the leader of your political party is bad and needs to be attacked. But what we’re seeing goes far, far beyond that and can only be explained by the Republican right’s broader embrace of authoritarianism, which both predates Trump, accounts for his rise and has in turn been accelerated by his presidency. "

 

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/the-trump-true-gop


One side pushes for "impeachment" the other pushes for "purge" - which came first the chicken or the egg? (I actually know the answer to that one)

0 Kudos
1,071 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@rk9152 wrote:

@xrepub wrote:

"Note that the calls for a “purge” of the FBI and DOJ are becoming more explicit, actually using the word “purge” and moving from the right-wing publications to sitting members of Congress. A small part of this is simple partisanship, what threatens the leader of your political party is bad and needs to be attacked. But what we’re seeing goes far, far beyond that and can only be explained by the Republican right’s broader embrace of authoritarianism, which both predates Trump, accounts for his rise and has in turn been accelerated by his presidency. "

 

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/the-trump-true-gop


One side pushes for "impeachment" the other pushes for "purge" - which came first the chicken or the egg? (I actually know the answer to that one)


Provide the answer complete with fact based scientific proof that is of the kind of quality that is admissible as evidence in a Federal District Court or above.

 

That will be a first ever...

 

44>dolt45
Esteemed Social Butterfly

Purge—Makes sense—trump is afraid —and the more he deflects with ridiculous claims about the Russian Dossier, about which, with exception of the more salacious  parts, the broader assertion that Russia waged a campaign to interfere in the US elections has been accepted as fact by the US Intelligence Committee, and that, the vast majority of it has been corroborated (CNN).

 

His fragile ego can’t allow him to accept fact, he equates it with delegitimization of his presidency.

 

And so, he throws out statements about the Dossier being bogus and the DOJ and FBI being “tainted.”

If trump tries to “ purge” the FBI, it will be to his detriment.  He will be leaving himself wide open to impeachment—the sooner the better.  This country us a Democracy, not a dictatorship—trump has no place in a democratically run government.

 

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Honored Social Butterfly


@Olderscout66 wrote:

IF you have a well educated and accurately informed electorate, Democracy is EASY.

 

That's why Republicans have been waging War against Education and Truth for the past 50 years - they cannot survive in a "Democracy". They need a voter suppressed Gerrymander to succeed. That's what they've been building since Nixon launched the Southern Strategy back in 1967 and why every GOPerLord since has courted (and won) the lunitic fringe for their mindless support.

 

Der Trumper was elected with 26% of registered voters, specifically around 76,000 loons driven to the polls in 4 States by 200,000 craftily designed personal anti-Hillary ads placed on social media sites in the weeks before the election by Russian operatives.

 

All that was needed to stop him was for enough rational people who care about Americas real future to show up in those 4 swing states. But instead too many stayed home or wrote in Bernie because they felt slighted that their guy didn't get the nomination or because they'd bought the lie that there was no difference between the two major parties - just like the 74,000 Floridians who voted for Nader in 2000 and gave us jrbuish who gave us the worst economic disaster since the Great Depression (also caused by Republican tax cuts and deregulation) AND two endless Wars.

 

And so those high minded folks gave us Der Trumper - Thanks Hillary Haters.


Sounds like you are joining the pc elitists of the left - "Only 'we' are smart enough to make political decisions; 'they' are too stupid".

 

Sorta merges nicely with your "one Party", powerful central government concept.

Honored Social Butterfly

Political Tribalism

 

It used to be 1/3 of voters always voted Democrat and 1/3 always voted Republican. Those numbers are gradually changing. The number of voters who consider themselves Independent is growing. You may call them protest voters, or Hillary haters.

 

I think over 40% of eligible voters didn't vote in 2016. 

 

Honored Social Butterfly

The question is: Are you merely a fan of one of the parties, or are you a decent citizen?

Honored Social Butterfly

@xrepub  In your view, do I have to vote like you and think like you in order to be a decent citizen?

 

 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly


@Epster wrote:

@xrepub  In your view, do I have to vote like you and think like you in order to be a decent citizen?

 

 


Of course not.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a Democrat with a strong social liberal streak and a less liberal fiscal view. I will not laud liberals who do not think for themselves, and I do not applaud conservatives who do not think for themselves. I do not seek the destruction of the Republican party (I think them quite useful in keeping the Dems in line).

Honored Social Butterfly


@xrepub wrote:

@Epster wrote:

@xrepub  In your view, do I have to vote like you and think like you in order to be a decent citizen?

 

 


Of course not.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a Democrat with a strong social liberal streak and a less liberal fiscal view. I will not laud liberals who do not think for themselves, and I do not applaud conservatives who do not think for themselves. I do not seek the destruction of the Republican party (I think them quite useful in keeping the Dems in line).


Well put, xrepub. But I would add another element. Once the elections are over, we must unite as Americans. Those not happy with the outcome will always have another shot each two years.

Honored Social Butterfly


@rk9152 wrote:

@xrepub wrote:

@Epster wrote:

@xrepub  In your view, do I have to vote like you and think like you in order to be a decent citizen?

 

 


Of course not.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a Democrat with a strong social liberal streak and a less liberal fiscal view. I will not laud liberals who do not think for themselves, and I do not applaud conservatives who do not think for themselves. I do not seek the destruction of the Republican party (I think them quite useful in keeping the Dems in line).


Well put, xrepub. But I would add another element. Once the elections are over, we must unite as Americans. Those not happy with the outcome will always have another shot each two years.


Is there any reason that the example of republicans/conservatives during the Obama Administration should not be reciprocally applied towards trump et alia?

After all - it IS the example that republicans/conservatives set - why should it not be reciprocally applied in equal measure with equal "enthusiasm"?

Turnabout has always been fair play in politics.

 

44>dolt45
Honored Social Butterfly


@rk9152 wrote:


Once the elections are over, we must unite as Americans.

Americans have united before after hard fought elections.

 

After George W. and Barack were elected many Americans united and much was accomplished.

 

But this Ass of a President is different.

 

Say what you want about George W. and Barack but they both did one thing that the gutter dweller that's in the WHITE HOUSE now has not done.

 

THEY BOTH RESPECTED THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT AND THE OTHER INSTITUTIONS OF THIS GREAT NATION.

 

TRUMP IS MAKING OUR GOVERNMENT A REALITY SHOW.... OR, WORSE YET, A SLIDE SHOW, OR, WORSE EVEN YET, A MOCKERY..

 

The disrespect he has shown for our military institutions, our law enforcement institutions, the freedom of the press, speech, religion, and many other institutions that have made this country what it is today is beyond the pale.

 

Our ENEMIES don't even talk about us that way.

 

He makes the country look weak and confused.

 

He needs to step down before irreversible damage is done.

NO! IT'S CONSERVATIVES THAT ARE NUTTIER THAN SQUIRREL POOP!
Honored Social Butterfly

"

Say what you want about George W. and Barack but they both did one thing that the gutter dweller that's in the WHITE HOUSE now has not done.

 

THEY BOTH RESPECTED THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT AND THE OTHER INSTITUTIONS OF THIS GREAT NATION.

 

TRUMP IS MAKING OUR GOVERNMENT A REALITY SHOW.... OR, WORSE YET, A SLIDE SHOW, OR, WORSE EVEN YET, A MOCKERY.."

 

Legitimate criticism of our prez is a good thing. I am not sure why some cannot see that.

Honored Social Butterfly


@xrepub wrote:

"

Say what you want about George W. and Barack but they both did one thing that the gutter dweller that's in the WHITE HOUSE now has not done.

 

THEY BOTH RESPECTED THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT AND THE OTHER INSTITUTIONS OF THIS GREAT NATION.

 

TRUMP IS MAKING OUR GOVERNMENT A REALITY SHOW.... OR, WORSE YET, A SLIDE SHOW, OR, WORSE EVEN YET, A MOCKERY.."

 

Legitimate criticism of our prez is a good thing. I am not sure why some cannot see that.


Of course legitimate criticism is appropriate - always was, always has been. But massive demonstrations on Inauguration Day when he hadn[t done anything yet, the "Resistance" (joined by the losing candidate), "pussyhat" mob scenes, impeachment efforts from the get-go, etc. seem to go beyond "legitimate criticism".

0 Kudos
1,101 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@nctarheel wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:


Once the elections are over, we must unite as Americans.

Americans have united before after hard fought elections.

 

After George W. and Barack were elected many Americans united and much was accomplished.

 

But this Ass of a President is different.

 

Say what you want about George W. and Barack but they both did one thing that the gutter dweller that's in the WHITE HOUSE now has not done.

 

THEY BOTH RESPECTED THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT AND THE OTHER INSTITUTIONS OF THIS GREAT NATION.

 

TRUMP IS MAKING OUR GOVERNMENT A REALITY SHOW.... OR, WORSE YET, A SLIDE SHOW, OR, WORSE EVEN YET, A MOCKERY..

 

The disrespect he has shown for our military institutions, our law enforcement institutions, the freedom of the press, speech, religion, and many other institutions that have made this country what it is today is beyond the pale.

 

Our ENEMIES don't even talk about us that way.

 

He makes the country look weak and confused.

 

He needs to step down before irreversible damage is done.


 

 

After which previous election was a "Resistance" officially declared and joined publicly by the losing candidate?

 

The Dems made it clear that they were not simply going to offer an alternate agenda but were actually going to attempt to remove President Trump from office. Is that the basis of "work together"? Under those circumstances, was their any reason to say, "Come, let us reason together"?

0 Kudos
1,125 Views
3
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@rk9152 wrote:

 

After which previous election was a "Resistance" officially declared

 

 


I guess you forgot about the GOP PLEDGE to BLOCK OBAMA at any cost that was put in place immediately after Obama's election for his first term.

NO! IT'S CONSERVATIVES THAT ARE NUTTIER THAN SQUIRREL POOP!
Honored Social Butterfly


@nctarheel wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

 

After which previous election was a "Resistance" officially declared

 

 


I guess you forgot about the GOP PLEDGE to BLOCK OBAMA at any cost that was put in place immediately after Obama's election for his first term.


There is a vast difference between opposing policies and opposing Presidency.

Esteemed Social Butterfly

@nctarheel—It wasn’t forgotten NC, it has been discussed a multiplicity of times. It was simply ignored because It didn’t fit the lie.

 

Gee, I miss having a real president!

0 Kudos
1,115 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@rk9152 wrote:

@xrepub wrote:

@Epster wrote:

@xrepub  In your view, do I have to vote like you and think like you in order to be a decent citizen?

 

 


Of course not.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a Democrat with a strong social liberal streak and a less liberal fiscal view. I will not laud liberals who do not think for themselves, and I do not applaud conservatives who do not think for themselves. I do not seek the destruction of the Republican party (I think them quite useful in keeping the Dems in line).


Well put, xrepub. But I would add another element. Once the elections are over, we must unite as Americans. Those not happy with the outcome will always have another shot each two years.


True, but it is the total rejection of that spirit of Unity for the Common Good that is the hallmark of the neoRepublican Party - its why Republicans who TRY and work across the aisle are targeted by the Teabaggers and other Nazi elements for destruction in the primaries.

 

Take the latest tax scheme by the GOPers - Democrats weren't involved in a SINGLE MEETING to craft the abortion that is set to begin redistributiing TRILLIONS from the Middle Class to the very top of the 1%, this time those running our largest Corporations.

 

The money that SHOULD be used to maintain and improve the entire infrastructure that makes possible the existance of those corporations will now be used to buy back outstanding stock and enhance upper management bonuses - stock holders won't see an additional dime in dividends, but their stock (if it's not bought back) will see an increase in value as it becomes "more scarce" via tha buybacks.

 

The final package didn't even fill the promises made to Republicans who still had the decency to question the HUGE proportion of the benefits that are going to the very top of the 1% while things like CHIP and 34 Million American's health insurance is being put at extreme risk by the parasites the GOPers have made possible. Instead of trying to do good by the American 99%, Republicans opted to add huge tax loopholes that will make millions for a couple holdout Senators with their realestate holding exemptions.

 

Thanks again Hillary Haters - Any chance you are waking up to the absurdity of helping elect a nincompoop like Der Trumper and the gaggle of crypto-Nazis now running the Legislative Branch and Judiciary?

Honored Social Butterfly


@rk9152 wrote:

@xrepub wrote:

@Epster wrote:

@xrepub  In your view, do I have to vote like you and think like you in order to be a decent citizen?

 

 


Of course not.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a Democrat with a strong social liberal streak and a less liberal fiscal view. I will not laud liberals who do not think for themselves, and I do not applaud conservatives who do not think for themselves. I do not seek the destruction of the Republican party (I think them quite useful in keeping the Dems in line).


Well put, xrepub. But I would add another element. Once the elections are over, we must unite as Americans. Those not happy with the outcome will always have another shot each two years.


like your masters at Fox and friends, Hannity and Breitbart preach? for that matter POTUS? no division there. The new conservative party doesnt want cooperation. It wants submision. Thats not going to happen.

So it begins.
Honored Social Butterfly


@MIseker wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@xrepub wrote:

@Epster wrote:

@xrepub  In your view, do I have to vote like you and think like you in order to be a decent citizen?

 

 


Of course not.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a Democrat with a strong social liberal streak and a less liberal fiscal view. I will not laud liberals who do not think for themselves, and I do not applaud conservatives who do not think for themselves. I do not seek the destruction of the Republican party (I think them quite useful in keeping the Dems in line).


Well put, xrepub. But I would add another element. Once the elections are over, we must unite as Americans. Those not happy with the outcome will always have another shot each two years.


like your masters at Fox and friends, Hannity and Breitbart preach? for that matter POTUS? no division there. The new conservative party doesnt want cooperation. It wants submision. Thats not going to happen.


Does that mean that you disagree with what I posted or does it mean you are just in a non-Ho-Ho-Ho mood (as usual)?

0 Kudos
1,119 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@rk9152 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@xrepub wrote:

@Epster wrote:

@xrepub  In your view, do I have to vote like you and think like you in order to be a decent citizen?

 

 


Of course not.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a Democrat with a strong social liberal streak and a less liberal fiscal view. I will not laud liberals who do not think for themselves, and I do not applaud conservatives who do not think for themselves. I do not seek the destruction of the Republican party (I think them quite useful in keeping the Dems in line).


Well put, xrepub. But I would add another element. Once the elections are over, we must unite as Americans. Those not happy with the outcome will always have another shot each two years.


like your masters at Fox and friends, Hannity and Breitbart preach? for that matter POTUS? no division there. The new conservative party doesnt want cooperation. It wants submision. Thats not going to happen.


Does that mean that you disagree with what I posted or does it mean you are just in a non-Ho-Ho-Ho mood (as usual)?


Putin likes his fat mentally unstable ho - why shouldn't everyone?

 

44>dolt45
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png