Honored Social Butterfly

Deep State Leakers - Expose My Lai Massacre

I am a Vietnam Veteran and a Proud American Patriot...................................everytime I hear Extremists talk about - "US Government Information Leakers" - and how they are all Anti-American & Traitors........................it makes the hair on my neck stand-up..................mostly because they have no idea what they are talking about and mostly just trying to stir-up trouble...................

In my mind it's not as simple as - Anyone Who Divulges US Government Information is Anti-American

Context & Intent are relevant............................and not every occurence falls under one umbrella here is one example

1. In one of the most horrific incidents of violence against civilians during the Vietnam War, a company of American soldiers brutally killed the majority of the population of the South Vietnamese hamlet of My Lai in March 1968. Though exact numbers remain unconfirmed, it is believed that as many as 500 people including women, children and the elderly were killed in the My Lai Massacre..

Higher-ranking U.S. Army officers managed to cover up the events of that day for a year before revelations by a soldier who had heard of the massacre sparked a wave of international outrage and led to a special investigation into the matter.

2. The coverup continued until Ron Ridenhour, a soldier in the 11th Brigade who had heard reports of the massacre but had not participated, began a campaign to bring the events to light. After writing letters to President Richard Nixon, the Pentagon, State Department, Joint Chiefs of Staff and several congressmen, with no response

Ridenhour finally gave an interview to the investigative journalist Seymour Hersh, who broke the story in November 1969.

3. Amid the international uproar that followed Ridenhour’s revelations, the U.S. Army ordered a special investigation into the My Lai massacre and subsequent efforts to cover it up. The inquiry, headed by Lieutenant General William Peers, released its report in March 1970 and recommended that no fewer than 28 officers be charged for their involvement in covering up the massacre.

The Army would later charge only 14, including Calley, Captain Ernest Medina and Colonel Oran Henderson, with crimes related to the events at My Lai; all were acquitted except for Calley, who was found guilty of premeditated murder for ordering the shootings, despite his contention that he was only following orders from his commanding officer, Captain Medina.

In March 1971, Calley was given a life sentence for his role in directing the killings at My Lai. Many saw Calley as a scapegoat, and his sentence was reduced upon appeal to 20 years and later to 10; he was paroled in 1974.

The My Lai Massacre Incident - as with many of the other different Incidents - Extremists profer as examples of Crimes Against Their Country - in some feigned or misguided attempt to paint themselves as - Do Gooders....................

The My Lai Massacre was the Crime - not the Leaker.........................

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Honored Social Butterfly

Right you are mick - Whistle blowers keep alive American Ideals, which might be why the RW is so gungho about painting THEM as "traitors". I personally think Calley was just the lowest ranking officer they could stick with the blame and all those others you mentioned did aid and abet the massacure in thought word and deed. That said, My Lai is what happens when you put normal humans under combat stress for extended periods - the real shocker is it didn't happen more often in Vietnam, a War that never should've happened in the first place, and a great many of us KNEW that when we fought it.

Honored Social Butterfly

Growing up, I was told "America airs its dirty laundry", and that countries around the world admired that about us. 

The incident on Hill 192 - the kidnap, gang rape, and murder of Phan Thi Mao, a young Vietnamese woman on November 19, 1966 by an American squad during the Vietnam War.

PFC Robert M. Storeby initially reported the crime. At first, the chain of command, including the company commander, took no action.

Despite threats against his life by the soldiers who took part in the rape and murder, Storeby was determined to see the soldiers punished. His persistence in reporting the crime to higher authorities eventually resulted in general courts-martial against his four fellow squad mates. It was during these proceedings that the victim was identified by her sister as Phan Thi Mao.

Though news of the incident reached state-side shortly after the soldiers' trials, the story gained widespread notoriety through Daniel Lang's 1969 article for The New Yorker and a subsequent book.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1969/10/18/casualties-of-war

Honored Social Butterfly

In My Lai as with most other - Leaking Incidents - if the US Government was doing the Job the American people - hired/elected - them to do and in the way the US Constitution requires they do it - For The People - most of this Leaking would not be necessary

" )
" - Anonymous

Trusted Social Butterfly

@mickstuder wrote:

In My Lai as with most other - Leaking Incidents - if the US Government was doing the Job the American people - hired/elected - them to do and in the way the US Constitution requires they do it - For The People - most of this Leaking would not be necessary

So you know, mick....I am a proud Korean Veteran and consider myself an American Patriot as well. 

I wasn't drafted, I enlisted.  Sometime, perhaps in a more appropriate setting, I will tell you more of my family background if you are interested.  Some things I will not be able to share with you nor with anyone else.  There simply was no need for most to know then or now.  Thank you for your service in Viet Nam and for your service now to advance the well-being of the Nation you so obviously love. 

The moral and ethical standing of those who do not blindly support 'their' fatherland or motherland has always been an issue. Sometimes that issue is a real one as you well know.  Disclosure of some things will, in fact, put the Nation and all its citizens at risk.  Some things have to be disclosed for that Nation's continued well-being despite the displeasure of the current demagogue in office...and 'the donald' is not the first or the only one of those we've had. There will be disagreements about what is and is not in the best interests of the Nation in these cases.  

When we were kids Superman fought and stood for "Truth, Justice and the American Way".  I suspect we both thought that really was the way things should be.  Naieve or not, I still think that is the way things should be...I guess that lesson took.    

Honored Social Butterfly

@umbarch64 wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

So you know, mick....I am a proud Korean Veteran and consider myself an American Patriot as well. 

I wasn't drafted, I enlisted.  Sometime, perhaps in a more appropriate setting, I will tell you more of my family background if you are interested.  Some things I will not be able to share with you nor with anyone else.  There simply was no need for most to know then or now.  Thank you for your service in Viet Nam and for your service now to advance the well-being of the Nation you so obviously love. 

The moral and ethical standing of those who do not blindly support 'their' fatherland or motherland has always been an issue. Sometimes that issue is a real one as you well know.  Disclosure of some things will, in fact, put the Nation and all its citizens at risk.  Some things have to be disclosed for that Nation's continued well-being despite the displeasure of the current demagogue in office...and 'the donald' is not the first or the only one of those we've had. There will be disagreements about what is and is not in the best interests of the Nation in these cases.  

When we were kids Superman fought and stood for "Truth, Justice and the American Way".  I suspect we both thought that really was the way things should be.  Naieve or not, I still think that is the way things should be...I guess that lesson took.    

You raise a interesting point............................and Thank You for Your Service - Americans have no - Heroes - Super or Otherwise anymore...........................I suppose I should clarify that because I'm sure young American children still have heroes....................but the theme today is more Generic from what I know.................as a Child I remember the Grown-ups watching Lassie & Rin Tin Tin & The Lone Ranger, Rawhide & Bonanza with as much enthusiasm & interest as the children because it was about Americanism & helping those amongst us who were the weakest and most in need...........................Many Television & Movie Themes were based on American Pride & Patriotism.................................and more importantly American Morals Values and Principle - Truth & Justice used to be the American Way...............

Today we have a President who became a Hero to a small unrepresetative group - not becuase he projected a image every American could be proud of - but only because he was a American who had Money & Power and demonstrated how it could & should be used to bully others to succeed and at the expense of as many others as possible......................................

We've come along way since Rowdy Yates & Fort Apache - some including me would argue - sure in some cases there was some Stereotyping but I rationalize it today as being more out of Innocence & Ignorance then cruelty & fear of people who are different........................when we played Cowboys & Indians as Children there was never a shortage of volunteers to be the Indians and I was usually one of them................................

Today we have a President who wants himself to be known as the Worlds Biggest Liar & America to Stand for the Worlds Biggest Strongest Bully and especially to as many of it's own people as it takes to earn that title..............................and he's willing to demonstrate by example how ruthless he's capable of being - the GOP Healthcare Plan is one Illustration of his lack of reasonable limits........................

" )
" - Anonymous

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

That it has become necessary to have laws protecting "whistle blowers" from suffering acts of retribution from those they expose doing wrong - and that it is necessary for "Deep State Leakers" to exist is an indication of how internally corrupt government at all too many levels has become.  

The honest and honorable dare not speak out about the dishonesties they see being committed because they know they will suffer from acts of retrubution should they act in the public and nation's best interests and GASP! be honest, honorable and truthful and speak up about wrong doing they have witnessed.

44>dolt45
Honored Social Butterfly

The current gang whining about 'Deep State" are attempting to shut down any dissent of what is being done in DC by the Republicans.  

This is another of the steps via fear-mongering- that some bogus State Secrets are at high risks to their constitutents and threatening  freedom of the press.

It doesn't take much of a memory to remember all the hiding of the Torture Memo's and the steps taken by the Republicans via GWB / Cheney to denounce anyone who dared to speak out about said torture as terrorists.      I read one of the books that was originally approved by CIA / FBI and nothing was redacted.   Then after the leaking of information during the GWB era, the book was re-reviewed.   The author of the book printed the re-reviewed book and entire pages were blacked out.  

When the current regime trains it's followers to believe that anything that they don't want discussed is a lie / fake news, then they are well on their way to the historical shutting down the press or the more recent Turkey / Erdogan authoritarian regime elimination of newspapers, TV, radio, etc.   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png