AARP's caregiver resource center can help you navigate your role as a family caregiver. Try it today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Declassifying three Obama-era documents

Message 11 of 18

and Trump has obviously taken FULL advantage of that hasn't he Jim? What's he hiding??? The corruption in D.C. you mentioned? That's in the White House and his entire administration, I hate to break the news to you, LOL. " Draining the swamp". You have it backwards, he is FILLING THE SWAMP!!!! Lock him up!!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 18

@Tom5678 wrote:
"Transparency is the best medicine for all governments" you said Jim right? Well surely then, this MUST apply to the current occupant of the White House, yes???? So what about why he won't release any of his tax documentations then, right?? Every other President has except this one has, so lets be fair, shall we??

We have been over this at least ten times...  There is NO REQUIREMENT that any candidate provide their private tax returns in order to run for President..

If you don’t like the regulations have your lawmakers change it!  Why do you suppose that has never happened?

You guys are too funny!  

Mr President, let the light of transparency reveal the corruption in DC and let’s finish draining the swamp!!

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 18

Is this going to be another “all time controversial investigation” which will fall flat on it’s face, contrived by fox?

And haven’t these areas which have been hashed, rehashed, unhashed, and dishashed, over and over. 

Or just another diversion...over why trump isn’t transparent!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 18

I agree about transparency. We should be investigating the allegations in the Steele Dossier. We should be determining why Russian oligarchs have been cosigning Trump's loans. We should be looking into why the Saudis are packing Trump's DC hotel with veterans and running up huge bills which go into Trump's pockets.

All just to clear Trumps name, of course.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 18

LMAO!  Just more hypocrisy from the far-right.  How many people have been called to testify to Congress and trumpy has refused to allow them the opportunity?

Transparency?  LMAO!!!!

Vince Vaughn Laughing GIF

Is hypocrisy a Christian value?  I don't believe so.....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Declassifying three Obama-era documents

Message 16 of 18

Tom, your post is right on the money. Jim, and other Trump Lovers, have 2 standards. They have one for Hillary and Obama, and no standards for Trump. The current president surrounded himself with convicted felons, but you will never see a single cult member complain about that.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 18
"Transparency is the best medicine for all governments" you said Jim right? Well surely then, this MUST apply to the current occupant of the White House, yes???? So what about why he won't release any of his tax documentations then, right?? Every other President has except this one has, so lets be fair, shall we??
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

Declassifying three Obama-era documents

Message 18 of 18

Trump can change history by declassifying three Obama-era documents

BY:  John Solomon

My sources tell me President Trump is putting the finishing touches on a White House initiative to declassify documents that have remained hidden from the public for far too long.

This welcome effort to provide more public transparency and accountability almost certainly will focus early on the failings of the now-debunked Russia collusion probe. And I’m sure it will spread quickly toward other high-profile issues, such as the government’s UFO files that have been a focus of clamoring for decades.

But my reporting indicates three sets of documents from the Obama years should be declassified immediately, too, because they will fundamentally change the public’s understanding of history and identify ways to improve governance.

The first includes the national security assessments that the U.S. intelligence community conducted under President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton concerning the Russia nuclear giant Rosatom’s effort to acquire uranium business in the United States.

The Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) — made up of Secretary Clinton and eight other senior federal officials — approved Rosatom’s purchase of mining company Uranium One’s U.S. assets in fall 2010, even as the FBI was gathering evidence that the Russian company’s American arm was engaged in bribery, kickbacks and extortion.

Sources who have seen these classified assessments tell me they debunk the last administration’s storyline that there were no national security reasons to oppose Rosatom’s Uranium One purchase or Vladimir Putin’s successful efforts to secure billions of dollars in new nuclear fuel contractswith American utilities during the Obama years. 

“There were red flags raised, and the assessments expose other weaknesses in how CFIUS goes about these approval processes,” one knowledgeable source told me.

Under Obama, sensitive foreign acquisitions almost routinely were rubber-stamped by the CFIUS, and the approval process sometimes was delegated by Cabinet officials on the CFIUS to lower-ranking aides. 

Clinton, for example, claims she allowed a deputy to decide the Uranium One purchase, even as her family foundation collected millions in donations from parties interested in the transaction and her husband, former President Bill Clinton, collected a $500,000 speech fee from Moscow.

Since Trump took office and Steve Mnuchin took over as Treasury secretary, laudable legislative and administrative changes have been designed to tighten up the CFIUS process, and the percentage of rejected foreign acquisitions has increased because of more aggressive national security vetting.

But sources say the release of the Rosatom intelligence assessments would identify additional steps that can improve the process and finally would give Americans a complete picture of what happened during one of the most politically controversial CFIUS decisions in history.

A second body of documents crying out for declassification is Obama’s private correspondence with Iranian leaders — in particular, the Oct. 7, 2014, cable he penned to Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, setting the terms for the controversial Washington-Tehran nuclear deal reached in early 2016.

My sources tell me that letter conflicts with what the Obama administration was telling the American public as it tried to sell the deal politically, and it shows a level of courtship, concession and trust with Tehran that exceeded the U.S. intelligence assessments at the time.

For example, my sources tell me that Obama promised Iran it could have a “domestic enrichment capacity” and that Tehran could be restored to a nation “in good standing” under the world’s nuclear non-proliferation treaty, even though U.S. intelligence had corroborated an extensive weapons program that violated that treaty for years.

The 2014 letter was preceded by at least three other private communications between Obama and officials in Tehran, including two in 2009 and one in 2012. All need to be declassified and released for Americans to better understand the merits of Obama’s approach with Iran. 

Trump since has canceled the 2016 deal with Iran and imposed crippling new sanctions. But the true circumstances, promises and communications that led to the deal remain secret. The American public has much to gain from more transparency on this critical issue affecting world peace. 

The final Obama-era tranche that requires declassification concerns Hillary Clinton’s email controversy — a highly classified set of documents that FBI agents identified as important and necessary in the investigation into whether she violated the law by transmitting classified emails on her unsecured private server. 

As I wrote last week, the agents never got to review those documents in 2016 before then-FBI Director James Comey unilaterally decided not to seek criminal charges against Mrs. Clinton.

The Justice Department’s internal watchdog in 2018 provided Congress a classified annex explaining how the FBI intended to examine that secret evidence, but never did. Sources who have seen the annex say it contains explosive revelations about what really happened with Clinton’s emails and the national security concerns that her conduct raised.

Uranium One, the Iran deal, Clinton’s emails — all have dominated headlines for many years without a full public accounting.

Trump has an unprecedented opportunity to close the loop on these controversies and to give Americans more transparency and visibility into what happened, as well as how we can make government better when national security is at stake. 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Transparency is the best medicine for all governments...  Go for it Mr. President!!

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion: