Honored Social Butterfly

Danger: Covid-19 Mutation

Remember when Trump said he had the Virus "Under Tremendous Control" in March? Then he said everything should start returning to normal by Easter and one comment after another that was idiotic. Of course in Trump World, he's never wrong. Check out the following research which just came out.

Researchers in Florida say they believe they've demonstrated the new corona virus has mutated in a way that makes it more easily infect human cells.

They say more research is needed to show whether the change has altered the course of the pandemic, but at least one researcher not involved in the study says it likely has, and the changes may explain why the virus has caused so many infections in the United States and Latin America.

It's a mutation that scientists have been worried about for weeks.

The researchers at the Scripps Research Institute in Florida said the mutation affects the spike protein, a structure on the outside of the virus that it uses to get into cells. If the findings are confirmed, it would be the first time someone has demonstrated that changes seen in the virus have significance for the pandemic.

"Viruses with this mutation were much more infectious than those without the mutation in the cell culture system we used," Scripps Research virologist Hyeryun

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/12/health/coronavirus-mutations-scripps-gene/index.html

Honored Social Butterfly

But Trump said he had the virus under "TOTAL CONTROL".

Honored Social Butterfly

Stay strong, @ChasKy53 

Honored Social Butterfly

Maybe there will be another Covid-19 Mutation during Trump's political rally?

Honored Social Butterfly

this is a fear I had, unfortunately. What really concerns me is the upcoming flu season. I think a flu vaccine will be helpful but how much will have to wait and see. Meanwhile I just saw a news item where Tulsa officials are urging caution regarding the upcoming rallies.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tulsa-health-officials-gatherings-donald-trump-rally_n_5ee4c1a6c5b60d...

All Trump cares about is being re elected, and nothing else, and it shows, especially in his non handling of the pandemic.
Honored Social Butterfly

@Tom5678  as is proven over and over, as you state, trump only cares about himself, that will not be changing. And he certainly has not made a real effort to contain the virus...now, many others are and will be paying for his incompetence!

@ChasKy53 keep up the good fight, we’re rooting for you and hope that the new treatment will produce positive results for you. 

Honored Social Butterfly

They learned very quickly after the virus was discovered that it was mutating rapidly. I read an article close to two months ago by a research biologist that said he thought there were already 16 different strains of the virus.

I have a cancer that mutates once it is exposed to any certain chemo drug, rendering itself immune to it. I have had three different chemo treatments and two stem cell transplants so far. My next treatment is a monoclonal protein which will attach to a cancerous cell and mark it so my immune system kills it. The cancer will then mutate again so that it doesn't excrete a chemical that the mono-protein recognizes, rendering it useless. Thank goodness another treatment is in development already.  I sure hope that Covid-19 doesn't end up being the same way. 

We could be at the tip of the iceberg realizing the severity of this virus. These mutations could increase the difficulty of developing a viable vaccination. One scientist has said that the ride we are on with Covid could last up to nine years.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

I have a cancer that mutates once it is exposed to any certain chemo drug, rendering itself immune to it. I have had three different chemo treatments and two stem cell transplants so far. My next treatment is a monoclonal protein which will attach to a cancerous cell and mark it so my immune system kills it. The cancer will then mutate again so that it doesn't excrete a chemical that the mono-protein recognizes, rendering it useless. Thank goodness another treatment is in development already.  I sure hope that Covid-19 doesn't end up being the same way. 

Be well my friend and God speed!  🙏

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

ChasKy:  I have a cancer that mutates once it is exposed to any certain chemo drug, rendering itself immune to it. I have had three different chemo treatments and two stem cell transplants so far. My next treatment is a monoclonal protein which will attach to a cancerous cell and mark it so my immune system kills it. The cancer will then mutate again so that it doesn't excrete a chemical that the mono-protein recognizes, rendering it useless.

Good luck to you ChasKy. Something like this puts most problems in their proper perspective.

Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53  - I'm sorry to hear about your cancer. I wish you the best with your ongoing treatments.

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
Honored Social Butterfly

MaVolta is absolutely correct. Unlike Trump's pronouncement of having the virus under tremendous control, smart people realize there's so much about this virus we don 't understand. Anyone who proclaims victory over the virus at this point in time, may wind up on the wrong side of the equation. 

Many scientists are predicting a 2nd wave later this summer or in the fall.. And now, this preliminary research on the mutation adds a new element to the mix and I find it very scary for our country.

As of June 12th, the U.S. has 114,669 Covid-19 related deaths.

Honored Social Butterfly

@CriticalThinking  - Thank you for posting the article. I believe that scientists have much more to learn and discover about this virus. It is hard to understand how some young, healthy people are so severely affected and / or die, while others may have the virus and never know it, or may experience very light symptoms. It's a very strange disease.

I can understand the need to press forward for a vaccine, but I am also concerned that it will be rushed out too quickly, without being fully vetted. I don't plan to be among the first in line to get a vaccine if it does come out later this year. It's easier to stay home a while longer and see how it works with the general population. There are several manufacturers working on vaccines, and a later one might prove to be more safe and effective. If the virus is mutating, then the first vaccine may not work at all. We've seen that with various strains of influenza. 

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
Honored Social Butterfly

RW will go into full denial - they don't accept science / research.   

Meanwhile back in the world of Reality:

China is shutting down some areas in Beijing with fear of 2nd Wave.   

Brazil is quickly moving to take second spot as their donald wannabee remains in denial and tells his followers to break into hospitals and see if patients are really being treated.  

US continues on its upward trajectory as donald et al are slobbering all over themselves about the number of people who bought tickets to the Tulsa gathering.    No word on what they are going to do about over-flow - aka social distancing etc.

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png