Kudos
Views

Re: Danes Requiring Christianity Classes To Combat Islamic Terrorism

Message 1 of 38

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Forget you obsession with Nazis and Kluxers - do you think it is a good idea for new arrivals to receive the necessary training to permit them to assimilate?

No. Of course not. We need them for their diversity and to help us evolve as a society. They usually gravitate toward communities of their own anyway.  This is why  America does not have an official language. Because there are so many options and so much variety. It is one of the things which makes us great. Certainly not that 1959 TV sitcom driven image that Trump wants to propagate. 

'Evolve" to what? Are you suffering from "American guilt" as well as "white guilt". They are coming here. That should lead one to believe that they like what we are.

I don't care if they "like what they are". I want them to add diversity of ideas, customs, food, songs, work processes, and all the other ways the diverse cultures and languages which exist in America have contributed to our social and economic success.   Only an idiot would try to standardize immigrants so as to lose one of the biggest values they provide America. Diversity. 

Please note the pronoun in your quote and my words.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 38
anyway, the topic article is fake news. It sould e easy to prove me wrong.

i dont see much wrong with voluntary assimilation classes..but you know that would be left to a right wing private corporation.
So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 38

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I scoured mainstream papers, including Danish ones, and couldn't find any reference to this at all.  Many references to Danish bigotry, though.  Like banning niqab even though only about 40 women wear it.  Not that I'm a fan of niqab.  It has no basis in religion.  But I'm also not a fan of far-reaching laws to address non-existent problems. 

Denmark always has and still does teach Christian studies in its schools.

It's laughable that anyone thinks Muslims don't know what Easter and Christmas are.   Obviously written by someone who has no understanding of what it means to be a minority. 

Happy Eid, by the way.   Smiley Very Happy   I'm off to go hike and work off some of this maamoul that I enjoyed last night. 

yup. I googled the topic thread. the info is only on a few right wing sites.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 38

@Olderscout66 wrote:

My Great-great-great-Grandpa on momma's side was a "Dreamer" - brought here as a child, same with my Great Great Grandpa on Dad's side. Nobody ever suggested they needed to "go back home" and start over, there was no problem getting citizenship, and they became productive members of the society without any need for special Religeous instruction.

Only difference I can see between my family's "Dreamers" and today's version is mine were about as white as you can get.

There were not that many immigration laws back then.  Some of my ancestors were driven from their homes by Europeans.  Some were brought over as indentured servants...they became landowners after serving the required indentured time.  If they were 'dreamers' they arrived legally in that time period.  There is no comparison.

And depending where they settled, immigrants not only assimulated to our customs and learned the language, but introduced those of their own. 

Our immigration laws were enacted by both Democratic and Republican administrations.

“Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”. . . FDR
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 38

All of my ancestors arrived here before there were any immigration laws - first ones came decades before the Revolution, last got here decades before the Civil War.

ALL of them settled among other immigrants from their home country.

NONE of them tried to keep their kids speaking German or Norwegian, and in a generation they had modified their diets and "traditions" to be "more American" (thanks be to God, NO LUTEFISK after 1850).

My observation is that if Republicans want immigrants to become "more American", they should stop treating them as if they're NOT American.

My Great-great-great-Grandpa on momma's side was a "Dreamer" - brought here as a child, same with my Great Great Grandpa on Dad's side. Nobody ever suggested they needed to "go back home" and start over, there was no problem getting citizenship, and they became productive members of the society without any need for special Religeous instruction.

Only difference I can see between my family's "Dreamers" and today's version is mine were about as white as you can get.

Seems a bit tragic Republicans still want to make that pigmentation thingie the deciding factor nearly 200 years later. That's not being a slow learner, that's failure to evolve.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 38

Authentic protrayal of the culture was a high priority when The History Channel produced the "Vikings" series. It portrayed the "Blood Eagle" ritual and others.  That doesn't mean they actually happened as portrayed, but likely did.  The Viking Saga[s] tell stories reflecting history, often accurately, often embellished to create a lasting impression on those who listened to the 'story tellers'.  There is even a 'creation fable'.  The Bible has one too.  Most religions do.

Significantly, the 'Blood Eagle' ritual seems to have been a punishment for failures and misdeeds, betrayals by the 'leader' relative to the People especially those having to do with 'fair' and 'justice'.  It exacted absolute responsibility from those undergoing the ritual.  At the same time it recognized their contribution and role in the community.  Successful completion meant the 'leader' could pass into the afterlife with honor as was due an honorable warrior who died on the battlefield.  We have no counterpart to that although some would argue we should.

A 'leader', perhaps a 'royal', successfully undergoing the 'blood eagle' displayed great courage and was due great honor.  It may even have been viewed as a 'right'.  It came with conditions. A two way street, I suppose.  Scandanavians seem to understand that better than most others. I've met some who simply 'don't get it'.  I've heard the ancients described as a bunch of tough nuts with principles.  Honor was a big deal with Scandanavians...then and now.

Many of those principles survived and became foundations for a host of countries...the Vikings did get around and they didn't just 'kill people'.  They were traders, they settled and they influenced greatly.  Do a little research using credible sources.  It's interesting.

Iceland, for example,  still operates under the oldest democratic parliamentary system on earth...the althing.  It dates to the 900s or thereabouts.  Women were powerful in Viking society...pretty much men's equals, just in a different way.  The keepers of the home, keepers of wealth, with authority to do just that.  Christianity significantly affected that when it became prevalent.  So, ladies, considering the way women seem to be viewed by a current segment of our society, perhaps you may have been better off way back then.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 38

@rk9152 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Will these classes on Christian traditions be held in the "no-go zones" GOPers think exist, or is there an actual place?

Without the "I'm in a bad mood again" comments about GOPers, what do you think about requiring new arrivals to understand the culture so they can assimilate?

If we gave that type of course on American values, etc. to the far right  they would all fail, and we could get rid of them and save the country. Lets start tomorrow with all far right Reb. attending. We could all supply the names of some far right Reb, then they could round them up and put them in the camps they are putting the poor kids in.

Let's see - you can offer gobbly-**bleep** in response to a post of mine responding to scout, but I (according to your strange rules) cannot point out the gobbly-**bleep**. 

Truly strange.

You said bye bye to me and that means you did not want to post to me and I will enforce your wish.

I tend to respond to posts addressed to me. A character fault by your standards I suppose.

You said bye bye so that is it. You do not understand what bye bye means so add that to the list of items you do not understand.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 38

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Will these classes on Christian traditions be held in the "no-go zones" GOPers think exist, or is there an actual place?

Without the "I'm in a bad mood again" comments about GOPers, what do you think about requiring new arrivals to understand the culture so they can assimilate?

I think that is not a bad idea...sounds a little like civics in a way, with a little bit of comparative religious education thrown in.  Kind of like it 'usta be'.  I do take issue with the idea that we 'require' them to 'understand' the culture...I doubt that works, or ever would work, with zealotry.  Maybe we could find some way for them to simply say, 'this is MY country now'. ..and mean it.   If they or their ancestors came of their own free will, they just might do it willingly...and mean that too.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 38

@rk9152 wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Forget you obsession with Nazis and Kluxers - do you think it is a good idea for new arrivals to receive the necessary training to permit them to assimilate?

So does that mean you align your philosophy with the media site, PATRIOTICVIRALNEWS?

What kind of training are you proposing for those entering the United States?

Please be specific.

I did not offer a curriculum. I simply asked whether or not training to assist in assimilation was a good idea. Your view????

Completely unnecessary.

Classes and education for Citizenship already more than adequately do that.

Has the unpatriotic and unconstitutional stench of brainwashing and pre-selection based upon bigoted prejudicial standards that, no patriotic American Citizen would ever countenance - but every trumpling scumbag would approve of...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 38

I can see classes on Christianity warning pre-pubescent boys about being alone with Catholic priests. 

We could warn them of Christian businesses which will not serve gays or immigrants. 

We could show how 80%  of White Evangelicals voted for pedophile Roy Moore. 

We could show Christian protesters scaring defenseless women who are trying to exercise their right to an abortion and then the lack of protesters around fertility clinics which throw away hundreds of fertilized eggs a day. 

Yes, I think we do need to start educating EVERYONE on Christianity and its dangers to society and our people. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.

Top Authors