Can blue light from your phone cause vision problems? Find out and learn more about your vision in the AARP Eye Center.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Danes Fighting for ISIS Paid Welfare Benefits!

Message 1 of 1

I'm as politically liberal as the next guy but found this NY Times story very disturbing.  Had been to Denmark just once and loved their civil and friendly manner.  Frankly, to me, their society came across as superior to ours (but granted it was a brief visit).  I hate to see any European country lose their identity due the refugee crisis but don't know what's the humanitarian answer.  However being hoodwinked by ISIS fighters into paying welfare to them is so beyond the pale.  

Here's an excerpt from the story:

• "The Danish government has been inadvertently paying benefits to citizens fighting for the Islamic State in Syria, Danish officials said Tuesday, as outrage grows that militants are manipulating the country’s generous welfare system.

About 145 Danes have traveled to Syria or Iraq to fight for militant groups since 2012, according to the Danish security and intelligence services.

Officials said this week that they had identified a number of Danish citizens who, while receiving government disability pensions, had traveled to Syria to join the Islamic State, also known as ISIS.

“It is a huge scandal that we are paying out money from the welfare funds in Denmark to people who are going to Syria and elsewhere in the world to undermine democracy that we have been fighting for for hundreds of years,” the country’s minister of labor, Troels Lund Poulsen, said."

more at: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/21/world/europe/danes-fighting-for-isis-were-paid-welfare-benefits-g...

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors