Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: DOW FALLS 1500 PTS - TRUMP BUMP

Message 11 of 37

I got involved with the TSP when it started and it worked out very well for me. I can't imagine why this thing shouldn't.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 37

I wonder how many soldiers have put their pensions in the stock market.

The year ahead will prompt many of today's 1.3 million active-duty service members to make a big decision about their retirement benefits: whether to preserve their place in the traditional military pension system or opt into a new "blended" benefits package.

Troops can start doing their research this year, but those who are eligible to make a choice have a full year before they can opt in to the new plan. That window will last from Jan. 1, 2018, through Dec. 31, 2018.

Everyone who joins the military on or after Jan. 1, 2018, will be automatically enrolled in the new plan.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2016/12/31/new-in-2017-huge-changes-ahead-for-milit...

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 37

I was curious and checked the PreMarket Trading. As of 7:30 AM Tuesday the Dow was down 290 points.

At 7:40 AM Dow down only 71 points. Feels like Las Vegas...

http://money.cnn.com/data/premarket/

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 37

@phyllisc6781 wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

The market dropped over 600 points Friday and today it dropped almost 1,200 points. I'll do the calculations for Trump Cult members, that's about an 1,800 point drop in two consecutive sessions.That's as bad as it gets.

The stock market free fall is a perfect example of why Trump bragging about the stock market the past couple of weeks was hardly a smart idea for a president. As most of us have learned over time, the market can change direction in a heartbeat.

Why is the DOW falling rapidly? The market is looking at some of the following factors:

• Surging National Deficit (GOP Tax Plan)
  • They announced today the govt. needs to borrow another 1 Trillion Dollars. Wow!
  • Possible government closing February 8th
  • Investors around the world may be losing confidence in the U.S. and Donald Trump
  • Higher interest rates
  • etc.

How will Trump Cult members react? No doubt about it. When the market was rising, they gave credit to their idol and hero in the White House. Now that the market's in a free fall, they'll do what they always do, they'll blame President Obama.

Hey CT! This is exactly why most presidents don’t hitch their wagons to the stock market, which by nature is much more volitile than the economy. Yup, most presidents don’t do this—but then again ALL PRESIDENTS in the past have been much smarter than the buffoon in the WH.

Gee, I miss having a real president!

I just read it is the biggest point drop since 2011 at the height of the european debt crises.  Trump needs to own that, and so does everyone else. most of the value that was lost isnt really * lost*. its in a few fatcats pockets. 

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 37

@easyed598 wrote:

Mand wrote-Best go low risk investment with a high risk White House.

Markets hate instability and what we have at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. is just that.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Suit yourself-isn`t that what Paul Krugman said about 13 months ago? I would think more jobs,more money in taxpayer`s pocket and higher gdp  gives the economy more confidence. Of course if those that are happy with getting  .75 % / year on their money market account should stick with it.

lol , no. what makes the stock market move is stocks driving their own prices up. labor is no longer an asset, it a liability. it has nothing to do with the little guy.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 37

@phyllisc6781 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:
profit taking here too.
Plan is to pull all of the yearly profits and spend it on property improvement.

I know you will do what you will do. But pulling funds now is not well advised. I spoke with my financial consultant (Raymond James) this morning, and he said we are in the middle of a market correction, and feels that within two weeks the market will restabilize.

He also called to my attention that the market is still up 2% for the year. This correction has been a long time in coming – – there has been a bubble, which anyone who is been paying attention has noted, and with a little bit of inflation thrown in, Wall Street reacts.

What I plan to do is move my investments from medium to low risk. 

Good luck to you with whatever path you choose to take.

I agree, thats what my advisor said last week. We have been talking about te cost of storm dmage for over a year, and she said i i was going to act this year, grab it while its on a false high. If it wasnt for this unplaned expenditure, i would be doing what both of our advisors said. either nothing our duck for a while.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 37

@phyllisc6781 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:
profit taking here too.
Plan is to pull all of the yearly profits and spend it on property improvement.

Not well advised. Called my very reputable broker today who said we are in the middle of predicted correction—his advice—sit tight!

The market has been due for a correction. It happens about once every 10 years. There has been a bubble there which has been apparent to many, and a correction is necessary.  Overall, the market is still up 2% for this year, and that’s pretty good. 

What I intend to do is have my financial consultant move my invest notes from medium risk to low-risk. 

already done..profits from the last year pulled out..i seriously may need to spend 80k to clean up downed trees on my property..im no longer able to do it. what i had in a year ago will stay pat for the next week..kinda feeling it out a bit. if it looks bad everything goes to low risk. The famil estate and trust took a bath in 07-08, my Dad was too sick to move it, and he didnt sign to over to me in time. Thats fine..it was his. Im not poor, im tight. this empire is built by factory workers and civil servants. 

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 37

@CriticalThinking wrote:

The market dropped over 600 points Friday and today it dropped almost 1,200 points. I'll do the calculations for Trump Cult members, that's about an 1,800 point drop in two consecutive sessions.That's as bad as it gets.

The stock market free fall is a perfect example of why Trump bragging about the stock market the past couple of weeks was hardly a smart idea for a president. As most of us have learned over time, the market can change direction in a heartbeat.

Why is the DOW falling rapidly? The market is looking at some of the following factors:

• They announced today the govt. needs to borrow another 1 Trillion Dollars. Wow!
  • Investors around the world may be losing confidence in the U.S. and Donald Trump
  • Higher interest rates
  • etc.

How will Trump Cult members react? No doubt about it. When the market was rising, they gave credit to their idol and hero in the White House. Now that the market's in a free fall, they'll do what they always do, they'll blame President Obama.

Hey CT! This is exactly why most presidents don’t hitch their wagons to the stock market, which by nature is much more volitile than the economy. Yup, most presidents don’t do this—but then again ALL PRESIDENTS in the past have been much smarter than the buffoon in the WH.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

DOW FALLS 1500 PTS - TRUMP BUMP

Message 19 of 37

• Higher interest rates
  • etc.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 37

@Richva wrote:

@easyed598 wrote:

Mand wrote-Best go low risk investment with a high risk White House.

Markets hate instability and what we have at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. is just that.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Suit yourself-isn`t that what Paul Krugman said about 13 months ago? I would think more jobs,more money in taxpayer`s pocket and higher gdp  gives the economy more confidence. Of course if those that are happy with getting  .75 % / year on their money market account should stick with it.

Well, looks like the Obama market has finally ended and we are now seeing the market's reaction to the Trump administration. 

Over the last 12 months, the stock market has grown20%. What Republicans did wrong was throw kerosene On to an already strong economy, causing inflation. This may well come  back to bite them in the midterms because if it really is “the economy stupid,” Republicans are going to get exactly what they deserve,  and that will be they will not have a job after the November election. 

Now that’s a pleasant thought to hold on to!!

Kudos
Views