Are Communities Becoming More Livable? How Does Your Community Stack Up in AARP's New 2018 Livability Index. Find Out Now!

Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly

Re: DOJ’s Defying Hill Subpoenas Undermines Public Trust

Message 1 of 18

jimc91:   I must have confused you with someone else that was interested in having a discussion about the publics'  trust in our system of government.

My opinion about public trust in our system of government? I feel just about exactly the same as I did before Trump was elected. While not perfect, I don't want any other system of government. Thankfully, I haven't been indoctrinated to think the FBI, DOJ etc are corrupt and trying to oust Trump. They're doing what they have always done, and they usually do it very well.

But I can see why you think as you do considering the news sources you choose to consume. I also see the smear campaign (Coordinated between Nunes & co and the WH) being conducted to discredit and undermine anyone involved in investigating Trump.

Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 18

@CriticalThinking wrote:

In normal times, I would agree with most of what Jim wrote. However, these are not normal times. We have a House Investigation Panel which has proven beyond a doubt, getting to the truth is not their goal. Devon Nunes and company have two goals.

1. Get as much info about Mueller's investigation as they can so Nunes can run over to the White House again and give it to his daddy.

2. Undermine and/or block the Mueller investigation.

They are not exercising Congressional oversight, which is a legitimate function of Congress, they are obstructing justice.

I will accept your above comment as "Your Opinion"...  I disagree with the premise that Nunes' Daddy is involved in Congress' oversight responsibilities.

Since Mueller reports to Rosenstein and he is part of DOJ does the Congress still have oversight responsibility for the DOJ.  Our elected Congress has the ultimate responsibility to the Citizens to ensure our DOJ operate without bias in its enforcement responsibilities.

Possible abuse of power on the part of DOJ/FBI has been identified and is being investigated, evidenced by the IG investigation into how they conducted themselves during the Clinton email scandal.  That alone has created much suspicion within the public and has damaged the reputations of both agencies.  

I would submit that one way to address this problem is to make all these documents public.  Public confidence in the DOJ/FBI is important to our system of government.  

Would you agree that public disclosure of the documents requested would be in the best interest of the country?  If not, why?

VIMTSTL
Trusted Social Butterfly

DOJ’s Defying Hill Subpoenas Undermines Public Trust

Message 3 of 18

In normal times, I would agree with most of what Jim wrote. However, these are not normal times. We have a House Investigation Panel which has proven beyond a doubt, getting to the truth is not their goal. Devon Nunes and company have two goals.

1. Get as much info about Mueller's investigation as they can so Nunes can run over to the White House again and give it to his daddy.

2. Undermine and/or block the Mueller investigation.

They are not exercising Congressional oversight, which is a legitimate function of Congress, they are obstructing justice.

Message 4 of 18

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Jim said, "Please feel free to join the conversation about public trust and how the DOJ is affecting it in your opinion..."

I did join the conversation, but he doesn't like my opinions. Intefering with a criminal investigation is not oversight, it borders on obstruction of justice. 

Therefore, if you care about the public trust, allow our law enforcement agencies the opportunity to do their job and conduct a criminal investigation in secret. That's how they're supposed to operate. 

I don't share your opinion and here is why...

The DOJ was created by the Congress and because of that it answers to the Congress.  The Congress is elected by the people and is charged with writing the laws that govern the people and the politicians.

The people within DOJ or the FBI are to be nonpartisan employees that have the job of enforcing the laws that are written by the Congress.  When the Congress suspects there is abuse of power taking place within the DOJ or FBI the people that elected them expect them to find it and fix it.

You keep saying the Congress is interfering with an investigation.  Since the Congress has oversight over the DOJ their investigation is a valid part of that oversight responsibility.  How is Congress asking for certain documents that are important to their investigation, interfering or in you words obstruction?

Awaiting civil discussion.

VIMTSTL
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 18

@jimc91 wrote:

@nctarheel please feel free to join the conversation on the actual topic.  Enjoy your day...

Why would one want to join the conversation on the ACTUAL TOPIC when the ACTUAL TOPIC has been published by a media outlet well known as a CONSPIRACY THEORY website.

In other words, why would someone want to join the conversation on the ACTUAL TOPIC when the ACTUAL TOPIC isn't ACTUAL at all.

This website published stories about Bill and Hillary being murderers. They published stories about rigged voting machines. These and other phony stories go on and on and on.

They, of course, at some point, had to retract these stories.

But, @jimc91, you need to realize that this type of media outlet, as the source, makes any article disingenuous.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 18

Jim said, "Please feel free to join the conversation about public trust and how the DOJ is affecting it in your opinion..."

I did join the conversation, but he doesn't like my opinions. Intefering with a criminal investigation is not oversight, it borders on obstruction of justice. 

Therefore, if you care about the public trust, allow our law enforcement agencies the opportunity to do their job and conduct a criminal investigation in secret. That's how they're supposed to operate. 

Message 7 of 18

@CriticalThinking Please feel free to join the conversation about public trust and how the DOJ is affecting it in your opinion...

VIMTSTL

Message 8 of 18

@Panjandrom wrote:

jimc91:

@Panjandrom, so does that mean you disagree with what McCarthy said in his above comment or would you accept it as valid?

I agree with him.

I have nothing but contempt for anything put out by sources such as Lifezette. Use a credible source and I'll take it seriously.

Do accept my apology.

I must have confused you with someone else that was interested in having a discussion about the publics'  trust in our system of government.

Enjoy your day.

VIMTSTL
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 18

PanJ is asking a cult member to use a real news outlet. She said, "Use a credible source and I'll take it seriously."

Come on PanJ, we know Trump's supporters perceive real news as fake news and the pathological LIES coming out of the White House as real news. 

Hey PanJ, why are they so worried about the credibility of the Justice Department when they NEVER complain about Trump's non-stop lying?

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 18

jimc91:

@Panjandrom, so does that mean you disagree with what McCarthy said in his above comment or would you accept it as valid?

I agree with him.

I have nothing but contempt for anything put out by sources such as Lifezette. Use a credible source and I'll take it seriously.