Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

DNI Confirms Outbreak Result of Accident at Wuhan Lab

Intel boss confirms investigation into whether coronavirus outbreak the ‘result of an accident’ at Wuhan lab

 

The Office of the Director of National Intelligence confirmed on-record for the first time Thursday that the U.S. intelligence community is investigating whether the coronavirus outbreak, which has wreaked havoc across the globe, started as the result of an accident at a laboratory in Wuhan, China.

 

“The entire Intelligence Community has been consistently providing critical support to U.S. policymakers and those responding to the COVID-19 virus, which originated in China. The Intelligence Community also concurs with the wide scientific consensus that the COVID-19 virus was not manmade or genetically modified,” a statement from the office of acting Director of National Intelligence Richard Grenell said.

 

“As we do in all crises, the Community’s experts respond by surging resources and producing critical intelligence on issues vital to U.S. national security. The IC will continue to rigorously examine emerging information and intelligence to determine whether the outbreak began through contact with infected animals or if it was the result of an accident at a laboratory in Wuhan,” the statement said.

Fox News first reported earlier this month that there is increasing confidence that the outbreak likely escaped from the lab, not as a bioweapon but as part of a Chinese effort to show that its efforts to identify and combat viruses are equal or greater than those of the U.S. This would be at odds with claims the outbreak originated at a wet market nearby.

 

Fox News also reported previously that a full-scale investigation was underway, with intelligence operatives said to be gathering information about the laboratory and the initial outbreak of the virus. Intelligence analysts are piecing together a timeline of what the government knew and “creating an accurate picture of what happened,” sources said.

 

Once that investigation is complete -- something that is expected to happen in the near-term -- the findings will be presented to the Trump administration. At that point, White House policymakers and President Trump will use the findings to determine how to hold the country accountable for the pandemic.

 

Senior intelligence sources told Fox News that as of now, the investigation may continue for days, weeks or even months. They add there are very stringent requirements in place that must be met before investigators can present their findings to the Trump administration with confidence.

 


The ODNI statement was the first on-record comment from the office confirming the probe.

 

U.S. officials and the intelligence community have confirmed to Fox News that they have taken the possibility of the coronavirus being man-made or engineered inside China as some sort of bioweapon off the table and have ruled it out at this point.

 

Sources point to the structure of the virus, in saying the genome mapping specifically shows it was not genetically altered. The sources believe the initial transmission of the virus was a naturally occurring strain that was being studied there -- and then went into the population in Wuhan.

US officials are 100 percent confident China went to great lengths to cover up after the virus was out, the sources said.

 

Additionally, the sources believe that the World Health Organization -- which the president paused funding to this week over its role in the crisis -- was either complicit in the coverup, or looked the other way.

 

The president hinted at an investigation earlier this month when he told Fox News’ John Roberts: "More and more we're hearing the story ... we are doing a very thorough examination of this horrible situation."

 

There have been more than 3 million confirmed cases of the coronavirus across the globe, and more than 227,000 deaths.

 

 

 

VIMTSTL
Honored Social Butterfly

Nothappening posted:

 

My scientific knowledge is way beyond yours and I didn't insist proof on one side and never talked about proof. What I did say is: very strong leaning is equivalent to personal opinion and NOT scientific evidence and it will remain that way. So you can go whining all the way but since you don't have a firm grasp on what I posted, I can't have a discussion with you. I'm not confusing hypothesis with theory because you are the first to discuss that. In fact, your post is erroneous in so many ways.

 

 

Well, opinions are fine but there is no evidence supporting this theory.  It could have happened and it could have come from Unicorn droppings but both are about equally likely.  I have seen how many regressives are having a real problem when their high school buddy who could not pass the intro science class tells them one thing and every genome scientist in the world tells them something else. Who to believe? Who to believe? 

 

Researchers led by Shan-Lu Liu at the Ohio State University say there is “no credible evidence” of genetic engineering (Emerging Microbes & Infections,doi.org/dpvw). The virus’s genome has been sequenced, and if it had been altered, we would expect to see signs of inserted gene sequences. But we now know the points that differ from bat viruses are scattered in a fairly random way, just as they would be if the new virus had evolved naturally.

Read more:https://www.newscientist.com/term/coronavirus-come-lab/#ixzz6LhhVpgg8

0 Kudos
359 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Richva said: Well, opinions are fine but there is no evidence supporting this theory.

 

I never supported any theory or made any favorable or non favorable statement agreeing or disagreeing with this article.  What I did say is:  " very strong leaning is equivalent to personal opinion and NOT scientific evidence".  It's a general statement that holds true for any circumstance.  Liberals get excited about things that are obvious to any normal person.

0 Kudos
312 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

I hope all saw the news from France this morning. They have been looking for what they call person one treated for the virus. They say that they have found him. He was treated in France during the month of Dec. If he was treated early in Dec. that could mean he got it Nov. They had him on TV but did not ask if he was in China. All can check this out.

This might throw a monkey wrench in the whole China story. Keep an eye on this one. Just think Trump is about to take us to war with China over the virus, and his enablers have been backing him, and they could not even wait til we had all the facts. Trump loves to hurt and kill like all far right Dictators.

0 Kudos
280 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

In sharp contrast to the deceptive, inaccurate title of this thread, please read the following:

 

"The Office of the Director of National Intelligence said in a statement last week that the US intelligence community "concurs with the wide scientific consensus that the Covid-19 virus was not man-made or genetically modified."

Honored Social Butterfly

CriticalThinking:  "The Office of the Director of National Intelligence said in a statement last week that the US intelligence community "concurs with the wide scientific consensus that the Covid-19 virus was not man-made or genetically modified."

 

A very unwelcome detail, that's why it's being ignored.

Honored Social Butterfly

As many of us often say, facts thoroughly confuse members of Trump World who always believe what Fox or Trump tells them.

 

What do scientists say?

Scientists have so far largely rejected theories that the novel corona virus is man-made. In February, 27 public health experts wrote a letter in the Lancet medical journal to condemn such conspiracy theories, citing scientific evidence that "overwhelmingly conclude that this corona virus originated in wildlife."
 
"Our analyses clearly show that SARS-CoV-2 is not a laboratory construct or a purposefully manipulated virus," the paper said, referring to the virus using its WHO, designated moniker.
 
Although its exact origin remains unknown, many experts believe the virus is likely to have originated in bats and jumped to humans from an intermediate host, perhaps a pangolin.".
Honored Social Butterfly

I believe we are still waiting for some evidence or credible report that the subject of this thread has any truth. Is that correct? 

Honored Social Butterfly

Should we accept another Trump World conspiracy theory or should we follow the science? Read what Dr. Fauci said today, Tuesday May 5th.

 

""If you look at the evolution of the virus in bats and what's out there now, [the scientific evidence] is very, very strongly leaning toward this could not have been artificially or deliberately manipulated ... Everything about the stepwise evolution over time strongly indicates that [this virus] evolved in nature and then jumped species."

Honored Social Butterfly

...the scientific evidence] is very, very strongly leaning toward this could not have been artificially ...

 

Very strong leaning is equivalent to personal opinion and NOT scientific evidence regardless of what Dr. Fauci said!

0 Kudos
358 Views
10
Report
Recognized Social Butterfly

Nothappening,

 

Does your comment mean that you expect proof that it was NOT created and released in a Chinese lab?  Because that is not the way proof works, unless you are a conspiracy theorist and demand that everybody else prove that non-fact based wacko theories be factually disproved.  The easiest and most likely explanation is exactly what Fauci said.  If you are deviating from that, then some actual proof needs to be shown to back up other facts.

By the way you can never "prove" where this virus actually started.  It is most likely that it started in Wuhan, but it could have started somewhere else with the first case that we know about showing up in Wuhan. 

Since you have never backed up anything you have said with actual facts, I will not hold my breath.

 

Honored Social Butterfly

Does your comment mean that you expect proof that it was NOT created and released in a Chinese lab? Because that is not the way proof works, unless you are a conspiracy theorist and demand that everybody else prove that non-fact based wacko theories be factually disproved. The easiest and most likely explanation is exactly what Fauci said. If you are deviating from that, then some actual proof needs to be shown to back up other facts.
By the way you can never "prove" where this virus actually started. It is most likely that it started in Wuhan, but it could have started somewhere else with the first case that we know about showing up in Wuhan.
Since you have never backed up anything you have said with actual facts, I will not hold my breath.

 

 

My comment means exactly what it says.  Very strong leaning is NOT scientific evidence.  Maybe liberals think it does but that's another story. BTW, I never stated I could prove where it started - that's your problem.  

 

Very strong leaning is equivalent to personal opinion and NOT scientific evidence regardless of what Dr. Fauci said.

0 Kudos
351 Views
8
Report
Recognized Social Butterfly

Nothappening wrote:

"My comment means exactly what it says.  Very strong leaning is NOT scientific evidence.  Maybe liberals think it does but that's another story. BTW, I never stated I could prove where it started - that's your problem.  

 

Very strong leaning is equivalent to personal opinion and NOT scientific evidence regardless of what Dr. Fauci said."

 

Then you need to go back and read this thread again.  There has been research conducted with very strong evidence leaning exactly where Fauci said.  The other side is saying we THINK it is this with NO actual evidence, but because it COULD occur means it MUST have occurred.

 

Also, you do realize that medicine is NOT an exact science?  We will never know (like we know 2+2=4) where a disease started, just where it most likely did.  The practice of medicine is a more of a social science (just like economics) than a natural science since you will not always get the same result.  That is why a competent Doctor will never give you a 100% guaranty on anything.  A medicine that works for one person, may not work or even kill another.

 

So I suppose I could be snarky now and point out how some think NO evidence is scientific evidence, but I won't.  This entire thread started because a right wing poster flat out LIED as to what his support article stated.  You read the article and tell all of us where it says that the DNI has CONFIRMED anything.  So, according to all available evidence, where do you think this started?  If you say in a Chinese lab, then list your reasons why it is likely it started there.  I will not hold my breath waiting for you to respond since I am sure you will just fall back to something like "I don't have to do what you say" or some such argument. 

 

BTW, show where anyone said it was not still be investigated and therefore would not change vs another claiming evidence that is not there.

Honored Social Butterfly

"My comment means exactly what it says. Very strong leaning is NOT scientific evidence. Maybe liberals think it does but that's another story. BTW, I never stated I could prove where it started - that's your problem.

Very strong leaning is equivalent to personal opinion and NOT scientific evidence regardless of what Dr. Fauci said."

Then you need to go back and read this thread again. There has been research conducted with very strong evidence leaning exactly where Fauci said. The other side is saying we THINK it is this with NO actual evidence, but because it COULD occur means it MUST have occurred.

Also, you do realize that medicine is NOT an exact science? We will never know (like we know 2+2=4) where a disease started, just where it most likely did. The practice of medicine is a more of a social science (just like economics) than a natural science since you will not always get the same result. That is why a competent Doctor will never give you a 100% guaranty on anything. A medicine that works for one person, may not work or even kill another.

So I suppose I could be snarky now and point out how some think NO evidence is scientific evidence, but I won't. This entire thread started because a right wing poster flat out LIED as to what his support article stated. You read the article and tell all of us where it says that the DNI has CONFIRMED anything. So, according to all available evidence, where do you think this started? If you say in a Chinese lab, then list your reasons why it is likely it started there. I will not hold my breath waiting for you to respond since I am sure you will just fall back to something like "I don't have to do what you say" or some such argument.

BTW, show where anyone said it was not still be investigated and therefore would not change vs another claiming evidence that is not there.

 

I know liberals never want to admit when their wrong but you are just wrong! Very strong leaning is equivalent to personal opinion and NOT scientific evidence and it will remain that way.  I read the article and didn't say I had proof or even conjecture where the virus started as you said I did so play your games some where else.

0 Kudos
351 Views
6
Report
Recognized Social Butterfly

Nothappening wrote:

I know liberals never want to admit when their wrong but you are just wrong! Very strong leaning is equivalent to personal opinion and NOT scientific evidence and it will remain that way.  I read the article and didn't say I had proof or even conjecture where the virus started as you said I did so play your games some where else.

 

Your scientific knowledge is lacking.  You insist on "proof" on one side and simply accept another side with absolutely no proof at all.  Strong leaning means that they haven't yet found conclusive proof (which they never will), but have found evidence to support their position.  In this case they have found evidence that it is in fact natural and WAS not made in a lab.

 

BTW you are confusing evidence (which is what is being collected, is pointing in one direction and is used to come a final conclusion) with a final conclusive theory or hypothesis.

 

This isn't the first time and I am sure it will not be the last where you keep posting bogus claims.

 

The article is talking about overriding what the current evidence shows.  Don't you think some sort of evidence should be produced to back up the argument, or is the administration saying it happened all the proof that you need?

Honored Social Butterfly

Your scientific knowledge is lacking. You insist on "proof" on one side and simply accept another side with absolutely no proof at all.

 

My scientific knowledge is way beyond yours and I didn't insist proof on one side and never talked about proof.  What I did say is: very strong leaning is equivalent to personal opinion and NOT scientific evidence and it will remain that way. So you can go whining all the way but since you don't have a firm grasp on what I posted, I can't have a discussion with you. I'm not confusing hypothesis with theory because you are the first to discuss that. In fact, your post is erroneous in so many ways.

0 Kudos
442 Views
4
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Nothappening posted:

 

My scientific knowledge is way beyond yours and I didn't insist proof on one side and never talked about proof.  What I did say is: very strong leaning is equivalent to personal opinion and NOT scientific evidence and it will remain that way. So you can go whining all the way but since you don't have a firm grasp on what I posted, I can't have a discussion with you. I'm not confusing hypothesis with theory because you are the first to discuss that. In fact, your post is erroneous in so many ways.

 

If this is what you really believe why did you even start this thread? The article only announced that there was going to be an investigation of the origin and you conflated that to be "DNI Confirms Outbreak Result of Accident at Wuhan Lab". If you had read even the first sentence of the article you cited you would have known that your subject line was false.

0 Kudos
367 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Snoopy said: If this is what you really believe why did you even start this thread?

 

I didn't start "this thread".  Go take a look.

0 Kudos
334 Views
0
Report
Recognized Social Butterfly

Nothappening wrote"

My scientific knowledge is way beyond yours and I didn't insist proof on one side and never talked about proof.  What I did say is: very strong leaning is equivalent to personal opinion and NOT scientific evidence and it will remain that way. So you can go whining all the way but since you don't have a firm grasp on what I posted, I can't have a discussion with you. I'm not confusing hypothesis with theory because you are the first to discuss that. In fact, your post is erroneous in so many ways.

Since evidence is the individual facts you use to support your conclusion, you are wrong.

If you truly had scientific knowledge than you would be saying that there is not ENOUGH evidence (and there never will be a 100% determination) and that you think Fauci's reading of the evidence is his own personal opinion.  The same can be said of anything that cannot be proven without a 100% determination.  You need to accept the fact that the closer the evidence points to 100% the more likely it is than not.  Will you now be taking hydroxychloroquine even though the new evidence says it doesn't work?  (Early evidence said promising and hopeful not definite).  That is an example of science doing what science does, thinking that something looks right and continuing to actively disprove it to show the initial assumption was false.  Right now, the initial assumption looks accurate.

 

If it was man-made and China released it, that would be considered an act of war.  If the administration and DNI was so convinced this was the case, they would be declaring war against China.

 

All you are doing is making excuses for Trump's failures.  There is no way he could have stopped this, but he sure could of done more to mitigate it.

Honored Social Butterfly

@sp362 

Very nicely said. This once again points out how excuses, denials, lack of facts, projectionism, and misdirection are the common tactics used to support anything connected to trump, or his administration. That’s what one would need in support of a bald faced liar such as trump. He continually tries to blame others to coverup his incompetence. The the current status of the virus and economy belong to trump, due to trump’s inaction, pure and simple!

Honored Social Butterfly

As always, you must double check the items regressives post as facts. In this case, the assumption of the thread is exactly the opposite of the results of the intelligence community's assessment released Thursday.

 

 

On Thursday, the U.S. intelligence community released an assessment formally concluding that the virus behind the coronavirus pandemic originated in China. While asserting that the pathogen was not man-made or genetically altered, the statement pointedly declined to rule out the possibility that virus had escaped from the complex of laboratories in Wuhan that has been at the forefront of global research into bat-borne viruses linked to multiple epidemics over the past decade.

 

 

Honored Social Butterfly


@Richva wrote:

As always, you must double check the items regressives post as facts. In this case, the assumption of the thread is exactly the opposite of the results of the intelligence community's assessment released Thursday.

 

 

On Thursday, the U.S. intelligence community released an assessment formally concluding that the virus behind the coronavirus pandemic originated in China. While asserting that the pathogen was not man-made or genetically altered, the statement pointedly declined to rule out the possibility that virus had escaped from the complex of laboratories in Wuhan that has been at the forefront of global research into bat-borne viruses linked to multiple epidemics over the past decade.

 

Good one, Rich!  The deplorables, Cult, extremists were wrong again.  Thank you for reminding readers that we should "you must double check the items regressives post as facts. In this case, the assumption of the thread is exactly the opposite of the results of the intelligence community's assessment released Thursday."

 

Another right-wing extremist conspiacy theory wrong again.....trying to save the pinhead POTUS'

 butt! 


 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

And this is the group who want to lead the greatest country in the world. Like putting weasles in charge of an airport. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Richva:   And this is the group who want to lead the greatest country in the world. Like putting weasles in charge of an airport. 

 

 

We have the world's best Kakistocracy, you have to hand that much to Trump.

0 Kudos
1,177 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

@jimc91 
DNI Grenell is a trump loyalist, recently appointed by trump, and probably pressured by trump to get the results that trump wants. 
All the while overlooking the reports by intelligence, that said it was not man made. 
Or is it just trying to take opinions, and make them fit the desired story, and attempt to claim them as the truth.,.normal trump method. 

Honored Social Butterfly

The Office of the Director of National Intelligence confirmed on-record for the first time Thursday that the U.S. intelligence community is investigating whether the coronavirus outbreak, which has wreaked havoc across the globe, started as the result of an accident at a laboratory in Wuhan, China.

 

“The entire Intelligence Community has been consistently providing critical support to U.S. policymakers and those responding to the COVID-19 virus, which originated in China. The Intelligence Community also concurs with the wide scientific consensus that the COVID-19 virus was not manmade or genetically modified,” a statement from the office of acting Director of National Intelligence Richard Grenell said.

 

 

 

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
1,202 Views
3
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@jimc91 wrote:

The Office of the Director of National Intelligence confirmed on-record for the first time Thursday that the U.S. intelligence community is investigating whether the coronavirus outbreak, which has wreaked havoc across the globe, started as the result of an accident at a laboratory in Wuhan, China.

 

“The entire Intelligence Community has been consistently providing critical support to U.S. policymakers and those responding to the COVID-19 virus, which originated in China. The Intelligence Community also concurs with the wide scientific consensus that the COVID-19 virus was not manmade or genetically modified,” a statement from the office of acting Director of National Intelligence Richard Grenell said.

 

 

 


Not true see my previous post. They have been looking at this since before Jan. You can post it 1,000 times as it will not be true.

Honored Social Butterfly


@jimc91 wrote:

The Office of the Director of National Intelligence confirmed on-record for the first time Thursday that the U.S. intelligence community is investigating whether the coronavirus outbreak,

 

Let's highlight the "is investigating" part, shall we for the poster...


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Recognized Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

The Office of the Director of National Intelligence confirmed on-record for the first time Thursday that the U.S. intelligence community is investigating whether the coronavirus outbreak,

 

Let's highlight the "is investigating" part, shall we for the poster...


UNBELIEVABLE!!  Maybe we should suggest he looks up the definitons of investigating and confirms.

Social Butterfly

You really don't see the difference between:

 

DNI Confirms Outbreak Result of Accident at Wuhan Lab

 

And...

 

Intel boss confirms investigation into whether coronavirus outbreak the ‘result of an accident’ at Wuhan lab.

 

?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png