Get the vision care news and information you need in the AARP Eye Center.

Reply
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
90
Views

Re: DIY Printable Guns

90 Views
Message 11 of 35

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@john258 wrote:


He gets the cigar as it appears you are wrong about Western Europe.


I didn't start the topic to discuss guns as such and certainly not Western Europe.  And even further, I believe that your posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 

 

Now do you have any comments regarding that guns can be produced on a 3d printer?  And how it might affect gun ownership in the country now that the program to do so is in the public domain?


Well you supplied your thoughts and said he did not get the cigar, and your thoughts were wrong so now give him the cigar.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
90
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
90
Views

Re: DIY Printable Guns

90 Views
Message 12 of 35

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

 

Yep - I've done a considerable amount of wrench twisting over the years - as well as being a pretty good fabricating machinist...

Not just automobiles - held certifications for car, truck, bus and motorcycle technician as well as certifications in welding and machining to encourage the guys in the shops to get certified.   Paid them more if they achieved and maintained certification.

Printing plastic parts will lower te cost of many replacement parts, as well as making small quantity runs of older/obsolete/antique parts more financially feasible...

 

However - back closer to being on topic...

I've made a couple of firearms, and thanks to specs and blueprints being available, I was able to make a replica of a Revolutionary War breech-loading flintlock Ferguson.

Back in the 70s and 80s when there were muzzle loader roundevous and cannon shoots at the old abandoned Camp Hale site before some portions of it were restricted to to hazards from undetonated munitions, made a replica of a 2,75 inch Whitworth cannon and a homemade cannon that used bowling balls for projectiles.


 

 


Of course!!!!


Bet your momma - like most mothers - told you that if you hold yourself that way too many times - you'll freeze that way

 

Just saying...

 

 "Of course" it's obvious to rational, logical, decent, and honorable patriotic American Citizens why you failed to copy the rest of my post...

 

"Right now, the major shortcoming involved with the material printers use to print firearms is that they are not yet capable of printing metals as strong and durable as those used by firearms manufacturers.

 

So - right now, due to the limitations of the materials available to print a firearm would mean that a semi-automatic firearm would quite literally - break and become inoperable - explode in ones hands - or become inoperable due to excess heat before firing 20 rounds as fast as one could pull the trigger...

 

Even though investment casting is fairly easy - time consuming and relatively expensive machining and heat treating is still necessary...

 

That a citizen could inexpensively purchase limited right to make use of the programming, printer time, and materials to print a couple of .410 derringers for themselves and their significant other for personal self defense purposes is an attractive idea..."

 

TOS does not allow me to post the reason ...

 

 

44>dolt45
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
90
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
81
Views

Re: DIY Printable Guns

81 Views
Message 13 of 35

@alferdpacker wrote:

 

Yep - I've done a considerable amount of wrench twisting over the years - as well as being a pretty good fabricating machinist...

Not just automobiles - held certifications for car, truck, bus and motorcycle technician as well as certifications in welding and machining to encourage the guys in the shops to get certified.   Paid them more if they achieved and maintained certification.

Printing plastic parts will lower te cost of many replacement parts, as well as making small quantity runs of older/obsolete/antique parts more financially feasible...

 

However - back closer to being on topic...

I've made a couple of firearms, and thanks to specs and blueprints being available, I was able to make a replica of a Revolutionary War breech-loading flintlock Ferguson.

Back in the 70s and 80s when there were muzzle loader roundevous and cannon shoots at the old abandoned Camp Hale site before some portions of it were restricted to to hazards from undetonated munitions, made a replica of a 2,75 inch Whitworth cannon and a homemade cannon that used bowling balls for projectiles.


 

 


Of course!!!!

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
81
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
80
Views

Re: DIY Printable Guns

80 Views
Message 14 of 35

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:


The horses have escaped - it's now too late to worry about the barn door...

 

Does an individual need a license to make a firearm for personal use? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, ...

 

 


It might be so, but the fact is that the program is in the public domain so anyone can print as many guns as they want.  The process probably takes several days so it is doubtful that the country will be flooded with 'printed' firearms.

 

The Justice Department has given up any objections about the program because of free speech issues

 

These type printers are even used to 'print' hard to find auto parts.  As a self-described auto mechanic perhaps you'd find the process useful.

 

Yep - I've done a considerable amount of wrench twisting over the years - as well as being a pretty good fabricating machinist...

Not just automobiles - held certifications for car, truck, 4wd, bus and motorcycle technician as well as certifications in welding and machining to encourage the guys in the shops to get certified.   Paid them more if they achieved and maintained certification...

Printing plastic parts will lower the cost of many replacement parts, as well as making small quantity runs of older/obsolete/antique parts more financially feasible...

 

However - back closer to being on topic...

I've made a couple of firearms, and thanks to specs and blueprints being available, I was able to make a replica of a Revolutionary War breech-loading flintlock Ferguson.

Back in the 70s and 80s when there were muzzle loader rendezvous and cannon shoots at the old abandoned Camp Hale site before some portions of it were restricted to to hazards from undetonated munitions, made a replica of a 2,75 inch Whitworth cannon and a homemade cannon that used bowling balls for projectiles.

 

Right now, the major shortcoming involved with the material printers use to print firearms is that they are not yet capable of printing metals as strong and durable as those used by firearms manufacturers.

 

So - right now, due to the limitations of the materials available to print a firearm would mean that a semi-automatic firearm would quite literally - break and become inoperable - explode in ones hands - or become inoperable due to excess heat before firing 20 rounds as fast as one could pull the trigger...

 

Even though investment casting is fairly easy - time consuming and relatively expensive machining and heat treating is still necessary...

 

That a citizen could inexpensively purchase limited right to make use of the programming, printer time, and materials to print a couple of .410 derringers for themselves and their significant other for personal self defense purposes is an attractive idea...

 

 

44>dolt45
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
80
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
76
Views

Re: DIY Printable Guns

76 Views
Message 15 of 35

@alferdpacker wrote:


The horses have escaped - it's now too late to worry about the barn door...

 

Does an individual need a license to make a firearm for personal use? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, ...

 

 


It might be so, but the fact is that the program is in the public domain so anyone can print as many guns as they want.  The process probably takes several days so it is doubtful that the country will be flooded with 'printed' firearms.

 

The Justice Department has given up any objections about the program because of free speech issues

 

These type printers are even used to 'print' hard to find auto parts.  As a self-described auto mechanic perhaps you'd find the process useful.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
76
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
74
Views

Re: DIY Printable Guns

74 Views
Message 16 of 35

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:


Could you define "becoming a problem"?  That usually means one guy got a hunting rifle while drunk, shot AT a neighbor, and it made the newspapers in 4 countries because is it so rare.  Here, you need to take out more than 10 grade schoolers to get coverage state wide because it happens so often.   

 

I smell the distinctive scent of fake news again. 


 

Fake news?  Ask someone who is tech savvy if creating things are fake news.  But that phrase has become a chic thing to say when one wants discredit something. 

 

I doubt a guy would get drunk, decide to shoot up some place, so he goes into his shop, prints up a hunting rifle, then goes out and commits mayhem.  I'm guessing it would take several days to print up anything like this on a 3d printer.

 

The thing is that there is a program that is in the public domain, 3d printers are becoming more and more common, and how would printing up firearms be addressed.


The horses have escaped - it's now too late to worry about the barn door...

 

Does an individual need a license to make a firearm for personal use? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, ...

 

 

44>dolt45
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
74
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
75
Views

Re: DIY Printable Guns

75 Views
Message 17 of 35

@Richva wrote:


Could you define "becoming a problem"?  That usually means one guy got a hunting rifle while drunk, shot AT a neighbor, and it made the newspapers in 4 countries because is it so rare.  Here, you need to take out more than 10 grade schoolers to get coverage state wide because it happens so often.   

 

I smell the distinctive scent of fake news again. 


 

Fake news?  Ask someone who is tech savvy if creating things are fake news.  But that phrase has become a chic thing to say when one wants discredit something. 

 

I doubt a guy would get drunk, decide to shoot up some place, so he goes into his shop, prints up a hunting rifle, then goes out and commits mayhem.  I'm guessing it would take several days to print up anything like this on a 3d printer.

 

The thing is that there is a program that is in the public domain, 3d printers are becoming more and more common, and how would printing up firearms be addressed.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
75
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
74
Views

Re: DIY Printable Guns

74 Views
Message 18 of 35

@john258 wrote:


He gets the cigar as it appears you are wrong about Western Europe.


I didn't start the topic to discuss guns as such and certainly not Western Europe.  And even further, I believe that your posts should be taken with a grain of salt. 

 

Now do you have any comments regarding that guns can be produced on a 3d printer?  And how it might affect gun ownership in the country now that the program to do so is in the public domain?

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
74
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
94
Views

Re: DIY Printable Guns

94 Views
Message 19 of 35

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:


Ah, then you should have no problem explaining why no other developed county, the ones with strong controls on guns and regulations on ownership, have guns flooding their streets?  Guns are forbidden yet the floodgates your theory predicted have not opened. 

 

Why is that? Because the theory that people will do anything to own a gun is badly flawed and disproved by the real world. 


Still no cigar.  How can you say there is no strict controls in other countries?  It appears that guns are becoming a problem in Western Europe.

 

Now that this is taken care, have you any comment on DIY printable guns?  But of course like always you attempt to obfuscate and take topics off topic as always.


Could you define "becoming a problem"?  That usually means one guy got a hunting rifle while drunk, shot AT a neighbor, and it made the newspapers in 4 countries because is it so rare.  Here, you need to take out more than 10 grade schoolers to get coverage state wide because it happens so often.   

 

I smell the distinctive scent of fake news again. 

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
94
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
98
Views

Re: DIY Printable Guns

98 Views
Message 20 of 35

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:


Ah, then you should have no problem explaining why no other developed county, the ones with strong controls on guns and regulations on ownership, have guns flooding their streets?  Guns are forbidden yet the floodgates your theory predicted have not opened. 

 

Why is that? Because the theory that people will do anything to own a gun is badly flawed and disproved by the real world. 


Still no cigar.  How can you say there is no strict controls in other countries?  It appears that guns are becoming a problem in Western Europe.

 

Now that this is taken care, have you any comment on DIY printable guns?  But of course like always you attempt to obfuscate and take topics off topic as always.


He gets the cigar as it appears you are wrong about Western Europe.

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
98
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors