Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: DIY Printable Guns

Message 1 of 35

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

Well you supplied your thoughts and said he did not get the cigar, and your thoughts were wrong so now give him the cigar.

Guess you didn't read the article?  Further guess that you won't because it would prove you wrong.  Besides you didn't address the topic but just wanted to denigrate another poster.

Now you owe him 2 cigars. Just give them to him. You lost.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 35

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

Yep - and you got an opportunity to talk about your experiences with half century old technology, but we missed hearing interesting stories about pet dinosaurs...

Sometime I'll tell you about the 'zapper' used when it acted up.

Not a chance - after all the "trump truths"?

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 35

@alferdpacker wrote:

Yep - and you got an opportunity to talk about your experiences with half century old technology, but we missed hearing interesting stories about pet dinosaurs...

Sometime I'll tell you about the 'zapper' used when it acted up.  I'm saving the pet dinosaurs for another time..beddy-bed time.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 35

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

I was pointing out what anyone possessing any significant amount of knowledge of how firearms work would recognize as fact leading to recognition that limitations of strength and thermal stability of current printer materials

Apparently you didn't bother to read the article where this is still in the developmental stages where stronger materials are yet to come?  But it did give a chance to show off your 'superior' knowledge didn't it?

I'm not as interested in DIY firearms as much as the advancements in computer technology of which I started out with card processing equipment where we were required to memorize how to read the punches on the IBM cards.  I got into the habit of reading the punches instead of the printed portion at the top of the card.

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

I was pointing out what anyone possessing any significant amount of knowledge of how firearms work would recognize as fact leading to recognition that limitations of strength and thermal stability of current printer materials

Apparently you didn't bother to read the article where this is still in the developmental stages where stronger materials are yet to come?  But it did give a chance to show off your 'superior' knowledge didn't it?

I'm not as interested in DIY firearms as much as the advancements in computer technology of which I started out with card processing equipment where we were required to memorize how to read the punches on the IBM cards.  I got into the habit of reading the punches instead of the printed portion at the top of the card.

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 35

@alferdpacker wrote:

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 35

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

So - right now, due to the limitations of the materials available to print a firearm would mean that a semi-automatic firearm would quite literally - break and become inoperable - explode in ones hands - or become inoperable due to excess heat before firing 20 rounds as fast as one could pull the trigger...

Yet the article showed that it can be done.  Nothing said about semi-automatics.

Yes it has been done - with relatively low energy rounds like .380 (9mm short) and some shotgun cartridges which are also relatively low pressure cartridges.

I was pointing out what anyone possessing any significant amount of knowledge of how firearms work would recognize as fact leading to recognition that limitations of strength and thermal stability of current printer materials make it not currently possible to print a reliable AR, AK, M4, 1911, M9, or Sig P320 - including the obvious fact that a printed barrel would have to be replaced nearly every round...

The century old low pressure 45ACP round might be able to be used in a printed firearm...

Will a printed firearm be used to commit any mass murders in the near future?  

Probably not for a while yet...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 35

@Richva wrote:

More Conservative fake news.

Didn't read the source?  Wired is a good reading among technology fans.

Guess you also believe the earth is flat.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 35

@john258 wrote:

Well you supplied your thoughts and said he did not get the cigar, and your thoughts were wrong so now give him the cigar.

Guess you didn't read the article?  Further guess that you won't because it would prove you wrong.  Besides you didn't address the topic but just wanted to denigrate another poster.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 35

@alferdpacker wrote:

So - right now, due to the limitations of the materials available to print a firearm would mean that a semi-automatic firearm would quite literally - break and become inoperable - explode in ones hands - or become inoperable due to excess heat before firing 20 rounds as fast as one could pull the trigger...

Yet the article showed that it can be done.  Nothing said about semi-automatics.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 35

More Conservative fake news. The very idea that the ability to create a gun (IF you had the proper equipment and IF you had the proper training and IF you had the proper materials) somehow invalidates the idea of reasonable gun control and registration is moronic.  The same technologies are available in every other developed country and they do not have a problem enforcing their laws. 

Kudos
Views