Honored Social Butterfly

DACA and The Supreme Court

DACA Ruling.png

Did I miss a thread here on this somewhere?  Huge news.   I was really surprised to see Justice Roberts writing the majority opinion on this.   Until I saw "why."   Sloppy government work.  Arbitrary and capricious.   It's so sloppy, it makes me wonder if the department did this on purpose to fundamentally undermine Trump's evil intentions. 

Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. wrote the majority opinion, joined by the court’s four more liberal members in upholding the executive action by President Barack Obama that established the program, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA. But the chief justice made clear that the decision was based on procedural issues and that the Trump administration could try to redress them.

“We do not decide whether DACA or its rescission are sound policies,” the chief justice wrote. “We address only whether the agency complied with the procedural requirement that it provide a reasoned explanation for its action.” 

There is, at least, good reason to think that a majority of the justices do not trust the rationales offered by his administration for major initiatives. Last year, the same five justices rejected its reason for adding a question on citizenship to the census, with Chief Justice Roberts saying it “appears to have been contrived.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/18/us/trump-daca-supreme-court.html

Honored Social Butterfly

@ManicProgressive  This is very good news for all the DACA  children that are in this country.   but  if Trump gets re elected it will disappear 
We need to change  not only the President, but  the Senate in order to be able to produce     a real  rehaull  of this Immigration law.
I was lucky, We Cubans  that have come to this country  just   like the Vietnamese were never considered illegals. 
I feel blessed that we cam way before Trump was in power, Otherwise, we would have been told to go  back to the    sh..... country that we came from.
So I feel blessed and lucky.
But now the time has come for us to stand by the DACA  children,    and provide them with the security that we all enjoy.                                                                                                                     

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Stay tuned. This is the same Court that gave us Citizens United and shot down Voters rights...issues which are major reasons of why we are, where we are.
Let’s see what the Court decides on some issues which are coming up.

And if trump tries to contest two of the recent decisions. 

Will the Court make trump release paperwork which was requested by the House and investigations?

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png