Honored Social Butterfly

Current Regime: Medicaid Block Grants

I will assume that most RW will celebrate this as they hate federal dollars being spent on some individuals.....  Oh wait, what is that,  10% of all Vets are recipients of Medicaid and the gang in the WH has just decided that making it harder to get medicaid funding.    They have gone to the Medicaid Block Grant gambit.  

If federal officials approve waivers to change Medicaid funding to block grants, it could be among the administration's most controversial changes to the 55-year-old Medicaid program, according to the report.

2. Under current regulations, the federal government matches state Medicaid spending. A block grant program would mean a state would instead receive a capped lump sum of federal funding to use.

3. Block grants have already gained support from lawmakers in Tennessee, Alaska and Oklahoma, according to WSJ.

4. Proponents of the block grants argue they will give states more flexibility over how their program is funded, as well as free them from some federal requirements. Opponents argue the limited funds would lead to thousands of people losing Medicaid coverage, and question the legality of waiving federal funding under Medicaid.

5. The possible new guidance comes after CMS withdrew a proposed guidance on Medicaid block grants and per-capita cap programs from the White House Office of Management and Budget website in November 2019.

Bottom line:   if the State can get a waiver and then make it very hard for people to gain access by making the application process more arduous - then the State still gets the money, they just don't have to spend it .... on VETS.....yeah, that is going to really drive up numbers.     Now I am planning visiting all the local VFW units, as they are already po'd at Donald as he seems to believe that TBI is just a mere headache.   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

I do not understand your use of "VETS" here - The VA system and Medicaid work together in many respects.

You do understand that some states have already expanded their Medicaid program to populations which are NOT matched by the Federal government - like California, and I don't think they applied for a waiver.

NOW, the Feds set a certain income eligibility limit for a minimum base for Medicaid for certain populations - states are then free to float that income eligibility requirement upwards or downward (to the Fed min.) as their state economics change. 

I don't see this as too different from what other countries do when they set their "global budgets" to control health care cost.

Definition:  global budgeting is the process by which society chooses, directs, and enforces how much to spend on health care, what to spend it on, and where that spending will take place.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

I do not understand your use of "VETS" here - The VA system and Medicaid work together in many respects.

You do understand that some states have already expanded their Medicaid program to populations which are NOT matched by the Federal government - like California, and I don't think they applied for a waiver.

NOW, the Feds set a certain income eligibility limit for a minimum base for Medicaid for certain populations - states are then free to float that income eligibility requirement upwards or downward (to the Fed min.) as their state economics change. 

I don't see this as too different from what other countries do when they set their "global budgets" to control health care cost.

Definition:  global budgeting is the process by which society chooses, directs, and enforces how much to spend on health care, what to spend it on, and where that spending will take place.

To have a real health care system for the USA you have one system and you do not allow states to get a block grant on any part of the basic system. That way you get the most bang for you buck.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png