Get a newer and safer vehicle while saving money! Check out the AARP auto buying program.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Current Events: Brit views on Brexit

Message 1 of 17

More British humor on Brexit . . . 

20 'Brexit is like...' tweets that are so hilariously British it hurts

https://www.indy100.com/article/brexit-twitter-metaphor-british-eu-leave-remain-second-referendum-88...

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 17

Okay, so here's a really good one that covers all of the available options, so who knows what might happen next . . . 

Brexit explained: A simple guide to what's actually happening with Brexit right now (with cat gifs)

https://www.indy100.com/article/brexit-explained-article-50-delay-extension-theresa-may-eu-8835136

The one thing that I really love about the Brits is that they have a great sense of humor!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 17

@john258 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
Nothing to do with president Trump.... that is low resolution thinking feeding a false narrative. . The Brits see their identity disappearing and they are a proud people. Who doesn't believe the Brits are entitled to be British? The elites of the world point our lack of honor towards indigenous people , but criticize a nation wanting to retain it's culture, language, and way of life.

I support the will of the people. I see the UK as our mother nation and all her children as family. A measure of upbringing is how well your children do.

Suggest you learn the full subject. One of the leaders of the BREXIT movement was Neigl  F. He has a condo in Washington DC where he spends time. Steve Bannon also lives in the same building. Nigel talked to Steve about how to present Brexit to the people in the vote. Steve was for Brixit and became an adviser to Nigel, and made trips to the UK to help plan, and carry out the Brexit vote. Steve was backed by Trump, and Trump spoke out in favor of BREXIT. That is one of the reasons Trump could not get a State Visit to Britain. The speaker of Parliament has stated Trump would never speak in Parliament as long as he was speaker. The Royals wanted nothing to do with Trump. Trump was in Brexit up to his ears.

Absolutely correct!

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 17

@rker321 wrote:

I will confess that I know very little about this issue, but, I wonder as to why the Brits really want to exit the rest of EU

Russian and trump interference.  Yes, really!  Smiley Wink

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 17

It seems a lot of Brits have awoken to the fact that they were sold a false bill of goods. The petition to revoke has now exceeds 5.3 million signatures. The demonstration yesterday in London was put at 1 million. A former conservative leader, now independent, (interesting) has also called for a "peoples vote".  I don't see how MPs and May can continue to even discuss Brexit without a vote from the people. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/24/brexit-petition-to-revoke-article-50-reaches-5m-sig...

I do follow the news in the UK as I spent 25 years working for British owned companies here in the US. I've spent much time studying the culture and history of Britain / England / Scotland and Ireland since it is also a great part of my ancestry.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 17

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
Nothing to do with president Trump.... that is low resolution thinking feeding a false narrative. . The Brits see their identity disappearing and they are a proud people. Who doesn't believe the Brits are entitled to be British? The elites of the world point our lack of honor towards indigenous people , but criticize a nation wanting to retain it's culture, language, and way of life.

I support the will of the people. I see the UK as our mother nation and all her children as family. A measure of upbringing is how well your children do.

Suggest you learn the full subject. One of the leaders of the BREXIT movement was Neigl  F. He has a condo in Washington DC where he spends time. Steve Bannon also lives in the same building. Nigel talked to Steve about how to present Brexit to the people in the vote. Steve was for Brixit and became an adviser to Nigel, and made trips to the UK to help plan, and carry out the Brexit vote. Steve was backed by Trump, and Trump spoke out in favor of BREXIT. That is one of the reasons Trump could not get a State Visit to Britain. The speaker of Parliament has stated Trump would never speak in Parliament as long as he was speaker. The Royals wanted nothing to do with Trump. Trump was in Brexit up to his ears.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 17

@retiredtraveler wrote:

I've followed this since the beginning. I was on one of my annual trips to the UK as the original vote was happening. It's complicated, as is all politics. We've discussed this on other forums with Brits who are on those forums.

The vote for/against was largely on class lines, and by various areas of the UK. A large part of the 'yes' vote were people who did not like, or feared, the increasing immigration from war torn countries (sound familiar?). Poor areas, such as Cornwall, voted to leave because they thought more immigration would make their area even poorer.

Another part was the Nationalist thing. That is, UK could do better on it's own than be part of the EU because they were in much better shape than many of the EU countries (Italy, Greece have been big drags on the EU). 

What few people realized were the enormous numbers, and extent, of contractual obligations under the EU that have to be re-negotiated. There is a large possibility that major banks and financial institutions will move from London, elsewhere. 

There is a movement to try to vote on the referendum again, with the hope that Brexit would not happen. After the vote, a new phrase came out: 'Bregret'.

Thank you for posting a very  interesting post and providing an objective opinion of what has been happening in Britain.

As you have been able to see, we have the usual Trump followers trying to inject their points of view in something that I am sure they don't even understand.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 17

The public was sold on the idea that if UK left EU there would be more money for NHS.    That was pure propaganda...now May is say that she will to sell off the NHS to whoever wants to buy it.  

The other big stumbling block is Ireland, where part of it is directly connected to the EU and the other part is not.    The possibility of a return of division of Ireland is a bfd.  

Those are 2 of the lies that far-right lied about to get people to vote for Brexit.    

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 17

@gruffstuff  - I think you nailed it.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 17

I just ran across a paragraph about Brexit that oddly enough describes my current feelings as an American as well.

Driving factors are the same, machines replace people, then the people blame the ( insert name here) for the Brits it's the Poles or Romanians, for Americans it's the " Mexicans " 

Lots of stuff on YouTube if you want to see it, basically whole cities that used to be industrial are service jobs or no jobs. Kind of like the Midwest cities that used to be industrial.

Politicians are just not  being honest with the people they represent or are delusional themselves.

Once the combine was invented the scythe became obsolete.

It's a world wide problem, every country in the world is dealing with it, and every country in the world is completing for the jobs machines don't do ............. yet.

IMO the Brits are better off in the EU, a larger trading block has more clout, can get better terms, better deals.  Brexit put Britain in a position of weakness, a Zebra separated from the herd on a savanna populated by lions.

They can get trade deals, just not better then what they had in and with the EU.

The UK had an exceptionally good deal and position in the EU, they had special treatment and status. They just threw it all away, poof up in smoke.

Really dumb decision, but the EU proposed tax avoidance laws in 2016, and those laws just went into effect in Jan 2019, I think that is what Brexit is actually about, the use of off shore money, tax havens, subsidiary tax avoidance, and the 1% keeping their money.

The " money " and the people it owns, divided the country into factions and pitted them against each other to preserve itself. .

Kudos
Views