Bronze Conversationalist

Coronavirus: Overblown hysteria

We need to open up America ASAP. There is a group of powerful people in this country that want the country closed. They are happy about it. I don't want to state their reasoning however I believe the dangers of COVID-19 are way overblown.

I wanted to clear up a couple of myths about COVID-19.

1. Hospitals are overcrowded

Completely wrong. The majority of hospitals in the United States are losing money because they are EMPTY and LOSING MONEY. But I thought we were in a Pandemic where thousands of people were getting sick? Hospitals are empty because elective surgeries and procedures have been delayed. I think more people are actually in danger of delaying these surgeries than from Covid-19. The media is telling us that these elective surgeries are not a high priority, that is another lie. Elective surgery is like hip surgery and appendectomy. Not important, really? The media has us thinking a bunch of people are complaining they can't get plastic surgery.

2. Total number of deaths from Covid-19 is accurate

We don't know the exact number. Who exactly is reporting these deaths? CDC? WHO? Also, people that die from COVID-19, did they actually have the virus or showed a few symptoms? Are the actual number of people dying from COVID-19, how many of them have pre-existing conditions? How many of them are obese?

From my determination: The number of people that have COVID-19 is underreported. That would make the mortality rate significantly less.... by a lot:

Multiple Studies Suggest COVID-19 Mortality Rate May Be Lower Than Expected | BioSpace

Just ask yourself, do you know someone personally that actually died from Covid-19?

I think there is a more sinister agenda in play. Just look at our airports and hospitals. They are embarrassing. Certain people just think our government has an infinite amount of resources and can just print out stimulus checks with the snap of a finger. The truth is the U.S government has a limited amount of resources! The real resources are made from people who are being forced to stop working. There is a desire to see our economy fail so they can implement a different system in place.

I have nothing against certain aspects of social distancing, but some of them make zero sense.

a. Smoking causes 480,000 deaths per year in the United States. Shouldn't that be banned if then if those people are more susceptible to getting COVID-19?
b. Obesity is associated with 1/5 death with the United States and it is being reported that obese people are more likely to become severely ill due to COVID-19. Okay... shouldn't the government be taking drastic steps to reduce obesity? I don't know, like banning junk food or unhealthy food? Instead of mandatory stay-out-home orders, shouldn't these people be going to the gym or exercising more? How does it make sense then that gyms are being closed? That will likely increase obesity rates.

Just my thoughts.

“Trump masquerades as an angel of light, but he is the father of lies”
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I think it's far more dangerous to be old than to be obese.  But if you are both obese and old, better hide for the next year....

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

If your bad at some thing do not do it at all.

Esteemed Social Butterfly

@AristotleOfGreece wrote:

We need to open up America ASAP. There is a group of powerful people in this country that want the country closed. They are happy about it. I don't want to state their reasoning however I believe the dangers of COVID-19 are way overblown.

I wanted to clear up a couple of myths about COVID-19.

1. Hospitals are overcrowded

Completely wrong. The majority of hospitals in the United States are losing money because they are EMPTY and LOSING MONEY. But I thought we were in a Pandemic where thousands of people were getting sick? Hospitals are empty because elective surgeries and procedures have been delayed. I think more people are actually in danger of delaying these surgeries than from Covid-19. The media is telling us that these elective surgeries are not a high priority, that is another lie. Elective surgery is like hip surgery and appendectomy. Not important, really? The media has us thinking a bunch of people are complaining they can't get plastic surgery.

2. Total number of deaths from Covid-19 is accurate

We don't know the exact number. Who exactly is reporting these deaths? CDC? WHO? Also, people that die from COVID-19, did they actually have the virus or showed a few symptoms? Are the actual number of people dying from COVID-19, how many of them have pre-existing conditions? How many of them are obese?

From my determination: The number of people that have COVID-19 is underreported. That would make the mortality rate significantly less.... by a lot:

Multiple Studies Suggest COVID-19 Mortality Rate May Be Lower Than Expected | BioSpace

Just ask yourself, do you know someone personally that actually died from Covid-19?

I think there is a more sinister agenda in play. Just look at our airports and hospitals. They are embarrassing. Certain people just think our government has an infinite amount of resources and can just print out stimulus checks with the snap of a finger. The truth is the U.S government has a limited amount of resources! The real resources are made from people who are being forced to stop working. There is a desire to see our economy fail so they can implement a different system in place.

I have nothing against certain aspects of social distancing, but some of them make zero sense.

a. Smoking causes 480,000 deaths per year in the United States. Shouldn't that be banned if then if those people are more susceptible to getting COVID-19?
b. Obesity is associated with 1/5 death with the United States and it is being reported that obese people are more likely to become severely ill due to COVID-19. Okay... shouldn't the government be taking drastic steps to reduce obesity? I don't know, like banning junk food or unhealthy food? Instead of mandatory stay-out-home orders, shouldn't these people be going to the gym or exercising more? How does it make sense then that gyms are being closed? That will likely increase obesity rates.

Just my thoughts.

Bring in the joker. 😆

About that obesity thing, mandatory stay-at-home orders excluded going outdoors for exercise.  As far as the government taking drastic steps to reduce obesity, go ask the president.  He's obese, he probably can answer your question better than anyone else. 

Social Butterfly

We need to open up America ASAP. There is a group of powerful people in this country that want the country closed. They are happy about it. I don't want to state their reasoning

LOL.

Elective surgery is like hip surgery and appendectomy

No, those are not elective surgeries. Why would you believe such nonsense?

You can find the answers to all those questions

here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us

What's tragic here is how many people don't know that question is a logical fallacy and has no bearing on the facts. The fallacy is called, aptly, an appeal to ignorance.

This one is known as a red herring fallacy. 

I'm tired of trying to teach Trumpettes how to differentiate facts from opinion and how to spot specious arguments. I should have known better than to look at this thread at all.

Honored Social Butterfly

Why is a leftist "opinion" better than a conservative "opinion"?  It's not and it's usually wrong (leftist opinion) and that's my OPINION!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png