Bronze Conversationalist

Coronavirus - Overblown hysteria

Coronavirus death rate is lower than previously reported, study says 

Stories about the crisis are more exciting and good for ratings.

Take away a few hot spot cities in the United States, and the mainstream media has actually very little to talk about.

Here is Dr. Drew on the Coronavirus:

In two separate interviews, Dr. Drew Pinsky, M.D., said the liberal media are "over-reacting" to coronavirus, do not know how to report on it, and have created a "hysteria." The "press needs to shut up," he said, adding that the measures taken by President Trump, the CDC, and Dr. Anthony Fauci are "appropriate" and should be heeded.

The "right people" are combating this virus, he said, stressing that Dr. Fauci, the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, "will tell you what's going on" and "when you need to worry." 

Dr. Drew on Coronavirus: Hysterical 'Press Needs to Shut Up,' Fauci, CDC, Trump Doing What's 'Approp... 

Dr. Drew is 100%. When you have magots on CNN, MSNBC, and ABC reporting medical stories, they simply do not know how to report these stories correctly.  

“Trump masquerades as an angel of light, but he is the father of lies”
Honored Social Butterfly

How is Boris doing this morning? I heard he is nw on oxygen

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I think anyone who believes this to be "overblown hysteria" should drop in on Boris Johnson during his visit to intensive care and give him a big kiss. 

Honored Social Butterfly

For those of you complaining about Trump being blamed for the coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic:

I thought I would post a little history lesson for everyone on both sides of the political divide. I think it’s important that we understand the truth, especially come November when it’s time to vote. Forgive the length, but hey, we all have time on our hands to read, correct?

In December 2013, an 18-month-old boy in Guinea was bitten by a bat and died a brutal death a day later. After that, there were five more fatal cases. When Ebola spread out of the Guinea borders into neighboring Liberia and Sierra Leone in July 2014, President Obama activated the Emergency Operations Center at the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta. The CDC immediately deployed CDC personnel to West Africa to coordinate a response that included vector tracing, testing, education, logistics, and communication.

Altogether, the CDC, under President Obama, trained 24,655 medical workers in West Africa, educating them on how to prevent and control the disease before a single case left Africa or reached the U.S.

Working with the U.N. and the World Health Organization President Obama ordered the re-routing of travelers heading to the U.S. through certain specific airports equipped to handle mass testing.

Back home in America, more than 6,500 people were trained through mock outbreaks and practice scenarios. That was done before a single case hit America.

Three months after President Obama activated this unprecedented response, on September 30, 2014, we detected our first case in the U.S.A. A man had traveled from West Africa to Dallas and somehow slipped through the testing protocol. He was immediately detected and isolated. He died a week later. Two nurses who tended to him contracted Ebola but later recovered. All the protocols had worked. It was contained.

The Ebola epidemic could have easily become a pandemic, but thanks to the actions of our government under President Obama, it never did. Those THREE EBOLA CONFIRMED CASES were the ONLY cases of Ebola in the U.S.A. because Obama did what needed to be done THREE MONTHS PRIOR TO THE FIRST CASE.

Ebola is even more contagious than COVID-19. Had Obama not acted swiftly, millions of Americans would have died horrible, painful, deaths like something out of a horror movie (if you’ve never seen how Ebola kills, it’s horrific).

It is ironic because since President Obama acted decisively we forget about his actions since the disease never reached our shores BECAUSE OF WHAT HE DID.

Now the story of COVID-19 and Trump’s response that we know about thus far:

Before anyone even knew about the disease (even in China) Trump disbanded the pandemic response team that Obama had put in place. He cut funding to the CDC, and he cut our contribution to the World Health Organization (WHO).

Trump fired Rear Admiral Timothy Ziemer, the person on the National Security Council in charge of stopping the spread of infectious diseases before they reach our country - a position created by the Obama administration.

In June 2019, tRump cancelled the maintenance contrat for the supplies in the Strategic national Medical Stockpile, so today, a large number of the ventilators in the inventory DO NOT WORK BECAUSE THEY HAD NOT BEEN MAINTAINED. The stockpile includes many items with rubber and latex “seals” that deteriorate over time as well as medications that have expiration dates requiring that the expired stocks be disposed of AND REPLACED, but without the maintenance contract tRump cancelled none of that was done.

When the outbreak started in China, Trump assumed it was China’s problem and sent no research, supplies or help of any kind. We were in a trade war, why should he help them?

In January he received a briefing from our intelligence organizations that the outbreak was much worse than China was admitting and that it would definitely hit our country if something wasn’t done to prevent it. He ignored the report, not trusting our own intelligence. Insteaqd of believing our experts, Trump called Premier Xi and Xi told him everything was fine in China, and tRump sent China 17.4 TONS of PPE and other essential material even as he called Covid19 “the Chinese virus”.

When the disease spread to Europe, the World Health Organization offered a plethora of tests to the United States. Trump turned them down, saying private companies here would make the tests “better” if we needed them. However, he never ordered U.S. companies to make tests and they had no profit motive to do so on their own. tRump’s imaginary travel ban on the EU EXCLUDED the UK and Ireland, places where tRump has income properties

According to scientists at Yale and several public university medical schools, when they asked for permission to start working on our own testing protocol and potential treatments or vaccines, they were denied by Trump’s FDA.

When Trump knew about the first case in the United States he did nothing. It was just one case and the patient was isolated. When doctors and scientists started screaming in the media that this was a mistake, Trump claimed it was a “liberal hoax” conjured up to try to make him “look bad after impeachment failed.”

The next time Trump spoke of COVID-19, we had SIXTY-FOUR CONFIRMED CASES but Trump went before microphones and told the American public that we only had FIFTEEN cases “and pretty soon that number will be close to zero.” All while the disease was spreading, he took no action to get more tests.

What Trump did was to PRETEND TO stop flights from China from coming here. In reality, he continued to allow travel BY AMERICANS and other groups so over 430,000 travelers FROM CHINA arrived in the US after tRump’s imaginary “travel ban” including over 4,000 who arrived in the USA DIRECTLY FROM WUHAN, the epicenter of the pandemic. tRump’s actions were too little and too late and accomplished nothing according to scientists and doctors. By then the disease was worldwide and was already spreading exponentially in the U.S. by Americans, not Chinese people as Trump would like you to believe.

Trump has repeatedly REFUSED to purchase essential equipment and supplies on behalf of ALL th3e States, instead demanding each Governor bid against his neighbors, so the price of equipment is being bid up which slows the distribution of the equipment and maximizes the profits for the Corporate Oligarchs who control the supply.

Trump talked about the Defense Produiction Act for weeks before finally asking GM to manufacture ventilators. Ford and a few others have decided to begin making PPE and ventilators on their own, but TWO MONTHS have already elapsed since the need for these life saving devices was known and thousands will die needlessly because of fRumps inaction.

Because of tRump’s trying to blame Chinese for the disease, his supporters have been attacking Asian Americans all across our nation. Even more vile, his supporters are now making death threats against Dr Fauci because these cretins claim the good doctor is a member of the imaginary Deep State trying to undermine THEIR ToadPOTUS. The threats are serious enough that the Secret Service has added a personal protection detail to Dr Fauci. Trump has not spoken a WORD to denounce the murderous thugs who call him dear leader.

As of the moment I am posting this, the evening of April 6, 2020, we have 337,971 COVID-19 CONFIRMED CASES and 9,654 COVID-19 DEATHS in the U.S.A. The actual number is undoubtedly more than triple that amount.

As if you needed one more reason to vote out the psychopahic Toad, here it is.

Social Butterfly

Thanks, Olderscout. Nice job.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Social Butterfly

@AristotleOfGreece wrote:

In two separate interviews, Dr. Drew Pinsky, M.D., said the liberal media are "over-reacting" to coronavirus, do not know how to report on it, and have created a "hysteria." The "press needs to shut up," he said, adding that the measures taken by President Trump, the CDC, and Dr. Anthony Fauci are "appropriate" and should be heeded.

The "right people" are combating this virus, he said, stressing that Dr. Fauci, the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, "will tell you what's going on" and "when you need to worry." 

Dr. Drew on Coronavirus: Hysterical 'Press Needs to Shut Up,' Fauci, CDC, Trump Doing What's 'Approp... 

Dr. Drew is 100%. When you have magots on CNN, MSNBC, and ABC reporting medical stories, they simply do not know how to report these stories correctly.  

Dr. Drew has apologized for his ill-conceived comments.

NEW YORK (AP) — Celebrity doctor Drew Pinsky has apologized for a series of statements unspooled in a recent video where he downplayed the coronavirus and suggested that it was a “press-induced panic.”

“I wish I had gotten it right, but I got it wrong,” said Pinsky in a video posted over the weekend.

Read entire article.

Tell me again how Dr. Drew is 100% and the media do not know how to report it correctly.

Honored Social Butterfly

NEW YORK (AP) — Celebrity doctor Drew Pinsky has apologized for a series of statements unspooled in a recent video where he downplayed the coronavirus and suggested that it was a “press-induced panic.”

“I wish I had gotten it right, but I got it wrong,” said Pinsky in a video posted over the weekend.

Probably worried about lawsuits.

What if 1 million Americans sued Fox News in small claims court for $ 4,900.

What's the math on that guys?

$ 4,900,000.000 ?

Think Fox News could survive if they settled for 25% of the claim?

Honored Social Butterfly

200331 pyramid

Esteemed Social Butterfly

@AristotleOfGreece wrote:

Coronavirus death rate is lower than previously reported, study says 

Stories about the crisis are more exciting and good for ratings.

Take away a few hot spot cities in the United States, and the mainstream media has actually very little to talk about.

Dr. Drew? Celebrity Rehab, right?  Birds of a feather.

If the press "shuts up", than how will we know what the CDC and Dr. Fauci are telling us.

"When we need to worry"?!  Oh, they haven't told us that yet?

C'mon, this is a ludicrous supposition.  I don't think there is anything such as "overreacting" to this pandemic.  The U.S. is in this position because they didn't react enough.

Trusted Contributor

THE DISCREDITED FAKE NEWS MILLS SAID IT IS PRESIDENT TRUMP'S DAILY UPDATE THAT SHOULD STOPPED AND NOT AIRED.

Meanwhile, they have continued to televise it daily against their own SICKENING belief. One would expect that it is the evil propaganda arm of the evil opposite liberal left that would lead in their campaign of ABSURDITY against the active president performing his OFFICIAL duty to the American people. Of course they neither have the nerves, nor possess the mentality to be firm and sound. The opposite people are very very sick people.

THEY ARE NOT ABLE TO CARRY THROUGH WITH THEIR THREAT. THEY ENJOY AND LOVE TO COVER PRESIDENT TRUMP'S ACTIVITIES. THEY ARE COMMON HYPOCRITES, SIMPLE.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

443FB998-3A1C-4BBB-91D1-27B0BD3D7EA2.jpeg

A68E106B-7BF7-4896-9A83-2CE21BD0CE94.jpeg

Honored Social Butterfly

Even Trump agrees that this is going to get ugly before it is over.  I thin,k 100K deaths is a reasonable expectation.  I don't consider trying to keep the death rate and the sickness rate down overblown hysteria. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

Even Trump agrees that this is going to get ugly before it is over.  I thin,k 100K deaths is a reasonable expectation.  I don't consider trying to keep the death rate and the sickness rate down overblown hysteria. 

I agree all we can do is what we should do, but reality tell us, there's finite capacity in our response. Where the over blown hysteria comes into play is how people go off the deep end with boundless unrelenting criticism and innuendos, because of previously cultivated deeply seeded bias and hate for our president. 

Hate boxes you in and doesn't allow anyone to see the whole scope of the matter.

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@Richva wrote:

And he has been doing a great job responding to this problem.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I live in Missouri. On March 21th, 73 people tested positive. On March 30, 1,260 tested positive. In 10 days that is almost doubling the number of positive tests every day. As these numbers go up, so do the number of deaths related to COVID-19. Please don't tell me this is media hype. I believe it when medical professionals tell us (through the media, thank you), that up to 200,000 Americans could die from this pandemic. I don't tune into Trump's daily briefings (i.e. political rallies, adulation from CEOs and brown nosers), anymore because his boasts, lies, inane demands that governors show appreciation/be nice to him, and his constant reveral of previous statements he's made are causing me to be more and more upset with this administration's antics. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Ij9807492:   I live in Missouri. On March 21th, 73 people tested positive. On March 30, 1,260 tested positive. In 10 days that is almost doubling the number of positive tests every day. As these numbers go up, so do the number of deaths related to COVID-19. Please don't tell me this is media hype.

They don't care at all about any media hype, they care about how bad this ghastly pandemic is making Trump look worse by the day. As you said, as the numbers go up, so do the deaths, and that reminds people of Trump squandering six weeks trying to downplay it.

Bronze Conversationalist

@Panjandrum wrote:

Ij9807492:   I live in Missouri. On March 21th, 73 people tested positive. On March 30, 1,260 tested positive. In 10 days that is almost doubling the number of positive tests every day. As these numbers go up, so do the number of deaths related to COVID-19. Please don't tell me this is media hype.

They don't care at all about any media hype, they care about how bad this ghastly pandemic is making Trump look worse by the day. As you said, as the numbers go up, so do the deaths, and that reminds people of Trump squandering six weeks trying to downplay it.

Trump is doing everything humanly possible. Trump didn't mess up. Are you going to blame the leaders of Italy, the UK, France, China, South Korea for squandering? What about New York city leadership?

Trump has been prepared. A good example is setting up trucks and forks lifts to pick up the dead bodies outside of the Brooklyn hospital. Very prepared thinking.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Clueless would be an overstatement here. To say that trump has helped in any way is a total denial...trump is the problem, and why a 100,000 + may die... he certainly is not a solution!

Honored Social Butterfly

williamb:  Clueless would be an overstatement here. To say that trump has helped in any way is a total denial...trump is the problem, and why a 100,000 + may die... he certainly is not a solution!

All I can say is that it's extremely easy to guess where folks get their news.

Bronze Conversationalist

@Panjandrum wrote:

williamb:  Clueless would be an overstatement here. To say that trump has helped in any way is a total denial...trump is the problem, and why a 100,000 + may die... he certainly is not a solution!

All I can say is that it's extremely easy to guess where folks get their news.

What exactly do you suggest? Military tanks driving throughout the streets? Marshall law?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Moscow45:  What exactly do you suggest? Military tanks driving throughout the streets? Marshall law?

What makes you think we're going to see tanks in our streets or Marshall law?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png