Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Cops Kill White Student With Multi-Purpose Tool

Message 51 of 68

@GailL1 wrote:

Sorry, Centristin2010, I cannot respond to you in your format - easier for you - but harder for the responder.Fair nuff.

@Centristin2010 wrote:

Wouldn't have hurt had the crops spread out....call for more help.....or other technique like taze him, etc.  Shooting to kill him wasn't the only, or best alternative.  IMO, that's kinda the point.

Did you read the ABCNews link in my post?  No.

There were several officers in the pack, In the video I thought I saw 3, but they weren't spread out very far.  Heck, you have your guns trained on him.....spread out.....he can't get all 3 if that's his intent and the other 2 will protect the one he does go after, if he indeed does.  Doesn't that make sense?  in the video you can see the student approaching one officer and then turning to go to another. I believe that the APD was also present. Somebody should have had a taser.....This was the Georgia Tech campus police.  They are highly regarded on the campus and there are many of them since this is an inner city campus which recently has had many armed robberies and breakins - on and off campus where many student live.  Highly regarded....maybe.....obviously not in these types of situations.  My only point is we can do better; we should do better.....

Perhaps they should have all just rushed him but remember he himself made the 911 call and told the operator that the person was armed with a knife and a gun.  I'm not suggesting rushing him...that doesn't usually turn out to well.   Cops normally aren't heros especially with their own lives - they have families they want to go home to -  No question....but are you saying, "hey, let's just put this guy out of his misery so we can all go home"?  I hope not....  This guy also had a family that wanted to see him as well and I'd bet they thought law enforcement would keep him out of harms way.

I am only talking about this one incident - This guy was determined to "die by cop"; there were (3) suicide notes in his home.  He was mentally ill....doesn't it matter?  20% of all police killings in the US are mental health related....shouldn't we find a better solution?  We CAN do better.....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 68

Sorry, Centristin2010, I cannot respond to you in your format - easier for you - but harder for the responder.

Centristin2010 wrote:

Wouldn't have hurt had the crops spread out....call for more help.....or other technique like taze him, etc.  Shooting to kill him wasn't the only, or best alternative.  IMO, that's kinda the point.

Did you read the ABCNews link in my post?

There were several officers in the pack, in the video you can see the student approaching one officer and then turning to go to another. I believe that the APD was also present. This was the Georgia Tech campus police.  They are highly regarded on the campus and there are many of them since this is an inner city campus which recently has had many armed robberies and breakins - on and off campus where many student live.

Perhaps they should have all just rushed him but remember he himself made the 911 call and told the operator that the person was armed with a knife and a gun.  Cops normally aren't heros especially with their own lives - they have families they want to go home to -

I am only talking about this one incident - This guy was determined to "die by cop"; there were (3) suicide notes in his home. 

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 68

@GailL1 wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

Cops Kill White Student With Multi-Purpose Tool

Why didn't the cops use non lethal force to subdue this student?

Even if they used guns, why didn't they shoot him in the foot or the leg?

Why is it always shoot to kill?

ABCNews: Experts on Why Police Aren't Trained to Shoot to Wound

I have a friend who is a local policeman.  He is young, Military training, very fit- Cross fit daily, swims, runs, karate and other types of fighting.  With all of this, he was shot recently on the job because he thought he could take this person out before he got off a round.  Thankfully he wasn't hurt worse.  He did take the person out but was wounded.  Could have been worse.

Now I think of some other policemen and policewomen whom I know and most of them Do not appear to be in the best shape to even attempt this.  Perhaps it would be feasible to make police officers stay physically fit, testing them yearly but alas, we probably would have too many on desk duty while trying to become fit.  Then what would we do with them as they age and arthritis begins to set in.

Many believe cops are extremely well-trained....we know they're pretty good with the side arm.  Though, the State, the City of St. Paul, as well as the police union all said the cop, wasn't trained enough on de-esculating situations, even having been on the force for over 4 years.  Well, if you can't de-esculate a situation, you better **bleep** sure to be able to shoot and kill someone.  It's easy to see the priority.

Glad to hear your friend is OK, Gail.  IMO, the police should use their advantage of numbers, communication and experience.  Cops have the ability to wait for backup and define the assistance they need....I don't know if that applies to the situation your friend was engaged, but that's why, IMO, not every cop needs to be "cross-fit" (though it's a good idea for their safety).

in this particular case, it appears to be a suicide death by cop since the young man went out of his way to set this whole thing up just as it played out.  I agree.  The video shows him advancing towards the policemen with them pleading with him to put down the weapon.  Yep.  I agree.  Wouldn't have hurt had the crops spread out....call for more help.....or other technique like taze him, etc.  Shooting to kill him wasn't the only, or best alternative.  IMO, that's kinda the point.    

How should police determine the mental state of those to whom they might have dealings?  It use to be that cops would know in person the majority of people to whom they came in contact but there are too many people, especially in larger cities, for this to be the case anymore.  Community policing should be a priority and as posted earlier, cities are trying a new "card" that has a chip in it that alerts law enforcement of an autistic person in the near vacinity.  It doesn't ID the individual, but let's the police know someone with whatever condition is indicated, is near and anticipate there may be a unique situation occurring.  The law enforcement officers where a small receiver that picks up the signal and ID's the "condition".  It's $9.95 per month and is being used in several cities.....St Paul is one.

Should all people with mental health issues go on some sort of registry so that this info is available anytime there is a happening?  They should be already for gun purchases checks.  Don't think that would work. It's working now to a degree.

More cops are needed; they need to be better trained; they need to engage in more Community policing and we need to improve our mental healthcare services......all will cost more denaro....Conservatives don't like it.  Their preference is, "shoot, just kill em."

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 68

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

That is my question too,   Why is it always 'shoot to kill'?

Cops are not told to "shoot to kill".  Instead they are taught that when using a handgun which has nowhere near the accuracy of a rifle, to shoot aiming at the torso (the biggest target).  If a policeman fears for his/her life, they want the person disabled as quick as possible to prevent harm to themselves.  The shoot his arm or leg is only fantasy on TV and movies.

Cops are trained to "shoot to stop", which for some reasons, like in the case of Philando Castille, seemed to mean shooting him SEVEN TIMES!!!  Or FIVE TIMES at point blank range in the St. Louis case, including one, six inches away from the victims head.

Yes and a person doesn't necessarily stop and fall instantly when shot so the policeman will shoot until they stop or keep shooting while the adrenalin is pumping.  Well I'm glad to see you admit the cops mental state is part of the issue and not the actions of the soon to be dead victim.  Of course when one shoots seven shoots in under 30 seconds, there isn't much opportunity for the victim to surrender or fall.....

Some don't stop even when the police empty their weapon in them.  Don't over analyze it, you weren't there and neither was I.  Which is why I don't excuse it like you do.  You weren't there as you say, BUT, you give the cops the benefit of the doubt.....every single time.  Which is why we have riots and the Conservatives whine.....and the cycle continues.....

We have riots because the left likes to riot, vandalize, and cause general mayhem. Really?  I had no idea.....let's check, shall we?  Who here on the forum from what NOT calls, "the Left", likes to riot and vandalize?  Please weigh in.  I think NOT's comment is just another of the constant gratuitous comments he and other Conservatives post, with no references, no links to factual information, just the usual Conservative garbage we hear from Hannity, Coulter, Limblah and FoxNews.....and in NOT's case, CBS, since that's the only place he get's his news.....so he has claimed.

I don't expect the left to change its MO and fully expect more to come. To use your logic demonstrated, we can surmise, "we have unnecessary killings of blacks and other races by cops because the Right likes the KKK, White Supremacists, White Nationalists and Nazi's and their message that whites are the superior race."

Gee NOT, I had no idea it was so easy to post asinine, politically bigoted and factually incorrect information.  I appreciate the "heads-up". 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 68

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

Cops are not told to "shoot to kill".  Instead they are taught that when using a handgun which has nowhere near the accuracy of a rifle, to shoot aiming at the torso (the biggest target).  If a policeman fears for his/her life, they want the person disabled as quick as possible to prevent harm to themselves.  The shoot his arm or leg is only fantasy on TV and movies.

The victim did look intimidating, and im sure his little toy had a couple cops peeing themselves in fear. And yes, he was suicidal. i would think someone saying "shoot me" has a screw loose. But then, thats just me.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 68
Not just terrorists, remember it was for arming against a government that took away your rights. But when th black panthers armed themselves because of police shootings, reagan took their guns with the support of the NRA.

We will see more gun battles in areas that permit open carry.
So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 68

@gruffstuff wrote:

ABCNews: Experts on Why Police Aren't Trained to Shoot to Wound

I have a friend who is a local policeman.  He is young, Military training, very fit- Cross fit daily, swims, runs, karate and other types of fighting.  With all of this, he was shot recently on the job because he thought he could take this person out before he got off a round.  Thankfully he wasn't hurt worse.  He did take the person out but was wounded.  Could have been worse.

Now I think of some other policemen and policewomen whom I know and most of them Do not appear to be in the best shape to even attempt this.  Perhaps it would be feasible to make police officers stay physically fit, testing them yearly but alas, we probably would have too many on desk duty while trying to become fit.  Then what would we do with them as they age and arthritis begins to set in.

in this particular case, it appears to be a suicide death by cop since the young man went out of his way to set this whole thing up just as it played out.  The video shows him advancing towards the policemen with them pleading with him to put down the weapon.    

How should police determine the mental state of those to whom they might have dealings?  It use to be that cops would know in person the majority of people to whom they came in contact but there are too many people, especially in larger cities, for this to be the case anymore.

Should all people with mental health issues go on some sort of registry so that this info is available anytime there is a happening?  Don't think that would work.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 68

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

Cops are trained to "shoot to stop", which for some reasons, like in the case of Philando Castille, seemed to mean shooting him SEVEN TIMES!!!  Or FIVE TIMES at point blank range in the St. Louis case, including one, six inches away from the victims head.

Yes and a person doesn't necessarily stop and fall instantly when shot so the policeman will shoot until they stop or keep shooting while the adrenalin is pumping.  Well I'm glad to see you admit the cops mental state is part of the issue and not the actions of the soon to be dead victim.  Of course when one shoots seven shoots in under 30 seconds, there isn't much opportunity for the victim to surrender or fall.....

Some don't stop even when the police empty their weapon in them.  Don't over analyze it, you weren't there and neither was I.  Which is why I don't excuse it like you do.  You weren't there as you say, BUT, you give the cops the benefit of the doubt.....every single time.  Which is why we have riots and the Conservatives whine.....and the cycle continues.....

We have riots because the left likes to riot, vandalize, and cause general mayhem.  I don't expect the left to change its MO and fully expect more to come.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 68

The killing by police will continue as long as people give them cover, aka allow their excuses.     One has to wonder about the mental makeup of a person who kills and then has to justify that they killed an individual who could not have harmed them.   

the longer that the excuse :  i feared for my life excuse is deemed acceptable by society, the more people that will have this sort of tragic end to their life.    

One could postulate that because the NRA and it's 2nd Amendment argument  that everyone should have a gun at all times  "to protect against terrorist", they more that this will happen.    When it happens to someone that promotes the NRA rhetoric, should I feel sympathy?     

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 68

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors