Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Cops Kill White Student With Multi-Purpose Tool

Message 41 of 68

Why is it that even when there are surveillance tapes showing clearly that a cop killed someone unnecessarily, most from the Right here will never admit that it could/should have been handled in a way where there was no life lost?

Sadly and sickeningly amazing.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 68

@rk9152 wrote:

As I understand it, there is a poll as to whether or not the left is behind most rioting - my vote is "aye".

Now, this case. It appears that it was a tragedy. An avoidable tragedy? I don't know I was not there, I didn't see and not see what the officer saw and didn't see.

But how sad it is that such a terrible tragedy that didn't start with the shooting but ended with it has to be looked at as just one more opportunity to play politics and do the "bad cops" thing. 

Of course  you would vote "aye", once again reflecting exactly the opinion of the Alt-Right.

Did you not see the news video of this happening? There was not reason why four or five officers could not physically take the guy down without killing him.

The Right whines, the cycle continues.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 68

@GailL1 wrote:

Centristin2010 wrote

cities are trying a new "card" that has a chip in it that alerts law enforcement of an autistic person in the near vacinity.  It doesn't ID the individual, but let's the police know someone with whatever condition is indicated, is near and anticipate there may be a unique situation occurring.  The law enforcement officers where a small receiver that picks up the signal and ID's the "condition".  It's $9.95 per month and is being used in several cities.....St Paul is one.

If that is the VITALS app then I believe that it does identify the individual because the guardian or the person in charge of the person has to input the profile on the individual.   I'm not sure.....I'm trying to find out for sure....it might be.

Sure it can be used for just about anything that responders might need to know but somebody has to input the profile and some who are adults on their own, suffering from something might not do that.

Yeah?  <smile>  Why look for reasons not to do something positive?  It may not capture 100% of the "at-risk" population, but that isn't a good or valid reason not to use it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Centristin2010 wrote:

Should all people with mental health issues go on some sort of registry so that this info is available anytime there is a happening?  They should be already for gun purchases checks.  Don't think that would work. It's working now to a degree.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are millions of people who suffer mental illness - long term or sporadically - who have never had to be adjudicated - it is only the adjudicated ones that lose their right to buy a gun.  But they can still buy other weapons or things they can use as such.  Yes, it's a complex issue which means many areas need to be addressed.....like better police training/awareness.

Centristin 2010 wrote

More cops are needed; they need to be better trained; they need to engage in more Community policing and we need to improve our mental healthcare services......all will cost more denaro....Conservatives don't like it.  Their preference is, "shoot, just kill em."

More cops - perhaps if it was a more sought after career - I think for those who have thought about it, now might have changed their mind.  Maybe, enrollment in police training course here in Minnesota is at a high pace.  Depends on salary, working conditions, etc.  Is recruiting an issue in Hot `Lanta?

Better training - perhaps if the pay was better - The pay should be better, but I don't understand the correlation between pay and traioning.  Do you think cops are saying, I'll accept more training if you pay me more?  IMO, cops doing their part to weed out the bad ones would certainly reduce the risk for the good one's.  Additionally, weeding out the bad one's would mean fewer lawsuit settlements which would save money.....which could be used to increase pay.

Community policing - perhaps, kind of hard for a cop on a huge university campus to know all the students. <chuckle>  Community policing is about knowing more people, not everyone.  Someone knew this guy was a loose cannon.....they may not have told anyone.  I do find it worthy of a chuckle that you attempted to dismiss any suggestions, without much thought and didn't offer any yourself.  Are you a "Just gun them down" kind of citizen?

Perhaps the ticket is to have smaller (whatever) - communities, schools, cities, - where people know people - not sure that will ever be again at least in most places.  That just means even MORE cops which you dismissed earlier.

Not trying to bust your chops, Gail....too much respect here, but too many Americans, especially on the Conservative/Libertarian side just shrug...."no big deal".  IMO, the greatest country in the world (or so we like to claim), is too impotent to handle these issues?  If so, shame on us.....the so-called, "Christian" nation.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 68

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

Cops Kill White Student With Multi-Purpose Tool

Why didn't the cops use non lethal force to subdue this student?

Even if they used guns, why didn't they shoot him in the foot or the leg?

Why is it always shoot to kill?

That is my question too,   Why is it always 'shoot to kill'?

Cops are not told to "shoot to kill".  Instead they are taught that when using a handgun which has nowhere near the accuracy of a rifle, to shoot aiming at the torso (the biggest target).  If a policeman fears for his/her life, they want the person disabled as quick as possible to prevent harm to themselves.  The shoot his arm or leg is only fantasy on TV and movies.

Cops are trained to "shoot to stop", which for some reasons, like in the case of Philando Castille, seemed to mean shooting him SEVEN TIMES!!!  Or FIVE TIMES at point blank range in the St. Louis case, including one, six inches away from the victims head.

Yes and a person doesn't necessarily stop and fall instantly when shot so the policeman will shoot until they stop or keep shooting while the adrenalin is pumping.  Well I'm glad to see you admit the cops mental state is part of the issue and not the actions of the soon to be dead victim.  Of course when one shoots seven shoots in under 30 seconds, there isn't much opportunity for the victim to surrender or fall.....

Some don't stop even when the police empty their weapon in them.  Don't over analyze it, you weren't there and neither was I.  Which is why I don't excuse it like you do.  You weren't there as you say, BUT, you give the cops the benefit of the doubt.....every single time.  Which is why we have riots and the Conservatives whine.....and the cycle continues.....

We have riots because the left likes to riot, vandalize, and cause general mayhem.  I don't expect the left to change its MO and fully expect more to come.

Yep, the right whines and the cycle continues .................

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 68

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

Cops Kill White Student With Multi-Purpose Tool

Why didn't the cops use non lethal force to subdue this student?

Even if they used guns, why didn't they shoot him in the foot or the leg?

Why is it always shoot to kill?

That is my question too,   Why is it always 'shoot to kill'?

Cops are not told to "shoot to kill".  Instead they are taught that when using a handgun which has nowhere near the accuracy of a rifle, to shoot aiming at the torso (the biggest target).  If a policeman fears for his/her life, they want the person disabled as quick as possible to prevent harm to themselves.  The shoot his arm or leg is only fantasy on TV and movies.

Cops are trained to "shoot to stop", which for some reasons, like in the case of Philando Castille, seemed to mean shooting him SEVEN TIMES!!!  Or FIVE TIMES at point blank range in the St. Louis case, including one, six inches away from the victims head.

Yes and a person doesn't necessarily stop and fall instantly when shot so the policeman will shoot until they stop or keep shooting while the adrenalin is pumping.  Some don't stop even when the police empty their weapon in them.  Don't over analyze it, you weren't there and neither was I.  If you or I were there, we might have done the same thing in fear for our lives?

You may have because you just said so, let others speak for themselves.  What about this kid with the multi-tool, do believe that shooting and killing him was the right thing to do? No dodge, yes or no is easy enough.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 68

@rk9152 wrote:

As I understand it, there is a poll as to whether or not the left is behind most rioting - my vote is "aye".  Actually the poll was about does "the Left" like to riot and vandalize.  If aye is correct, given there are 80 million "on the left", ther sure would be a LOT of riots and vandalizing and we all know, there aren't many at all.  In fact, the last one where people were killed was a right-wing riot.  Just saying.....

....but your vote is duly noted.

Now, this case. It appears that it was a tragedy. An avoidable tragedy? I don't know I was not there, I didn't see and not see what the officer saw and didn't see.  

But how sad it is that such a terrible tragedy that didn't start with the shooting but ended with it has to be looked at as just one more opportunity to play politics and do the "bad cops" thing.  Another lie, "rk".  No one said anything about "bad cops", just that we could do better.

You earned two Pinocchio's again.....

Image result for two pinocchios

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 68

@MIseker wrote:

suicide by cop. arm yourself with a small knife and call the cops knowing they will kill you. something wrong with that.

Even though he identified himself on the 911 call, the police did not know it was the same person.  

He was as the caller (himself) said in dress an appearance.  the caller said the person was armed with a knife and a gun and could be intoxicated.

There have been several recent, violent robbery assaults and break-ins in the area, so police presence is heightened in the general area.  

The 911 call and the (3) suicide notes found in his room gave a good indication of how he set this up.  

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 68

@GailL1 wrote:

Sorry, Centristin2010, I cannot respond to you in your format - easier for you - but harder for the responder.

@Centristin2010 wrote:

Wouldn't have hurt had the crops spread out....call for more help.....or other technique like taze him, etc.  Shooting to kill him wasn't the only, or best alternative.  IMO, that's kinda the point.

Did you read the ABCNews link in my post?

There were several officers in the pack, in the video you can see the student approaching one officer and then turning to go to another. I believe that the APD was also present. This was the Georgia Tech campus police.  They are highly regarded on the campus and there are many of them since this is an inner city campus which recently has had many armed robberies and breakins - on and off campus where many student live.

Perhaps they should have all just rushed him but remember he himself made the 911 call and told the operator that the person was armed with a knife and a gun.  Cops normally aren't heros especially with their own lives - they have families they want to go home to -

I am only talking about this one incident - This guy was determined to "die by cop"; there were (3) suicide notes in his home. 

suicide by cop. arm yourself with a small knife and call the cops knowing they will kill you. something wrong with that.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 68

Centristin2010 wrote

cities are trying a new "card" that has a chip in it that alerts law enforcement of an autistic person in the near vacinity.  It doesn't ID the individual, but let's the police know someone with whatever condition is indicated, is near and anticipate there may be a unique situation occurring.  The law enforcement officers where a small receiver that picks up the signal and ID's the "condition".  It's $9.95 per month and is being used in several cities.....St Paul is one.

If that is the VITALS app then I believe that it does identify the individual because the guardian or the person in charge of the person has to input the profile on the individual. 

Sure it can be used for just about anything that responders might need to know but somebody has to input the profile and some who are adults on their own, suffering from something might not do that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Centristin2010 wrote:

Should all people with mental health issues go on some sort of registry so that this info is available anytime there is a happening?  They should be already for gun purchases checks.  Don't think that would work. It's working now to a degree.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are millions of people who suffer mental illness - long term or sporadically - who have never had to be adjudicated - it is only the adjudicated ones that lose their right to buy a gun.  But they can still buy other weapons or things they can use as such.

Centristin 2010 wrote

More cops are needed; they need to be better trained; they need to engage in more Community policing and we need to improve our mental healthcare services......all will cost more denaro....Conservatives don't like it.  Their preference is, "shoot, just kill em."

More cops - perhaps if it was a more sought after career - I think for those who have thought about it, now might have changed their mind.

Better training - perhaps if the pay was better -

Community policing - perhaps, kind of hard for a cop on a huge university campus to know all the students. 

Perhaps the ticket is to have smaller (whatever) - communities, schools, cities, - where people know people - not sure that will ever be again at least in most places.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 68

As I understand it, there is a poll as to whether or not the left is behind most rioting - my vote is "aye".

But how sad it is that such a terrible tragedy that didn't start with the shooting but ended with it has to be looked at as just one more opportunity to play politics and do the "bad cops" thing. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors