Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Cops Kill White Student With Multi-Purpose Tool

Message 31 of 68

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Why is it that even when there are surveillance tapes showing clearly that a cop killed someone unnecessarily, most from the Right here will never admit that it could/should have been handled in a way where there was no life lost?

Sadly and sickeningly amazing.

So true, Chaz, so true.  And let's not forget many Conservatives are considered the "religious right".....so caring; so compassionate.....the "Right to Lifers"......wolves in sheep's clothing.

Sweet!!! Take a tragedy and use it to exhibit religious bigotry. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 68

@rk9152 wrote:

Yes, there are non-lethal options that can be tried however even that doesn't always work.

Basically, I am in favor of trying all available options but if it comes down to a life must  be lost, I do not want it to be the police officer's.

This guy had no firearm, the odds of a policeman losing their life was slim to non-existent. All non-lethal options weren't tried, actually none. There was no reason to shoot and kill this kid.  In light of that, yes this is a bad (or simply incompetent) cop.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 68

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Why is it that even when there are surveillance tapes showing clearly that a cop killed someone unnecessarily, most from the Right here will never admit that it could/should have been handled in a way where there was no life lost?

I have not seen anyone say it couldn't have been handled differently or better. All I have seen is "bad cop, bad cop" and "I can't make such a determination not having been there".

It truly is sad and sickening how some will take a tragedy such this and use it as a political weapon and the opportunity to say something about those of a different political persuasion are "whining".

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 68

@GailL1 wrote:

I try not to put myself in the situation of it ever being a concern.  Perhaps others should do the same.

Well ain't that all fine and dandy!  Tell this kid that.  Ignore it and it will go away?

We all have a responsibility to play a part in making our society better for all of us and our children. Instead of putting my head in the sand I believe in writing and calling Congress critters and voicing my concerns about police violence and unnecessary deaths. Collectively we can make a difference.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 68

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

As I understand it, there is a poll as to whether or not the left is behind most rioting - my vote is "aye".

Now, this case. It appears that it was a tragedy. An avoidable tragedy? I don't know I was not there, I didn't see and not see what the officer saw and didn't see.

But how sad it is that such a terrible tragedy that didn't start with the shooting but ended with it has to be looked at as just one more opportunity to play politics and do the "bad cops" thing. 

Of course  you would vote "aye", once again reflecting exactly the opinion of the Alt-Right.

Again, just throwing words and terms around willy-nilly without regard to meaning. Where in any "alt-right manifesto" does it say anything about those on the left liking to riot?

Did you not see the news video of this happening? There was not reason why four or five officers could not physically take the guy down without killing him.

I am not in a position to rule on that, I assume there is some official agency or board to deal with it. Sounds like you are saying, "bad cop, bad cop". 

The Right whines, the cycle continues.

Amother favorite word to just toss out - what "whining" have you read??

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 68

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

As I understand it, there is a poll as to whether or not the left is behind most rioting - my vote is "aye".  Actually the poll was about does "the Left" like to riot and vandalize.  If aye is correct, given there are 80 million "on the left", ther sure would be a LOT of riots and vandalizing and we all know, there aren't many at all.  In fact, the last one where people were killed was a right-wing riot.  Just saying.....

....but your vote is duly noted.

Thank you for the "noting".

While you are "just saying" you might want to "just say" with a bit of specificity (hint: a nut in a car does not qualify as a rioter) . Yes, there are many on the left - but I, apparently as opposed to you, do not consider them all violent.

Now, this case. It appears that it was a tragedy. An avoidable tragedy? I don't know I was not there, I didn't see and not see what the officer saw and didn't see.  

But how sad it is that such a terrible tragedy that didn't start with the shooting but ended with it has to be looked at as just one more opportunity to play politics and do the "bad cops" thing.  Another lie, "rk".  No one said anything about "bad cops", just that we could do better.

You earned two Pinocchio's again.....

Image result for two pinocchios

Is your point that the officer was wrong in killing him. If "yes" - the Pinocchios disappear.

Just saying......

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 68

@MIseker wrote:

suicide by cop. arm yourself with a small knife and call the cops knowing they will kill you. something wrong with that.

True. But the answer has to be something more than, "bad cop, bad cop". The idea of the chip that has been mentioned is a good one. However, the potential still exists for a police officer to be confronted with the sort of person you are describing. Yes, there are non-lethal options that can be tried however even that doesn't always work.

Basically, I am in favor of trying all available options but if it comes down to a life must  be lost, I do not want it to be the police officer's.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 68

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

Centristin2010 wrote

cities are trying a new "card" that has a chip in it that alerts law enforcement of an autistic person in the near vacinity.  It doesn't ID the individual, but let's the police know someone with whatever condition is indicated, is near and anticipate there may be a unique situation occurring.  The law enforcement officers where a small receiver that picks up the signal and ID's the "condition".  It's $9.95 per month and is being used in several cities.....St Paul is one.

If that is the VITALS app then I believe that it does identify the individual because the guardian or the person in charge of the person has to input the profile on the individual.   I'm not sure.....I'm trying to find out for sure....it might be.

This is the VITALS

http://www.ausm.org/resources/resource-directory-2/item/vvitals-vulnerable-individuals-technology-as...

Sure it can be used for just about anything that responders might need to know but somebody has to input the profile and some who are adults on their own, suffering from something might not do that.

Yeah?  <smile>  Why look for reasons not to do something positive?  It may not capture 100% of the "at-risk" population, but that isn't a good or valid reason not to use it.

I din't say that it wasn't valuable for those who opt to use it or their guardian.  I'm saying that the use is just limited.  But maybe you would want other to have to have their profile added - like through legislation.  Seems some rights would be violated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Centristin2010 wrote:

Should all people with mental health issues go on some sort of registry so that this info is available anytime there is a happening?  They should be already for gun purchases checks.  Don't think that would work. It's working now to a degree.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are millions of people who suffer mental illness - long term or sporadically - who have never had to be adjudicated - it is only the adjudicated ones that lose their right to buy a gun.  But they can still buy other weapons or things they can use as such.  Yes, it's a complex issue which means many areas need to be addressed.....like better police training/awareness.

Perhaps walking in their shoes for a period would give you more incite into all the crazy (crazy, meaning weird, out of the norm) things that people do and get themselves into trouble.  From domestic violence cases to child abuse, to people coming after them with weapons of all type - look at some of the sick stuff people do in the headlines DAILY.  Would you want to deal with this day in and day out?  No me, not for all the money in the world.  So better training and more awareness is what ?  Gonna make them think twice before using deadly force.  I just don't see training/awareness as a pre-requisite for all the sick, stupid and hurtful things they see and have to react to everyday.

Centristin 2010 wrote

More cops are needed; they need to be better trained; they need to engage in more Community policing and we need to improve our mental healthcare services......all will cost more denaro....Conservatives don't like it.  Their preference is, "shoot, just kill em."

More cops - perhaps if it was a more sought after career - I think for those who have thought about it, now might have changed their mind.  Maybe, enrollment in police training course here in Minnesota is at a high pace.  Depends on salary, working conditions, etc.  Is recruiting an issue in Hot `Lanta?

Atlanta covers a lot of jurisdictions - for the city itself, I think they just graduated a pretty big class.  Then within the city there are many universities and colleges and most of them have their own force -

Better training - perhaps if the pay was better - The pay should be better, but I don't understand the correlation between pay and traioning.  Do you think cops are saying, I'll accept more training if you pay me more?  IMO, cops doing their part to weed out the bad ones would certainly reduce the risk for the good one's.  Additionally, weeding out the bad one's would mean fewer lawsuit settlements which would save money.....which could be used to increase pay.

If the pay isn't good then why even go into the profession especially with such a threat to ones life.

Community policing - perhaps, kind of hard for a cop on a huge university campus to know all the students. <chuckle>  Community policing is about knowing more people, not everyone.  Someone knew this guy was a loose cannon.....they may not have told anyone.  I do find it worthy of a chuckle that you attempted to dismiss any suggestions, without much thought and didn't offer any yourself.  Are you a "Just gun them down" kind of citizen?

Yes someone did know - his parents.  He tried suicide two-years ago per his mother.

You know, Centristin2010, none of this would have occurred if he had not made the 911 call alerting the police to himself. 

Perhaps the ticket is to have smaller (whatever) - communities, schools, cities, - where people know people - not sure that will ever be again at least in most places.  That just means even MORE cops which you dismissed earlier.

Not trying to bust your chops, Gail....too much respect here, but too many Americans, especially on the Conservative/Libertarian side just shrug...."no big deal".  IMO, the greatest country in the world (or so we like to claim), is too impotent to handle these issues?  If so, shame on us.....the so-called, "Christian" nation.

I am not saying that it is not a big deal I do not see anyway of training a police officer for all the many different situation which may occur.  Some are bad cops and they should be gotten ride of pronto but most of the others don't want to take a life if they can help it but they have to protect the public and themselves and sometimes that is a spur of the minute decision -

I try not to put myself in the situation of it ever being a concern.  Perhaps others should do the same.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 68

@ChasKy53 wrote:

So true, Chaz, so true.  And let's not forget many Conservatives are considered the "religious right".....so caring; so compassionate.....the "Right to Lifers"......wolves in sheep's clothing.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 68

@MIseker wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

Sorry, Centristin2010, I cannot respond to you in your format - easier for you - but harder for the responder.

@Centristin2010 wrote:

Wouldn't have hurt had the crops spread out....call for more help.....or other technique like taze him, etc.  Shooting to kill him wasn't the only, or best alternative.  IMO, that's kinda the point.

Did you read the ABCNews link in my post?

There were several officers in the pack, in the video you can see the student approaching one officer and then turning to go to another. I believe that the APD was also present. This was the Georgia Tech campus police.  They are highly regarded on the campus and there are many of them since this is an inner city campus which recently has had many armed robberies and breakins - on and off campus where many student live.

Perhaps they should have all just rushed him but remember he himself made the 911 call and told the operator that the person was armed with a knife and a gun.  Cops normally aren't heros especially with their own lives - they have families they want to go home to -

I am only talking about this one incident - This guy was determined to "die by cop"; there were (3) suicide notes in his home. 

suicide by cop. arm yourself with a small knife and call the cops knowing they will kill you. something wrong with that.

There

@MIseker wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

Sorry, Centristin2010, I cannot respond to you in your format - easier for you - but harder for the responder.

@Centristin2010 wrote:

Wouldn't have hurt had the crops spread out....call for more help.....or other technique like taze him, etc.  Shooting to kill him wasn't the only, or best alternative.  IMO, that's kinda the point.

Did you read the ABCNews link in my post?

There were several officers in the pack, in the video you can see the student approaching one officer and then turning to go to another. I believe that the APD was also present. This was the Georgia Tech campus police.  They are highly regarded on the campus and there are many of them since this is an inner city campus which recently has had many armed robberies and breakins - on and off campus where many student live.

Perhaps they should have all just rushed him but remember he himself made the 911 call and told the operator that the person was armed with a knife and a gun.  Cops normally aren't heros especially with their own lives - they have families they want to go home to -

I am only talking about this one incident - This guy was determined to "die by cop"; there were (3) suicide notes in his home. 

There's actually a surprisingly high number of "suicide by cop" killings in the US each year.  If we were truly a compassionate society, like we claim, we'd address this problem.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors