Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Consequence of Climate Change on Water Supply

Message 1 of 21

retiredtraveler--I did know that you were an environmental activist, which is why I am confused when you seem to convey a "there's nothing we can do about attitude." 

Ok. Last post so I quit belaboring the issue. It's not an attitude of 'nothing we can do'. It's knowing that people do not do these things. We are pushed back on every initiative by so any people.

Just look around. Look at all the trucks on the road. Look at all the plastic bags being taken out of stores rather than reusables. Recycling plateaued years ago. Look at all the people fertilizing and watering grass. How many people you know keep their house temp no higher than 62 in the winter and wear a sweater as they do in other countries?

There are so many things people can do, but won't. That's why nothing will change. I'm anti large government and know that things won't change until people handle these isses themselves.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 21

@nyadrn wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@umbarch64 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

You must understand the conservative mind set. 

• If you don't accept the data about global warming, it won't happen. 
  • If you stop journalists from reporting about your incompetence, you must be competent. 
  • If you unplug your smoke detector, you can never have a fire. 

See? Easy. 

Yeahhhh.....silly me....I knew that, what was I thinking?

Well now I guess I can't take your post seriously.  You caved to the "politics" after the first post. : )

Ha! You got the point.

No,  I was taking the poster at their word...  "  I was tempted to be "caustic" when I said that, but resisted, the subject is too important to be diminished in any way by what I say about it."  

Guess it was too hard to resist or not as important..  too bad.

I think I understand your point.  IF you truly mean what you said candidly, I accept your criticism.  Read the issue for content, though, it is worth your time. Having done that, IF you wish to open a real discussion on merit, leave a post.  I'll check the post box under the topic from time to time.  This thing strayed into the political arena long ago and it doesn't belong there.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 21

Every time you hear a Republican propose "Individual Responsibility" to solve ANY problem, replace those words with "Unregulated Screwing of Your Neighbors", and you'll understand what they REALLY want.

We're nearly oil independant thanks to fracking, BUT every fracking well uses 1.5 MILLION GALLONS of pure water every day, and there's over 150,000 fracking wells so we turn 225 BILLION gallons of pure water into toxic sludge EVERY DAY. Right now, the cheapest way to deal with all that toxic water is to pump it into REALLY deep wells, which means it's totally removed from the system FOREVER.

There are alternatives, but because Republicans refuse to regulate anything, we'll continue to loose forever enough pure water to fill 340,687 Olympic Swimming Pools EVERY DAY.

The solution is to force the frackers to clean (or reuse) the water - we already know exactly how to do it, it's just expensive, so nobody doing fracking is going to do it out of the goodness of their heart.

OR (get this) we could repeal the Reagan taxscam and have The Government build and operate the water detoxification plants for a reasonable fee - enough to operate the plant - as a National Defense project, just like we built and maintained the InterState Highways.

The REAL question about how to solve our water problems is WHO WILL PAY?

The only choices are: The Ones Who Can Afford It WITHOUT changing their lifestyle by paying the same tax rates their predecessors did from 1936 until 1986, OR everybody else will pay as our farms dry up and blow away like they did in the 1930's.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 21

@retiredtraveler wrote:

What is the solution?  Individual responsibility. 100 million people doing the same types of things.  

Kind of like you should have the right to decide if you want to hook up to the municipal sewer system or have an outhouse in the back yard? Individual responsibility. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 21

retiredtraveler--I did know that you were an environmental activist, which is why I am confused when you seem to convey a "there's nothing we can do about attitude."  It's why I've pushed you a few times.  When you tell me what you and your group(s) have accomplished, I'm actualy more confused, by the above mentioned attitude your posts seem to convey.. Idk, maybe something gets lost in the text.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 21

"...What have you done to help our environment's well being?   And I'm not trying to be snarky,  I'm just wondering what you think the solution to our environmental woes could be....".

You've obviously not seen all my past postings. DW and I have been directly involved, as in hundreds of hours, for 30+ years, in a local environmental group. We got curbside recycling in our county after volunteers, like myself, did monthly drives.  We pushed for no plastic, and use of reusable bags for shopping. The group does public education.

Ourselves --- drive a hybrid, low flow toilets and shower, never watered or fertilized a lawn, have a large garden, been recycling long before people even heard of it, re-usable bags all the time, push for more open lands, etc. Been doing this since early 80's.

What is the solution?  Individual responsibility. 100 million people doing the same types of things.  

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 21

Retired traveler -- yes people will follow whatever road is the more simple which,  is wrong. but throwing up one's hands and saying nothing can be done so I will do nothing, is a bigger problem.

Politics is HUGE on  this-when we elect people who are willing to destroy our environment, the environment is further damaged. if we elect people who see what we are doing as human beings, no matter where we live in this world, our environment suffers less. Don't you think politics play a part when Trump goes in and gets rid of all the restrictions on companies that are damaging our environment?   If Politics aren't important, why did Obama put those restrictions in place? At least for the time being, until Trump tries to take away all of our rights, our vote is our voice. 

Will we make mistakes when we vote? Sure, look who's in the White House.  

Individuals aside from the vote,  can educate people through forums like this, opinion columns, and activism as to what the long effects of pollution are. throwing up your hands and saying oh well,  helps no one.  

What have you done to help our environment's well being?   And I'm not trying to be snarky,  I'm just wondering what you think the solution to our environmental woes could be.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 21

"... Retired traveler - you may have noticed that when Donald Trump became " the so-called president", hate crimes rose. the reason for that is when the top condones something, many follow..".

I stay out of the political discussions. But this statement is one of my 101 reasons America is in permanent decline. Not because of the top --- it's the millions of  'followers'. You can't fix stupid.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 21

Retired traveler - you may have noticed that when Donald Trump became " the so-called president", hate crimes rose. the reason for that is when the top condones something, many follow. When a president, senators, and congressmen are condoning the destruction of the environment,  we begin to see an uptick in lack of conservationis with regard to water sources.

Having said that, when people just throw up their hands and say, oh well it's going to happen and there isn't anything we can do about it, it's easy to see how these atrocities against the environment continue,   This stance IS THE PROBLEM-- not the rights,  not the lefts.  

( Reading that there is nothing anyone can do about it reminds me of slavery when white children who questioned why other human beings were held in captivity were told by their parents or other adults that that is the way it is, and that's the way it should be, and there's nothing you can do about it .)  I guess they were wrong.)

What can be done is to make sure as Americans, we elect people who understand the problem and who are truly more interested in our environment and the safety of ourselves and our progeny to stand up to polluters and do something about it.  What will help is to join groups that make people aware of the consequences of polluting our watersheds.

Complacency on the left is in part why that fool who now sits on Pennsylvania Avenue was elected, and we see the results of that.  To be complacent about our environment will do more than make us a  laughingstock as a country, lead to suppression of free speech, or cause an uptick in violence amongst those that he government has made clear it doesn't like.

Republican,  liberal, progressive, Democrat, Green party, libertarian, or tea party , unaffiliated,  it won't matter--when we elect people who are willing to pollute in order to uphold the party line or for their own greed,  when we say no matter what happens it won't matter and so I give up, we condone that which threatens our very existence.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 21

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

richva,

There are a lot of conservatives who do believe in climate change.  Now if you are talking about the people in power, that is a different story.

http://www.pewinternet.org/2016/10/04/the-politics-of-climate/

Now why do you think THAT is?  Could it be because their incredibly uninformed, uneducated base listens to Limblah and Hannity and watches FoxNews?

I think there are doing it partly to not get "primaryed" and also for campaign contributions.  By playing to their lowest common denominators they are able to get elected and stay in power.  And, yes I do think it reflects on the gullibility of a large portion of their electorate.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors