Tell Congress to stop Rx greed and cut prescription drug prices now! Here’s how.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Congressional Incumbents Reject Military Widows

Message 21 of 27

OH, mickstuder - Those people in Congress really aren't any more intelligent than me or you.  Most of them do not get into the nitty-gritty of why a particular thing is done because they don't dig into the details.  They "sell" their legislation to others, sometimes they do "horsetrading", i.e. you support mine and I will support yours.

The same is true of legislation that gets rid of the Social Security Windfall Elimination Provision and the Government Pension Offset. Every year it raises its head because some Congressperson puts it back in; it gets several hundred cosponsors, sometimes even bipartisan support but it is studpid to eliminate these provisions.   I have debated it fully many, many times on the Social Security Board.  These provisions are fair because these people DID NOT pay into Social Security most of their working career; thus their benefits are adjusted for this fact.  Many states don't want to do the SS (employer) match so they create a retirement program for their own workers.  They are getting that rather than a full SS benefit even if they worked some under a SS job.  The reduction is eliminated IF they work 30 years under a SS job in ADDITION to their non-SS government job.

For a Congressperson to really do their job, they need to get into the fine details of any legislation - the how, the why and then make an educated call for it or not.  If they do that, they might be able to rework the program or benefit to help people understand it better - like my suggestion that they cover the (2) facets of DIC under separate categories rather than just one.

This isn't about Party or Administration - it is about intelligence and making a call that is educated because they understand it and how it works.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 27

@GailL1 wrote:

Just askin' . . . .

Do you understand WHY it is this way?

Do you understand the similarities in DIC and SBP - they are both for the same thing, just separated by a differing population, with a few crossovers; where the problem occurs between two different agencies - the DOD and the VA.

I don't know why it is done this way, I am not an actuary.  But they are getting both benefits; just a reduced amount because of the similar purpose of both programs.  Seems to me that it is a matter of which program trumps which program.  Would it be better if the adjustment was made on the DIC side rather than the SBP - the adjusted dollar amount would be the same.  However, the widowers tax benefit would be higher because DIC is tax free whereas the SBP is not tax free.

The powers-that-be could always consider DIC under (2) different categories rather than one -

One for military Servicemembers who died in the line of duty and another for eligible survivors of Veterans whose death resulted from a service-related injury or disease.  It is the later one that is causing the problem because it is ONLY this circumstance which could happen AFTER military retirement.

Military Compensation - Survivors Benefit Program Overview

VA Compensation - Dependency and Indemnity Compensation

I cannot respond intelligently to a Post where every other collection of 3 letters or more is a Acronym

I can state there is no Good Reason for a Congress that does nothing

There is overwhelming Bi-partisan support for Dozens of Bills passed by the House and being Ignored by McConnell

This Military Widows Bill has been sitting in GOP Speaker of the House Ryans Hands for Multiple Year/Sessions without a Vote

Mississippi has had Dozens of Communities - over 500 Homes under Water for 114 days

Trump and the Congress is Mute

Seems to be a pattern here

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 27

Just askin' . . . .

Do you understand WHY it is this way?

Do you understand the similarities in DIC and SBP - they are both for the same thing, just separated by a differing population, with a few crossovers; where the problem occurs between two different agencies - the DOD and the VA.

I don't know why it is done this way, I am not an actuary.  But they are getting both benefits; just a reduced amount because of the similar purpose of both programs.  Seems to me that it is a matter of which program trumps which program.  Would it be better if the adjustment was made on the DIC side rather than the SBP - the adjusted dollar amount would be the same.  However, the widowers tax benefit would be higher because DIC is tax free whereas the SBP is not tax free.

The powers-that-be could always consider DIC under (2) different categories rather than one -

One for military Servicemembers who died in the line of duty and another for eligible survivors of Veterans whose death resulted from a service-related injury or disease.  It is the later one that is causing the problem because it is ONLY this circumstance which could happen AFTER military retirement.

Military Compensation - Survivors Benefit Program Overview

VA Compensation - Dependency and Indemnity Compensation

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 27

@jimc91 wrote:

Quit sending the same professional politicians to DC...

I'm trying - but Americans think they are effectively participating in their Government by electing the same people over and over again because they recognise their last name

A Majority obvioulsy have No Idea their Congress People - Do Nothing - except make sure - their constituents remember their names

There is No Other Reasonable Explanation for why when Polled

80+ % of Americans think Congress is not doing their Jobs

Then they turn around and re-elect 90% of the Incumbents

For No Other Reason Than Because they remember their last names & have bought into the Democrat & Republican Co-sonsored Collusion Theory

That it's the other Guys fault - nothing gets done

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 27

Quit sending the same professional politicians to DC...

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 27

The 2017 version had 271 cosponsors,

The 2015 version had 208 cosponsors,

The 2013 version had 237 cosponsors,

The 2011 version had 207 cosponsors.

None even received a House vote, let alone passage.

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Congressional Incumbents Reject Military Widows

Message 27 of 27

Military Widow’s Tax Elimination Act has 324 House and 72 Senate cosponsors, second-most among bills this Congress

More then 70% of Both the House & Senate Support This Legislation

BUT IT'S FAILED IN THE LAST 4 CONGRESSES

THIS IS WHAT CONGRESSIONAL INCUMBENCY GETS YOU

Currently, the surviving husband or wife of a military member who dies in service is entitled to survivor’s benefits.

However, if they had previously voluntarily enrolled in the Department of Veterans Affairs’ Survivors Benefits Plan (SBP), their survivors’ benefits can be subtracted by as much as $15,828 per year.

Essentially, the SBP is being subtracted from the total survivor’s benefit, rather than added to it.

That means more than 65,000 military surviving spouses receive less money than they’re supposed to — in some cases much less money. It’s been nicknamed the “widow’s tax.”

KEEP ELECTING INCUMBENTS BECAUSE YOU CAN REMEMBER THEIR NAMES AND THEY SOUND NICE

In Reality - Most of you HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY HAVE ACTUALLY ACCOMPLISHED - NOTHING

Source - https://govtrackinsider.com/military-widows-tax-elimination-act-has-324-house-and-72-senate-cosponso...

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Replies