Explore your flexible work options with AARP's Flexible Work Online Expo from 2-5 p.m. ET Tuesday! Register now.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Congressional Incumbents Reject Military Widows

Message 1 of 27

@ChasKy53 wrote:

And I suggest that you use the full names once before using acronyms, just as a common courtesy, then people who don't know what they mean would not have to "research them".

I would suggest that anyone who knew what they were posting about would be aware of the acronyms and terms being referred to.  These terms are used frequently in discussing both military survivor programs and explained in this topic.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 27

@mickstuder 

In the 115th Congress (2017 - 2018) it was

HR846 https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/846/all-actions

S339 https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/339/all-info#relatedBills-content

How the Congressional Research Service describes the (2) benefits programs involved - SBP and DIC.

Congressional Research Service 10/01/2018 - MilitarySurvivorBenefitPlan:Background and Issues for Co...

Begin on page 15 under the heading - Interaction between SBP and Dependency and IndemnityCompensation

Just because a piece of legislation keeps on going like the Energizer Bunny does not mean that it is good legislation no matter how many cosponsors it has -

The same has been true of lots of legislation - The Elimination of the Windfall Elimination Provision and the Government Pension Offset is another piece of legislation that just keeps going and going because none of them have the balls to explain that the way the benefit is now structured is fair.

Same thing with this legislation, IMO.  NO balls to confront and explain it to those involved so they just keep putting it in again and again and again.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 27

@mickstuder 

I know my explanation of the problem is correct.

IMO, the benefits are the same and only happens when a RETIRED military person dies after they have retired due to a service connected illness.  That is the ONLY time that the VA DIC benefit would be involved.

Legislation in the House, if not completed (approved / failed or left in limbo) during the (2) year legislation cycle, begins again in the current legislation session if it is resubmitted with a new HR number by some Representative.  It could be tweeked before it is resubmitted or submitted as originally proposed even if introduced by some other Representative.

NO legislation from a previous Congress just continues on and on. 

Here are all the actions to date on HR533 in the 116th Congress (2019 - 2020 )

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/553/all-actions?overview=closed#tabs

No actions other than introduction in the Senate

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/622/actions

IMO, this may have to go to Court to figure out IF these widows are entitled to BOTH entire benefits.  I don't think so - they deserve the Military Retiree Survivors Benefit but not the DIC, at least not all of it because the benefits are IMO, the same except for for (2) different populations.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 27

@GailL1 wrote:

mickstuder -

I really thought that since you started this thread - you knew what it was about - you even mentioned SBP in your OP (originating post).

In my 1st response to your OP (originating post), I posted (2) links -

Military Compensation - Survivors Benefit Program Overview (SBP)

VA Compensation - Dependency and Indemnity Compensation(DIC)

Here is a detailed explanation of the problem between the two benefits for the same purpose but from different sources:

Military.com - 11/14/2017 - Widows' Tax' Denies Some Military Survivors Full Payments

from the above link~

SBP is for survivors of current military members and retirees, and it is paid regardless of the cause of death. DIC is only for survivors of veterans who die of service-connected causes.

"Both ... serve the same general purpose of providing a cost-of-living adjusted annuity to a survivor following the death of a member, but for two different populations,"

The problem occurs when there is a military RETIREE that dies from a service connected illness AFTER they retire.  That is the ONLY time that a VA DIC benefit would be involved.

Like I said in my 1st reply to you  and I repeat it here:

I don't know why it is done this way, I am not an actuary.  But they are getting both benefits; just a reduced amount because of the similar purpose of both programs. Seems to me that it is a matter of which program trumps which program. Would it be better if the adjustment was made on the DIC side rather than the SBP - the adjusted dollar amount would be the same. However, the widowers tax benefit would be higher because DIC is tax free whereas the SBP is not tax free.

The powers-that-be could always consider DIC under (2) different categories rather than one -

One for military Servicemembers who died in the line of duty and another for eligible survivors of Veterans whose death resulted from a service-related injury or disease. It is the later one that is causing the problem because it is ONLY this circumstance which could happen AFTER military retirement.

SBP = DOD Military - Survivors Benefit Program

DIC = VA - Dependency and Indemnity Compensation

Hope this helps your understanding of the matter. 

Actually My Original Post Was Intended to be About the Legislation to correct the issue that has been held by Speaker of the House Ryan for 6 years

It's June 2019 & this Bill is now sitting in the Democratic House - Armed Services Committee - with nothing scheduled 

I do not beleive your explanation is ENTIRELY accurate

Context

Currently, the surviving husband or wife of a military member who dies in service is entitled to survivor’s benefits.

READ HERE

However, if they had previously voluntarily enrolled in the Department of Veterans Affairs’ Survivors Benefits Plan (SBP), their survivors’ benefits can be subtracted by as much as $15,828 per year.

Essentially, the SBP is being subtracted from the total survivor’s benefit, rather than added to it.

That means more than 65,000 military surviving spouses receive less money than they’re supposed to — in some cases much less money. It’s been nicknamed the “widow’s tax.”

What the legislation does

The Military Surviving Spouses Equity Act (in the House) and the Military Widow’s Tax Elimination Act (in the Senate) would eliminate this provision, giving military spouses their full money due.

The House version was introduced on January 15 as bill number H.R. 553 , by Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC2). The Senate version on February 28 as bill number S. 622, by Sen. Doug Jones (D-AL).

Again - https://govtrackinsider.com/military-widows-tax-elimination-act-has-324-house-and-72-senate-cosponso...

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 27

mickstuder -

I really thought that since you started this thread - you knew what it was about - you even mentioned SBP in your OP (originating post).

In my 1st response to your OP (originating post), I posted (2) links -

Military Compensation - Survivors Benefit Program Overview (SBP)

VA Compensation - Dependency and Indemnity Compensation(DIC)

Here is a detailed explanation of the problem between the two benefits for the same purpose but from different sources:

Military.com - 11/14/2017 - Widows' Tax' Denies Some Military Survivors Full Payments

from the above link~

SBP is for survivors of current military members and retirees, and it is paid regardless of the cause of death. DIC is only for survivors of veterans who die of service-connected causes.

"Both ... serve the same general purpose of providing a cost-of-living adjusted annuity to a survivor following the death of a member, but for two different populations,"

The problem occurs when there is a military RETIREE that dies from a service connected illness AFTER they retire.  That is the ONLY time that a VA DIC benefit would be involved.

Like I said in my 1st reply to you  and I repeat it here:

I don't know why it is done this way, I am not an actuary.  But they are getting both benefits; just a reduced amount because of the similar purpose of both programs. Seems to me that it is a matter of which program trumps which program. Would it be better if the adjustment was made on the DIC side rather than the SBP - the adjusted dollar amount would be the same. However, the widowers tax benefit would be higher because DIC is tax free whereas the SBP is not tax free.

The powers-that-be could always consider DIC under (2) different categories rather than one -

One for military Servicemembers who died in the line of duty and another for eligible survivors of Veterans whose death resulted from a service-related injury or disease. It is the later one that is causing the problem because it is ONLY this circumstance which could happen AFTER military retirement.

SBP = DOD Military - Survivors Benefit Program

DIC = VA - Dependency and Indemnity Compensation

Hope this helps your understanding of the matter. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 27

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

Suggest that if you are nof(sic) familiar with the acronyms you research them.

Have a good evening.

And I suggest that you use the full names once before using acronyms, just as a common courtesy, then people who don't know what they mean would not have to "research them".

Have a good evening, and I mean it in the same sense that you do.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 27

@mickstuder wrote:

Do Some Research instead of just scanning posts for things to complain about 

I would believe that I have enough expertise regarding the military SBP since I'm enrolled in it for my family, and been so long enough to be fully invested.   And being affected by the program in providing for my spouse am informed enough by being kept up to date via periodic retiree newsletters from the Department of the Army.

The problem that is being discussed is much like the 'windfall provisions' when a spouse is eligible both for their own pension and drawing social security based on their spouse's earnings.  In this case it is from drawing both DIC and SBP.  

I have to ask if you are aware of how and why a widow is awarded DIC, etc?  There are provisions for returning SBP premiums under certain circumstances when this happens.  Suggest that if you are nof familiar with the acronyms you research them.

Have a good evening.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 27

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

I started the Thread in a effort to let those who are impacted a better understanding of why

I'm going to make this  Announcement on AARP Tonight

I've decided not to Run for President

I'm sure not only Trump will be happy to hear that you're not running for President, but the multitude of Democrats since it makes one less in the crowd..   Now he only has half the Democratic Party that's running to worry about.

I'm sure those affected by the SBP and DIC are aware of its impact.  Of course its easier to explain to that group also. 

Thanks for your concern.

Do you just scan posts for familiar words or in this case Acronyms - this post is about the Inaction of the US Congress on the Military Widows Tax Enactment Bill 

You know the effort to correct the fact that there are possibly 65000 current living Military Widows who are not receiving as much money as they could or should 

It's not all about you and obviously your unsupported opinion stated as absolute fact that everyone who should know does - is not supported by the fact that Congress has not acted on this bill to correct this inequity in over 6 years 

Leading reasonable people to believe - either these 65000 widows have no advocate or they are all so wealthy they don't care about receiving a extra $15,000

Do Some Research instead of just scanning posts for things to complain about 

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 27

@mickstuder wrote:

I started the Thread in a effort to let those who are impacted a better understanding of why

I'm going to make this Announcement on AARP Tonight

I'm sure not only Trump will be happy to hear that you're not running for President, but the multitude of Democrats since it makes one less in the crowd..   Now he only has half the Democratic Party that's running to worry about.

I'm sure those affected by the SBP and DIC are aware of its impact.  Of course its easier to explain to that group also. 

Thanks for your concern.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 27

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

I'm not yet effected by either program but again I don't think you have to be a Participant to be concerned about the inability of our elected Officials to act & to do their jobs

Then perhaps since you are not a participant in either program you should quit worrying about acronyms since those of us affected are aware of what they stand fo.

I have been a participant in the SBP for decades and have no concerns about the annuity my wife would receive when I'm gone.  Neither is she.

Yeah Right

If I'm not Directly Impacted by Something - I should mind my own Business

I'm going to make this Announcement on AARP Tonight

Am I still allowed to have a Opinion on those who are still running

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views