Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: Confederate Statue Removal from New Orleans

Message 1 of 4

@creppelrm wrote:

These statues and Confederate flags didn't start showing up well after the end of the civil war.  At first I even thought why get rid of them when they were part of history but Landreau's speech made me realize what they really stood for.  And that was to divide our nation not unite it.  It meant to defy what so many lost their lives to protect and the very basis of the constitution that "All men are created equal."

A retired judge of my acquaintance has long been known for observing that since Confederates took up arms against the United States - an act defined by the Constitution as treason - it should only be fair and appropriate for those wishing to keep confederate statues/monuments from being moved to another location to agree that a statue/monument in honor of Tokyo Rose or Axis Sally should be placed right next to the confederate statue/monument - treason next to treason -  equal recognition... 

44>dolt45
Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 4

These statues and Confederate flags didn't start showing up well after the end of the civil war.  At first I even thought why get rid of them when they were part of history but Landreau's speech made me realize what they really stood for.  And that was to divide our nation not unite it.  It meant to defy what so many lost their lives to protect and the very basis of the constitution that "All men are created equal."

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 4

Mayor Mitch Landreau's speech - yesyesyesyesyes!!!

44>dolt45
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly

Confederate Statue Removal from New Orleans

Message 4 of 4

For being a red state last in everything good and first in everything bad Louisiana has a few outstanding people in government with vision, such as our Governor and the Mayor of New Orleans who give not only this state hope but the whole nation.  Attached is a copy of Mayor Mitch Landreau's speech which is a corner stone speech on just why these memorials to the Confederacy have to be removed. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/23/opinion/mitch-landrieus-speech-transcript.html

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors