Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Comparing Donald Trump with LBJ

Message 21 of 27

What is "not happening" is Hillary Clinton going to prison or anything related to her "scandals". The FBI concluded last year that there was no indictable offense for Hillary Clinton's emails. Get over it. 

As far as Donald Trump, there has already been much credible evidence that he may be laundering money from the Russian mob through his business via loans with banks in Europe with connections to Russian mobs and Putin. That is a felony punishable by up to ten years in prison as well as forfeiture of assets.

Like the Watergate scandal of the 1970s, the Russian investigation is peeling away the layers of the onion and eventually the investigation will come across enough evidence to warrant impeachment or an indictment. Already Robert Mueller is empaneling a grand jury as part of the Russia investigation. Already Republican support of Trump is peeling away and more Republicans will distance themselves from Trump as time passes. 

My prediction is that Donald Trump won't be President past the end of next summer at the latest. Mike Pence will be President when the 2018 mid term elections are held. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 27

I have also become much more active locally to make sure that Donald Trump's presidency is brief and his prison sentence is long. 

I was an active Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Order of the Arrow, and Explorer Scout and also never acquired the Eagle Scout honor and I hope Donald Trump's Presidency is eight years and I believe your dreams of his prison sentence will be much shorter than Obama's and Hillary's jail sentence.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 27

I have been away from this discussion board for the past month or longer because i have been extremely busy. Between work and travelling as well as it being summer, I just haven't the time to post anything on this discussion board. Besides most of what I would have to say about our President and congress would violate the terms of service. I have also become much more active locally to make sure that Donald Trump's presidency is brief and his prison sentence is long. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 27

Now after reading what LBJ had to say to the Boy Scouts 53 years ago; contrast that with what Donald Trump said to the Boy Scout Jamboree this year. A President should lead and inspire and especially inspire the youth of the nation since the Boy Scouts at the Jamboree will eventually become the leaders of the nation in the future.

Now I realize that LBJ was not the perfect President, nor was he the best President that this country produced. But despite LBJ's faults, our current President couldn't hold a candle to LBJ. For better and for worse, LBJ left a giant legacy on the United States and we are still dealing with his legacy today. So I ask, what would those Boy Scouts of 2017 remember from their President fifty years from now?

Last spring on a visit to Texas, I visited the LBJ ranch and home in central Texas. I learned a lot about LBJ and where he came from as well as more about his legacy and life. LBJ began his career as a teacher in a poor school district near where he grew up. His wife "Lady Bird" Johnson was also a teacher as well. His experience as a teacher and teaching at an impovrished school district led to his establishing the Head Start Program and his program of federal aid to education. 

One of my close friends of mine is a retired elementary school teacher who taught reading to first graders who had problems learning to read. Her program was one of LBJ's "Great Society" prgrams in education that used federal money to fund programs so every child could learn to read according to their grade level and age. Much of her salary was because of that federal money from that program. The first Head Start program was started at a small rural school that was near LBJ's ranch and it is now on the grounds of the LBJ Historic Site between Johnson City and Fredericksburg Texas in the Texas hill country west of Austin. 

Lyndon Johnson is buried in a family cemetery on that property and Lady Bird is buried along side of him. One thing that I learned was that when LBJ decided not to seek another term as President in 1968, the major reason was that he was getting burned out and the war in Vietnam was wearing him down. His doctor told him that he would not survive another term as President if he chose to run. In fact LBJ died at the age of 64 two days after that term would have ended in January 1973.

Lady Bird survived him by more than 34 years, dying in 2007 at the age of 95. She lived her days in Austin. One of Lady Bird Johnson's pet projects was highway beautification and conservation. As a symbol of her legacy, there has been established in Austin the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, a self sustaining nature center south of the city. If anyone is ever in Austin Texas, this is well worth a visit as well as a road trip in the hill country to visit the LBJ ranch and historic site. 

Somehow I cannot see any significant accomplishments coming from Donald Trump other than perhaps his resignation. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 27

A while back there was smeone on NPR explaining how Johnson " worked" .he was the ultimate dealmaker, and thats how he got what he wanted. an amazing president and legislator. maybe the best. Its sad he saddled himself with Viet Nam and that became th focus of his legacy.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 27

For my I was very privileged to have attended this National Boy Scout Jamboree in July 1964. I was 15 years old, turning 16 that September. It was especially special to have been at Valley Forge Pennsylvania since my high school that I attended (and graduated from in 1966) is called Valley Forge High School. That trip was more than just a trip to a huge camp out. Our group of Boy Scouts from the Cleveland area also took side trips to Philadelphia where we visited Independence Hall and saw the Liberty Bell. My high school's athletic name is the Patriots and our majorettes were called the "Liberty Belles", but it was exciting to see where the Declaration of Independence was debated and adopted in 1776 and the bell that rung out for our new nation. 

Our group also took a side trip to Washington DC where we stayed a couple of days seeing our nation's capital. One stop was to the National Archives where we got to see the real Declaration of Independence as well as the Constitution. 

To pay for that trip, our families paid part of the cost. But us boys also worked for the money, holding car washes and "slave sales" where people bidded out money then got one of us for a day of work around their house. The Greater Cleveland Boy Scout Council also had "camperships" for needy boys who showed ambition and promise, but lacked the funds for such events. So our group was well represented from all over the city. 

While at that National Jamboree I met scouts from all over the country as well as from many foreign nations as well. A National Boy Scout Jamboree is also an international affair as many Boy Scouts from foreign countries are also invited to attend as well. On Sunday, we all participated in church services of our faith or one of our choosing. One boy in my troop was curious about Budhism (he was Roman Catholic) and attended a Budhist service. Little did he understand that at that service, he took the first step to becoming a Budhist monk. 

I came away from that Jamboree with a new appreciation for not only my country, but my place in the world as an American. I had more adventures in the Boy Scouts in upcoming years. In the spring of 1965, I joined a bunch of Explorer Scouts from the Cleveland area on a Marine encampment over our Easter break at the Cherry Point Marine Air Station in North Carolina near Camp Lejune (which we also visited). we spent a week living as Marine recruits complete with a drill sergeant who looked like Sgt. Foley from the movie An Officer and a Gentleman. I came away from that with a lot of respect for Marines as well as an appreciation of their esprit de corps that permeates the Marine Corps. 

Then in the summer of 1965, I got to spend seven days and seven nights backpacking in the Rocky Mountains at the Philmont Scout Ranch near Cimmaron New Mexico. We had to carry 33 pound packs on our backs as we went from a base camp at 6000 feet above sea Level to peaks over 11,000 feet in elevation. After I came down, I had an opportunity to ride in a rodeo at the ranch. I didn't do any bull riding, just riding a horse and doing some roping. They said I was pretty good for a "city slicker Yankee". 

Then in the spring of 1966, I joined a bunch of Explorer scouts from Cleveland on another military encampment over our Easter break. That year we went to the Pensacola Florida Naval Air Station. We obsevred how Navy pilots were trained and the highlight of that trip was getting to spend a couple of days aboard the aircraft carrier Lexington out at sea in the Gulf of Mexico obeserving both day and night flight operations as well as hear from Navy pilots about what it was like being a Navy pilot and taking off and landing on an aircraft carrier. I got to see the tests that were documented in the movie An Officer and a Gentleman and Top Gun. Penacola is the home of the Navy's "Top Gun" school in the east. 

I graduated from high school in June 1966 and went off to college the following September. I joined the Air Force ROTC program on campus since I wanted to become a meteorologist. Then came Vietnam and the rest of the 1960s. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Comparing Donald Trump with LBJ

Message 27 of 27

I am a former Boy Scout. I never made Eagle Scout, but came close by reaching the rank of Life Scout. A major part of why I never made Eagle was that there wasn't a scout troop in my neighborhood until I was almost 14 years old. So when I was 16, I joined an Explorer Post which is more attuned to high school age boys.

However I did attend the 1964 Boy Scout National Jamboree that was held at Valley Forge Pennsylvania. At that jamboree, President Lyndon Johnson addressed the Boy Scouts. I don't remember much of what he said. One thing I do remember from that Presidential address was a plane flying overhead towing a banner saying "Vote for Goldwater". 1964 was an election year, but the audience of Boy Scouts were too young to vote.

Here is a link to what LBJ said at the 1964 Boy Scout Jamboree that I attended:

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=26391

Here is what LBJ said:

Mr. Watson, Scout leaders, members of the Boy Scouts of America:

The America that you will build and live to see will be far different from the America of today.

In 50 years there will be 400 million Americans instead of 190 million Americans. Man will have reached into outer space and probed the inner secrets of human life. And some of you will take those journeys.

New inventions will have changed the way in which you live, just as the automobile and the airplane and the television have brought changes to my life. Fast planes and satellites will make neighbors of distant lands.

You will see wonders and participate in achievements of which we older Americans can only dream.

This is an exciting challenge. I envy you the great adventures which await you.

But it was an American President, Woodrow Wilson, who said, "A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know what it is today nor what it is trying to do."

If you are to do great things, you must remember also what America has been.

For this country of ours is not just a collection of factories and banks. It is not simply 190 million people, or crowded cities, or broad highways.

This country of ours is a community built on an idea. Its history is the history of an idea. And its future will be bright only so long as you are faithful to that idea.

It all began right here where we are standing tonight. In 1777, in Valley Forge, a few thousand men suffered and starved through the freezing cold of the harsh winter. They did not have, as you have, regular meals, a decent place to sleep, protection from harm.

But they did have an idea, an idea and a dream. That idea gave them the strength to survive the winter, and when their ordeal was over, George Washington led them forth to liberate and to create the United States of America.

Throughout our history, most Americans have shared the common purpose which gave strength to the soldiers at Valley Forge. Most Americans share those purposes tonight.

The American idea is, first of all, the belief in freedom and the rights of man. Government was to be chosen and directed by the people. And every individual citizen was to have the right to speak his views, to worship as he wanted, and to be safe from the arbitrary acts of Government. Even if a single man stood alone against the entire Nation, that single man was to be protected in his beliefs and in his right to voice those beliefs.

This dedication to freedom was founded on the great moral truth that all men were created equal. This was a recognition that all men were equal in the eyes of God. Being equal, the poorest and the most oppressed among us had the same right as all others to share in Government, to enjoy liberty, to pursue happiness as far as his abilities would take him.

It will be up to you to carry this idea forward. For it is not yet a reality for all in this land.

If Government was to be chosen by the people, it must exist to serve the needs of the people. This, too, is part of the American idea.

As a result, in America we have a Government which exists to protect the freedom and enlarge the opportunities of every citizen. That Government is not to be feared or to be attacked. It is to be helped as long as it serves the country well, and it is to be changed when it neglects its duty.

I know that to many of you the Government in Washington must often seem far away, must often seem very difficult to understand.

But your Government is made up of people, people like those you know in your own hometowns, people who are chosen by your parents and your neighbors and sent to Washington to serve your towns and your States.

Government is an Irish boy from Boston who grew up to become President of the United States.

Government is the son of a German immigrant from Pekin, Ill., who became a leader of the American Senate.

Government is a rancher from Montana, a banker from New York, an automobile maker from Detroit.

Yes, Government is the son of a tenant farmer from Texas who is speaking to you tonight.

And I am sure that here tonight within the sound of my voice are others who will grow up to work for this country in the councils of Government.

The American idea is also the belief in expanding opportunity and in progress. This was not to be a country where a few were rich and most were deprived. It was to be a country where every citizen had the chance, through his own work and skill, to provide for his family and to enrich his life. And that is the kind of country that we have built.

In the early days a man needed only an axe and a gun to build a new life in the open spaces of the West. Today it takes knowledge and skill. Today they must have that in order to have a chance to find a job, in order to take a rewarding place in the life of our country.

But because we have been faithful to this idea, more men have greater opportunity in America than in any other country in the history of civilization.

These ideas are as old as your country, but they are not old-fashioned ideas. They are as alive and as vital as America itself.

I have no doubt that if you remain true to them, you will remember these days of scouting as only the beginning of a lifetime of useful service to America.

The qualities you will require for this task are those contained in your Boy Scout oath. Its pledge has meaning not only for you but has great meaning for all of our citizens.

What that pledge really means is the theme of this jamboree. It means "This Is My Country," and "I must prepare myself to serve it well."

Be faithful to it. And your life and the life of your country will be the richer for it.

It is wonderful to come here and be with you this evening, and to look into your smiling, optimistic faces. It will give me strength that I need in the lonely hours that I spend in attempting to lead this great Nation.

It is wonderful that you could be here in this peaceful atmosphere of one of the great States in our Union and at such an historic site.

You have much to be thankful for. Yes, we have much to preserve and much to protect.

I am grateful that your great leader, Mr. Tom Watson, Jr., asked me to come here to be with you tonight, and I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for receiving me so warmly.

God bless you all.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.