Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Comparing Donald Trump with LBJ

Message 11 of 27

@lk152 wrote:

ROTFLMAO! Not Happening, surely you jest. Hillary Clinton is out of the limelight and there is very little attention being paid to her. Magic! All of the issues that were swirling around her emails are silent now. The FBI concluded that there is no solid evidence to warrant an indictment or of any criminal behavior. It's over and done, nothing will happen regarding Hillary Clinton's emails. It is only the right wing propaganda machine that is trying to keep this story alive (and they are failing miserably) in a vain attempt to distract attention from the Donald Trump circus in the White House. 

It is only a matter of time before there is impeachment procedings brought against Donald Trump. I have confidence that Robert Mueller's investigation will uncover an entire rat's nest of issues and impeachable offenses against Donald Trump that only the die hardest Republicans will continue to support Trump. This is another Watergate scandal and it is playing out just like the Watergate scandal of the 1970s. 

With each day, with each tweet; Donald Trump's approval rating and support slips. Soon there will be a critical mass of congressional Republicans who have the courage to put the country ahead of party politics and when that happens, Trump's days as President will be over. 

Enjoy your laugh while I will get the last one when both Hillary and Obama are investigated for their wrongdoings.  2018 Congressional elections will bring more laughs to you when Dems lose more seats.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 27

@lk152 wrote:

When one subtracts the Vietnam War from LBJ's legacy; he becomes one of the greatest Presidents in our country's history.

But there is no way to subtract the Vietnam War from his legacy.   He'll always be remembered for using a flimsy excuse to escalte an internal civil war into a conflict that killed thousands of Americans, not counting the Vietnamese casualities.    As the saying goes a person's 'attaboys' are erased by one 'aw shucks [substituted for another word]'.

Remember he was forced to not run for another term because of that.

“Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”. . . FDR
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 27

ROTFLMAO! Not Happening, surely you jest. Hillary Clinton is out of the limelight and there is very little attention being paid to her. Magic! All of the issues that were swirling around her emails are silent now. The FBI concluded that there is no solid evidence to warrant an indictment or of any criminal behavior. It's over and done, nothing will happen regarding Hillary Clinton's emails. It is only the right wing propaganda machine that is trying to keep this story alive (and they are failing miserably) in a vain attempt to distract attention from the Donald Trump circus in the White House. 

It is only a matter of time before there is impeachment procedings brought against Donald Trump. I have confidence that Robert Mueller's investigation will uncover an entire rat's nest of issues and impeachable offenses against Donald Trump that only the die hardest Republicans will continue to support Trump. This is another Watergate scandal and it is playing out just like the Watergate scandal of the 1970s. 

With each day, with each tweet; Donald Trump's approval rating and support slips. Soon there will be a critical mass of congressional Republicans who have the courage to put the country ahead of party politics and when that happens, Trump's days as President will be over. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 27

Sure NOT and why is President Obama going to jail ?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 27

What's "not happening" is Donald Trump going to jail while Hillary stands a much better chance than Trump for her misdeeds including destroying evidence while keeping top secret information on a private server as well as getting large contributions in exchange for favors. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 27

When one subtracts the Vietnam War from LBJ's legacy; he becomes one of the greatest Presidents in our country's history. What he was able to accomplish has changed our country much for the better. The Civil Rights Bill was tied up in congress when JFK was assassinated. But it took LBJ's persuasion to finally break the log jam and get it passed. Then LBJ supported and signed into law the Voting Rights Bill of 1965 that ensured blacks had the right to vote just as whites. That changed the entire complexion of politics in the south. Today, African Americnas are the most loyal Democratic voters, having voted more than 90% for Hillary Clinton for President in 2016. Without the Voting Rights Bill, Barack Obama never would have had a chance to become President. 

Of course that turned southern whtes away from the Democratic party. They voted for and supported George Wallace for President in 1968. Then Richard Nixon's "southern strategy" turned those southern white politicians and supporters from Democrats to Republicans. So now the south is the most reliably Republican states when it comes to voting habits. 

But perhaps LBJ's most enduring and significant accomplishment was the passage and signing of the bill creating Medicare and Medicaid on July 30 1965. President Harry Truman first proposed Medicare in 1948. But it never gained any traction in congress until LBJ became President. The same could be said about Medicaid which provided health care for the poor. LBJ saw first hand when he campaigned in Appalachia the effect of poverty on health and productivity.

When I look around and see all the growth in health care facilities and infrastructure that has taken place since 1965, most of that is because of Medicare and Medicaid. The local hospital in my community regularly reports in their annual statement that more than 60% of their patients are Medicare beneficiaries. My own primary care physician, who I have been seeing for almost 25 years, states that his practice is 70% people on Medicare. That now includes me since I went on Medicare four years ago. A medical system that is owned by the people of the county where I live and serves everyone regardless of their ability to pay stated that more than 40% of their patients were on Medicaid and that was before the expansion under the ACA. I am sure that percentage now is much greater. Medicare and Medicaid were stalled in congress for 17 years before LBJ was able to break that log jam and get it passed. 

Then when one includes the Head Start program, the food stamp program and federal aid to education; LBJ's legacy and influence on future generations of Americans has been tremendous. LBJ was perhaps the most skilled politician this country had as President since Lincoln. LBJ didn't have the moral persuasion as Lincoln nor the charisma as FDR or JFK. But he knew how to make deals in politics and make a difference. 

Donald Trump on the other hand has made a career as a "deal maker" in business. But I read his book The Art of the Deal almost thirty years ago when it came out. Trump's "art of the deal" is bluff, bluster and intimidation. Donald Trump believes that in every deal there is a winner and there is a loser and he has to be the winner. More than 40 years in outside sales has convinced me that Donald Trump's belief is dead wrong. You may get what you want through bluff, bluster and intimidation (also add in bribery) and come out a "winner"; but you will make enemies who are just waiting to destroy you. The best deals are "win - win" where both sides get something that they want. 

But what may work in some business segments does not work in politics when there are some who just cannot be bought or intimidated. Politics is the "art of the possible" and political deals are always "win win", never with one being a winner than the other being a loser. Donald Trump cannot even get his own party to pass a health care bill after campaigning seven years that they had a better idea. Now he is lashing out at those he needs for support. But Donald Trump is no match for Mitch McConnell who has been in congress for 32 years and is the ultimate political animal. 

A popular book back in the 1960s was The Peter Principle. The "Peter Principle" was that people rose to their level of incompetence. I read it back when I was in college during the late 1960s. Donald Trump is the living example of the "Peter Principle". He enjoyed great success in business through bluff, bluster, bribery and intimidation; but he has risen to his level of incompetence as President. His "art of the deal" doesn't work in politics and his actions will make him enemies.

In politics as in business, enemies are just like those jackals and hyenas on the savanna. As long as the lion is strong and healthy, the jackals and hyenas hide in the grass and give the lion his way and a wide berth. But once that lion shows any signs of weakness, those jackals and hyenas now have the advantage and will attack the lion with no mercy until the lion is dead. At this point, Donald Trump is like that lion who is showing signs of weakness and the jackals and hyenas are coming out of the shadows and in the end Donald Trump will be destroyed. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 27

For those who say they are historians of some sort, I can only recommend that they read the numerous archived information via Consortium news.    The history of Nixon and his treasonous behavior that LBJ refused to release may have been another turning point of history.     More interestingly is that the one man who knew what was in the secret files that left DC with LBJ did the right thing and released them earlier than LBJ requested.   

https://consortiumnews.com/2016/10/27/the-modern-history-of-rigged-us-elections/

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 27

LBJ was a consummate politician who understood how government and politics worked. He was able to make friends and steer enemies to accomplish his agenda. 

Trump is incompetent.  (That is the end of the Trump list)

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 27
lk 152 posted,..

As far as Donald Trump, there has already been much credible evidence that he may be laundering money from the Russian mob through his business via loans with banks in Europe with connections to Russian mobs and Putin. That is a felony punishable by up to ten years in prison as well as forfeiture of assets.

====================================================

"much credible evidence"

Would be so kind to share that evidence with our law enforcement agencies if you have not already done so.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 27

I was all that as well as Order of the Arrow. I never had any sons, but my nephews both made Eagle. In addition my father received their Silver Beaver Award given to adult volunteers. At his death, that was the one thing he was proudest of as well as serving in the Army Air Corps during the Second World War. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.