Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Colored Wimmin Pickin on Bernie

Message 1 of 27

The phrase "in her space" has come up quite a bit in the Biden/Hill dustup. Does anyone know what that is about? I thought her problem was the way the hearings were handled.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 27

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Panjandrum wrote:

Richva:   I just love posting to this thread and having it pop to the top again. It is like putting "I am a racist" bumper stickers on all the cars in the parking lot of a Trump rally

That's so true. They seem to hate being called racist and swear they aren't, but as with all racists, it's something they can't hide. No matter how they try, it will show itself and everyone can see what they are.

How typical of some posters - get together to pat each other on the back, swap kudoes and call your fellow posters racists. I can't believe that is what AARP had in mind when setting these boards up.

Hmm. Interesting point. How do you feel about the fact that some of the comments made might be considered as extremely racist?

What comments? by who??

If you mean C'ville - certainly. If you mean here, you are probably right  - we have posters unable to engage in civil discourse and resort to "Nazi, fascist, kluxer, sexist, racist, homophobe, 'you hate poor brown people' and the such when they have nothing rational to say.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 27

@MsStretch wrote:

The issue of the Robert E. Lee statue took a back seat.  It was irrelevant.  If it attracted "fine people on both sides", who were they?  If indeed the Unite the Right were there to make a point about removing the statue, they blew it.  That is not what the Charlottesville rally will be remembered for. 

Of course it took the back seat - it was lucky it even got in the car. When you have a bunch of thugs screaming profanities and beating each other with clubs - where do you suppose the attention is going to be.

And you're right, a difference of agreement not dealt with by violence fades from memory very fast. However, there were sincere decent people there on both sides of the statue issue lawfully expressing their views.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 27

@rk9152 wrote:

@Panjandrum wrote:

Richva:   I just love posting to this thread and having it pop to the top again. It is like putting "I am a racist" bumper stickers on all the cars in the parking lot of a Trump rally

That's so true. They seem to hate being called racist and swear they aren't, but as with all racists, it's something they can't hide. No matter how they try, it will show itself and everyone can see what they are.

How typical of some posters - get together to pat each other on the back, swap kudoes and call your fellow posters racists. I can't believe that is what AARP had in mind when setting these boards up.

Hmm. Interesting point. How do you feel about the fact that some of the comments made might be considered as extremely racist?

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 27

@rk9152 wrote:

@MsStretch wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@MsStretch wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

This thread  does give a pretty good example of why the right can claim not be be racist.  It is because they are completely clueless. When Trump called the Nazis and KKK in Charlottesville "very fine people", he just did not see anything wrong with what they were doing. 

It is a very good example as to why it is difficult to have a rational discussion on various topics - some insist on clinging to false narratives.  Such as above. Everyone knows what the President was talking about was the people there to express their views about the statue. Yet some cling to the nazi, kluxer fraud. And that is dishonest.

From Wikipedia:

The Unite the Right rally, also known as the Charlottesville rally or Charlottesville riots, was a white supremacist rally that occurred in Charlottesville, Virginia, from August 11 to 12, 2017. Protesters were members of the far-right and included self-identified members of the alt-right, neo-Confederates, neo-fascists, white nationalists, neo-Nazis, Klansmen, and various militias. The marchers chanted racist and antisemitic slogans, carried semi-automatic rifles, Nazi and neo-Nazi symbols (such as the swastika, Odal rune, Black Sun, and Iron Cross), the Valknut, Confederate battle flags, Deus Vult crosses, flags and other symbols of various past and present anti-Muslim and antisemitic groups. Within the Charlottesville area, the rally is often known as A12 or 8/12. The organizers' stated goals included unifying the American white nationalist movement and to oppose removing a statue of Robert E. Lee from Charlottesville's Lee Park.

I watched news footage from the torch protest they had the night before at UVA and I did not hear anyone mention a statue. I heard plenty of anti-Semitic and Nazi epithets though.  I did a cursory search for the video (or similar), but couldn't find it.  However, here is another video that was taken of the Unite the Right protesters.  WARNING: Contains raw language and may be offensive to some viewers.  Again, no one expressing their views about a statue.  What was that about false narratives?

Kid yourself about who is being fraudulent and dishonest.  This was a travesty and I do not subscribe to the president's blithe dismissal of it..

There was a permitted event scheduled over the statue issue. The thugs of the Klan and the thugs of antifa came to town looking for trouble and exposure, and got it.

Rather than listening to the words of the thugs, when trying to understand the President, I'd suggest listening to him.

Any other way would be fraudulent and dishonest. 

You missed the point.  Yes, it was a rally scheduled and permitted over the removal of a statue, but I did not hear one word about history or heritage or saving the statue of a "great general" from any of the protesters.  The statue issue was used as an excuse for the white supremacy gathering.  False narrative?

The president seeks to cling to his base and it is obvious who makes up a big part of that base by his defense of some "really fine people" on both sides.

Regardless, people will see what they want to see and if they feel strongly about it, they will not change their views.  I, for one, refuse to send this racist title to the top again.

True, there was a permitted rally scheduled and in came the Kluxers to do their "thing", not the "thing" of those who scheduled the rally - those are the ones you didn't hear anything about Gen. Lee from and those are the people who made it on the news. Additionally, along came the antifa thugs also looking for a fight - and they got it.
The issue of whether to keep the statue or not did attract fine people on both sides of the issue - do you not consider it an issue that decent people could disagree on?

The issue of the Robert E. Lee statue took a back seat.  It was irrelevant.  If it attracted "fine people on both sides", who were they?  If indeed the Unite the Right were there to make a point about removing the statue, they blew it.  That is not what the Charlottesville rally will be remembered for. 

Friday night, the night before the planned rally was scheduled to begin, a group of about 100 white nationalists marched on the University of Virginia carrying tiki torches and chanting Nazi slogans. Police dispersed the crowd, and one protester was arrested.

Source: Charlottesville Unite the Right rally: what’s happened so far (this was an article that was updated during the day of the rally)

The protesters had already made clear their intent by marching on UVA the night before the rally and with torches, no less.  No one chanted "Save the statue".

Trump defends ‘a great general’ who fought against the U.S.: Robert E. Lee

This president is in la-la land.  You sort of hope he is just babbling for the benefit of his base besties, but if he truly believes what he says, he definitely is #DerangedDonald.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 27

@Panjandrum wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 27

@MsStretch wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@MsStretch wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

This thread  does give a pretty good example of why the right can claim not be be racist.  It is because they are completely clueless. When Trump called the Nazis and KKK in Charlottesville "very fine people", he just did not see anything wrong with what they were doing. 

It is a very good example as to why it is difficult to have a rational discussion on various topics - some insist on clinging to false narratives.  Such as above. Everyone knows what the President was talking about was the people there to express their views about the statue. Yet some cling to the nazi, kluxer fraud. And that is dishonest.

From Wikipedia:

The Unite the Right rally, also known as the Charlottesville rally or Charlottesville riots, was a white supremacist rally that occurred in Charlottesville, Virginia, from August 11 to 12, 2017. Protesters were members of the far-right and included self-identified members of the alt-right, neo-Confederates, neo-fascists, white nationalists, neo-Nazis, Klansmen, and various militias. The marchers chanted racist and antisemitic slogans, carried semi-automatic rifles, Nazi and neo-Nazi symbols (such as the swastika, Odal rune, Black Sun, and Iron Cross), the Valknut, Confederate battle flags, Deus Vult crosses, flags and other symbols of various past and present anti-Muslim and antisemitic groups. Within the Charlottesville area, the rally is often known as A12 or 8/12. The organizers' stated goals included unifying the American white nationalist movement and to oppose removing a statue of Robert E. Lee from Charlottesville's Lee Park.

I watched news footage from the torch protest they had the night before at UVA and I did not hear anyone mention a statue. I heard plenty of anti-Semitic and Nazi epithets though.  I did a cursory search for the video (or similar), but couldn't find it.  However, here is another video that was taken of the Unite the Right protesters.  WARNING: Contains raw language and may be offensive to some viewers.  Again, no one expressing their views about a statue.  What was that about false narratives?

Kid yourself about who is being fraudulent and dishonest.  This was a travesty and I do not subscribe to the president's blithe dismissal of it..

There was a permitted event scheduled over the statue issue. The thugs of the Klan and the thugs of antifa came to town looking for trouble and exposure, and got it.

Rather than listening to the words of the thugs, when trying to understand the President, I'd suggest listening to him.

You missed the point.  Yes, it was a rally scheduled and permitted over the removal of a statue, but I did not hear one word about history or heritage or saving the statue of a "great general" from any of the protesters.  The statue issue was used as an excuse for the white supremacy gathering.  False narrative?

The president seeks to cling to his base and it is obvious who makes up a big part of that base by his defense of some "really fine people" on both sides.

Regardless, people will see what they want to see and if they feel strongly about it, they will not change their views.  I, for one, refuse to send this racist title to the top again.

True, there was a permitted rally scheduled and in came the Kluxers to do their "thing", not the "thing" of those who scheduled the rally - those are the ones you didn't hear anything about Gen. Lee from and those are the people who made it on the news. Additionally, along came the antifa thugs also looking for a fight - and they got it.
The issue of whether to keep the statue or not did attract fine people on both sides of the issue - do you not consider it an issue that decent people could disagree on?
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 27

@Panjandrum wrote:

I lied.

I, for one, refuse to send this racist title to the top again.

You make a perfect point.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 27

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 27

@rk9152 wrote:

@MsStretch wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

From Wikipedia:

Kudos
Views