WATCH VIDEO: Friday's Iowa presidential candidate forum. Appearing are Beto O'Rourke, Elizabeth Warren, Marianne Williamson and Andrew Yang.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Colorado Commission Suspends Harassment Of Cake Baker

Message 11 of 45

Justice for Jack should be a Reminder to Pennsylvania

In a great victory for religious freedom, the Colorado Civil Rights Commission announced Tuesday that it will dismiss its most recent charges against cake artist Jack Phillips, ending over six years of legal battles against him. The state had launched this new prosecution just weeks after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in his favor last year.

“Today is a win for freedom,” commented Jack Phillips. “I’m very grateful and looking forward to serving my customers as I always have: with love and respect.”

In this whole situation, every Pennsylvanian should ask the question: Why did the state ruled against Jack on the first place?

After Jack Phillips declined the message of designing a wedding cake for a same-sex wedding ceremony, the state of Colorado ruled against him, claiming it was unlawful discrimination based on their state’s “SOGI” law – Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity – which added the special statuses of “sexual orientation” and “gender identity” into state antidiscrimination law.

“SOGI laws have been used to target many of our clients,” states Alliance Defending Freedom, the legal team that defended Jack Phillips.

This same type of SOGI law is exactly what has been and continues to be proposed and pressured here in Pennsylvania. This year, legislation is already being proposed to add these special statuses and is sponsored by every Democrat State Senator.

In effect, by introducing a radical SOGI bill here, every Democrat Pennsylvania State Senator is willing to create the hostile climate in PA for the state to go after creative professionals like a cake baker who declines to participate in a message that goes against their sincerely-held religious beliefs. These laws also force sex-specific private areas like locker rooms and showers to be open to the opposite biological sex.

Stay tuned for more from Pennsylvania Family Council on how to stop this SOGI bill in Pennsylvania.

VIMTSTL
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 45

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

I think we pretty much settled that with lunch counter sit-ins in the sixties. If you won't serve blacks, Jews, gays, women, Mexicans, Arabs, people without legs or arms, you need to close your shop to make room for someone who will.

That has nothing to do with this discussion which is based on the first amendment freedom of religion and the exercise of it. 

Oddly enough, that is almost exactly the same argument used by restaurants, hotels, bars, and hospitals in the sixties when blacks were fighting for equal rights. I guess some defenses are just old favorites to people who love to discriminate. 

Really, religion?? I don't recall that - are you sure?

Yep - the majority of American Citizens are quite certain that disingenuous tRump-like rewriting of history is involved...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 45

@Richva wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

I think we pretty much settled that with lunch counter sit-ins in the sixties. If you won't serve blacks, Jews, gays, women, Mexicans, Arabs, people without legs or arms, you need to close your shop to make room for someone who will.

That has nothing to do with this discussion which is based on the first amendment freedom of religion and the exercise of it. 

Oddly enough, that is almost exactly the same argument used by restaurants, hotels, bars, and hospitals in the sixties when blacks were fighting for equal rights. I guess some defenses are just old favorites to people who love to discriminate. 

Really, religion?? I don't recall that - are you sure?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 45

@Richva wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

Depends on your definition of the word "rights". There is no right to refuse service to one group if you are offering your services to the public. The bakers have every right to get out of the business if they don't like the rules or if they interfere with their religious beliefs. They do NOT have the right to pick and chose their customers based on anything other than individual actions. 

So the answer is still 'get out of Dodge' unless you play by my rules?  An individual's right to religious expression is forfeit if they decide to go into business?  A person is expected to lose their constitutional rights when doing so?  Isn't that what a totalitarian regime would demand?

What it basically boils down to is that the couple demanding a cake is considered to have more rights than the Christian baker wanting to maintain his religious beliefs.  No individual freedoms is allowed.

Which lunch counter was someone with or without legs denied service in that we are talking about??

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 45

@Richva wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

Oddly enough, that is almost exactly the same argument used by restaurants, hotels, bars, and hospitals in the sixties when blacks were fighting for equal rights. I guess some defenses are just old favorites to people who love to discriminate

To the contrary, the arguments were not based on religion or being forced to violate one's religious beliefs.  However the argument you and others are putting out is that a person has no right to these beliefs in the business world. 

Have a good evening.

Yes. I remember when it was against the shop owner's religion to serve blacks.  Just like racism but targeting a different group.  Tell me again about this whole "prince of peace" thing. (Those bakers are friggin' hypocrites)

@Richva You're confusing "Those bakers" with the democrat party members in the 50s and 60s.  It is now 2019 and most of those old dimms are either dead or have come around to understand there is only one race of people on the earth... The human race.  Of course there does seem to be a few of those old dimms around that insist on grouping people based on their skin color.  It's 2019 people... Get with the program.

Enjoy your day, the sun is up and blue skies here in Florida this morning.

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 45

46366156_2357255987635264_37981027158720512_n.jpg

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 45

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

Oddly enough, that is almost exactly the same argument used by restaurants, hotels, bars, and hospitals in the sixties when blacks were fighting for equal rights. I guess some defenses are just old favorites to people who love to discriminate

To the contrary, the arguments were not based on religion or being forced to violate one's religious beliefs.  However the argument you and others are putting out is that a person has no right to these beliefs in the business world. 

Have a good evening.

Yes. I remember when it was against the shop owner's religion to serve blacks.  Just like racism but targeting a different group.  Tell me again about this whole "prince of peace" thing. (Those bakers are friggin' hypocrites)

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 45

@alferdpacker wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

the baker has as many rights under the Constitution as the couple who wanted him to design a cake that would violate his religious beliefs.  The posts against him continually ignores that his rights by insisting that the couple's rights override his. 

Nope - never posted anything of the sort.

He is entitled to his quaint beliefs - no matter how outre they may be...

Of course that is your implication.  The basis of negative posts here has been that he has no rights but the couple does.  His beliefs might be quaint to you, but they are written into the Constitution's First Amendment. 

Have a good evening.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 45

@Richva wrote:

Have a good evening.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 45

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

Kudos
Views