Honored Social Butterfly

Colin Powell says he'll be voting for Biden

The GOP defections are starting.  First George W Bush wrote a thinly veiled critique of Trump's performance,  Then Mitt Romney and Lisa Murkowski  announced they were trying to decide whether to even vote for Trump. Now Colin Powell announces. 

I believe the real source of this rebellion was Tritter fact checking and then blocking Trump. When Trump was unable to marshal any punishment of Twitter, daylight was on his inabillity to exact revenge. 

There will be more. 

The former member of George W. Bush’s Cabinet rips President Donald Trump."I'm very close to Joe Biden in a social matter and in a political matter," Powell told CNN's Jake Tapper on “State of the Union” Sunday morning. "I've worked with him for 35, 40 years. And he is now the candidate and I will be voting for him."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/07/colin-powell-voting-joe-biden-305335 

Honored Social Butterfly

Trump calls Colin Powell a ‘real stiff’

“Colin Powell, a real stiff who was very responsible for getting us into the disastrous Middle East Wars, just announced he will be voting for another stiff, Sleepy Joe Biden. Didn’t Powell say that Iraq had ‘weapons of mass destruction?’ They didn’t, but off we went to WAR!,” Trump wrote on Twitter shortly after Powell appeared on CNN.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/07/trump-calls-colin-powell-a-real-stiff-for-endorsing-biden/

iraq wmd colin.gif

Honored Social Butterfly

tRump is sinking fast and I hope  a whole lot of Senate Republicans along with a bunch of his supporters go down in the same ship with him.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

In the Senate the Republicans are defending 23 seats. The Dems 12. Dems have a shot at winning control of the Senate 

Regular Social Butterfly

Re: Colin Powell voting for Biden...With his stance on certain political issues, I would expect nothing less from Mr Powell.

Source wikipedia:   liberal RepublicanPowell is well known for his willingness to support liberal or centrist causes. He is pro-choice regarding abortion, and in favor of "reasonable" gun control.

As a reminder, Powell endorsed Democrat Barack Obama in 2008, Democrat Obama in 2012, and Democrat Hillary Clinton in 2016. Over on CNN Newsroom,

I don't see anything concerning regarding his vote...

TRUMP-PENCE 2020!!! To Save This Country From The Insanity of The Dems!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Sunluver said: I don't see anything concerning regarding his vote...

Here you go Sunluver

Former Republican Secretary of State Colin Powell said Sunday he will vote for Joe Biden in the upco...

Regular Social Butterfly

Richva wrote:  Here you go Sunluver

Former Republican Secretary of State Colin Powell said Sunday he will vote for Joe Biden in the upco...

@Richva   I repeat...I don't see anything concerning regarding his vote...

In other words, i am not the least bit concerned regarding Powells vote for biden.

AND as i said previously, considering his stance on certain political issues, i would expect nothing less.

Then, in doing more research on the man, i see he voted for owebama in 08 and 12 and hillary clinton in 2016...so there ya go Rich  😁

Honored Social Butterfly

Sunluver said: 

I repeat...I don't see anything concerning regarding his vote...

In other words, i am not the least bit concerned regarding Powells vote for biden.

AND as i said previously, considering his stance on certain political issues, i would expect nothing less.

Then, in doing more research on the man, i see he voted for owebama in 08 and 12 and hillary clinton in 2016...so there ya go Rich  😁

So............your argument is that because Colin Powell, respected SoS under George W Bush. prominent Republican. Noted scholar, did not use the exact words “I will vote against Donald Trump”. After saying that Trump lies constantly. Did you think he would still vote for Trump or, perhaps, that he would not vote at all?

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

Sunluver said: 

I repeat...I don't see anything concerning regarding his vote...

Richva wrote:  So............your argument is that because Colin Powell, respected SoS under George W Bush. prominent Republican. Noted scholar, did not use the exact words “I will vote against Donald Trump”. After saying that Trump lies constantly. Did you think he would still vote for Trump or, perhaps, that he would not vote at all?

No Rich, my "point" is that he doesn't agree with President Trump on certain political issues AND he's voted for a democrat at least as far back as 2008, SOOO, i wouldn't expect him to change and vote Republican now.

I'm just surprised that he hasn't changed parties, in those 12 years! lol

Honored Social Butterfly

GEN Powell "broke" with the Republican Party shortly after he realized he'd been given a soggy bag of lies to present to the United Nations in Feb 2003.  He continued to serve his country honorably as Secretary of State until Jan 2005, but NEVER voiced his support for Republican "causes" like voter suppression and denial of civil rights.

Esteemed Social Butterfly

George Bush and Mitt Romney said they will not support IMPOTUS.  While most GOP big-names have skirted the issue of who they will vote for, they also have not shown much enthusiasm for a reelection of the incumbent.  Many would like to preserve the party, but are seen as wanting to oust the clown.

Another article: George W. Bush and Mitt Romney won't support Trump in 2020, while some GOP officials consider voting...

Honored Social Butterfly

I would also be surprised if Romney endorsed Trump after Mitt voted impeach the president.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Colin Powell endorsed Hillary, and against Trump in 2016. I would be surprised that after 3 1/2 years of Trump that Powell would change his view.

2016 -- Colin Powell Endorses Hillary Clinton for President

https://www.newsday.com/news/nation/colin-powell-endorses-hillary-clinton-for-president-1.12504956

(CBS News) Former Secretary of State Colin Powell broke with the Republican party during the 2008 election, to endorse then-candidate Barack Obama

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/colin-powell-endorses-barack-obama-for-president/

Honored Social Butterfly

Gordy said: 

Colin Powell endorsed Hillary, and against Trump in 2016. I would be surprised that after 3 1/2 years of Trump that Powell would change his view.

I remember the regressives telling us that Trump was going to become much more presidential after the election.  I figure Trump had 3 1/2 years to demonstrate that Colin's 2018 assessment was incorrect and Trump failed at that as well as everything else he has tried. 

How many different Democrats does Colin have to endorse before the regressives realize it is Colin saying it is just that Trump is incompetent? 

Honored Social Butterfly

LOL!!

Colin Powell has not voted Republican since 2004 so why are you surprised???

VIMTSTL
Honored Social Butterfly

Jim says: Colin Powell has not voted Republican since 2004 so why are you surprised???

No, not surprised. I think it says more about the Republican party than Colin Powell.  

Honored Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:

LOL!!

Colin Powell has not voted Republican since 2004 so why are you surprised???

Consistent with all well informed intelligent Americans!!!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

Colin Powell is a REAL Republican conservative, he is not a Trump Cult member. You're right, we're starting to see a wave of defections from true conservatives who place our democracy and america ahead of party.

Honored Social Butterfly

The time has come that we need to understand that being silent is as complicit in any action as the person performing the  action.
I have criticized many Republicans for doing that. Their silence is complicit to Trump 's    actions. and they need to become accountable for their silence.

No American should think that they owe allegiance  to any political party  if that party does  not conform with their beliefs.

no name
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png