Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Colin Kaepernick explains why he sat during national anthem

Message 41 of 216

@MIseker wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Well said, j30.

The part that annoys me is that the NFL can mandate the color of socks the players wear and their post TD antics in the end-zone but not the lack of respect for our nation.

Can't or won't???

what happened to your firm beliefs in free speech? its ok for Nazi'z and Kluxxers but not the black football player? This tells us all our suspicions about you are..actually truths.

Did you read my post about socks and antics??

Possibly you might want to try again dealing with my actual words not what stuff "tells us all".

And there goes the racism of the left again - "black football player". What has his race to do with this? It is OUR flag, OUR national anthem. Football players, regardless of their race are part of US.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 216

They can't mandate patriotism, respect, or whatever you may view it as. Everyone is different in that regard. 

The league is an open market, with some physical skills that are mandatory.

Teams can put what players they want on their roster, just like a business can staff up to make it work and be profitable.

Whatever the reasons are...Kaepernick chose a really visible manner to show his view.

Others here disagree with my comments that I will not watch etc. How is that for equity?

I am not mandated to watch. I wrote (maybe not enough to satisfy some) in my post that I respect his decision and right to protest. When is a differring point of view ok if it is what some may consider conservative? There is a thinker.

That is my decision as much as Kaepernick's to protest is, and a team to sign him is.

People like to throw lables. I do not get wrapped into that. I will exercise my rights to choose and act as I see fit, thank you for your opinion.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 216

Hmm, spent a good deal of time making sure I respected differring opinions, however; some just see what they want to see.

Think about that.

That is America today.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 216

Olderscout66: Republcans are attempting to create another "Flagpin-on-lapel" to divert attention from the disgusting nature of their policies. The protestors have every right to  demonstrate their dissatisfaction with the way things are going - it's called "Redress of Greviences" and our founding fathers considered it the most important Right they were going to enshrine for all time.

Exactly. I see some major irony in outrage over a supposed slight to respecting the country when they are loyal supporters of a president who probably colluded with Russia to win an election (and God only knows what other entanglements). Pathetic hardly covers it.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 216

@j30122w wrote:

Kaepernick can protest all he wants. So can other players. 

Do I agree? No.

I served our country and have a great deal of pride about it. Having seen how others around the world have to live has done nothing but boosted my love of our land and the opportunity that we all have here.

If he wants to sit there and protest whatever it is that he is protesting, then good for him!

Let's be fair to all sides because that is what we do here, or are supposed to do, right?

We have established Kaepernick excersizing his rights.

Let us examine the business side of things.

The NFL is one of the strongest brands in the country, possibly the world.

Undoubtedly teams that have had or still do have a need for a QB took a look at Kaepernick. 

Something else I bet they looked at was the makeup of their fan base, their beliefs, and possibly how they felt about Mr. Kaepernick sitting or kneeling on the sideline and possibly influencing others to do the same. How could that impact a locker room and the coehesiveness of a team? These are likely real concerns.

His contract could be an expensive one. Undoubtedly we are talking about millions of dollars here.

What if they determined that there would be a potential loss of revenue becuase of a signing of him?

Some people do vote with their dollars. Perhaps the GM's determined the ROI on signing him just was not worth the risk.

And hey, here is the real issue. The GM's have every RIGHT to not sign Kaepernick, just like an employer does not have to hire you, me, or the next person.

Rights apply to all, deal with your decision Mr. Kaepernick. I respect your decision to do so, and so do 32 NFL teams. 

This is pretty easy stuff to figure out. He took a very definite and controversial position and has extreme transparency to the media and the public. He has to deal with his consequences. We have all paid the price at some point in our lives for actions we took that may have rubbed someone wrong. If you don't think so then congratulations you must be perfect. The thing is, he picked a really big audience, and many of them disagree with it.

Personally, as much as I love the game I would make it a point to completely avoid watching any game he is a part of, even on the sidelines and even if it was my home team.

I will bet that I am not alone.

That is my right, and no one can take it away.

I wish him luck in his future, he is a probably a multi millionaire and an adult. He will be famous for odd reasons, likely wasted prime athletic years and missing out on a boatload of money. 

Again, free will. Kudos to him if that is what he wants.

The real nu, that they won't sign him becausets and bolts here is that no one owes him anything, and no one has taken anything from him. His rights are all his.

I will exercise my right to make up my own mind, no help needed there. 

I can bet that the owners feel happy making their own decisions as well.

If this protest thing goes viral in the NFL, I can always find ways to spend my time and money watching something else or spending time with my Vet buddies. Hey, that is our right isn't it?

Funny how that works.

I agree with much of what you said.  The hypocrisy is that none of the teams will come out and say what you said, that they won't sign him because it would upset some of the fans.

IMO, it's also hypocritical for someone to say they love America and all it's rights, yet shows such disdain for another exercising their rights, peacefully and without ill-will.  This goes for so-called fans or posters here. It's OK to protest, just don't protest what I like or else Ill boycot the games.  A little shallow, IMO. 

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 216

@MIseker wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Well said, j30.

The part that annoys me is that the NFL can mandate the color of socks the players wear and their post TD antics in the end-zone but not the lack of respect for our nation.

Can't or won't???

what happened to your firm beliefs in free speech? its ok for Nazi'z and Kluxxers but not the black football player? This tells us all our suspicions about you are..actually truths.

It's called, being a hypocrit.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 216

@rk9152 wrote:

Well said, j30.

Can't or won't???

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 216

Well said, j30.

Can't or won't???

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 216

Kaepernick can protest all he wants. So can other players. 

Do I agree? No.

I served our country and have a great deal of pride about it. Having seen how others around the world have to live has done nothing but boosted my love of our land and the opportunity that we all have here.

If he wants to sit there and protest whatever it is that he is protesting, then good for him!

Let's be fair to all sides because that is what we do here, or are supposed to do, right?

We have established Kaepernick excersizing his rights.

Let us examine the business side of things.

The NFL is one of the strongest brands in the country, possibly the world.

Undoubtedly teams that have had or still do have a need for a QB took a look at Kaepernick. 

Something else I bet they looked at was the makeup of their fan base, their beliefs, and possibly how they felt about Mr. Kaepernick sitting or kneeling on the sideline and possibly influencing others to do the same. How could that impact a locker room and the coehesiveness of a team? These are likely real concerns.

His contract could be an expensive one. Undoubtedly we are talking about millions of dollars here.

What if they determined that there would be a potential loss of revenue becuase of a signing of him?

Some people do vote with their dollars. Perhaps the GM's determined the ROI on signing him just was not worth the risk.

And hey, here is the real issue. The GM's have every RIGHT to not sign Kaepernick, just like an employer does not have to hire you, me, or the next person.

Rights apply to all, deal with your decision Mr. Kaepernick. I respect your decision to do so, and so do 32 NFL teams. 

This is pretty easy stuff to figure out. He took a very definite and controversial position and has extreme transparency to the media and the public. He has to deal with his consequences. We have all paid the price at some point in our lives for actions we took that may have rubbed someone wrong. If you don't think so then congratulations you must be perfect. The thing is, he picked a really big audience, and many of them disagree with it.

Personally, as much as I love the game I would make it a point to completely avoid watching any game he is a part of, even on the sidelines and even if it was my home team.

I will bet that I am not alone.

That is my right, and no one can take it away.

I wish him luck in his future, he is a probably a multi millionaire and an adult. He will be famous for odd reasons, likely wasted prime athletic years and missing out on a boatload of money. 

Again, free will. Kudos to him if that is what he wants.

The real nuts and bolts here is that no one owes him anything, and no one has taken anything from him. His rights are all his.

I will exercise my right to make up my own mind, no help needed there. 

I can bet that the owners feel happy making their own decisions as well.

If this protest thing goes viral in the NFL, I can always find ways to spend my time and money watching something else or spending time with my Vet buddies. Hey, that is our right isn't it?

Funny how that works.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 216

@creppelrm wrote:

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”  Quote from a book by Sinclair Lewis.

Yes it will and that is what is happening today . Kaepenick talks about racism and discrimination wrapped in "patriotism".

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/49ers-Quarterback-Colin-Kaepernick-Says-He-Has-Received-Death-T...

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors