Know someone over 50 who is making a difference? Nominate them for the AARP Purpose Prize.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Coal or Fracking?

Message 1 of 14

@afisher wrote:

Oh my - knowing half or some the facts is sufficient to demand that coal mining should continue.   That is beyond sad.    I could direct you to other information that will dispute the information, but if a few lines of information is all that is necessary for someone to believe that coal is great and the pollution is just an acceptable byproduct to keep some jobs in the US - then they were not actually looking to form an informed decision, imo.   Want another spoon ful?  

If you can dispense your sarcasms  for at least today, What I would like to know if metalurgical coal which is a product that is used in production of Steel could be used in the US  to at least promote the manu**bleep**turing of steel and revive that industry. so that we can stop using the cheap stuff that we import.

Now, Like I have stated. I don't know the consequences that this melalurgical coal has as far as the enviroment. But apparent these two plants are ready for functioning in 2017 If you don't happen to know about any of this, you are not required to answer.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 14

Fossil fuel sources may continue to be reduced as an energy source here and in some other countries but there are still many who will continue to use it as their industrialization grows because it is cheap.

That doesn't explain why Peabody Coal went bankrupt, nothing is stopping them from exporting coal other then they can't make money doing it.

No one other then the market is killing coal.

Prices for high-quality U.S. metallurgical coal have fallen in recent years, from $300 per ton to below $100, but recently rebounded to around $140 amid production cuts in China, rising demand in India and supply interruptions in Australia, said James Stevenson, director of North American coal for analyst firm IHS.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 14

Oh my - knowing half or some the facts is sufficient to demand that coal mining should continue.   That is beyond sad.    I could direct you to other information that will dispute the information, but if a few lines of information is all that is necessary for someone to believe that coal is great and the pollution is just an acceptable byproduct to keep some jobs in the US - then they were not actually looking to form an informed decision, imo.   Want another spoon ful?  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 14

Thanks Gail that is what I have wanted to see in response to my question

A $90 million investment that runs against the trend of coal bankruptcies and mine closures should enable two new coal mines and related facilities to open in West Virginia and Virginia next year, coal developer Ramaco Development and partners announced Tuesday.

The mines would extract metallurgical coal, the type used for steel production. Most metallurgical coal mined in the U.S. is exported overseas.

Kentucky-based Ramaco's partnership with two private equity firms will directly create some 400 jobs, Ramaco CEO Randall Atkins told The Associated Press.

The Elk Creek Mine in southern West Virginia and the Berwind Mine spanning the boundary between southern West Virginia and Virginia will be operational for around 17 years. Test mining at both sites should begin by early next year and work on the Elk Creek Mine's coal preparation plant will start even sooner, according to Ramaco.

"We will start construction at the Elk Creek property just as soon as we get all the equipment lined up there," Atkins said

If this type of metalurgical coal can help in the production of steel  This is the way that we should go. We need to stop the importation of steel in this country and try to revive that steel industry that for years now have been decimated by cheap imports.

I don't know the enviromental issue that any of this can represent. but, I will agree that this could be a way to go.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 14

Metallurgical coal is used in the production of steel - here and elsewhere.

$90M Investment for (2) New Met Coal Mines 09/08/2016 - Iowa Public Tv

And coal is still the major export in at least (4)!states and these are NOT low paying jobs - they are established middle class jobs.   In fact, if you remove the coal industry from many towns in these areas, the towns and the people will wither on the vine.

Fossil fuel sources may continue to be reduced as an energy source here and in some other countries but there are still many who will continue to use it as their industrialization grows because it is cheap.

Many of the other countries look at us and say, well, yea, they got theirs and now want to stop us from getting ours.

MY SIGNATURE: "It’s Always something" - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 14

So Fisher there are no other uses for coal? none at all? 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 14

1.    A simple google search indicates that the most productive coal mining is in Wyoming.    So why is Trump telling West Virginia he is going to revive coal there?    None of the major Mining conglomerates are mining there.

2.    All of the major mining companies in the US are in bankruptcies - which will cut their financial losses and skrew the actual miners out of pension money.   

3.    Leave it in the ground is a good plan - unless you are a politician who claimed that cutting off the tops of mountains was an okay process, aka the libertarian way.   He (yes I deleted the name)  then went on to explain that mountaintop removal isn’t that bad, anyway, saying, “I don’t think anybody’s going to bemissing a hill or two here and there”:

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 14

We all know that coal is passe. as an energy provider. But is there any other use for Coal? 
What can be used  that is not as energy> Or do we simply close all mines and let coal rest forver underground?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 14

Coal or Fracking?

Fracking doesn't just produce natural gas, it also produces oil.

Coal or fracking is pretty much a no brainer, it's going to be fracking.

Mine coal if you can make money at it, but I'm not sure you can.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/13/news/companies/peabody-coal-bankruptcy/

Peabody Energy, the world's largest private-sector coal producer, filed for bankruptcy on Wednesday in a U.S. court, citing "unprecedented" industry pressures and a sharp decline in the price of coal.

I

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 14

"...rker321 wrote:

Gail please excuse me but i read the article and didn't see anything about coal, just crude where is it?

But anyone I have to say that I don't like mines at all....".

If you look at the maps on the link, the one under exports heading, you'll see coal. You have to drill down into the data in other links to find specifics. Only econ nerds like myself do that.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views