Honored Social Butterfly

Chicago mayor blames lack of 'federal strategy' on guns for city's rising murder rate

By:  Miica soliner

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot said getting guns out of the hands of dangerous people is the way to help reduce her city's growing murder rate.

After being told that the police union blames her for a lack of moral among the city's law enforcement officials, Lightfoot said in a plea to the federal government that there needs to be more restrictions and increased background checks when it comes to the sale of firearms.

"We have got to make sure that we do a better job of taking guns out of the hands of criminals," Lightfoot said Friday on MSNBC Live With Stephanie Ruhle. "We have to have a federal policy on background checks and making sure that dangerous people are not able to go across the border to states like Indiana and get military-grade weapons in quantities and then bring them back to the streets and shoot people up. That’s what’s happening."

Overall crime has fallen in Chicago, but shootings and murders are up, according to NBC Chicago. Shootings increased by 71% in May with 409 people becoming victims of gun violence. That's up from 332 shooting victims in May 2019, according to police statistics. Murders also increased by about 60% with 85 recorded in May compared to 53 in May last year.

Over the Independence Day weekend, 87 people were shot in the city with 17 victims dying from their injuries, according to ABC 7 of Chicago. One victim included 7-year-old girl Natalia Wallace.

Trump sent a letter to Lightfoot and Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker, calling on them to formulate a strategy to bolster law enforcement efforts to deter violent crime.

Lightfoot, a Democrat, cited a lack of a federal partnership with the local government to contributing to illegal firearms on the streets of Chicago.

"There’s way too many illegal guns on our streets, and we can’t fight that fight alone," she said. "We got to have a federal strategy on this. We’re going to continue to do what we can do. We’re going to continue to make sure that we are flooding these dangerous hot spots with resources to make sure that we keep our communities safe, but we’re fighting a losing battle. If we don’t have a federal partnership on restricting access to guns in the hands of dangerous criminals, we've got to have partnership on that."

The mayor also said they "can't afford not to" invest in communities where violence is prevalent, saying those taking part in criminal activity often feel they have no other choice.

"Violence is crimes of poverty, violence is crimes of people feeling like they have no hope," Lightfoot said. "When we see young men feeling they’re like only destiny is to be on a corner on somebody’s drug spot, we got to change that around and let them know that their future actually can and should be in careers and college, but we’ve got to make those kinds of investments to make that real. ... We’ve got to the find the resources, and we have them, to uplift neighborhoods."

VIMTSTL
Honored Social Butterfly

Seems the disaster that is tRump is becoming impossible for Republicans to deny, so they attack the basis of advanced civilization - Big Cities.

ToadPOTUS played to his base and did NOTHING for MONTHS to combat the Covid19. In point of fact, in America, the disease needs to be redesignated as tRumpvid20 to properly identify its origin in the US of A.

GOPers lie and say Toad didn't get any prep for the Pandemic when in reality Toad DISMANTLED the  Emergency Pandemic Response Teams President Obama had created in the CDC and NSA and then Toad fired the experts. Next Toad stopped maintaining the material in the National Emergency Medical Stockpile so when Covid hit, a lot of the stuff had deteriorated and was simply unusable. And then when our national security folks told Toad a Pandemic was on its way from China, Cadet Bonespurs called his BFF Xi in China who told Toad all was under control, so Toad believed Xi instead of our experts, and again DID NOTHING FOR MONTHS.

When Toad final DID do something, it was a disaster - he told the world he was shutting down air travel from China and Europe, causing a panic that drove AMERICANS to rush back to the States, causing huge human logjams in our airports spreading the virus like wildfire. Then he made NOT wearing a Mask a sign of Toad Worship, pushed the GOPerGovs to open their businesses WITHOUT REGARD FOR THE SITUATION, and the numbers of dead and dying skyrocketed.

The issue for this election is not who is the better leader, the issue is who will kill the fewest Americans, and with Toad rapidly approaching the total killed by Hitler, no sane person can even consider ANOTHER 4 years for the psychopathic moron tRump.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Olderscout66 said:  The issue for this election is not who is the better leader, the issue is who will kill the fewest Americans, and with Toad rapidly approaching the total killed by Hitler, no sane person can even consider ANOTHER 4 years for the psychopathic moron tRump.

@Olderscout66   The mayor referenced in this article is an idiot, like way to many people in office these days and NO President Trump is NOT one of the idiots. That hate story just don't fly anymore. The proof is in the puddin' people!

Are you kidding me?!?!  This election is for dang sure about WHO IS THE BETTER LEADER, because the better leader will kill the fewest Americans (possible) AND KEEP America GREAT!  and that man, whether you all will admit it or not is PRESIDENT TRUMP!!  He's proven that in the last almost 4 years.And THAT kind of comment right there by you all, is EXACTLY what i was talking about when i said people don't stand up for what's right over what's wrong anymore!  They're either ignorant to the insanity going on in this country or they just don't care.  Blamin' Trump doesn't fly anymore either.  The TRUTH will prevail. Hating Trump is no longer a good enough reason for this wide spread insanity!!  Period.

On the other hand, BIDEN has not "built back better" in almost 50 years!!!  THAT'S A FACT...deal with it.  This country, the morals and the lives and livelihoods of the people in this country are at stake here!

TRUMP-PENCE 2020!!! To Save This Country From The Insanity of The Dems!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Chicago is now in the "send lawyers guns and money" phase. 

Maybe just send more bullets and let the thugs sort it out? Nothing else seems to work... sort-of-a, chop zone of death.  Sooner or later the thug version of Hatfield's and McCoy's will end, we can pronounce a winner and build a statue in their honor. 

yeah.... that's the ticket

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Looks like record gun sales.... again. 

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/16/891608244/protests-and-pandemic-spark-record-gun-sales

Might need some more of those high capacity magazines... and I'm running out of targets. Sheriff  dept opened their range 2 days a week to the county residents to train and receive law enforcement instruction. 

Might come in handy

Honored Social Butterfly

@sunluvngal wrote:

Olderscout66 said:  The issue for this election is not who is the better leader, the issue is who will kill the fewest Americans, and with Toad rapidly approaching the total killed by Hitler, no sane person can even consider ANOTHER 4 years for the psychopathic moron tRump.

@Olderscout66   The mayor referenced in this article is an idiot, like way to many people in office these days and NO President Trump is NOT one of the idiots. That hate story just don't fly anymore. The proof is in the puddin' people!

Are you kidding me?!?!  This election is for dang sure about WHO IS THE BETTER LEADER, because the better leader will kill the fewest Americans (possible) AND KEEP America GREAT!  and that man, whether you all will admit it or not is PRESIDENT TRUMP!!  He's proven that in the last almost 4 years.And THAT kind of comment right there by you all, is EXACTLY what i was talking about when i said people don't stand up for what's right over what's wrong anymore!  They're either ignorant to the insanity going on in this country or they just don't care.  Blamin' Trump doesn't fly anymore either.  The TRUTH will prevail. Hating Trump is no longer a good enough reason for this wide spread insanity!!  Period.

On the other hand, BIDEN has not "built back better" in almost 50 years!!!  THAT'S A FACT...deal with it.  This country, the morals and the lives and livelihoods of the people in this country are at stake here!

The mayor is correct as every country that has reduced guns has less gun crimes.

Now you say the election is who is the better leader. That is true.

Biden has years of service to this country and is respected by both Reb. & Dems. working for abetter USA. Now lets look at Trump. He is mentally impaired per the mental health experts including one in his own family. He lies over 90% of the time. He is disowned by anyone who has worked for him as totally corrupt and a Mob Boss. He has killed people, and put policies in place that do that like we are seeing with the virus. He approved Russia paying up to 100,000 per US service person killed in AFG. He held up military aid to Ukraine until they  would agree to say his untrue story about the Biden family was true which resulted in many  Ukraine armed forces people being killed in its war  with Russia. Started a Trade was with China which he lost. Promised Mexico would pay for a border wall he would build, then stole the money from our Military to build part of it. Everyone who worked for him in Govt. and left has warned us Trump is a danger to the USA and should not be President.

Trump backers take information from their leaders and pass it on with out understanding any of it. Lets take AZ as an example. Trump had the Gov. of AZ (his lackey) junk a working plan to control the virus, and use a Trump plan. The Medical experts in AZ told the Gov. told the Gov. it would lead to disaster and it has. Parts of AZ have the  highest % of virus people in the population of anyplace in the world. Hospitals over topped all over the State. Navajo nation closes it people off from the rest of the State to keep them from getting the virus and have a lot die. Bordering States  tell people from AZ to not come  into their State. Guess what Trump supporters support  this and support Trump. His supporters have no morals, and think it is fine to sacrifice people for Trump. Everything is done to please the dear leader and that is why they say such nonsense about Biden.

Honored Social Butterfly

FYI:   This is a distraction game.   Focus on this and not on the thousands dying at the hands of donald and his regime.  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Regular Social Butterfly

afisher wrote:

FYI:   This is a distraction game.   Focus on this and not on the thousands dying at the hands of donald and his regime.  

Posting what's going on in the world is a "distraction game"?  lol  Not like your response to this post right?...trying to turn it to President Trump instead of dealing with the topic of the thread.  Unbelieveable!

I'm surprised (not) to see so many seemingly anti gun posts...figures though.  Must be a bunch of city folk, that wouldn't know how to fire one if you had one.  😊  

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@afisher 

Grear point. Gun deaths now pale in comparison to the virus deaths, caused by trump’s inactions and incompetence...and the numbers will continue to increase. 

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot said getting guns out of the hands of dangerous people is the way to help reduce her city's growing murder rate.

Criminals and "dangerous people" will ALWAYS have guns.  EVERYBODY has to know this, so just stop with the insanity!

This mayor blaming guns in the wrong hands, instead of a total lack of courage on her part, for the rising murder rate and violence is what's wrong!  Standing up for the wrong group(s) of people is what's wrong!  The democratic stance on ALL the violence is what's wrong!

Attacking people for defending their own homes from the insanity, is what's wrong.  Taking THEIR guns instead of  the criminals and prosecuting those that are breaking the law almost daily is what's wrong.

Too many people standing up for wrong over right...THAT'S what's wrong all over this country!!

Yesss, i'm tired of the insanity and the ridiculous excuses made by those that are simply too cowardly or ignorant to stand up for what's right!!  

Honored Social Butterfly

The good news is that the NRA is going broke and is laying off employees, otherwise known as lobbyists.   

This particular moment in the history of USA may be the time that several groups need to be re-organized.    The FED has been allowing the police to become more and more militarized.   The majority of people are now saying ENOUGH - we want police to not act like citizens are enemy armies.    

Judges are under pressure to sign no-knock warrants in the middle of the night, when they have no time / patience to clearly understand what they are signing.    Do we really believe that cops are just being cops, when they break into homes ( not always the right one) / guns at the ready to shoot / kill people who they have just awoken....really?

I don't love or hate guns, just like I don't love or hate cops...but now is the time to rethink the job description of cops and to rethink - why do people need to have a Semi-automatic weapon in their homes.     To say that people "need" that gun - is to admit that the US is no longer a beacon of bright light but a second rate nation.  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

I read the information about the 'cost' and there's a back story for a 10K AK-47.

If you're a 'bad' guy and want to buy a AK not already used in a crime (clean) it cost 10K (street value). If you have legal authorization to own one... $2300 will get you an AK in Australia.

*That's from a poster on a gun forum I belong to. 

In the US, if you're a felon and want to buy a gun it's usually 4X the retail value. Average price for a AR is $800 with less expensive and more expensive variants. AK's sell for about the same as a AR.  

Honored Social Butterfly

Sounds good to me. Let’s make all guns illegal so the felons have to spend several thousand dollars to buy one

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

Sounds good to me. Let’s make all guns illegal so the felons have to spend several thousand dollars to buy one

There's that pesky thing called the Second Amendment to the Constitution.  Besides not everyone who owns guns are criminals.

Honored Social Butterfly

What about the constitution, kinda gets in the way.... right? 

We already have 10,000+ laws and regulations regarding firearms. If guns were to expensive to buy in the US... think of the black market opportunities. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Constitution is no problem - its been LONG established that the Government has the right to ban certain TYPES of weapons from civilian ownership, and simply replacing all those unenforceable and useless laws with a simple ban on any automatic or semi-automatic firearm that can fire more than 8 times before reloading solves all of the problem amenable to solution.

Converting all the AK-47 and M-16 clones now out there is a simple matter of blocking/removing the gas tube that activates the "restart" with every shot fired. No more concerns about "ugly guns", no more dithering about barrel length or the ability to mount a bayonet - just no guns that are designed with the sole intent of killing the maximum number of human beings in the minimum amount of time.

For those who are certain they need to send 120+ rounds per minute against their attackers, I recommend you dust off AND READ a copy of Dave Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People because there's WAY too many people who want to kill you.

Honored Social Butterfly

Repetitive post with talking points. I could write them for you. 

I might need multiple thirty rounds magazines, if antifa shows up. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Repetitive post with talking points. I could write them for you. 

I might need multiple thirty rounds magazines, if antifa shows up. 

Antifa?  Oh yeah. I hope they show up riding their war unicorns.

Honored Social Butterfly

Antifa?  Oh yeah. I hope they show up riding their war unicorns.

Rioting and burning in those liberal cities - that's where you will find Antifa.

Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Riding and burning in those liberal cities - that's where you will find Antifa.

Mostly in books by Dr. Seuss and  then in Trump's worst nightmares. Seems to happen every time he shelters in the bunker (and that is getting to be A LOT). 

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Riding and burning in those liberal cities - that's where you will find Antifa.

Richva wrote:

Mostly in books by Dr. Seuss and  then in Trump's worst nightmares. Seems to happen every time he shelters in the bunker (and that is getting to be A LOT). 

@Richva from sunluvngal:  

NOTHAPPENING is right in that comment and you know it.  lol  Another ridiculous comment from the Trump haters.  President Trump wasn't in the bunker for 89 DAYS like scaredy cat...make that copycat biden, actually biden is BOTH!   

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Never saw Antifa in Dr Seuss but I do see them on the internet and TV in the riots daily in the liberal cities.  You are mistaken - Biden is hiding in his (basement) bunker because he is afraid to debate Trump!

Honored Social Butterfly

The mayor didn't "blame" the lack of sensible NATIONAL gun laws as EXPOSE it as the root cause of gun violence.

Nobody NEEDS a military grade weapon that can fire more than 8 rounds before reloading

Nobody NEEDS a weapon that can fire 120 times a minute for extended periods.

Remove the guns nobody NEEDS and they can have all the OTHER guns they WANT, even all the Ugly Guns like AK-47s and M-16's - they just won't be "military grade" in their ability to kill the maximum number of human beings in the shortest possible time.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:

By:  Miica soliner

Here we go again, folks but it's getting worse.

Now the source's first and last names are misspelled, I suppose to make it more difficult to track them down.

Yet, find them I did.

And my theory still holds.

There is a minuscule circle of resources that conservatives use for their posts on this web site.

This one leads you again to one of those outlets in the minuscule circle, THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER.

YES, YES.... THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER that couldn't even make it as a tabloid.

Yes, YES.... THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER that hired most of its staff from THE WASHINGTON TIMES, the mouthpiece for THE MOONIES, a dangerous CULT. And yes, THE WASHINGTON TIMES is another outlet in that minuscule circle.

Yes... the owner is anti-gay, antiabortion and a climate change denier.

It's always that minuscule circle.

NO! IT'S CONSERVATIVES THAT ARE NUTTIER THAN SQUIRREL POOP!
Honored Social Butterfly

If guns are the problem, then why isn't the entire nation like the south side of Chicago? The problem is criminals. The problems are liberal politicians. Y'all don't get it and never will. 

Of course, that "outdated  document" keeps getting in the way of those who would remove our rights. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Chicago has every strict laws on the purchase of handguns yet they continue to "lean" in to the city from surrounding areas. Yes, it is really the lack of a federal strategy. Like so many of America's ills today. How many people died today because Trump can not lead?

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

Chicago has every strict laws on the purchase of handguns yet they continue to "lean" in to the city from surrounding areas. Yes, it is really the lack of a federal strategy. Like so many of America's ills today. How many people died today because Trump can not lead?

Not as strict today as they were before 2010 -

Law Enforcement & Prosecutors in Chicago put a large part of the illegal gun problem blame on Gangs.

So if you get rid of the Gangs,  a large part of the problem goes away.

Which comes 1st the Chicken or the Egg?  Or can they just keep passing the buck back and forth between the Chicken and the Egg.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

Not as strict today as they were before 2010 -

Law Enforcement & Prosecutors in Chicago put a large part of the illegal gun problem blame on Gangs.

So if you get rid of the Gangs,  a large part of the problem goes away.

Which comes 1st the Chicken or the Egg?  Or can they just keep passing the buck back and forth between the Chicken and the Egg.

Wait, so you are saying they should be more strict? if they can not stop the suburbs from selling guns, what difference does it make how strict they are?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Wait, so you are saying they should be more strict? if they can not stop the suburbs from selling guns, what difference does it make how strict they are?

I'm saying that if the 2nd Amendment wasn't there and ALL guns were illegal, those in Chicago and other lawless cities would have them!  How, you ask?  Cocaine, Heroin, and other drugs are illegal in the U.S. yet they are available every city, town, and suburb.  Will you pass more laws to make them VERY illegal?  Liberals don't understand that thugs don't follow the laws and even want to defund police or get rid of them!

Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

I'm saying that if the 2nd Amendment wasn't there and ALL guns were illegal, those in Chicago and other lawless cities would have them!  How, you ask?  Cocaine, Heroin, and other drugs are illegal in the U.S. yet they are available every city, town, and suburb.  Will you pass more laws to make them VERY illegal?  Liberals don't understand that thugs don't follow the laws and even want to defund police or get rid of them!

This old chestnut has been debunked so many times it is laughable anyone still tries to use it.  While drugs such as cocaine and heroin are simple to grow and process, they also have huge profits per ounce.  Firearms are machine tools requiring special equipment and skills.  A study done in Australia, which banned pistols and semi automatic rifles found that the same AK-47 sold in America for $600 would cost $10,000 on the streets of Sidney. Your argument is not valid. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png