Charlottesville: The Wake-Up Call America Needed

Reply
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
265
Views

Re: Charlottesville: The Wake-Up Call America Needed

265 Views
Message 61 of 73

@NerdyMom wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

 

 

 

 


hey whitey, i took one of thos swab tests and got a major suprise. apparentlu my people were among the fist to leave africa and headed straight to the British Isles, Every smal percentge of other hertitage ( India, the Caucausus )is most likely a war ride taken by a soldier in the empire. I hav 0 native american, Im so white..lol..but it didnt change how i think about other races.  My wife too, most of the tall tales of her background were false.


Smiley Happy  I am getting one of those tests for my mom this month, for her birthday.  We will all be very interested to see what it says.  Totally off topic, but which one did you use, and do you recommend it?  


Got one from Ancestry for my GF for her B-Day.....she was able to confirm she was 60% Swedish, 15% Norwegian but was surprised to learn she was 20% Irish.....no one in her family knew.  She's developed her family tree and has traced many back to Sweden in the 1600's.  But with the new info about her Irish heritage, we went to my family tree which someone took the time to publish a two volume set and learned my family was on the 5th ship that landed near Plymouth Mass.  Comparing the two tree's we learned our relatives were actually neighbors, at one point, living on the same parcel of land.

 

The process took over 8 weeks from spittle to delivery, but the data she received was far more than either of us expected.  Have fun.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
265
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
274
Views

Re: Charlottesville: The Wake-Up Call America Needed

274 Views
Message 62 of 73

@MIseker wrote:

 

 

 

 


hey whitey, i took one of thos swab tests and got a major suprise. apparentlu my people were among the fist to leave africa and headed straight to the British Isles, Every smal percentge of other hertitage ( India, the Caucausus )is most likely a war ride taken by a soldier in the empire. I hav 0 native american, Im so white..lol..but it didnt change how i think about other races.  My wife too, most of the tall tales of her background were false.


Smiley Happy  I am getting one of those tests for my mom this month, for her birthday.  We will all be very interested to see what it says.  Totally off topic, but which one did you use, and do you recommend it?  

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
274
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
3
Kudos
277
Views

Re: Charlottesville: The Wake-Up Call America Needed

277 Views
Message 63 of 73

@mickstuder wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Good article, Chas, thanks for posting it.

 

Is this our wake-up call?  I sure wish it was, but I'm not optimistic.  There are too many whites that are too shallow to admit they harbor racist feelings.  While some, are just to embarrassed to admit it or just not self-aware enough to look inward.

 

We all know that most all posters here are white and look how some posters here, attack others that raise racial issues.  Just yesterday one poster attacked another because he thought the other poster posted articles about racism or raised the issue too much and another complained as well.

 

Mature, intelligent posters know that these posters reveal their own racist views with their comments, because if they weren't harboring racist feelings, it would be very easy to make no comment at all and move on to another topic, or contribute constructively.

 

Collectively, we are the problem.  Our generation raised those Alt-Right, KKK, White Supremacists protesters in Charlottesville.  We've seen posters here attack others and claim it's "white guilt"....how much intelligence does that comment take?  We have another that chooses to add, "the next thing they'll want is reparations".  Another looks for opportunities to invoke the name of Al Sharpton as if it's a dog whistle to rally the racists here to jump in and disrupt the topic and another proclaims he's "ready to discuss the topic, but only if everyone agree's with his terms and rules," like everyone must agree that we have lower expectations for minorities."  These posters are emblematic of our nation's "birth defect", and yet, none of them would admit they were part of the problem.  However, if we don't see ourselves as a part of the solution, we are indeed, the problem.


Yeah Thanks Chas

 

This post by Cent is also a - Great Post - as well because it illustrates - WHY - we shouldn't;t be optimistic about this incident being a - Wake Up Call - because this incident will just force people to take sides............like this Poster already has.........................

 

This Poster has repeatedly accused me of being a Racist - A Bigot - Etc.

 

One of the reasons he cites frequently to support his conclusions is because I Live in New Hampshire - A State that is 93% White........................out of a population of only 1.3 Million people that has remained virtually unchanged for the last decade..........................

 

Of all the Demographic Differences between New Hampshire and the Rest of the US States - that's the one he picks to associate me with 

 

Here are some of the many OTHER Demographic differences of New Hampshire

 

1. New Hampshire is part of the New England Region of the "USA which Has The Oldest Populations in the Country ......................Maine has the Oldest at 45 - NEW HAMPSHIRE is a Close Second at 43 and Vermont & NH swap second & third almost yearly

 

2. True NH only has 1.5% of it's population as African American.................but Lookey here - 2.7% are Asian - 3.5% are Hispanic or Latino............................5.7 % are Foreign Born....................106,000 are Veterans

 

3. 93% are High School Graduates - yet only 35% have a Bachelor Degree or Higher

 

This Poster is a example of someone who always likes to point out and then Beat the Drum Incessantly without any Real Basis on the Negatives....................

 

So Yeah - Wake Up Call - Not Going To Be The Kind This Country Needs Though

 

 

 

 

 

 


hey whitey, i took one of thos swab tests and got a major suprise. apparentlu my people were among the fist to leave africa and headed straight to the British Isles, Every smal percentge of other hertitage ( India, the Caucausus )is most likely a war ride taken by a soldier in the empire. I hav 0 native american, Im so white..lol..but it didnt change how i think about other races.  My wife too, most of the tall tales of her background were false.

So it begins.
Report Inappropriate Content
3
Kudos
277
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
287
Views

Re: Charlottesville: The Wake-Up Call America Needed

287 Views
Message 64 of 73

@fangoh45 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Opinion:  Charlottesville Is The Ugly Wake-Up Call That America Needed

By:  Sophia A. Nelson

 

"In this country 'American' means white. Everybody else has to hyphenate. " - Toni Morrison

 

 

To be an American is a gift and a privilege, a status that many outside our borders aspire to. But the problem with the definition of "American" is that it almost always seems to be interpreted as "white" — and if some have it their way, it always will.

America began as a nation of immigrants mostly from Europe: Dutch, Irish, English, Scottish and French. A country under the rule of the mighty British Crown.

And, of course, there were my ancestors who were captured and taken from West Africa in chains, brought over in the hulls of slave ships, treated like less than animals, sold off and robbed of their freedom as our founding fathers, like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and others, demanded their own liberty, even as they themselves owned other human beings.

Race and racism continue to be this great nation's birth defect: It is our weak link.

Eventually, slaves become Negroes, who become "colored" and finally Afro or African-Americans. Italian-Americans. Irish-Americans. Jewish-Americans. Native-Americans. Hispanic-Americans. The rest of us are known not simply as "Americans" but as other people who came after the English settled here in the 1600s.

If you know history, you know that is simply not true. It was not just white people who built this country. And if anyone needs to take their country back, it is the native people who lived here and had their land and sovereignty stolen from them.

The truth is, black people — slaves — built this country and created much of its wealth during its early years. The institution of slavery was a huge money maker for the American colonies. The wealth of the Southern colonies was in the billions of dollars at the height of slavery and up until the Civil War.

 

Much more at LINK:

 

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/opinion-us-charlottesville-ugly-wake-call-america-needed-n792251


Shouldn't there have been some serious wake up calls in the last 8 1/2 years:

Ft. Hood

Orlando

Boston and on and on?

 

Wake up call to what?  9/11 was our "wake-up call" to Islamic terrorism, wasn't it?  I don't understand your point.

 

Oh, wait, they weren't terrorists because the president would not refer to them as such. J Did trump refer to the Nazi's/KKK/Alt right as "Domestic Terrorists"?  The answer is no.  Does it make a difference?

 

Just some cases of workplace violence, eh?  No.....who called Orlando and Boston workplace violence?

 

What a hypocritcal, double standard from the lefties in this country.  Really?  How?  Please explain, otherwise, you're just throwing out crap just to see what sticks.

 

If one or more from the left create havoc, they're just expressing their contitutional right of freedom of speech and expression.  Fang, do you support Nazi's and the KKK?  David Duke?  White Supremacists?  Why the rant against "the Left" here?


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
287
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
283
Views

Re: Charlottesville: The Wake-Up Call America Needed

283 Views
Message 65 of 73

@fangoh45 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Opinion:  Charlottesville Is The Ugly Wake-Up Call That America Needed

By:  Sophia A. Nelson

 

"In this country 'American' means white. Everybody else has to hyphenate. " - Toni Morrison

 

 

To be an American is a gift and a privilege, a status that many outside our borders aspire to. But the problem with the definition of "American" is that it almost always seems to be interpreted as "white" — and if some have it their way, it always will.

America began as a nation of immigrants mostly from Europe: Dutch, Irish, English, Scottish and French. A country under the rule of the mighty British Crown.

And, of course, there were my ancestors who were captured and taken from West Africa in chains, brought over in the hulls of slave ships, treated like less than animals, sold off and robbed of their freedom as our founding fathers, like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and others, demanded their own liberty, even as they themselves owned other human beings.

Race and racism continue to be this great nation's birth defect: It is our weak link.

Eventually, slaves become Negroes, who become "colored" and finally Afro or African-Americans. Italian-Americans. Irish-Americans. Jewish-Americans. Native-Americans. Hispanic-Americans. The rest of us are known not simply as "Americans" but as other people who came after the English settled here in the 1600s.

If you know history, you know that is simply not true. It was not just white people who built this country. And if anyone needs to take their country back, it is the native people who lived here and had their land and sovereignty stolen from them.

The truth is, black people — slaves — built this country and created much of its wealth during its early years. The institution of slavery was a huge money maker for the American colonies. The wealth of the Southern colonies was in the billions of dollars at the height of slavery and up until the Civil War.

 

Much more at LINK:

 

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/opinion-us-charlottesville-ugly-wake-call-america-needed-n792251


Shouldn't there have been some serious wake up calls in the last 8 1/2 years:

Ft. Hood

Orlando

Boston and on and on?

Oh, wait, they weren't terrorists because the president would not refer to them as such. Just some cases of workplace violence, eh?

What a hypocritcal, double standard from the lefties in this country.

If one or more from the left create havoc, they're just expressing their contitutional right of freedom of speech and expression.


I await your rebuttal of the facts nerdymom presented.

So it begins.
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
283
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
3
Kudos
285
Views

Re: Charlottesville: The Wake-Up Call America Needed

285 Views
Message 66 of 73

Really?  Here's Obama's statement on Orlando.   And he and Biden visited the victims' families and the survivors of that brutal attack. 

 

"Here in Orlando, we are reminded not only of our obligations as a country to be resolute against terrorists, we are reminded not only of the need for us to implement smarter policies to prevent mass shootings, we're also reminded of what unites us as Americans, and that what unites us is far stronger than the hate and the terror of those who target us. 

 

"For so many people here who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, the Pulse Nightclub has always been a safe haven, a place to sing and dance, and most importantly, to be who you truly are -- including for so many people whose families are originally from Puerto Rico.  Sunday morning, that sanctuary was violated in the worst way imaginable.  So whatever the motivations of the killer, whatever influences led him down the path of violence and terror, whatever propaganda he was consuming from ISIL and al Qaeda, this was an act of terrorism but it was also an act of hate. "

 

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/blog/2016/06/12/president-obama-tragic-shooting-orlando

 

 

And for San Bernardino:

 

"The FBI is still gathering the facts about what happened in San Bernardino, but here is what we know. The victims were brutally murdered and injured by one of their coworkers and his wife. So far, we have no evidence that the killers were directed by a terrorist organization overseas, or that they were part of a broader conspiracy here at home. But it is clear that the two of them had gone down the dark path of radicalization, embracing a perverted interpretation of Islam that calls for war against America and the West. They had stockpiled assault weapons, ammunition, and pipe bombs. So this was an act of terrorism, designed to kill innocent people."

 

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/06/politics/transcript-obama-san-bernardino-isis-address/index.html

 

Again, he met with the survivors and families of the victims.

 

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/18/politics/san-bernardino-obama-visit/index.html

Report Inappropriate Content
3
Kudos
285
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
288
Views

Re: Charlottesville: The Wake-Up Call America Needed

288 Views
Message 67 of 73

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Opinion:  Charlottesville Is The Ugly Wake-Up Call That America Needed

By:  Sophia A. Nelson

 

"In this country 'American' means white. Everybody else has to hyphenate. " - Toni Morrison

 

 

To be an American is a gift and a privilege, a status that many outside our borders aspire to. But the problem with the definition of "American" is that it almost always seems to be interpreted as "white" — and if some have it their way, it always will.

America began as a nation of immigrants mostly from Europe: Dutch, Irish, English, Scottish and French. A country under the rule of the mighty British Crown.

And, of course, there were my ancestors who were captured and taken from West Africa in chains, brought over in the hulls of slave ships, treated like less than animals, sold off and robbed of their freedom as our founding fathers, like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and others, demanded their own liberty, even as they themselves owned other human beings.

Race and racism continue to be this great nation's birth defect: It is our weak link.

Eventually, slaves become Negroes, who become "colored" and finally Afro or African-Americans. Italian-Americans. Irish-Americans. Jewish-Americans. Native-Americans. Hispanic-Americans. The rest of us are known not simply as "Americans" but as other people who came after the English settled here in the 1600s.

If you know history, you know that is simply not true. It was not just white people who built this country. And if anyone needs to take their country back, it is the native people who lived here and had their land and sovereignty stolen from them.

The truth is, black people — slaves — built this country and created much of its wealth during its early years. The institution of slavery was a huge money maker for the American colonies. The wealth of the Southern colonies was in the billions of dollars at the height of slavery and up until the Civil War.

 

Much more at LINK:

 

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/opinion-us-charlottesville-ugly-wake-call-america-needed-n792251


Shouldn't there have been some serious wake up calls in the last 8 1/2 years:

Ft. Hood

Orlando

Boston and on and on?

Oh, wait, they weren't terrorists because the president would not refer to them as such. Just some cases of workplace violence, eh?

What a hypocritcal, double standard from the lefties in this country.

If one or more from the left create havoc, they're just expressing their contitutional right of freedom of speech and expression.

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
288
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
3
Kudos
297
Views

Re: Charlottesville: The Wake-Up Call America Needed

297 Views
Message 68 of 73

It breaks my heart that people died this weekend.   Just breaks my heart.  

 

Still, I don't know if it's enough to wake us up.   I hope so.

 

I think, for the white people who base their worth on somehow being "better" than others, they will never ever be OK with becoming a minority, or what have you.  

 

I wish they could see that we "all" benefit when all people can reach their full potential.  How rich and vibrant society would be, if we could just allow that to happen.  

 

Report Inappropriate Content
3
Kudos
297
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
302
Views

Re: Charlottesville: The Wake-Up Call America Needed

302 Views
Message 69 of 73

@mickstuder wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Good article, Chas, thanks for posting it.

 

Is this our wake-up call?  I sure wish it was, but I'm not optimistic.  There are too many whites that are too shallow to admit they harbor racist feelings.  While some, are just to embarrassed to admit it or just not self-aware enough to look inward.

 

We all know that most all posters here are white and look how some posters here, attack others that raise racial issues.  Just yesterday one poster attacked another because he thought the other poster posted articles about racism or raised the issue too much and another complained as well.

 

Mature, intelligent posters know that these posters reveal their own racist views with their comments, because if they weren't harboring racist feelings, it would be very easy to make no comment at all and move on to another topic, or contribute constructively.

 

Collectively, we are the problem.  Our generation raised those Alt-Right, KKK, White Supremacists protesters in Charlottesville.  We've seen posters here attack others and claim it's "white guilt"....how much intelligence does that comment take?  We have another that chooses to add, "the next thing they'll want is reparations".  Another looks for opportunities to invoke the name of Al Sharpton as if it's a dog whistle to rally the racists here to jump in and disrupt the topic and another proclaims he's "ready to discuss the topic, but only if everyone agree's with his terms and rules," like everyone must agree that we have lower expectations for minorities."  These posters are emblematic of our nation's "birth defect", and yet, none of them would admit they were part of the problem.  However, if we don't see ourselves as a part of the solution, we are indeed, the problem.


Yeah Thanks Chas

 

This post by Cent is also a - Great Post - as well because it illustrates - WHY - we shouldn't;t be optimistic about this incident being a - Wake Up Call - because this incident will just force people to take sides............like this Poster already has...................

 

Bizarre response, Mick.  Sides?  Are there "sides" to the issue of racism?  Please do explain what those "sides" are....

 

This Poster has repeatedly accused me of being a Racist - A Bigot - Etc. When one fails to actually "listen", they rarely learn anything new.  I have NOT "repeatedly" accused you of being a racist or a bigot, though I have pointed out racist comments you've made such as your posting you wanted to go to Ferguson and kill all the protesters.  This is not a comment someone with an open mind would make.

 

Just recently you posted you doubted anyone would have their mind changed by another poster here; that would be true of someone who is obstinately dovoted to their view and not open to other opinions, thoughts or views.  It's the definition of the term bigot.  Again, I'm not calling you anything.....the word has a definition, you decide if it fits....not me.

 

One of the reasons he cites frequently to support his conclusions is because I Live in New Hampshire - A State that is 93% White........................out of a population of only 1.3 Million people that has remained virtually unchanged for the last decade......

 

Again, bizarre.....you claim you know why I cite my reasons?  It's easy......and it has absolutely nothing to do with the diversity or lack thereof in New Hampshire and has everything to do with what you CHOOSE to post.  In fact, you failed to mention that I'm one of the very few posters who have complimented you publically in this forum for some of your well researched topics.  IMO, an open-minded might mention that fact.

 

This Poster is a example of someone who always likes to point out and then Beat the Drum Incessantly without any Real Basis on the Negatives....

 

The "negatives" occurred this weekend with three dead....no REAL BASIS is necessary....

 

But I, for one, appreciate your illustrating my point.....it's fair easier for some to sit back and attack others that raise the topic versus giving any real, thoughtful contribution to the topic....it's how many racists defend their actions of doing nothing and blaming others for the issue.  And obviously, I'm NOT calling you a racist here, I'm pointing out that it's the same response we see from many racists; others may do the same as well, because there is nothing else they can think of to be constructive.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
302
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
301
Views

Re: Charlottesville: The Wake-Up Call America Needed

301 Views
Message 70 of 73

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Good article, Chas, thanks for posting it.

 

Is this our wake-up call?  I sure wish it was, but I'm not optimistic.  There are too many whites that are too shallow to admit they harbor racist feelings.  While some, are just to embarrassed to admit it or just not self-aware enough to look inward.

 

We all know that most all posters here are white and look how some posters here, attack others that raise racial issues.  Just yesterday one poster attacked another because he thought the other poster posted articles about racism or raised the issue too much and another complained as well.

 

Mature, intelligent posters know that these posters reveal their own racist views with their comments, because if they weren't harboring racist feelings, it would be very easy to make no comment at all and move on to another topic, or contribute constructively.

 

Collectively, we are the problem.  Our generation raised those Alt-Right, KKK, White Supremacists protesters in Charlottesville.  We've seen posters here attack others and claim it's "white guilt"....how much intelligence does that comment take?  We have another that chooses to add, "the next thing they'll want is reparations".  Another looks for opportunities to invoke the name of Al Sharpton as if it's a dog whistle to rally the racists here to jump in and disrupt the topic and another proclaims he's "ready to discuss the topic, but only if everyone agree's with his terms and rules," like everyone must agree that we have lower expectations for minorities."  These posters are emblematic of our nation's "birth defect", and yet, none of them would admit they were part of the problem.  However, if we don't see ourselves as a part of the solution, we are indeed, the problem.


Yeah Thanks Chas

 

This post by Cent is also a - Great Post - as well because it illustrates - WHY - we shouldn't;t be optimistic about this incident being a - Wake Up Call - because this incident will just force people to take sides............like this Poster already has.........................

 

This Poster has repeatedly accused me of being a Racist - A Bigot - Etc.

 

One of the reasons he cites frequently to support his conclusions is because I Live in New Hampshire - A State that is 93% White........................out of a population of only 1.3 Million people that has remained virtually unchanged for the last decade..........................

 

Of all the Demographic Differences between New Hampshire and the Rest of the US States - that's the one he picks to associate me with 

 

Here are some of the many OTHER Demographic differences of New Hampshire

 

1. New Hampshire is part of the New England Region of the "USA which Has The Oldest Populations in the Country ......................Maine has the Oldest at 45 - NEW HAMPSHIRE is a Close Second at 43 and Vermont & NH swap second & third almost yearly

 

2. True NH only has 1.5% of it's population as African American.................but Lookey here - 2.7% are Asian - 3.5% are Hispanic or Latino............................5.7 % are Foreign Born....................106,000 are Veterans

 

3. 93% are High School Graduates - yet only 35% have a Bachelor Degree or Higher

 

This Poster is a example of someone who always likes to point out and then Beat the Drum Incessantly without any Real Basis on the Negatives....................

 

So Yeah - Wake Up Call - Not Going To Be The Kind This Country Needs Though

 

 

 

 

 

 

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
301
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Now until February 11, play this classic game online at AARP. Get in the game and play now.


jeopardy for aarp logo

Top Authors