Honored Social Butterfly

Carmen Best, Seattle’s top cop, emails resignation notice to officers

BY:  Edmund Demarche

Carmen Best, the Seattle police chief, emailed her resignation notice late Monday, hours after the city council made good on its promise to approve sweeping proposals that would cut about 100 officers and slash the department’s budget.

Best’s email, which was obtained by Jason Rantz, a local radio host, said that her retirement will be effective Sept. 2.

“I wanted you to hear this from me, but some media have reached this conclusion on their own,” she wrote. “This was a difficult decision for me, but when it’s time, it’s time.”

BLM ACTIVIST JUSTIFIES CHICAGO LOOTING, SAYS STORES HAVE INSURANCE

She thanked Mayor Jenny Durkan for her “her continuous support” and said that the Seattle PD is “truly the best police department in the country, and please trust me when I say, the vast majority of  the people in Seattle support you and appreciate you.”

Durkan and Best had urged the council to slow down its discussions about police budgets, saying the issue could be taken up in earnest when the 2021 city budget is considered.

They also said any layoffs would disproportionately target newer officers, often hired from minority communities, and would inevitably lead to lawsuits.

Brandi Kruse, a reporter for Q13 Fox, tweeted that there is a press conference set for 11 a.m. Tuesday. She said two sources told her that the announcement is imminent.

The Seattle City Council also cut Best’s roughly $285,000 annual salary and the pay of other top police leaders, although the final cuts to Best’s salary were significantly more modest than those approved last week. The council plan also takes officers off a team that removes homeless camps.

On Monday, only Council Member Kshama Sawant voted against the budget package, saying it does not do enough to defund the police.

Best, who served in the department for 28 years, ended her email saying that she looks forward to “seeing how this department moves forward through the process of re-envisioning public safety. I relish the work that will be done by all of you.”

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

How much more evidence is required to understand liberal policy failure?  

I suppose it needs to come to your city or county...

VIMTSTL
Regular Social Butterfly

The fact that many officers and now she has finally quit, is because they're not allowed do the job they were hired to do and because too many of their city and state leaders didn't and still don't have their backs...period.

Law enforcement leaving the force has nothing to do with any of the reasons given by the liberal dems world of fact denial. It has nothing to do with monies to train or hire or any of the other nonsensical reasons given.  They are leaving because they are not allowed, by the liberals running their cities and states, to enforce the laws they were hired to enforce! And sadly, because the people in charge are a bunch of cowards.

Cowtowing to the insanity of the rioters and some protesters insane demands, is not how this country gains the respect necessary for law and order to be the rule.  This country, when President Trump is allowed to do his job, does not cowtow to terrorists OR rioters.  Period!  As we all see, that is not the case in the cities and states run by the cowardly liberals.

Biden and the rest of the liberal dems is the party of chaos...they prove this everyday by their actions and their constant denial of the facts.

TRUMP-PENCE 2020!!! To Save This Country From The Insanity of The Dems!
Recognized Social Butterfly

sunluvgal,

You never bothered to answer if you were willing to pay more for these same services. Since more is being spent on covid and revenues are down, the only way to maintain the same services, would be to raise more revenue (taxes).

As far as your world of denial, read her resignation letter again and let us know where any of the "alternative facts" that you presented are noted. 

The amount of money being spent for law enforcement and incarcerations is ridiculous.  If it was actually working our prison population would be going down.  We are spending money putting people in jail for offenses that should just be a ticket or probation at the worst, thereby spending extra money for extra enforcement that is not making any safer.

Balancing a budget involves deciding what is really needed and using phrases like "cowtowing to demands" just plays into the political divide.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:

BY:  Edmund Demarche

Carmen Best, the Seattle police chief, emailed her resignation notice late Monday, hours after the city council made good on its promise to approve sweeping proposals that would cut about 100 officers and slash the department’s budget.

Best’s email, which was obtained by Jason Rantz, a local radio host, said that her retirement will be effective Sept. 2.

“I wanted you to hear this from me, but some media have reached this conclusion on their own,” she wrote. “This was a difficult decision for me, but when it’s time, it’s time.”

BLM ACTIVIST JUSTIFIES CHICAGO LOOTING, SAYS STORES HAVE INSURANCE

She thanked Mayor Jenny Durkan for her “her continuous support” and said that the Seattle PD is “truly the best police department in the country, and please trust me when I say, the vast majority of  the people in Seattle support you and appreciate you.”

Durkan and Best had urged the council to slow down its discussions about police budgets, saying the issue could be taken up in earnest when the 2021 city budget is considered.

They also said any layoffs would disproportionately target newer officers, often hired from minority communities, and would inevitably lead to lawsuits.

Brandi Kruse, a reporter for Q13 Fox, tweeted that there is a press conference set for 11 a.m. Tuesday. She said two sources told her that the announcement is imminent.

The Seattle City Council also cut Best’s roughly $285,000 annual salary and the pay of other top police leaders, although the final cuts to Best’s salary were significantly more modest than those approved last week. The council plan also takes officers off a team that removes homeless camps.

On Monday, only Council Member Kshama Sawant voted against the budget package, saying it does not do enough to defund the police.

Best, who served in the department for 28 years, ended her email saying that she looks forward to “seeing how this department moves forward through the process of re-envisioning public safety. I relish the work that will be done by all of you.”

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

How much more evidence is required to understand liberal policy failure?  

I suppose it needs to come to your city or county...

She did the correct thing as it is time for a new look at everything as that is how you get improvement.

Now here is the far right Trump approach to everything:

Trump is looking at how he can bar AMERICAN CITIZENS & LEGAL RESIDENTS FROM RETURNING TO THE US FROM FOREIGN COUNTRIES IF THEY HAVE THE VIRUS. They would have to prove they were virus free to get back to their home. I have a feeling this is the sticking point right now and if Trump finds a way he will declare some type of emergency and then do it by executive order as Congress would never approve something like this.

Just think go to Canada or Mexico and you never get home again. Anyone on a tour to a foreign  country might never be able to return home again. Keep in mind when the virus first started Trump wanted to keep Americans on an American Cruse ship from landing in the USA because it would increase the virus case count.

This is what we have in the WH as President. A 3rd world mentally impared Dictator.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Carmen Best, Seattle’s top cop, emails resignation notice to officer

------------------------------------------

Good, he was part of the problem. Cops are quitting all over the country. Good, let's hire cops who aren't afraid to take responsibility for their actions.

Trump is an aperture in the fundament.
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Wow I'm really sorry to hear this. It's certainly understandable, considering what she was up against, but extremely unfortunate for the people of Seattle. She was one of the few sane people there.

Police are leaving their positions all over the United States because of the liberal dems insanity.

TRUMP-PENCE 2020!!! To Save This Country From The Insanity of The Dems!
0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

JimC and sunluvngal,

Would you be willing to have your taxes increased (due to decreased revenue) in order to pay for more services?

Last year Seattle brought on 108 new officers and the force still shrunk.

So, while I am against laying off any officers due to the cost of training them, having a "hiring freeze" to balance a budget makes sense.

Simply not hiring new officers will reduce the force by over a hundred in less than a year.

BTW, part of the budget proposal was reducing Best's (and other senior officers) salary to help with the shortfall.

Defunding the police is a really bad name for this and definitely leads to a political divide.  The real question is how to best spend the limited resources you have.  That happens in private businesses (at the least most successful ones) every year and also needs to happen to government agencies so that available money is put to the best possible use.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png