Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Carl Icahn Dumps $31 Million in Stocks

Message 1 of 7

@ChasKy53wrote:

@gordyflwrote:

Gary David Cohn is an American investment banker who is serving as chief economic advisor to President Donald Trump. He was formerly the president and chief operating officer of Goldman Sachs from 2006 to 2017.

Cohn's salary at Goldman Sachs was $22 million in 2014. He received $21 million in 2015.
He received a severance package worth around $285 million – mostly in stock – from Goldman Sachs upon leaving to join the administration of Donald Trump.

In the White House he took a salary of $30,000, considerably less than every other high ranking administration official.

Critics of Cohn say he's arrogant, aggressive, abrasive and risk-prone work style.
Cohn's supporters see these qualities as advantages - "He's a trader. He has that whole feel in his body and brain and fingertips."

Even though some say he's eyeing a job at the Fed, does he really need to take a White House job to get there?
Or, is he really in the White House to protect his and Goldman Sachs investments?

Makes me wonder...

Oh but it just 'looks' funny. Besides anything goes with trump supporters.

Keep in mind Carl was on aTrump adv. group at Treasury about this time last year. He took a hedge for something like 3 million that a certain item would happen (I posted in detail on it months ago but forget all the details now). It happened. Carl took his 3 million, and left the Adv group. So it seems this would be nothing new.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

@gordyflwrote:

Gary David Cohn is an American investment banker who is serving as chief economic advisor to President Donald Trump. He was formerly the president and chief operating officer of Goldman Sachs from 2006 to 2017.

Cohn's salary at Goldman Sachs was $22 million in 2014. He received $21 million in 2015.
He received a severance package worth around $285 million – mostly in stock – from Goldman Sachs upon leaving to join the administration of Donald Trump.

In the White House he took a salary of $30,000, considerably less than every other high ranking administration official.

Critics of Cohn say he's arrogant, aggressive, abrasive and risk-prone work style.
Cohn's supporters see these qualities as advantages - "He's a trader. He has that whole feel in his body and brain and fingertips."

Even though some say he's eyeing a job at the Fed, does he really need to take a White House job to get there?
Or, is he really in the White House to protect his and Goldman Sachs investments?

Makes me wonder...

Oh but it just 'looks' funny. Besides anything goes with trump supporters.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

Cohn's salary at Goldman Sachs was $22 million in 2014. He received $21 million in t2015.

Makes me wonder...

Gary Cohn's name was also mentioned in the "Paradise Papers" - offshore tax havens, and he was involved in helping Greece hide it's debt which compounded their financial crisis.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

Of course it was insider trading!!  Members of congress are getting rich in the stockmarket as I speak,  not because they know more about stocks than you or I do.  It's who they know and what they are doing for who they know.  The bigger problem is we allow them to do it.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

So....would this be something like 'insider trading'?   There is an investment philosophy out there that goes like "Buy Low, Sell High"..........or is it "Sell High, Buy Low".  If you know ahead of time what's coming up ahead, that's a slam-dunk for a speculator.  

Nah.....'the donald' wouldn't do something like that.  Or would he?  What he learned at his daddy's knee could have carried over into later life....at least, I suppose it would. 

Now I've heard tell 'the donald' values loyalty to him above pretty much all else.  That would include his Country and everyone in it as far as I can see.  Them that 'got it'....get by.  Them that don't get got. 

Now, as long as we're playing the suppose game, suppose 'the donald' knew full well what saying that kind of stuff out loud would do to the stock market.  Past behavior, donchaknow?  Why would it behave differently now. 

Now....suppose a buddy of yours you owed would figure you'd be even IF he had the inside track on stuff like this.  Might keep you from digging into your own pocket.  Not your money, is it?  Nothing wrong about looking out for your friends is there?  That's just good business, you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.  

Hey.....all you good business people out there....you thought this guy was the greatest thing since sliced bread.  How you like them rotten apples?  You still a 'buddy'?  Or have you changed your mind because you're now one of the ones who got 'stiffed'?  Hmmmmm?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

Confirms my hypothesis that some bff's of Donald received a heads up about his decision, while some actually in his Administration were blindsided by his decision.   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Carl Icahn Dumps $31 Million in Stocks

Message 7 of 7

Icahn Dumped $31 Million in Steel-linked Stock Ahead of Tariff Announcement

New York billionaire Carl Icahn, a longtime ally of President Trump who briefly served in the Trump administration, sold $31 million in stock in a company that depends on steel just weeks before the president announced steep tariffs on imported steel.

In a filing submitted to the Securities and Exchange Commission on Feb. 22, Icahn revealed that he had dumped nearly a million shares of Manitowoc Company Inc.

Icahn had not actively traded Manitowoc stock until February, the website reported, making no purchases or sales between January 2015 and Feb. 11.

The company was described as a top global manufacturer of cranes and other heavy equipment that relied heavily on steel for its products.

Days later, Trump announced a 25 percent tariff on steel imports and a 10 percent tariff on imported aluminum.

Manitowoc stock tanked, losing about 6 percent of its value, and Reuters blamed the drop on the fact that Manitowoc was a “major consumer of steel.”

The report does not allege wrongdoing, but notes that “Carl Icahn has impeccable timing.”

The billionaire investor served the White House briefly as a “special adviser” to the president but stepped down in August as the New Yorker magazine was set to publish an article about how he was allegedly using his White house connections to protect his investments.

https://nypost.com/2018/03/02/icahn-dumped-31m-in-steel-linked-stock-ahead-of-tariff-announcement/

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.

Top Authors