Learn how to use Uber, Lyft and other ride-sharing services!  Register now for a free AARP webinar Nov. 18.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Affluence Corrupts US Higher Education

Message 31 of 35

The whole notion of very rich people "paying" or bribing Ivy League Institutions of Higher Learning to allow their non-gifted, often academically challenged offspring, to have a seat at the table is, I'm sure, NOT a new phenomenon.  Everyone has heard of how sizable charitable donations are made or "gifts" are given to universities and I'm sure not all of them are presented merely to help the university or to fatten the giver's deductions on their tax return.  No, in fact, I'm sure, as we have seen here, that many, many wealthy donors have opened the doors for many of their children to be admitted to university with less than stellar grades or SAT scores and also to remain enrolled despite poor or failing grades and sometimes with equally poor academic behavior as well.  In fact, I can think of one such person who in all probability benefited from like parental academic palm-greasing and he is enthroned right now at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 35

It’s much easier for high income mediocrity to succeed than it is for low income genius.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 35

LISTEN TO THE TRUMP CULT MEMBERS ON THIS FORUM

I worked hard to get where I am

The People Who Aren't Where I am are lazy and trying to live off the Government

Everybody in the USA has the same Opportunity

Let people accumulate big piles of money and they can do bad stuff with it

For the love of money is the root of all evil.

Avarice in action.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 35

Tuesday's cheating allegations will make a blockbuster movie script: Rich, privileged people trying to cheat their way through the system, complete with over-the-top efforts to conceal their alleged actions from their children and a dash of celebrity to boot.

Details: The alleged crimes uncovered by Operation Varsity Blues, as the FBI dubbed it, "included cheating on entrance exams, as well as bribing college officials to say certain students were coming to compete on athletic teams when those students were not in fact athletes," the Washington Post reported.

• "Numerous schools were targeted, including Georgetown University, Yale University, Stanford University, the University of Texas, the University of Southern California and UCLA."
  • College coaches were in on it at some of these schools, taking huge kickbacks to pass off students as recruits, the indictments allege.

Axios Sports editor Kendall Baker notes: On the heels of the college basketball recruiting scandal, in which college coaches paid bribes to the parents of top high school athletes, we now have the rich parents of mediocre (at best) high school athletes paying off college coaches.

• The indictments also allege parents actively hid their actions from their children, some of whom were reportedly unaware their admissions were unearned.
  • The scheme was allegedly coordinated by college admissions adviser William Singer, who used a nonprofit as a "slush fund" for bribes as the WashPost characterized it.

Why it matters: This was the "largest college admittance scam ever charged by the Department of Justice," U.S. Attorney Andrew Lelling said today.

• "Thirty-three parents were charged ... prosecutors said there could be additional indictments to come," the N.Y. Times reported.
  • "The parents included the television star Lori Loughlin and her husband, the fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli; the actress Felicity Huffman; and William E. McGlashan Jr., a partner at the private equity firm TPG."
  • "We're not talking about donating a building ... we're talking about fraud," Lelling said.

The bottom line: These weren't victimless actions. It's likely that teens whose parents weren't allegedly paying millions to cheat the system were denied spots at these schools.

Source - https://www.axios.com/operation-varsity-blues-c68819de-1112-4d5d-84f4-6c91dacf75e4.html

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

Capitalism/Affluence Corrupts US Higher Education

Message 35 of 35

Actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin are among dozens of people charged by the FBI in an elite college admission scheme, documents unsealed Tuesday in Boston revealed. 

The Hollywood stars allegedly joined CEOs of private and public companies, real estate professionals and a fashion designer in paying up to $6 million in bribes to ensure that their children were accepted to schools such as Yale and Georgetown.

Most of the parents paid $250,000 to $400,000 per student. 

The alleged scheme, which the FBI called a “nationwide conspiracy,” allowed parents to pay for their children to cheat on exams and apply to elite schools as student athletes, regardless of their actual skills.

Top college coaches at the schools are also among those charged, but authorities said they are not investigating the schools themselves.

Federal prosecutors said 33 parents bribed entrance exam administrators along with varsity coaches and administrators.

The bribery ring allegedly got its start several years ago when William Rick Singer founded a for-profit college admissions company in Newport Beach, California, that masqueraded as a not-for-profit group, according to authorities.

Singer’s “sham charity” allowed him to conceal the nature of the payments made by parents, who could then “take the tax write-off at the end of the year,” U.S. Attorney Andrew Lelling said at a press conference Tuesday morning.

More than 200 law enforcement officials were involved in “Operation Varsity Blues” over the course of a year, arresting over 50 people in six states on both coasts, authorities said at the press conference. Most defendants had been taken into custody as of noon Eastern time on Tuesday. 

LISTEN TO THE TRUMP CULT MEMBERS ON THIS FORUM

I worked hard to get where I am

The People Who Aren't Where I am are lazy and trying to live off the Government

Everybody in the USA has the same Opportunity

Source - https://www.huffpost.com/entry/felicity-huffman-lori-loughlin-charged-college-admission-scheme_n_5c8...

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors